Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Did a repeat of my run from last week and I do not need science to see that switching LTE off improved the track MASSIVELY.

Want to guess which track is what? blue and yellow? ;-).

I have sent the files to Apple.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-07 um 10.52.49.png

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I did a race today and turned off LTE and Bluetooth for it. I too seemed to have improved accuracy. A friend ran the same race and my AW and her Garmin has the exact same distance, down to the hundredth.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I invite all people who notice this issue to raise the case to Apple support.
Send them data, screenshot ...
The more we are, the more we have chances to force them to fix that

Reactions: NME42 and MJ22

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Yes, please do so. Otherwise only rbart and myself reported it and then it is "case closed" with only a tiny fraction of all runners reporting.
Twitter Support worked best to get the case opened.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
In some aspects, the issue we have looks like the GPS issues some people are reporting with iPhone 11/iOS13:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/12/09/iphone-11-gps-tracking/
I have read this entire thread but I don't really have an issue with my Series 5 GPS accuracy, LTE on or off. When I was bringing my iPhone 11 Pro Max with me on runs my GPS track was completely useless. The only way I can get a halfway decent track is to leave the phone at home (or disconnect my watch) and use the GPS in the S5.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
To be completely honest, my GPS accuracy with LTE on with my S5 is now more consistent than few weeks ago.
I can't explain why (no software update during this time
It's not as good as whitout LTE (I can see more small glitches) but it's quite a long time I haven't seen a big error.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
My current status:

- with LTE enabled: track a little noisier and occasionally glitches/hiccups
- with LTE disabled: perfect tracks, no glitches, no hiccups.

But I bought a LTE watch to have LTE enabled not to disable it ;-)

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
My current status:

- with LTE enabled: track a little noisier and occasionally glitches/hiccups
- with LTE disabled: perfect tracks, no glitches, no hiccups.

But I bought a LTE watch to have LTE enabled not to disable it ;-)
Yeah, I feel the same way. But I can live with it off. If I need to make a call, I can just turn it back on. The only time I need to be available is a few weeks out of the year when I’m on 24/7 duty for work and I can live with the wonky GPS. I do wish they’d fix it for the future so we can take full advantage of the watch’s feature.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Sure, I can also live with it. But as I am a tech nerd, I want this problem to be solved as it is clearly solveable. Of course, with the current status I would never do a race with LTE enabled.

Also, in case I do fall during a training, I do not want to have to be able to switch back on LTE so that my watch can do the emergency call. I had a Garmin Edge bike computer with incident detection and live tracking before and there was one thing that nagged me massively: exactly this functionality was working as unreliable as can be. I sold this s*it therefore ;-).

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I had an open case with Apple on this issue and just chatted with them to update that recalibrating—as expected—did nothing, and that turning off LTE and Bluetooth was the only solution. The agent told me they have engineers checking into it and are working toward a resolution. She said she will input my own complaint to them. I would love for them to come up with a fix so I can use all of the features I pay for, and just hit the button and go off on my run without having to turn two things off first.

Reactions: rbart and NME42

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Sure, I can also live with it. But as I am a tech nerd, I want this problem to be solved as it is clearly solveable. Of course, with the current status I would never do a race with LTE enabled.

Also, in case I do fall during a training, I do not want to have to be able to switch back on LTE so that my watch can do the emergency call. I had a Garmin Edge bike computer with incident detection and live tracking before and there was one thing that nagged me massively: exactly this functionality was working as unreliable as can be. I sold this s*it therefore ;-).
This is seriously the only reason I need LTE because on runs is the only time I don't have my phone on me.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I had an open case with Apple on this issue and just chatted with them to update that recalibrating—as expected—did nothing, and that turning off LTE and Bluetooth was the only solution. The agent told me they have engineers checking into it and are working toward a resolution. She said she will input my own complaint to them. I would love for them to come up with a fix so I can use all of the features I pay for, and just hit the button and go off on my run without having to turn two things off first.
Maybe they are really working on the issue...
Let’s hope !

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
With watchOS 6.1.1, a new version of cellular operator settings has been installed.
Maybe it can have an impact on this issue ...
I will test tonight.

Reactions: MJ22 and NME42

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
No problems for me today with the updated AW4. LTE and music stream (favorite mix) via airpods active.

Reactions: NME42

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
I never had realized significant accuracy problems. Apart from in post 168 mentioned constant dicrepancies of different apps in the calculated distances.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
For my first run whiten WOS 6.1.1 and LTE ON, the track looked quite nice. No significant hiccup ...
Maybe there is an improvement ?
The total distance looked a bit high, but I am not sure ...

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Repeated my run from last week where I had fantastic results with LTE off. Today with LTE and it is also very good. No hiccups.
Both runs with Apple app.

Edit: oh wait. After checking the track again, there is one terrible hiccup. Looked at first glance very smooth but in detail I was about 50m off the track and doing a curve I did not run.

So watchOS 6.1.1 or provider update does not fix the issue.

In runalyze the hiccups are easy to locate, I only have to look at such patterns in the pace chart:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-14 um 11.58.43.png

And here is the hiccup. Difficult area, but last week was flawless without LTE. Today:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-14 um 11.59.23.png

Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Same run as last week, LTE disabled: no glitches or hiccups. Perfect track.

So it seems obvious that LTE causes the issues.

Anyone heard from Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.