Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Alexa. Always listening. No thanks. Talking to your partner about holidays in Florida. Next thing every advert you see is for that exact thing. No thanks.
Ok, that alarms me somewhat, maybe a lot. I guess that could be an extension of using keywords to send you advertising as with just about everything else you do online. I wonder if they’re settings that can turn that off

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ok, that alarms me somewhat, maybe a lot. I guess that could be an extension of using keywords to send you advertising as with just about everything else you do online. I wonder if they’re settings that can turn that off
I think the fact that the device is made by the world’s biggest marketplace makes me even less likely to ever buy one.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

rsmurano

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
I had a perception of automation in the home that you’d need either an Alexa or something running Siri (HomeKit) with electronic switches like wall switches to control lights with your voice, set up so they auto come on when you walk into a room, or remotely control, them.

We are visiting our son, who has an Alexa unit and smart light bulbs. he talks to Alexa, so a wifi switch does not have to be installed. So I’m asking Apple or Alexa?

This stands out:
While Apple's HomeKit grapples with compatibility with a few hundred brands, the Alexa ecosystem is compatible with as many as 100,000 smart home devices according to data from Statista.

I have both a Roku and Apple TV so I don’t consider myself an Apple prisoner, and although I prefer IPhone and iOS to Android, I am willing to go with what is the better, and more economical setup, although since I am particularly vested in iOS if all other things like compatibility were equal, I would choose Apple. But as it is, Alexa seems like a better choice. Opinions?

Alexa compatible lights:

Siri compatible lights:

I’m very interested to see how long it takes AI to make it into these devices.I don’t know if this is still current but if it is, it sounds dismal. Of all companies I thought Apple would be on this like a duck on a June bug. :oops:

I automate almost every function in my house all thru HomeKit, with and without HomeKit compatible devices. What’s not HomeKit compatible, I use Homebridge on my server that runs plugins designed to interface with non-HomeKit aware devices. I have the following functions automated or streamed using Apple eco system:
Outside grill, indoor stove/oven, refrigerator, lights, locks, thermostat, sprinkler system, garage doors, accent lights, Apple TVs, music to multiple systems throughout the house and using Roon arc to stream audio ripped to internal hard disks plus from qobuz to my cars/golf cart

Reactions: Huntn and erihp

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Nov 2023- Alexa or Siri?
I’ve been visting my son who has Alexa, and uses it for setting timers, turning on lights, and playing Amazon music. I’ve become enamored with this device, but I got a lot of iOS stuff back home. Which is superior?

One thing, I’d like some personality. Alexa is all busines. I asked her if she enjoys teaching, and I got “not in catalog”. Come on, you can do better than that… The other thing noticible, as a basic Alexa unit, the sound is crappy. 😐

How long before something ChatGPT appears on this scene?

From 2020: https://www.lifewire.com/siri-vs-alexa-4800418
This shouldnt even be a question. Apple Homekit is superior, more flexible and more secure in everyway vs Amazons offerings.

Reactions: Huntn

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I have an Apple Watch. It tells me to stand up once an hour. My desk job largely encourages me to do the opposite.
So why would I want to invest in a product that’s going to increase my sitting time? I just have manual light switches and curtains etc. it’s really not that time out of my day to get up and deal with them. Chances are I’m on my way to the kettle or bathroom anyway.

It's more about integration and less about laziness. With smart wall switches and automated curtains you can still toggle them manually all you want. But you cant make the garage door automatically open when she arrives, and light your wifes path from the driveway into to the kitchen with a trunk full of groceries. Or maybe something as simple as lock/unlock your front door and adjust the A/C when youre away from home. These seem trivial but simple automated functions and capabilities make things better not worse.

A practical example. My mom has limited mobility and every night before bed, she would have to get up and shuffle around to go switch by switch room by room and set the lighting for the night by turning off/on switches and checking doors. Now she can set them all exactly as she wants them by pressing one button, or have them these sorta of thjngs automated for her depending on the time of day or her prefernces.

