Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had a perception of automation in the home that you’d need either an Alexa or something running Siri (HomeKit) with electronic switches like wall switches to control lights with your voice, set up so they auto come on when you walk into a room, or remotely control, them.

We are visiting our son, who has an Alexa unit and smart light bulbs. he talks to Alexa, so a wifi switch does not have to be installed. So I’m asking Apple or Alexa?

This stands out:
While Apple's HomeKit grapples with compatibility with a few hundred brands, the Alexa ecosystem is compatible with as many as 100,000 smart home devices according to data from Statista.

I have both a Roku and Apple TV so I don’t consider myself an Apple prisoner, and although I prefer IPhone and iOS to Android, I am willing to go with what is the better, and more economical setup, although since I am particularly vested in iOS if all other things like compatibility were equal, I would choose Apple. But as it is, Alexa seems like a better choice. Opinions?

Alexa compatible lights:

Siri compatible lights:

I’m very interested to see how long it takes AI to make it into these devices.I don’t know if this is still current but if it is, it sounds dismal. Of all companies I thought Apple would be on this like a duck on a June bug. :oops:

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We had a security contract with Brinks for five years (I finally managed to get out earlier this year) that included automation. But there was never any Alexa or Apple.

It's entirely possible to do with an app. I could control the front door lock with an app and the thermostat with an app. Had I added smart switches I could have controlled lights and appliances as well. I know they also make smart garage door openers now too. Those can connect to your app. And of course there's the Ring app for cameras

I don't know specifically why, but I don't like talking to devices. I'd rather use an app. And my wife would have a serious problem with me bringing Alexa or Apple devices that are voice controlled into the house. She values her privacy and there's been too many reported incidents of these devices recording people. How many incidents did not get reported?

We have both Android and iPhone in our house (primarily iPhone), but SIRI is off on my device and my wife's device and whatever voice assistant Android 10 and 12 uses that's off too. We don't push our choices on our kids, but it would seem as well that they have decided voice assistants are not for them. They do not use SIRI either.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I use a Hubitat device for all my home automation needs. It integrates with Alexa, so any devices on the Hubitat can be controlled by voice with Alexa. The Hubitat has very a robust "Rule Machine" capability that can be used to trigger devices using about any combination of events you can imagine.

Using your lighting example, you could tell the Hubitat to turn on X lights when motion is detected in a room and only between the hours of A - B (or just after sundown). I have a rule that turns on my front yard lights and the kitchen lights if I come home and open the garage door when it is dark outside.

I have a rule setup to ping me on my iPhone if one of my Hubitat leak detectors is activated.

I have some devices that have native Homekit support and Siri works well to control those, but those devices (like my thermostat that came with a new A/C) just happened to come with Homekit support and I did not buy them for that reason.

All that said, I think you will find far more devices work with Alexa than Homekit (like your article mentioned).

Here is a list of Hubitat compatible devices.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I use a Hubitat device for all my home automation needs. It integrates with Alexa, so any devices on the Hubitat can be controlled by voice with Alexa. The Hubitat has very a robust "Rule Machine" capability that can be used to trigger devices using about any combination of events you can imagine.

Using your lighting example, you could tell the Hubitat to turn on X lights when motion is detected in a room and only between the hours of A - B (or just after sundown). I have a rule that turns on my front yard lights and the kitchen lights if I come home and open the garage door when it is dark outside.

I have a rule setup to ping me on my iPhone if one of my Hubitat leak detectors is activated.

I have some devices that have native Homekit support and Siri works well to control those, but those devices (like my thermostat that came with a new A/C) just happened to come with Homekit support and I did not buy them for that reason.

All that said, I think you will find far more devices work with Alexa than Homekit (like your article mentioned).

Here is a list of Hubitat compatible devices.
The devices I‘m thinking of are Ring devices with their own app, a 4 year old Video smart TV, controlling lighting, and maybe interaction with iOS devides, like control via iOS when away from home.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We had a security contract with Brinks for five years (I finally managed to get out earlier this year) that included automation. But there was never any Alexa or Apple.

It's entirely possible to do with an app. I could control the front door lock with an app and the thermostat with an app. Had I added smart switches I could have controlled lights and appliances as well. I know they also make smart garage door openers now too. Those can connect to your app. And of course there's the Ring app for cameras

I don't know specifically why, but I don't like talking to devices. I'd rather use an app. And my wife would have a serious problem with me bringing Alexa or Apple devices that are voice controlled into the house. She values her privacy and there's been too many reported incidents of these devices recording people. How many incidents did not get reported?

We have both Android and iPhone in our house (primarily iPhone), but SIRI is off on my device and my wife's device and whatever voice assistant Android 10 and 12 uses that's off too. We don't push our choices on our kids, but it would seem as well that they have decided voice assistants are not for them. They do not use SIRI either.
Turning on a light by voice, I’ve been doing this visiting my son, and it’s more convenient than picking up a remote. “Alexa, turn off the office light.” “Ok”- she’s not much of a talker, but wait until the AI shows up. ;)

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Turning on a light by voice, I’ve been doing this visiting my son, and it’s more convenient than picking up a remote. “Alexa, turn off the office light.” “Ok”- she’s not much of a talker, but wait until the AI shows up. ;)
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I prefer analog switches.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Turning on a light by voice,
Heck, if that is the sole criteria, who needs AI. Just get a clapper.

