Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Using either the seasonpass or greenpoison jailbreak methods and installing xbmc, do the stock appletv functionalities still work. For example, can I still use netflix and stream movies, tv shows and music from itunes on my computer?

Absolutely! You just get new menus after installing apps like XBMC, Plex, etc., but the Apple menus and functions are all still there.

FYI - Apple seems to be getting "hip" to jail broken devices (see recent iPhone discussions) and that is a little concerning. It''s not a given that jail breaking and all functionality will always work... let's hope so - at least for the ATV2.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm not sure you understand the benefits of having a NAS. It's having a low powered centralized data storage that everyone on the network can use and access so that no one specific computer needs to be on. Having specific computers on to access specific content is the more convoluted way of doing things and relying on that one computer to be available is silly. Now if you live alone and you're the only one using things, sure it makes less sense, but if you have multiple people in the house with multiple devices accessing content, it doesn't make any sense for someone to store something on one computer only to have them leave the house with it and then that content is not available. Centralized data storage is how offices work, it's how the cloud works, and it really is more of the future for networked homes.

Plus not every format that XBMC plays is outdated. I've got a Canon DSLR that takes pictures in CR2 format and the Apple TV can't play those. In fact most devices can't. XBMC can. That's just one example of a format that is not outdated. It's also silly to argue the fact that XBMC plays every format possible but Apple TV is good enough cuz it plays a limited selection of formats.

I understand fully what a NAS is and what benefits and disadvantages it provides. But no one is leaving the house with their iMac or Mac Mini on their back. And with Home Sharing, your desktop functions as a media server. And Snow Leopard allows you to have several accounts logged in at one time. And guess what? Using Home Sharing, the Apple TV2 can pull from all of the logged in accounts from a single computer and across multiple computers as well.

In that situation and with the features Snow Leopard offers in this respect, adding a NAS can be seen as a convoluted extra step.

I think you're stuck in the mindset where a laptop is the only device that can be used as a computer. In this day and age of powerful smartphones and tablets, more and more people are using desktops in combination with tablets or even smartphones for mobile use and skipping on laptop purchases.

Or maybe Windows PCs can't do like I described what Snow Leopard can do. But if you own a desktop Mac as your main computer like me, owning a NAS for media access can certainly be seen as a convoluted device in your setup. Sort of like an unnecessary middleman. That's the point I was getting across.

Regarding your comment on centralized data storage, I don't believe it is going in the direction of a single home server that everyone uses (like a NAS). I think it is going the way of everyone in the home owning their OWN home servers. I think people will be using desktop computers as their own personal home servers. They will perform all of their real work and processor intensive stuff on their desktops and connect all of their mobile devices to them for syncing and access to all of their media and documents. My family is already doing this now and it works very well.

I believe people's view of their files on their computer within a home they share with others in the family is more similar to the idea of several businesses operating out of one building rather than the idea of several employees accessing files within one business.

Last edited:

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Absolutely! You just get new menus after installing apps like XBMC, Plex, etc., but the Apple menus and functions are all still there.

FYI - Apple seems to be getting "hip" to jail broken devices (see recent iPhone discussions) and that is a little concerning. It''s not a given that jail breaking and all functionality will always work... let's hope so - at least for the ATV2.

I don't really need to jailbreak but if I did, I suppose that would be of some concern to me. I know most of you can find work arounds but for me, I know I would be the one who got really used to a certain feature that was only available through jailbreaking, then a new IOS would defeat the jailbreak and I would lose that feature--or not be able to update the OS. Much of this is certainly personality driven. :)

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I don't really need to jailbreak but if I did, I suppose that would be of some concern to me. I know most of you can find work arounds but for me, I know I would be the one who got really used to a certain feature that was only available through jailbreaking, then a new IOS would defeat the jailbreak and I would lose that feature--or not be able to update the OS. Much of this is certainly personality driven. :)

True, but I think he was actually referring to the fact that Apple has put in some JB detection in its iBooks app for iPhone/iPad. If you try to open a document/book in iBooks, and your iOS device is JB'n, iBooks will tell you that you need to restore your device before you can view the doc/book. I believe what he was getting at is even if you have a JB'n device, Apple could break it's own apps when it detects that.

Restinbeast

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
First of all, I never said it was the "only" benefit. You might want to reread my post. And actually, you can argue that the XBMC and NAS way is the "retarded" and convoluted way. You already have a computer. Apple allows you to stream directly from that computer to any number of ATVs you own. That's A --> C directly and B does not have to exist. You basically invented a 3rd one that Apple does not require.