Maybe she wants to turn the fan on or off without getting up in the dark? You may see that as lazy, for her its avoiding hazard. More mobile people may still consider that sort of basic functionality as something that a modern home should be able to provide its owner given the low overall cost. If you really wanna get up out of bed to turn the fan off to keep some pride about not being lazy, you still can!

The thermostat is a great example. Who needs a new fandangled doohickey that shuts off and on when the house reaches a set temperature automatically ?? You could just go turn the central air/heat on and off manually every two hours when you feel like the temp is where you want it. Or you could let a $40 device on the wall take care of that for you.

Reactions: Huntn and b17777

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's more about integration and less about laziness. With smart wall switches and automated curtains you can still toggle them manually all you want. But you cant make the garage door automatically open when she arrives, and light your wifes path from the driveway into to the kitchen with a trunk full of groceries. Or maybe something as simple as lock/unlock your front door and adjust the A/C when youre away from home. These seem trivial but simple automated functions and capabilities make things better not worse.

A practical example. My mom has limited mobility and every night before bed, she would have to get up and shuffle around to go switch by switch room by room and set the lighting for the night by turning off/on switches and checking doors. Now she can set them all exactly as she wants them by pressing one button, or have them these sorta of thjngs automated for her depending on the time of day or her prefernces.

Maybe she wants to turn the fan on or off without getting up in the dark? You may see that as lazy, for her its avoiding hazard. More mobile people may still consider that sort of basic functionality as something that a modern home should be able to provide its owner given the low overall cost. If you really wanna get up out of bed to turn the fan off to keep some pride about not being lazy, you still can!

The thermostat is a great example. Who needs a new fandangled doohickey that shuts off and on when the house reaches a set temperature automatically ?? You could just go turn the central air/heat on and off manually every two hours when you feel like the temp is where you want it. Or you could let a $40 device on the wall take care of that for you.
Oh I’m sure for those who are less physically able they are a godsend. But for me I really do t need it. We have sensors on the front and rear that turn on when you are out after dark.
We have a modern underfloor heating with a thermostat in each room. They just turn on when it gets below a certain temperature. Then turns off when it gets above it.
As for parking in the garage? I wish! Too much stuff in there I’m afraid.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Two of the most totally-awesome things I ever installed in my home were the Leviton Decora D215S-1BW's (2nd Gen)

They basically control the outdoor lights on each entrance of my home.

I can, of course, physically toggle on/off.

I can also ask Siri to toggle; schedule; geo-locate; and remote-from-anywhere.

My Honeywell T9 is finally Homekit-enabled, and I can finally control my HVAC from anywhere I am Connected world-wide.

It sometimes seems silly to ask Siri to turn the Front Porch light off (or lower the heat to 19C) from a room-away, but sometimes a guy just has to do what a guy has to do ;)

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Oh I’m sure for those who are less physically able they are a godsend. But for me I really do t need it. We have sensors on the front and rear that turn on when you are out after dark.
We have a modern underfloor heating with a thermostat in each room. They just turn on when it gets below a certain temperature. Then turns off when it gets above it.
As for parking in the garage? I wish! Too much stuff in there I’m afraid.

Im just illustrating that Home Automation can be more like Home Augmentation when done correctly.

You dont lose functionality or have to change 'the old ways', you only gain new functionality and capability from the most valuable asset you own. There is almost no downside when you employ the right technologies and invest properly in reliable low cost products.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Im just illustrating that Home Automation can be more like Home Augmentation when done correctly.

You dont lose functionality or have to change 'the old ways', you only gain new functionality and capability from the most valuable asset you own. There is almost no downside when you employ the right technologies and invest properly in reliable low cost products.
Except the issue with hackers and corporation’s listening in.
Not for me. It won’t enhance my life one bit.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Except the issue with hackers and corporation’s listening in.
Not for me. It won’t enhance my life one bit.
I can understand the hesitation, but security and privacy are the tenants of HomeKit. That is what sets Apples solution took apart from the others. I think if you were more aware of how HomeKit worked you might understand those concerns are not an issue. To each their own, though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I’ve had a programmed thermostat for over a decade, no going back. :)

Reactions: Ian Harder

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I can understand the hesitation, but security and privacy are the tenants of HomeKit. That is what sets Apples solution took apart from the others. I think if you were more aware of how HomeKit worked you might understand those concerns are not an issue. To each their own, though.
Exactly. My wife is at home 99% of the time, so it’s not like I need to turn things on when I’m at work etc.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some of the comments in the thread suggest that elements of AI may constitute something of a male fantasy.

