Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Good that he understood the problem. Not so good that the bug/issue tracking system does not allow to see if something is fixed in a specific version. Does not sound like professional software development, to be honest.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
He works at support, I am not sure he has access to all development tickets.
I have told him that other people on forums complain about this issue ...

Reactions: NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
This is what I noticed in my long call with support also. They seem to be totally in left in the dark concerning software issues.

Reactions: rbart

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
You are right, I hope this bug is referenced and under control ...
But I have stopped dreaming ...
They prefer to add hand washing and new faces

Reactions: Never mind

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I posted a question in the WorkOutDoors thread and thought the answer was interesting. I use WOD to track my runs lately and when I stop my watch at an even mile number (say 5.00 miles) when I look at the workout in the Activity app, it shows up as a longer distance (recent example, 5.07 miles). I asked the app creator why this might be and he said:

“The activity app uses the pedometer to calculate distance, which requires calibration to work out your stride length. By default WOD uses these distance estimates, but if you switch off "Use Calibrated Distances" then it will calculate the distance from the GPS instead.

GPS can be affected by tunnels etc, which is why it is best to try calibrating the watch first before switching off the calibrated distances: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

The reason why you see a different distance in Apple's Activity app is because it will always show Apple's calibrated distances even when WOD is showing the GPS distance.”

I wonder if you downloaded this app and used it what your result would be, distance wise. FYI: this is on a S4 + LTE (LTE turned on), I have “use calibrated distances” turned off in WOD so it is running on pure GPS.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Yes I use this app (and also an homemade app that allows me to use Apple calibrated distance OR GPS distance).
It has an impact on workout distance but it doesn't affect the resulting GPS map which can be very inconsistent if I switch on LTE.
You can't decide to have ONLY GPS for localization. The Apple Watch relies one CoreLocation API which provides a localization to the app, but you can't control how Apple calculates this localization. It's a mix of GPS, LTE localization, Wifi/BT localization ...

jared_herx

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2020
I posted a question in the WorkOutDoors thread and thought the answer was interesting. I use WOD to track my runs lately and when I stop my watch at an even mile number (say 5.00 miles) when I look at the workout in the Activity app, it shows up as a longer distance (recent example, 5.07 miles). I asked the app creator why this might be and he said:

“The activity app uses the pedometer to calculate distance, which requires calibration to work out your stride length. By default WOD uses these distance estimates, but if you switch off "Use Calibrated Distances" then it will calculate the distance from the GPS instead.

GPS can be affected by tunnels etc, which is why it is best to try calibrating the watch first before switching off the calibrated distances: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

The reason why you see a different distance in Apple's Activity app is because it will always show Apple's calibrated distances even when WOD is showing the GPS distance.”

I wonder if you downloaded this app and used it what your result would be, distance wise. FYI: this is on a S4 + LTE (LTE turned on), I have “use calibrated distances” turned off in WOD so it is running on pure GPS.

I have found the accuracy to be slightly better with WOD with the "use calibrated distances" setting off and LTE on. That being said, there are still terrible inaccuracies and I can just tell it's not tracking my pace over a mile well at all based on perceived effort and my HR. Then I get back and see that it had me out in the street, turning round in a circle, going the wrong way, and then getting back on the path. It's really pathetic. Runs w/o LTE are PERFECTLY tracked to the point where it can tell when I move either side of the path or a sidewalk. Very frustrating.

Also frustrating is that you can't use Siri for any basic functions without LTE - how is this true in 2020? She can't even turn up the volume (unless I'm missing something) without a connection. It's not like I'm asking her "what's the population of Mumbai?" I just want to turn up the music or go to the next track!

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
As I am running with Stryd I can say that the only safe and precise way to get distance and pace is using this footpod.
Of course the recorded GPS track can be awful with the Stryd app also as rbart pointed out.
Waiting for WOD with Stryd support, for me a combination from heaven.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
For all people who have GPS accuracy issues with LTE ON, please, raise the case to Apple support !!!
It's useless to only complain here, our only possibility is to spam them until they recognize the problem.
Someone on WatchOS 7 ?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I would love to do more, but I have no more ideas. Seems there is only a small fraction of users who either have the problem and if they have, they care like we do.

Ran today with LTE on (forgot it) and strangely: almost perfect GPS track. Same route where I had terrible results on same conditions. Can not explain this.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
So will any of you get an AW6 LTE with the new S6 chipset so we can see if the GPS issue is fixed?
Or do we first check watchOS 7 tomorrow?

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
So will any of you get an AW6 LTE with the new S6 chipset so we can see if the GPS issue is fixed?
Or do we first check watchOS 7 tomorrow?