Not sure why I am going to respond to this as if you polled a group of people with a clue about modern network set ups I'd wager less than 5% would agree with your side. But, anyway, first of all you didn't technically say outdated file formats were the only reason, but it was the only reason you listed, thus you implied it was the only reason. Also you were incorrect about the file formats being outdated and assume that whatever itunes uses is the most common/modern format available which is not true.

The benefits of owning a NAS are innumerable. As one of the other posters mentioned servers are literally the way all networks of information run nowadays and will be for the foreseeable future. For starters let me ask you, what kind of storage capacity do you have on your Mac Mini? Because my Synology NAS has 10TB of storage and is nearly full of movies and music. I would have a pretty hard time squeezing that on a MM without a Drobo or multiple 4 tb externals attached (boom literally $1000+ expense for anyone with a large media collection). So let me get this clear are you saying that it is more efficient to go from signal on ATV2-->Itunes on MM-->external hd-->itunes on mm-->atv2. This is laughable.

But your scenario requires you to purchase a separate NAS (which is really just an underpowered computer) and then you have to copy from your main computer to the NAS (another computer) and then stream to the ATV. So that method is pretty convoluted and also costs more.

Lol? How are NAS's underpowered exactly since you seem to be exclaiming it over and over again. Yes they are lower power computers than a Mac mini, but guess what... THEY ONLY SERVE UP MEDIA. They do not power graphics or high intensity programs or anything else, they just serve media and have an abundance of power for performing this task. So this entire section of your tirade is moot.

My Mac Mini (my main computer) streams directly to the ATV2. I never turned it off even before the ATV so why would I need to turn it off now? I don't need to buy some underpowered NAS to hold my content when I have a full OS, hard drive already built in, and several USB and firewire ports if I want extra storage.

Internal MM harddrives are not high enough capacity to store large media collections, so basically you are saying it makes more sense to spend the same amount of money (actually more money) on external harddrives (and be limited by the speed of USB or FW) instead of getting an external harddrive that is also a NAS? HUH? When Bieber's "Never Say Never" is released on the Itunes store you might find you need to delete "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" in order to make room for it.

To say that Apple's solution is convoluted is ridiculous. I can't envision a simpler solution. The only people it is convoluted to is those that introduce the use of a NAS into their setup. Which can be considered a convoluted step to take when your computer already performs those functions and much better than an underpowered NAS does.

Not in any way does a MM stream media more efficiently over a network than a NAS does, sorry you just are plain wrong. The computer always has other processes going on that the NAS doesn't worry about, and if needs an external HD anyway, that is an additional connection that slows it down.

So maybe you should call your setup convoluted and complain that Apple does not cater well to convoluted setups? That would make more sense because Apple's solution is dead simple.

Having a HD listed on every computer connected to your network that shares all of your media is pretty dead simple don't you think? Yes, admittedly I called the Apple flow, requiring you to communicate with Itunes on an operating computer convoluted, but simply pointing out that in my case I have to purchase a NAS does NOTHING to negate what I said. You are claiming that ATV2 asking Itunes on a separately running Mac mini to pull media off an external HD (where else could you store it) via USB or FireWire, then send it back along your network connection to the ATV2 is less convoluted than NAS --> ATV2, are you kidding me? Something tells me you have a very small house/apartment, and not a vast network with multiple bedrooms and living rooms trying to efficiently stream media. I have been paid to set up home networks on multiple 6000+ sq ft houses. What makes you such an expert on networking?

Please tell me you were joking? MKV (when it contains h.264) is a good container but it is only popular among the ripping and torrenting crowds. It's a very small player in the grand scheme of things. And my reference to old outdated formats was divx, xvid, avi, and all the other old formats people often use XMBC for. They are very outdated and poor formats and codecs compared to modern ones like h.264 and .m4v which the Apple TV uses.

You honestly think this is a small % of the people that are involved in the HTPC community? Have you ever heard of Blu Ray? Massive amounts of people buy blu rays and transcode them via MKV to be available on their streaming boxes for viewing outside their main HT set up. And although I never use torrents b/c I don't believe in piracy, 90% of torrent traffic is video sharing, in which MKV is the most prevalent format.