Good luck with that, given that the those who are found dwelling in the domestic sphere still tend to be predominantly female; unless women's actual needs in AI (has anyone in the tech world ever actually enquired as to what they might be?) rather than male fantasies, are incorporated into the design of forms of AI that are supposed to operate in the domestic sphere, it will neither be successful nor accepted.

Nevertheless, in the here and now, personally, I still prefer the physical (and tactile) experience of switching something on or off, just as I prefer proper keyboards to a touchscreen.

Okay: Timers for heating, yes. This one works well.

Reactions: decafjava

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
some automations / scenes I have

when leaving - "hey Siri, goodbye" - turns off all the lights, TVs, and stops music playing
or "goodnight" turns off all the lights, TV, closes the shades, turns on the bedroom ceiling fan and air filter.

at sunset, if I'm not home, turns on some light for the cat.

when I get home and open the door - starts music, turns on lights and opens the shades (different lights/shades depending on if it's night or day) music is also different later at night.

have a ceiling fan in the bedroom, made a "dummy thermostat" for it, it will adjust the fan speed based on room temp.

under cabinet lights in the kitchen trigger on a motion sensor, but only if everything is off, so it gives you light to see. and different levels depending on day or night.

Adjust AC thermostat depending on if I'm home or not.
And have an automation/shortcut that triggers when I leave work, it checks the temperature at home, and if it's over 78, it asks if I want to turn on the AC.

have a thru-wall AC (like a window unit). When the TV turns on, it sets the AC fan to low

button by the bed, short press will turn on enough light to see to get to the bathroom and kitchen. Long press turns off all the lights.

notification if the front door opens and I'm not home.

My mom passed last year, house was unoccupied for about year while we dealt with everything. got a couple door sensors, lamp modules, cameras, and a HomePod mini, Was nice to get door notifications, see inside the house, and turn lights on/off so it looked occupied. All from 1500 miles away.

Reactions: b17777 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Some of the comments in the thread suggest that elements of AI may constitute something of a male fantasy.

Good luck with that, given that the those who are found dwelling in the domestic sphere still tend to be predominantly female; unless women's actual needs in AI (has anyone in the tech world ever actually enquired as to what they might be?) rather than male fantasies, are incorporated into the design of forms of AI that are supposed to operate in the domestic sphere, it will neither be successful nor accepted.

Nevertheless, in the here and now, personally, I still prefer the physical (and tactile) experience of switching something on or off, just as I prefer proper keyboards to a touchscreen.

Okay: Timers for heating, yes. This one works well.
Noted… :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Given that the domestic sphere is predominantly female, (and, bear in mind, that the domestic sphere often includes caring for children and seniors, as well), it would seem to me that women would need to be not just consulted re their needs when designing automation/AI in the home, but should actually be an active part of the design process.

And, I would imagine that what women might design in such circumstances would differ (perhaps dramatically) from male designs, in both conception and actual execution.

Leaving male fantasies aside, much of what men design doesn't work well - or, sometimes, doesn't work at all - for women. You need input from a diverse range of people when designing anything intended for widespread use.

Caroline Criado Perez wrote a brilliant book - entitled Invisible Women - which addressed this very topic.

And, we have seen examples, in female dominated work places, during the recent pandemic, for example, when personal protection gear, - such as face masks worn in hospitals - designed for the average male body which was assumed to be the default human, simply didn't fit most women, and thus failed to provide protection for them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Given that the domestic sphere is predominantly female, (and, bear in mind, that the domestic sphere often includes caring for children and seniors, as well), it would seem to me that women would need to be not just consulted re their needs when designing automation/AI in the home, but should actually be an active part of the design process.