IMG_6341.jpeg

Reactions: eyoungren

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I prefer analog switches.
I admit this is circumstantial. At home we have lights by our beds, and I don’t mind reaching to turn off a light. In other rooms it could save you a trip. As I think about my house, there are cases where I could save a trip to the kitchen to turn the light off. However I’m not sold on it yet as a necessity. It is the smart light bulbs that surprised me. :)
Heck, if that is the sole criteria, who needs AI. Just get a clapper.

View attachment 2265210
I included AI not because it’s needed for current functionality, but because it will find it’s way into these systems as I imagine Tony Stark talking to Jarvis, or even K talking to Joi (Bladerunner 2049 ref).

C12D4DA6-2AE1-43DF-9D9B-5BEE26C7594A.jpeg
Joi- an AI projection and companion. She can turn the lights out for you…​

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I admit this is circumstantial. At home we have lights by our beds, and I don’t mind reaching to turn off a light. In other rooms it could save you a trip. As I think about my house, there are cases where I could save a trip to the kitchen to turn the light off. However I’m not sold on it yet as a necessity. It is the smart light bulbs that surprised me. :)
I should say that I am not adverse to using voice to control a device. It just feels weird to me - as if someone is going to say "Who are to TALKING to?!"

And I can't answer that question right now, because of the privacy issues currently (real or imagined). If someone could legit say I wasn't talking to anyone and prove it to me, things might be a little different. But until that is the case, this stuff doesn't come into the house or it's deactivated.

I make a point in mentioning in various discussions here on MacRumors that anything that is sensitive or personal in nature is never discussed via iMessage or rarely over the phone. It's always in person. My wife and I talk a lot, we always have - I don't want transcripts and recordings somewhere else other than in our own heads.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I should say that I am not adverse to using voice to control a device. It just feels weird to me - as if someone is going to say "Who are to TALKING to?!"

And I can't answer that question right now, because of the privacy issues currently (real or imagined). If someone could legit say I wasn't talking to anyone and prove it to me, things might be a little different. But until that is the case, this stuff doesn't come into the house or it's deactivated.

I make a point in mentioning in various discussions here on MacRumors that anything that is sensitive or personal in nature is never discussed via iMessage or rarely over the phone. It's always in person. My wife and I talk a lot, we always have - I don't want transcripts and recordings somewhere else other than in our own heads.
Some might question the security of having a device in your house constantly listening… 🤔

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The ability to talk to my media devices my TV or Roku or Apple TV would be appreciated. ”Roku give me Netflix, Stranger Things.“ :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The ability to talk to my media devices my TV or Roku or Apple TV would be appreciated. ”Roku give me Netflix, Stranger Things.“ :)
My ISP, Cox Communications had that in their Contour 2 remotes. I don't get TV through them now, but when we did that was turned off.

In February we bought Amazon Firesticks. Alexa has been turned off since we go those - but the ability to talk to the remote and have the Firestick control our non-smart TVs is there.

Reactions: Huntn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But this is 2023, not 1984
That's very true. But things happen.

I once kept receiving group emails from some people who somehow had my email address. This would have been less than ten years ago. I kept telling them I was not who they thought I was. None of them listened and kept emailing me.

Eventually they all settled on a group trip to Las Vegas and the leader of the group cheerfully announced to everyone what the door code for the rental house was. In all caps, I responded that I was not part of their group (again) and that they had just given a complete stranger who lived less than five hours from Vegas the address to their rental and the door code to get in.

Mysteriously ALL the emails suddenly stopped.

Things can still happen.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How much connectivity or should I say interoperability do you get using Homebridge to interact with Ring, vs opening the Ring App?

My first goal is to see if I can gain control of my 4 year old Visio TV or Roku box or Apple TV box with such a device and since I already have iOS devices, I would seriously consider Homebridge, however that article I posted regarding Siri in the initial post made me hesitant.

As I think about it, I just turn the TV on which happens automatically when I energize my Roku or my Apple TV boxes via a universal controller. They are the hardware calling the shots so I should be looking at Alexa or Homebridge control of these devices which would include, a channel and a search for a new or a currently being watched show. Example: “Alexa” or “Siri” (Homebridge), “Roku, Netflicks, Bosch, next show”.., yes?🤔

Apparently, no… the goal here is no remote…

Now Roku is addressing that with a new Alexa skill. After installing the skill, you'll be able to control any Roku device or TV running Roku OS 8.2 or higher. You can launch movies, apps, and if your TV has Roku, you can even control functions like Volume or switch inputs.