Final notes...
I love Apple's file sharing functions for many reasons, I have all my macs networked together and this element of OS X is invaluable for swapping files around and so forth, this does not mean it is ideal for ATV2.

I loathe Itunes and even if I didn't have a NAS it would annoy me that I have to have such a bloated POS software open and running 24/7 to get full functioning out of my ATV2. Not to mention the native Itunes interface on ATV2 is incredibly inelegant compared to a program like XBMC which my fiancee actually finds infinitely more intuitive.

I love Apple products, I own ridiculous amounts of them, but I am still able to call out their flaws. Don't blindly let your fanboydom prevent you from seeing the superiority of alternative methods and products.

Restinbeast

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Regarding your comment on centralized data storage, I don't believe it is going in the direction of a single home server that everyone uses (like a NAS). I think it is going the way of everyone in the home owning their OWN home servers. I think people will be using desktop computers as their own personal home servers. They will perform all of their real work and processor intensive stuff on their desktops and connect all of their mobile devices to them for syncing and access to all of their media and documents.

Wait... you think the future of computing is desktops now?? Desktop sales have been in a free fall, where do you come up with this stuff? Literally no one I know sits at a desktop when they are at home and yet you think this is where the majority of the future's computing will take place.

Everyone I know has their laptops resting on their coffee tables or carries their ipad around from room to room.

"'Scuse me darlin' I'm retiring to my cubicle to pop in these free AOL minutes and surf the intransnets"

Darknight16

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
I understand fully what a NAS is and what benefits and disadvantages it provides. But no one is leaving the house with their iMac or Mac Mini on their back. And with Home Sharing, your desktop functions as a media server. And Snow Leopard allows you to have several accounts logged in at one time. And guess what? Using Home Sharing, the Apple TV2 can pull from all of the logged in accounts from a single computer and across multiple computers as well.

In that situation and with the features Snow Leopard offers in this respect, adding a NAS can be seen as a convoluted extra step.

I think you're stuck in the mindset where a laptop is the only device that can be used as a computer. In this day and age of powerful smartphones and tablets, more and more people are using desktops in combination with tablets or even smartphones for mobile use and skipping on laptop purchases.

Or maybe Windows PCs can't do like I described what Snow Leopard can do. But if you own a desktop Mac as your main computer like me, owning a NAS for media access can certainly be seen as a convoluted device in your setup. Sort of like an unnecessary middleman. That's the point I was getting across.

Regarding your comment on centralized data storage, I don't believe it is going in the direction of a single home server that everyone uses (like a NAS). I think it is going the way of everyone in the home owning their OWN home servers. I think people will be using desktop computers as their own personal home servers. They will perform all of their real work and processor intensive stuff on their desktops and connect all of their mobile devices to them for syncing and access to all of their media and documents. My family is already doing this now and it works very well.

I believe people's view of their files on their computer within a home they share with others in the family is more similar to the idea of several businesses operating out of one building rather than the idea of several employees accessing files within one business.

Sorry but are we going backward in time? Computing habits have shifted for quite some time away from the desktop mentality and have moved towards laptops as a primary computer. The laptop really is today's desktop. There certainly are still uses for a desktop, especially if you're going for super high end power for avarious tasks, which includes modern gaming, but you're getting neither of those from an iMac or especially a MacMini. In fact laptops are more powerful than your MacMini so I'm not sure why you would subject yourself to one other than cost issues over a laptop.

Both the iMac and MacMini have limitations on storage capability because of their limit to internal access not to mention the lack of RAID configurations. Modern NAS often have file redundancy built into them and can pool storage to a single location despite being across multiple drives. As far as I know, both in Windows and in OSX, you would just have multiple drives listed.

With a server, I get pooled storage, redundancy in case of HDD failure without any downtime, centralized storage so not every computer needs to be available at any given time in order to access data, data backup services that backup computers nightly, all on top of a low power consumption device that does so many things that doesn't make sense to spread across numerous computers. Does it really make sense to have every computer on in your house all the time? Do you like paying the extra money for the power bill to do so?

Maybe a server isn't for you, but to imply that it's not an advantage or isn't worth the time really I think is looking at it from an archaic view. I have to think it is sorta archaic if you think desktops are the primary computing device these days over laptops. This is coming from someone who used to build his desktops all the time and I still have one in use in the form of an iMac, but the reality is, laptops are the main computers these days and they go everywhere. A centralized server is especially important for a media networked home these days.

