Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
y'all finding that some content on Hulu works while other does not? For example I can play clips from NBC The Office, but I cant load a Full Episode? But I can watch full episodes of the Simpsons?

Thanks

ISO:HELP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
y'all finding that some content on Hulu works while other does not? For example I can play clips from NBC The Office, but I cant load a Full Episode? But I can watch full episodes of the Simpsons?

Thanks

Hey Jimmy-

you ever do bit torrent?

Also Ice films has a sick collection of movies/tv shows...some work some don't but its free...

you have ssh'd into your device and added zip files correct?

jimmy1984

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
I found part of my problem was in settings, it enabled Hulu+ content to be displayed and that content wasnt playing.

The only HD episodes are from Hulu+, so if you're not a subscriber, you wont be able to access that content.

Xezebien

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
You need icefilms.

In response to the title of this thread:

So far after JB I have gained access to:
-GrooveShark - Every song in the world available for instant stream.
-XBMC - Ability to play un-converted movie files and the slickest interface Ive seen.
- HULU through XBMC - Access to Hulu.com's insanely big library of constantly updated movies/shows.
-South Park Studios through XBMC - Every episode from every season in glorious high resolution, and still updating!
Also:
-Adult Swim
-Cartoon Network
-TBS
-MTV Networks
-TNT
-CBS
-Vimeo
-Vevo
-Funny or Die
And a lot more. Those are just the ones I find myself using frequently. All I am waiting for is an ESPN3.com plugin so I can cut the cable bill in half by only paying for internet access.

The fact that XBMC lets you stream most movie files without having to change formats makes the whole painstaking JB process (took me a week to figure out everything I wanted) 100% worth it.

You should also go for the Icefilms addon, streams everything from icefilms.info

Icefilms has almost everything when it comes to shows and movies.

addon: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=87703

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Maybe I missed reading this somewhere in the thread but I have a quick question about the Apple TV 2.

Like a lot of people in here, 95% of my video library is in .avi format so jail breaking the Apple TV would probably suit me best. Now here are my simple questions..

If it's jail broken, am I still able to access the OEM Apple TV user interface? I'm asking this because I am going to be using Netflix quite frequently and streaming music via iTunes from my MacBook and do like the OEM interface.

The main reasons I want to jail break is for XBMC to play my .avi's and to access Hulu and such.. but still keep the OEM interface for when I just want Netflix & music.

Thanks! :)

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
If it's jail broken, am I still able to access the OEM Apple TV user interface?

Yes. That's something a lot of people don't realize. The interface to Apple TV doesn't change at all when it's jailbroken, except that there is now a new menu item to select, like XBMC or whatever gets put on it. Everything pre-existing on the ATV2 is still there and working, including Netflix.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Yes. That's something a lot of people don't realize. The interface to Apple TV doesn't change at all when it's jailbroken, except that there is now a new menu item to select, like XBMC or whatever gets put on it. Everything pre-existing on the ATV2 is still there and working, including Netflix.

Thank you for the quick reply! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.. just purchased 2 of them! Now I'll get to experiment with this little toy!

Dan--

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
After JB'ing, do any of the add-ons allow for use of a local disk drive attached through the micro usb port?

Do they support drives attached to an Airport Extreme for direct streaming, i.e. without active computer involvement?

Thanks,

Dan

flounder21

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2008
The South
Dan to answer your question yes. I have all of my media on a external hard drive plugged into my netgear router. No other pc's powered unless I want something off of one of them.

jayboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Awesome for Australia

You should also go for the Icefilms addon, streams everything from icefilms.info

Icefilms has almost everything when it comes to shows and movies.

addon: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=87703

This is the ****. I was annoyed when I jailbroke my ATV2 and couldn't get any decent steaming through HULU and the like. BUT NOW we have an awesome solution for all those in AUSTRALIA with an Apple TV 2. Not to mention all the other people outside the American IP adress.

ICEFILMS IS THE BOMB

Cheers

J

myke2

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
so here's my question. i'm very familiar with jailbreaking my iphone. i just set up my apple tv today and it's reading software v 4.2. Can I just go ahead and proceed with greenp0ison or do i need to restore the apple tv with ipsw 4.2.1 that i've downloaded? or are these one in the same?

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
So is jbing the apple tv 2 just like when u jb an iPhone? Do I just need to use greenpoision and follow the steps? After that is there like a place to put in the repos, etc?

Thanks!

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
so greenpision is the best or just the newest tool to JB the device?

Xbmc comes in play after I JB the ATV2 im guessing.

greenpois0n is only a method o JB the device. I personally did it through Pwnage Tool, since greenp0ison kept crashing on me.

Once Jailbroken, you can access the files inside your ATV.
You can also install new things in it.
For example, when using Pwnage Tool, it automatically adds a NitoTV tab in your ATV.
NitoTV is like the Cydia of Apple TVs.
From there you can install XBMC.
I personally prefer using Plex, however. It is much easier to setup. Mind you, I'm very tech savvy.

As of now, there aren't many things you can install on it.
You still can't install Hulu, but it's coming soon.
If you have a collection of movies on an external drive, I think it's worth jailbreaking it. It's the only reason why i bought the ATV, actually.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
so here's my question. i'm very familiar with jailbreaking my iphone. i just set up my apple tv today and it's reading software v 4.2. Can I just go ahead and proceed with greenp0ison or do i need to restore the apple tv with ipsw 4.2.1 that i've downloaded? or are these one in the same?

I think that in Apple TV terms, 4.2 is actually the iphone equivalent of 4.3
My AppleTV has firmware 4.1.1.
If you have 4.2, then that means you ran the update, which means you now can't jailbreak it.
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I think that in Apple TV terms, 4.2 is actually the iphone equivalent of 4.3
My AppleTV has firmware 4.1.1.
If you have 4.2, then that means you ran the update, which means you now can't jailbreak it.
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

With the latest update, the ATV software version is 4.2 but the OS build is iOS 4.3 and you can verify the 4.3 by going to the About screen. The default view shows the software build. But if you click on the select button, it will switch to show you the OS is 4.3.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Not on its own, but you can install Hulu inside XBMC. Of course it's broken right now, and everyone is waiting for an update.

The developer has stated that he has no interest in fixing the Hulu add-on.
I think that the only way this might work is when Plex comes out of Beta.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
The developer has stated that he has no interest in fixing the Hulu add-on.
I think that the only way this might work is when Plex comes out of Beta.

So if plex can pull this off will they pull ahead of xbmc?

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
idk. but when Hulu Becomes available for Plex, it will definitely be my player of choice. The interface just works better, and the support forums are great.
There's still Boxee (which I've only heard about). That might do the trick as well.

Now, as an edit to my original post, NitoTV isn't the only Cydia-like alternative for the ATV2. XBMC seems to have plenty of add-ons as well. But again, most of them haven't been updated to work on ATV2.

Either way, you can have Plex and XBMC installed at the same time and experiment with what you like best.
They both have their Pros and Cons.
Your method of Jailbreaking - whether through greenpois0n, Pwnage Tool or others - doesn't define what you can do with your ATV2. They're all the same, and opens up the same functionalities.

Last edited:

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
idk. i'm no expert. There's still Boxee (which I've only heard about). That might do the trick as well.
But when Hulu Becomes available for Plex, it will definitely be my player of choice. The interface just works better, and the support forums are great.

Thanks for the heads up...

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
forgive my ignorance

but i have a laptop with an external drive full of movies

i dont wanna leave the laptop on all day

how does this NAS thing work what do i need to access the external drive from apple tv when the laptop is off all via Wifi

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.