Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have never understood the reasoning behind purchasing a NAS for working with the Apple TV and other media solutions.

There is one major advantage to a NAS over a MINI (or in my case, I'm using an old Windows laptop) and that is the NAS systems often have things like ZFS which allows you to keep adding drives to make the NAS larger; and it also has built in redundancy so that if one of the drives fails, you just plug in another drive and it rebuilds the array without losing any data. Finally, NAS devices typically pull data from multiple drives at one time, in that way, it can actually have better throughput meaning more people can be streaming at the same time.

Using the MINI you can play DRM encoded files (of which I have several), that's a big advantage for some people.

For a few minutes I thought of having the MINI stream from the NAS, but that would generate double the network traffic. From NAS to MINI then MINI to ATV. But if I could make my ATV stream right from the NAS, it's network foot print becomes smaller -- but I lose my DRM content.

For me, I'll probably stick with the "MINI" solution I have for now. But I want to buy 2 more ATV's, most likely I'll just Jailbreak one to play with it and go from there. My DRM content is only about 4 or 5 movies that I got when I purchased the DVDs; so I could just rip the DVD's and not have the DRM.

We'll see, I haven't decided. But having everything on the NAS and not having to have the "mini" on all the time would be nicer.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
There is one major advantage to a NAS over a MINI (or in my case, I'm using an old Windows laptop) and that is the NAS systems often have things like ZFS which allows you to keep adding drives to make the NAS larger; and it also has built in redundancy so that if one of the drives fails, you just plug in another drive and it rebuilds the array without losing any data. Finally, NAS devices typically pull data from multiple drives at one time, in that way, it can actually have better throughput meaning more people can be streaming at the same time.

Sorry to be finicky, but I can't think of any pre-made NAS devices that use ZFS. Also, ZFS currently doesn't support raid expansion (not in the 'normal' sense anyway). And....irrelevant of the theory - it can be quite tricky to get any raid system to match the the throughput of a single transfer to/from a single disk :)

To be on topic, I wouldn't even consider buying an ATV2 unless it was jailbroken - I'm not a fan of the itunes media ecosystem.
I still think a cheap ION based nettop is a better purchase if you're after a media center/player - let alone the other benefits that having a 'standard' x86 machine brings (full OS/can also be your NAS/etcetc).

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Well, I finally did the jailbreak, got it to work, installed XBMC, installed bluecop, installed Hulu, tried to watch a show, and got a SMIL error (I think that's what it was). ?? Anyone know how to deal with that?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Thanks for the plugin info. My daughter is watching Nick Jr. on my Apple TV thanks to you.

How did you get Nick Jr.? I don't see in listed in bluecop.

Well, I finally did the jailbreak, got it to work, installed XBMC, installed bluecop, installed Hulu, tried to watch a show, and got a SMIL error (I think that's what it was). ?? Anyone know how to deal with that?

Never mind. Uninstalled/reinstalled. Seems to work fine.

But does anyone know a way to get the queue in there? I entered my username/password in the config section, but nothing. Is it only for Hulu+ subscribers? Or can regular users have access to their queue as well?

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho

You need to go into the setting and "uncheck" the Hulu Plus radio button, they were showing you shows that you could only see with Hulu +.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Since the Apple tv software is extremely limited jailbreak and xbmc are a god send. Every freaking video you download must be converted for the Apple TV xbmc just press play.

JT3Jon

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
Since the Apple tv software is extremely limited jailbreak and xbmc are a god send. Every freaking video you download must be converted for the Apple TV xbmc just press play.

unless you're trying to play .iso or video_ts files (of which 99% of my media files are in this format!) Every time I try to play them XBMC crashes. :(

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
I successfully jb my atv2, also successfully downloaded xbmc...

I have no idea how to get hulu. I have done a lot of research, and am coming up with a complete loss at what to do.

I am pretty new to this, but I cant seem to find instructions (like GP for JBing the atv2) in "stupid" terms for people like me...

Any help would be appreciated.

I know I need to download a zip file and somehow SSH (?) and add a file to var (?)

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
did you try to read this

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

check the section about plugins..

you need to be able to put files on your ATV..

so you have to be able to control those files with a process called open ssh..
youtube it..they have videos on it...

so what you do is get a zip file some are accepted here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_Add-on_Repositories

you have to place certian zip files as a whole into the ATV2....then open xbmc and unzip those files....once you get those files you can get acess to repos....

keep with it...people here are very helpful..I'm still learning myself

hope i could help.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I successfully jb my atv2, also successfully downloaded xbmc...

I have no idea how to get hulu. I have done a lot of research, and am coming up with a complete loss at what to do.

I am pretty new to this, but I cant seem to find instructions (like GP for JBing the atv2) in "stupid" terms for people like me...

Any help would be appreciated.

I know I need to download a zip file and somehow SSH (?) and add a file to var (?)

I feel your pain. Hopefully this helps:

Since you already have XBMC installed, you just need to install the addon.

- Go here to get the bluecop rep (which has hulu). Click the zip link, then on the next page, right-click and select Download Linked File As. This will preserve the zip file (otherwise your browser will unzip it).

- Now you need to SSH into your Apple TV. All this basically is is a secure FTP connection. Go to your AppleTV, then Settings, then Network and find your IP address (if you have a wireless network it will be something like 10.0.1.5 or 192.168.0.3). Now launch an FTP program that supports SFTP. I use Transmit (the trial version will work). Open a new connection, but for the protocol, select SFTP instead of FTP. The server is the IP address of your Apple TV, the username is 'root' (without the apostrophes) and the password is 'alpine'.