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
1. Download the plugin

2. SSH into your Apple TV - http://www.technama.com/2010/guide-for-ssh-into-apple-tv-2g-windows-and-mac-how-to/

3. Install(drag&drop the zip file) the plugin in the correct directory. In your case it should be Var/Mobile/Media

The last three steps(4-6) are off the top of my head. My gf is using the tv in the bedroom, so I cant double check right now.

4. Launch XBMC on your Apple TV

5. In the xbmc system setting there should be an option to install from zip. Install the files

6. You have to enable each plugin individually.

Ok I just ssh'd into my AVT2.
What is this drag and drop zip file..and how do i install it into my var/mobile/media files?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Wait... you think the future of computing is desktops now?? Desktop sales have been in a free fall, where do you come up with this stuff? Literally no one I know sits at a desktop when they are at home and yet you think this is where the majority of the future's computing will take place.

Everyone I know has their laptops resting on their coffee tables or carries their ipad around from room to room.

"'Scuse me darlin' I'm retiring to my cubicle to pop in these free AOL minutes and surf the intransnets"

I know this might be news to you but times changes. You're talking about the past when I'm referring to the future. People moved to using laptops because it was the only real way to get portable computing. But that switch started happening before the era of dual core smartphones and tablets. With the way the industry is going with tablets (especially at the consumer level) are you seriously not aware that this is going to have an effect on laptop sales? In fact, it already has significantly. And when a person who already owns a tablet is in the market for another full computer, desktops at a lower cost and more powerful per dollar are starting to look a lot more attractive compared to laptops.

Why? Because with a tablet, they don't need anything portable as much as they used to. And the only thing a laptop offers over a desktop is portability. It fails in comparison for everything else.

There are countless threads on these very forums of people forgoing laptops for an ipad while traveling and mobile these days. And many report here that ever since getting the ipad they no longer use their laptops much anymore. So what do you think they'll be purchasing when they need a full computer in the future?

You are looking at the past my friend and assuming that's how it will be in the future. People said the same thing about tablets you're now saying about desktops.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sweet argument guys!

can someone please tell me how to install plugins into my atv2 after I ssh'd

This is the screen I keep looking at and no idea what to do with it..

Google is coming up with ***** and xbmc forums are in another language!

:)

ed

Last edited:

Darknight16

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
I know this might be news to you but times changes. You're talking about the past when I'm referring to the future. People moved to using laptops because it was the only real way to get portable computing. But that switch started happening before the era of dual core smartphones and tablets. With the way the industry is going with tablets (especially at the consumer level) are you seriously not aware that this is going to have an effect on laptop sales? In fact, it already has significantly. And when a person who already owns a tablet is in the market for another full computer, desktops at a lower cost and more powerful per dollar are starting to look a lot more attractive compared to laptops.

Why? Because with a tablet, they don't need anything portable as much as they used to. And the only thing a laptop offers over a desktop is portability. It fails in comparison for everything else. Apple's iMacs are steadily pulling away from Macbook Pros in terms of processing power because of the battery, heat, and weight limitations that laptops have to deal with.

There are countless threads on these very forums of people forgoing laptops for an ipad while traveling and mobile these days. And many report here that ever since getting the ipad they no longer use their laptops much anymore. So what do you think they'll be purchasing when they need a full computer in the future?

You are looking at the past my friend and assuming that's how it will be in the future. People said the same thing about tablets you're now saying about desktops.

Tablets are far from being a viable laptop replacement. Someday maybe, but that's not happening now. Because tablets are still more consumption devices rather than productivity devices, businesses, students, and anyone who still needs plenty of the functionality that can't be replaced by a tablet will still use laptops. It only makes sense that they would have a laptop and tablet in conjunction, not revert back to the desktop model. A desktop is just too restrictive and stationary these days that having the option to take your computer on the go is still going to be where people are spending their money over a desktop.

Desktops replacing laptops is not what will happen. Laptops becoming the new desktop while the tablet becomes the new laptop is what is more likely to happen.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Sweet argument guys!

ed

Ill take a screenshot of the correct path. Hit me up on ichat if you want me to walk you through it. rskbreaker@aol

Screenshot2011-02-16at84743PM.png

Last edited:

Darknight16

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Sweet argument guys!

ed

It doesn't seem like you downloaded the zip. Once you do that, then you just transfer it to your Apple TV. The location doesn't really matter as long as you can navigate to it that location within the Apple TV. Once you do, you just run it and it adds a listing of things to download.