I upgraded but I got GPS only. I think the AW is always going to calibrate the distance when LTE is on. I want to use pure GPS which comes out much more accurate. I can live without the service.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Did my first run today with watchOS 7 and LTE enabled.

Track looks almost good, just one minor glitch:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-17 um 13.47.14.png

So looked OK, but one run is nothing, have to see how runs 2-10 behave.

BUT: I had massive battery drain. Went for a run of one hour and my battery depleted on this run from 78% to 22% capacity. Had LTE enabled and was listening to podcast over Bluetooth (without streaming). Typically I had consumption of about 20% per hour with LTE enabled and 15% without LTE. 56% is massive for just an hour.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Battery drain is always higher the first days.
I am not very confident for gps when I look at your map ... (but it seems you have zoomed a lot)
I will test it tomorrow

jared_herx

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2020
I updated my watch as well last night and went on a 6 mile run with GPS on, LTE on, and used only the Workout (native) tracking app (not WOD). I could tell that it was tracking throughout the run at the rolling pace that felt commensurate with my HR and my perceived effort. For the first time ever with LTE on and tracking a run, the watch didn't have a period of time where I was running at a pace 1-2 min faster than my normal pace. I spent about 50% of the run streaming a podcast, so made sure to use LTE. There was a 0.75 mi area under trees (almost entirely wooded) where it reported a pace that was much slower than I thought I was running but then corrected afterwards. The watch says 6.02 mi. "How far did I run" website says 6.08 mi. This is about the difference I saw between what my phone (Xr) would get when I ran in the past.

It's hard to express, but there seems to be a qualitative difference in the tracking in that it appears much more consistent with what I have seen with GPS alone (LTE off) with my watch or with my iPhone (Xr). There were absolutely no incidents of having me turn round, veer far off the path and come back, or go to the next street over.

Fingers crossed that this is true progress and not a one-off. Only more data will tell!

Update: sorry - forgot to mention, Apple Watch 5 LTE

Last edited:
Reactions: rbart and NME42

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Jared, great that you report here. You have a AW5 LTE also I guess? And yes, hope we see some progress here.

@rbart: yes, with new releases I also experienced higher battery consumption than usual but more than 50% for an hours run? Puh. Did a reset afterwards and will report from my tomorrows run.
Forgot: quality of the track is compared to a GPS only worse. Quite wobbly but as written: only one real glitch (see image). This is an area where there shouldn't be too much of a problematic area.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Second run with watchOS 7 and LTE enabled. This time 15km and I had about 35% battery consumption, so lots better than yesterday but still not as good as with watchOS 6. But ok.

Track is really good, no glitches.

Reactions: rbart

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
That sounds good.
Battery will improve with iOS/WatchOS future releases
I run this evening and give you feedback

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
First run this evening with cellular ON
No glitch at all, nice track, but it was on a stadium so I can’t conclude

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Some good news from my run today. Did about 22km in difficult area where I had severe glitches with watchOS 6.

Good news 1) No glitches. Track is sometimes a little bit wobbly, but I had this with GPS only too
Good news 2) Battery consumption was about 2.5% per kilometer. Still a bit too much, but bearable.

Some bad news: I was coming home with 47% left of battery and within the last 30mins it dropped to 33%. Almost can see it counting down. Ok, taking a shower now and putting the watch on the charger.

Edit: did a company with mygpsfiles of the same track recorded with watchOS 6.2 with LTE disabled with the one of today with watchOS 7 and LTE enabled. Both are somehow a little wonky, but overall they are more or less the same.
Will be really interesting how your next runs are.

Last edited:

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Battery life is also a bit problematic on mine.
Maybe they have boosted the GPS and modem components to increase the precision and it has a cost on battery
The baseband version has changed a lot

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
DCRainmaker did a first test of the AW6 (just GPS) and it is on par with the new Garmin Forerunner 745 GPS accuracy wise.

(but one should note that the newer watches from Garmin with Sony chipsets are far worse than earlier models)

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Interesting test, but I am not sure it’s a cellular version.
and we don’t know if the improvement comes from series 6 or watchos7...

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Interesting test, but I am not sure it’s a cellular version.
and we don’t know if the improvement comes from series 6 or watchos7...

It is GPS only as I wrote. Was in contact with DC Rainmaker and for whatever reason he can get no cellular AW in Netherlands.

Just wanted to point out that accuracy is par with newer Garmins and Apple got rid with smoothing the tracks on watchOS 7. Haven’t tested this as I am using the Stryd app and not Apple Fitness.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
Another test this morning with 2 different app on the same run (with forest)
The tracking was quite good
Apple app smoothes the track
My homemade app has been used without smoothing (to have a better view on wobbles) and the tracking was also good
For the moment, I haven’t noticed any problem
But ... the overall distance seems to be a bit overestimated...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.