Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Quite candidly, (which, given how white, and how affluent, and how utterly male, much of the techbro world is, may be harder to accomplish than one might imagine even though we no longer dwell in the mental world of the 1950s) I would imagine that if women were (even fleetingly) consulted when designing such devices - or, actually, actively participated in, the design of such devices - that rendering them "fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form" would not be - or, would not rank - terribly high on their agenda.
Agree with all your points, I mean look at the - to put it politely - the "fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form" you mention or virtual girlfriend AI I see a lot of in the media (recall the virtual assistant in Blade Runner 2 - and that was a good film). Maybe some women would like AI boyfriends but it's not on the agenda.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree with all your points, I mean look at the - to put it politely - the "fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form" you mention or virtual girlfriend AI I see a lot of in the media (recall the virtual assistant in Blade Runner 2 - and that was a good film). Maybe some women would like AI boyfriends but it's not on the agenda.
Agreed.

Actually, before designing anything, especially anything of the sort in AI (and unleashing such designs on the world while attempting to claim that this describes the human experience, and meets human needs - no, it describes a white, affluent, male experience, and those are the specific needs it has been designed to meet, but, please, let us not conflate or confuse this with the human experience, still less the human female experience, or attempt to argue that such designs are the default human setting - spoiler alert: They are not) - I would make a close study of Caroline Criado Perez's outstanding book "Invisible Women", and make it compulsory reading.

And yes, AI boyfriends are not on the agenda of many women.

Now, notwithstanding the above, I suspect that women may see some potential in AI, principally of the labour saving (physical and psychological, that of the emotional labour) variety.

Thus, AI carers for children, and seniors, AI that could be relied upon for stuff such as school runs, attending school plays, meeting school teachers to get feedback on Einstein junior's class performance, AI that remembers those tedious birthdays of those on the male partner's side of the family and proactively buys (and wraps) appropriate gifts, AI that is able to plan (and timetable) family stuff - play-dates, doctor's appointments, and so on - and this is in addition to all of that (exceedingly) boring cooking, and cleaning and laundry stuff

In any case, I'd imagine that AI that is designed (by women) to meet "women's needs" may well include some of the above, but - almost certainly - would not prioritise the notion of "fully functional sexual androids" in such a design blueprint or programme.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Does anyone have Apple Home Kit and Ring devices?
  • How are you using/integrsting it?
  • Do you need third party hardware?
  • What about Home Bridge?
  • I’d want a hub independent of my home computer, which I don’t keep on all the time.
  • Is there an advantage of using Home Kit vs just using the Ring App on your iPhone?
  • I really want a remote kill switch for our pool pumps.
Thanks. If some of this is repetitive, please point me at your previous applicable reply. :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.