PS, you may not want to show pirated torrents the next time you take a screencap of your desktop.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry but are we going backward in time? Computing habits have shifted for quite some time away from the desktop mentality and have moved towards laptops as a primary computer. The laptop really is today's desktop. There certainly are still uses for a desktop, especially if you're going for super high end power for avarious tasks, which includes modern gaming, but you're getting neither of those from an iMac or especially a MacMini. In fact laptops are more powerful than your MacMini so I'm not sure why you would subject yourself to one other than cost issues over a laptop.

Both the iMac and MacMini have limitations on storage capability because of their limit to internal access not to mention the lack of RAID configurations. Modern NAS often have file redundancy built into them and can pool storage to a single location despite being across multiple drives. As far as I know, both in Windows and in OSX, you would just have multiple drives listed.

With a server, I get pooled storage, redundancy in case of HDD failure without any downtime, centralized storage so not every computer needs to be available at any given time in order to access data, data backup services that backup computers nightly, all on top of a low power consumption device that does so many things that doesn't make sense to spread across numerous computers. Does it really make sense to have every computer on in your house all the time? Do you like paying the extra money for the power bill to do so?

Maybe a server isn't for you, but to imply that it's not an advantage or isn't worth the time really I think is looking at it from an archaic view. I have to think it is sorta archaic if you think desktops are the primary computing device these days over laptops. This is coming from someone who used to build his desktops all the time and I still have one in use in the form of an iMac, but the reality is, laptops are the main computers these days and they go everywhere. A centralized server is especially important for a media networked home these days.

Every benefit you just named you can do with a full desktop computer and better than a NAS because it has more processing power and speed. And where in the world did you get that a laptop is faster than a desktop? A base model Mac Mini has the same processor as the base model Macbook but it costs $300 less. Only 2/3rds the price. The iMac runs rings around the Macbook Pro at the same price point as far as processing ability, hard drive size, and screen size. When you now own a tablet and portability is no longer that much of a factor for your real computer, these things mean a lot again.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Awsome dan-0-m@c! thanks a ton..

now what zip file are you talking about?

is the the pluginn zip file??

is it some zip file stored on the atv after I ssh'd it?

sorry for the dumb questions but I'm knowingly slow.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Awsome dan-0-m@c! thanks a ton..

now what zip file are you talking about?

is the the pluginn zip file??

is it some zip file stored on the atv after I ssh'd it?

sorry for the dumb questions but I'm knowingly slow.

No need to be sorry, we're all here to help each other if we can.

The plugin come in a zip file. Did you download it from xbmc forum?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Tablets are far from being a viable laptop replacement. Someday maybe, but that's not happening now. Because tablets are still more consumption devices rather than productivity devices, businesses, students, and anyone who still needs plenty of the functionality that can't be replaced by a tablet will still use laptops. It only makes sense that they would have a laptop and tablet in conjunction, not revert back to the desktop model. A desktop is just too restrictive and stationary these days that having the option to take your computer on the go is still going to be where people are spending their money over a desktop.

Desktops replacing laptops is not what will happen. Laptops becoming the new desktop while the tablet becomes the new laptop is what is more likely to happen.

Well we'll see but I just don't see people spending hundreds of dollars extra or accepting lower specs on a laptop when they have a tablet already for portability. The portability tax is quite significant. And Apple seems to be doing very well with those quad core iMacs even with consumers. They handle Blu Ray rips quite nicely. ;) I see that trend continuing.

Darknight16

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Every benefit you just named you can do with a full desktop computer and better than a NAS because it has more processing power and speed. And where in the world did you get that a laptop is faster than a desktop? A base model Mac Mini has the same processor as the base model Macbook but it costs $300 less. Only 2/3rds the price. The iMac runs rings around the Macbook Pro at the same price point as far as processing ability, hard drive size, and screen size. When you now own a tablet and portability is no longer that much of a factor for your real computer, these things mean a lot again.