Similar to Google Assistant, voice commands need to use Roku for the name, i.e. tell Roku to open Hulu or open Hulu on Roku. And unfortunately, you can't control Netflix with voice commands.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I had a perception of automation in the home that you’d need either an Alexa or something running Siri (HomeKit) with electronic switches like wall switches to control lights with your voice, set up so they auto come on when you walk into a room, or remotely control, them.

We are visiting our son, who has an Alexa unit and smart light bulbs. he talks to Alexa, so a wifi switch does not have to be installed. So I’m asking Apple or Alexa?

This stands out:
While Apple's HomeKit grapples with compatibility with a few hundred brands, the Alexa ecosystem is compatible with as many as 100,000 smart home devices according to data from Statista.

I have both a Roku and Apple TV so I don’t consider myself an Apple prisoner, and although I prefer IPhone and iOS to Android, I am willing to go with what is the better, and more economical setup, although since I am particularly vested in iOS if all other things like compatibility were equal, I would choose Apple. But as it is, Alexa seems like a better choice. Opinions?

Alexa compatible lights:

Siri compatible lights:

I’m very interested to see how long it takes AI to make it into these devices.I don’t know if this is still current but if it is, it sounds dismal. Of all companies I thought Apple would be on this like a duck on a June bug. :oops:

I have an Apple Watch. It tells me to stand up once an hour. My desk job largely encourages me to do the opposite.
So why would I want to invest in a product that’s going to increase my sitting time? I just have manual light switches and curtains etc. it’s really not that time out of my day to get up and deal with them. Chances are I’m on my way to the kettle or bathroom anyway.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The most desirable AI technology "thing" at home- if I were young and single-would be a human-like gorgeous female android to perform the following duties:

a. Driver (she can drive while I rest or asleep under the influence, or just tired). Mechanic
b. Security (she can be my bodyguard when in public, and guard my homeland property at night)
c. Monitoring my health, nursing, etc.
d. House duties (cooking, laundry, cleaning, shopping, etc.)
e. Handywoman (all trades), IT person, answer my phone calls, secretary, CPA
f. Pleasure

But now that I am old and married to a lovely woman for nearly 40 years, "f" above is out the window, so I can settle on "a" through "e" 😆

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The most desirable AI technology "thing" at home- if I were young and single-would be a human-like gorgeous female android to perform the following duties:

a. Driver (she can drive while I rest or asleep under the influence, or just tired). Mechanic
b. Security (she can be my bodyguard when in public, and guard my homeland property at night)
f. Pleasure

But now that I am old and married to a lovely woman for nearly 40 years, "f" above is out the window, so I can settle on "a" through "e" 😆
If they ever developed an AppleCar Siri sounds like your perfect woman! 😀

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
If they ever developed an AppleCar Siri sounds like your perfect woman! 😀
At my age I better have an android with nursing capabilities who can keep track of my cardiovascular health, and also in case that she needs to replace my diaper when I get much older 🤣

But I may have to change my username to something else. Trying to change a diaper on an Alaska Moose could be quite problematic. Now, in reality I don't care much for Siri, Alexa, and the Apple and other watches. I do imagine that in the far future the type of android I have referred to is a possibility for the super rich to enjoy. Just imagine the things I mentioned (from "a" through "f").

Last edited:

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

f. Pleasure

Are you a gamer? Detroit: Become Human will let you live the dream...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Are you a gamer? Detroit: Become Human will let you live the dream...

Thanks! That would be a very nice android to have around :)

No, I am not a gamer, but enjoy watching shows that are AI related. It seems that Koreans make futuristic shows with androids and so on that aren't as depressing as most US-made shows. The extremely abusive and fouled-mouth father in the show above is difficult to watch, but the sense of Kara becoming human and loving the child is quite sweet.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nov 2023- Alexa or Siri?
I’ve been visting my son who has Alexa, and uses it for setting timers, turning on lights, and playing Amazon music. I’ve become enamored with this device, but I got a lot of iOS stuff back home. Which is superior?

One thing, I’d like some personality. Alexa is all busines. I asked her if she enjoys teaching, and I got “not in catalog”. Come on, you can do better than that… The other thing noticible, as a basic Alexa unit, the sound is crappy. 😐

How long before something ChatGPT appears on this scene?

From 2020: https://www.lifewire.com/siri-vs-alexa-4800418

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nov 2023- Alexa or Siri?
I’ve been visting my son who has Alexa, and uses it for setting timers, turning on lights, and playing Amazon music. I’ve become enamored with this device, but I got a lot of iOS stuff back home. Which is superior?

One thing, I’d like some personality. Alexa is all busines. I asked her if she enjoys teaching, and I got “not in catalog”. Come on, you can do better than that… The other thing noticible, as a basic Alexa unit, the sound is crappy. 😐

How long before something ChatGPT appears on this scene?

From 2020: https://www.lifewire.com/siri-vs-alexa-4800418
Alexa. Always listening. No thanks. Talking to your partner about holidays in Florida. Next thing every advert you see is for that exact thing. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.