- Once there navigate back, then forward again, to the /private/var/mobile/Media directory and copy the zip file over.

- Now go to AppleTV > XBMC > Settings > Addons Manager and select Install from zip file. Navigate to the Media directory and find the zip file and select it.

- From there, you have to actually activate the various hacks, such as Hulu. I don't have the exact place, but I believe you also do that from the Addons Manager. Just navigate around and you'll see the list. It's lengthy. You can add Hulu, TBS, TNT, CBS, and many others.

Hope that helps.

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Anticipation Building!!!

Long time reader first time poster...

Have been having a good read through this thread, psyching myself up to JB my ATV 2. I am abit out of practice in the whole JB thing.
I JB'd my old iPhone 3G and loved it (except for getting rickrolled), but haven't been game to do it to my iPhone 4 yet.

My ATV 2 is in dire need of a JB as I look forward to the functionality that you are all posting.

Bring it on.

Last edited:

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
In response to the title of this thread:

So far after JB I have gained access to:
-GrooveShark - Every song in the world available for instant stream.
-XBMC - Ability to play un-converted movie files and the slickest interface Ive seen.
- HULU through XBMC - Access to Hulu.com's insanely big library of constantly updated movies/shows.
-South Park Studios through XBMC - Every episode from every season in glorious high resolution, and still updating!
Also:
-Adult Swim
-Cartoon Network
-TBS
-MTV Networks
-TNT
-CBS
-Vimeo
-Vevo
-Funny or Die
And a lot more. Those are just the ones I find myself using frequently. All I am waiting for is an ESPN3.com plugin so I can cut the cable bill in half by only paying for internet access.

The fact that XBMC lets you stream most movie files without having to change formats makes the whole painstaking JB process (took me a week to figure out everything I wanted) 100% worth it.

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada

-XBMC - Ability to play un-converted movie files and the slickest interface Ive seen.
- HULU through XBMC - Access to Hulu.com's insanely big library of constantly updated movies/shows.
-South Park Studios through XBMC - Every episode from every season in glorious high resolution, and still updating!
Also:
-Adult Swim
-Cartoon Network
-TBS
-MTV Networks
-TNT
-CBS
-Vimeo
-Vevo
-Funny or Die
And a lot more. Those are just the ones I find myself using frequently. All I am waiting for is an ESPN3.com plugin so I can cut the cable bill in half by only paying for internet access.

The fact that XBMC lets you stream most movie files without having to change formats makes the whole painstaking JB process (took me a week to figure out everything I wanted) 100% worth it.

+1

Once I figure out how to get my iTunes and picture libraries to play through XBMC/ATV2 from my NAS.....the Evil Plan will be complete.

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Tonights the night

Put my daughter to bed soon, crack open a beer, then get started.

I'm planning on using Greenpois0n to JB.

Then use the AwkwardTV http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_3 page to install NitoTV.

Then go from there.

Any final pointers??? Apart from changing the password ASAP. I don't want my ATV2 getting rickrolled like my old 3G. (is that even possible?)

Cheers

Greydog

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2004
Yes worth it

Did my JB Sunday night - took a few tries but not too hard using Greenpois0n. There are some good youtube videos on it.

Then fired up XBMC and linked to my airdisk, happy times...can't wait to load some more apps:)

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Damn damn damn micro USB

Man I feel like a bumb s***. I didn't think to check if I had a micro USB cable. I have so many bloody cables floating around thus house but no micro USB. Now I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to buy a freakin cable.

S***

wrz0170

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Man I feel like a bumb s***. I didn't think to check if I had a micro USB cable. I have so many bloody cables floating around thus house but no micro USB. Now I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to buy a freakin cable.

S***

If you know anyone who has a Kindle, it has a micro cable.

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
If you know anyone who has a Kindle, it has a micro cable.

Cheers mate but I just popped into Jaycar and picked one up for 10 bucks.

Just tried to use tinyumbrella (win) and opened the app plugged in the ATV but nothing came up. I pressed every button in tiny umbrella but nothing. I've been looking at everyones vids on how to use it but all I see is it working as soon as people open the app. WTF

Will try it on my other computer later. Maybe it was my crap computer...

Tiny umbrella sorted, never mind, time to begin the fun...

Last edited:

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006

Also:
-Adult Swim
-Cartoon Network
-TBS
-MTV Networks
-TNT
-CBS
-Vimeo
-Vevo
-Funny or Die

I was just wondering if you could help me with the grooveshark ad on..

I was wondering did you have any problems with streaming any movies from the xbmc?
I got freepasstv and xbmc keeps buffering..

would really like to figure this out!

thanks!

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011

Also:
-Adult Swim
-Cartoon Network
-TBS
-MTV Networks
-TNT
-CBS
-Vimeo
-Vevo
-Funny or Die

Alright everything has gone well.

I JB'd with Greenpois0n (thanks heaps chronic dev team & thread posters).

I installed nitoTV then XMBC.

Then got the bluecop repo for the above listed streams but am having problems.

Am I going to be extremely disappointed because I'm in AUSTRALIA and these streams are only for the US?

Is there any easy way around this???

k12g3

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Alright everything has gone well.

I JB'd with Greenpois0n (thanks heaps chronic dev team & thread posters).

I installed nitoTV then XMBC.

Then got the bluecop repo for the above listed streams but am having problems.

Am I going to be extremely disappointed because I'm in AUSTRALIA and these streams are only for the US?

Is there any easy way around this???

I don't think so. Since all the "plugins" are is a link to the websites content, most of it is US only. There's probably a way to link in a US proxy and get it to work, but I would not know where to start in that subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.