You can do with a full non Mac computer maybe, but you're really limited when it comes to an iMac and a MacMini. Where did I say laptops were more powerful than all desktops? A MacMini is a low end computer and can easily be bested by a laptop. An iMac is a mid range computer which still is comparable but certainly it can beat lower and mid range laptops. However, if you're needing the performance of a desktop for things like gaming, neither an iMac or a MacMini are suitable for things like that. You're better off with a PC for something like gaming or a MacPro. Otherwise, a laptop will do just fine in most cases. Let's not forget what closed shells which limits expandability or upgradability on those types of computers so they aren't ideal candidates for using as network storage not to mention splintering your data and the power consumption you have with leaving all those computers on.

There's no doubt that there is going to be a cost difference for portability but you also gain portability which is huge and still needed. Right now you're way overestimating the value of what a tablet will replace. Someday maybe, but we're not there yet so laptops are very much needed still.

Well we'll see but I just don't see people spending hundreds of dollars extra or accepting lower specs on a laptop when they have a tablet already for portability. The portability tax is quite significant. And Apple seems to be doing very well with those quad core iMacs even with consumers. They handle Blu Ray rips quite nicely. ;) I see that trend continuing.

Why not? If we're talking bang for the buck for power, Macs don't offer that yet you see people do that all the time. They spend more for less in performance for the sake of usability. A Windows 7 PC will give you much better bang for your buck if you're worried about performance. Let's remember that Apple's world is a very small slice of the pie when it comes to computers but even then people pay the Apple tax and Apple does well business wise despite the tax.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hey thanks again Dan!

Pirated torrents?

no way.. I have xbmc.....

Restinbeast

macrumors member
May 27, 2010

Why? Because with a tablet, they don't need anything portable as much as they used to. And the only thing a laptop offers over a desktop is portability. It fails in comparison for everything else.

Even if this assertion is true (which I still don't agree with) you still did nothing to disprove 99% of my post of which laptops vs desktops was a very minute detail. You are wrong regarding everything you have said vis a vis networking.

Is this guy for real? Seriously please someone rational out there chime in.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Every benefit you just named you can do with a full desktop computer and better than a NAS because it has more processing power and speed.

Im sorry just how much power does one need to stream media and share files? With a NAS consuming as little as 10 to 15Watts I can have a dlna server, logitech squeezebox server, afp file sharing, timemachine backups, a torrent client etc complete with redundancy in the form or raid.

Not only does this serve multiple computers, it also streams content to multiple tv's, playstations, and a stereo system.

Ive never seen iostat, top, or anything under /proc show that the NAS is close to being fully taxed.

So tell me, how much computing power does a NAS need? How would iTunes on a desktop be beneficial in a situation like this? It might work for many people out there, but not everyone has the same needs or setup.

Honestly I think most of your arguments are non sensical. You keep harping on about under powered NAS. You do realise a NAS isn't supposed to be a desktop replacement?

On a side note the *primary* reason I would buy an ATV2 is for xbmc. Buying stuff via apples eco system would be a very distant second ("for me"). I'm just waiting for the next generation ATV to come out with the A5 processor and proper 1080 capabilities. If it can be jailbroken I'll purchase, otherwise I wont. Doesnt really bother me either way.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
My point is that everything you can do on a separate NAS computer you can do on your regular computer. A NAS is nothing more than an underpowered computer. The original person I replied to was claiming that Apple's solution was "convoluted" when Apple's solution only requires the computer you already own. His solution requires you to own a computer as well as own another computer in the form of NAS.

In either situation, you must have a device on to serve up the content. So how the heck can a NAS solution be considered less convoluted than a desktop? Can you turn off the NAS computer and still serve up the content? Definitely not.

My reply was in reference to his statement that Apple's solution was "retarded and convoluted". If you wish to comment about it, you need to look at it under that context.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I have never understood the reasoning behind purchasing a NAS for working with the Apple TV and other media solutions. Because of piracy, legitimate media solutions are always going to require some form of authentication or DRM which means they are going to require a real operating system to handle it. You can buy an old cheap computer with a real OS (Mac or Windows) for next to nothing and many people have an old unused one just laying around anyway. For the Apple TV, all it has to do is be able to run iTunes. None of the NAS solutions are able to run a real version of iTunes because iTunes requires either OS X or Windows operating system.

What would be convoluted on Apple's part is requiring people to go out and purchase a separate NAS computer when they already own a computer to serve up their content and the server software to handle it in the form of Windows or Snow Leopard/iTunes/Home Sharing.

ghoti

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008
I'm looking forward to a JB on my ATV2 this weekend. Hoping I can remove the need for my MB to be on the network. I'd like the GF to be able to watch stuff while I'm out with my Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.