And, I would imagine that what women might design in such circumstances would differ (perhaps dramatically) from male designs, in both conception and actual execution.

Leaving male fantasies aside, much of what men design doesn't work well - or, sometimes, doesn't work at all - for women. You need input from a diverse range of people when designing anything intended for widespread use.

Caroline Criado Perez wrote a brilliant book - entitled Invisible Women - which addressed this very topic.

And, we have seen examples, in female dominated work places, during the recent pandemic, for example, when personal protection gear, - such as face masks worn in hospitals - designed for the average male body which was assumed to be the default human, simply didn't fit most women, and thus failed to provide protection for them.
I suspect that when fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form finally appear with a sophisticated customizable AI personality, that there will actually be some women who love the idea of a no-fuss relationship and an attentive artificial partner as long as they can intrigue us and fill personal needs.

If you don’t want a doormat, simply turn up the resistance level, adjust quirkiness, innovation, spontaneity but leave strong affection, and common sense reasoning turned on. This is the epitome of Sc-Fi possibilities which has been imagined since the 1950-60s. We already love our electronic devices as it is, as I observe a room of people fiddling with their phones. 🙃

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, I just told Siri on my phone to set a timer which it did. 🫣 I have this old Bose speaker iPod setup, I may configure for music with a new iPod via an updated cable and I like the idea of telling it to play music, which I assume I could do via the iPod, Siri, and Apple Music.

My question is with Alexa it appears you have wide access to Amazon music for free. Is this the case with Siri and Apple Music?

Also can your iPhone, iPad, and iPod be linked together to relay music play commands to the iPod with Apple Music?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I suspect that when fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form finally appear with a sophisticated customizable AI personality, that there will actually be some women who love the idea of a no-fuss relationship and an attentive artificial partner as long as they can intrigue us and fill personal needs.

If you don’t want a doormat, simply turn up the resistance level, adjust quirkiness, innovation, spontaneity but leave strong affection, and common sense reasoning turned on. This is the epitome of Sc-Fi possibilities which has been imagined since the 1950-60s. We already love our electronic devices as it is, as I observe a room of people fiddling with their phones. 🙃
Quite candidly, (which, given how white, and how affluent, and how utterly male, much of the techbro world is, thus, this may be harder to accomplish than one might imagine even though we no longer dwell in the mental or imaginative world of the 1950s - at least, I should devoutly hope not), I would imagine that if women were (even fleetingly) consulted when designing such devices - or, actually, actively participated in, the design of such devices - that rendering them "fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form" would not be - or, would not rank - terribly high on their agenda.

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava and Huntn

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My question is with Alexa it appears you have wide access to Amazon music for free. Is this the case with Siri and Apple Music?
Neither is free. You get limited Amazon Music if you have Amazon Prime (which suits me fine as I don't listen to much newer music), but full unlimited Amazon Music has a monthly fee, as does Apple Music.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quite candidly, (which, given how white, and how affluent, and how utterly male, much of the techbro world is, may be harder to accomplish than one might imagine even though we no longer dwell in the mental world of the 1950s) I would imagine that if women were (even fleetingly) consulted when designing such devices - or, actually, actively participated in, the design of such devices - that rendering them "fully sexually functional androids in an attractive human form" would not be - or, would not rank - terribly high on their agenda.
I respect your opinion, while acknowledging this is all my male perspective. If you look at electronic devices women seem to be invested in them, maybe not as much as males, and I do acknowledge a distinct difference. Playgirl Magazine failed because of a different female perspective, at least that is the reason given. I bet if any person was isolated long enough they would choose a good AI to interact with on as many levels as they needed and was practical.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Neither is free. You get limited Amazon Music if you have Amazon Prime (which suits me fine as I don't listen to much newer music), but full unlimited Amazon Music has a monthly fee, as does Apple Music.
Thanks! Out of a large selection of older tunes I chose out of blue all but one was free to listen to with Alexa.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.