Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This has been known for 10 years. processed foods have nitrates which increase the risk of cancer. the need for instant gratification by the general public though will out-perform any warnings of detriment to health, no matter how urgent. the people who say "who cares ill die anyway" can enjoy swimming in their own fluids due the effects of heart failure after suffering multiple ischemic attacks, not to mention the increase carcinogenic risks.
You can eat bacon without succumbing to heart failure. We eat so many things that are significantly worse.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
You can eat bacon without succumbing to heart failure. We eat so many things that are significantly worse.
Worse than processed bacon? Lol, like what? You're right if you don't eat it everyday and have it as part of a balanced diet nothing will probably happen (there's the slight increase risk of something but it'd be pretty smal in this situation). But nobody in the USA is capable of that given the 70% overweight stat

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Worse than processed bacon? Lol, like what? You're right if you don't eat it everyday and have it as part of a balanced diet nothing will probably happen (there's the slight increase risk of something but it'd be pretty smal in this situation). But nobody in the USA is capable of that given the 70% overweight stat
Again spreading the falsehoods. You think it's bacon that makes 70% of the United States overweight? You think it's not the burgers and fries with their excessive carbohydrate intake? I'm sorry, but having a slice or two of bacon every day is not making this country fat.

Reactions: determined09

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Again spreading the falsehoods. You think it's bacon that makes 70% of the United States overweight? You think it's not the burgers and fries with their excessive carbohydrate intake? I'm sorry, but having a slice or two of bacon every day is not making this country fat.

yes it is. amongst other things that you mentioned as well.

Reactions: Richard8655

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I love bacon so much that if I was one of the last men on Earth living with a handful of survivors and we were eating bugs and such since all the food went bad and I found a house that had solar panels and a freezer full of bacon that was still good, I would eat all the bacon myself and not share at all with the other people even if they chicks were hot and one sounds like that girl from Bob's Burgers.

Reactions: AustinIllini

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
No groans! Whoo!

Anyway, apart from the pigs flying, I've never heard of Wright bacon. I suspect it's region specific. In any case, you really ought to aim for thick cut bacon because it remains thick and meaty (if you picked your bacon instead of just grabbing a random package) when cooked. The only downside is the fat tends to remain and won't fully render. Which isn't necessarily bad if you enjoy said fat. Anyway, as the other posters said, you can bake your bacon and it'll come out crispy and the fat will render then for thick cut. My wife makes an awesome artichoke, heart of palm and kale dip that uses thick cut bacon cooked in that fashion because the fat will impart a nasty taste. The bacon does get soft, but it also releases its bacon flavor into the dip. Much like duck fat, I keep the bacon fat for up to 4 months at a time for frying other foods or whatever. Using something like unrefined coconut oil with ittends to lighten up the flavor and gives it a slight nutty richness. Plus that wonderful aroma.

Reactions: determined09

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Bacon-scented dryer sheets

This box of dryer sheets is fake. You can buy this package at Target stores for a few dollars, then put whatever you want inside the fake dryer sheet box, for example regular dryer sheets, and give it to someone as a prank.

Would you be disappointed if your dryer sheets weren't bacon scented?

bacon-scented-dryer-sheets.jpg

Reactions: JamesMike

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Bacon-scented dryer sheets

This box of dryer sheets is fake. You can buy this package at Target stores for a few dollars, then put whatever you want inside the fake dryer sheet box, for example regular dryer sheets, and give it to someone as a prank.

Would you be disappointed if your dryer sheets weren't bacon scented?

View attachment 601826
I don't think I'd want the neighborhood dogs to follow me around and attack me.

I mean, more than they do now.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Drove home from work last night on an alternate routs and saw a street near my house on my GPS called Bacon Avenue.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
How did you cure it?

The cure is kosher salt, Prague cure salt 1 (no nitrates, 6.2% nitrite), and seasoning. I rub the salt, curing salt, and seasoning onto the belly and refrigerate for five days flipping it each day.

I'll be happy to send you the complete recipe if you're interested. I've just started bacon only having smoked three bellies (~45-50 lbs). The process and finished product really has turned out to be much easier and better than expected. I'm curing a half belly right now and plan to smoke it Saturday.

I'm also curing my first loin for Canadian bacon. I'm not too sure how that will turn out though.

Here's bacon before slicing.

image.jpeg

Reactions: D.T. and JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
The cure is kosher salt, Prague cure salt 1 (no nitrates, 6.2% nitrite), and seasoning. I rub the salt, curing salt, and seasoning onto the belly and refrigerate for five days flipping it each day.

I'll be happy to send you the complete recipe if you're interested. I've just started bacon only having smoked three bellies (~45-50 lbs). The process and finished product really has turned out to be much easier and better than expected. I'm curing a half belly right now and plan to smoke it Saturday.

I'm also curing my first loin for Canadian bacon. I'm not too sure how that will turn out though.

View attachment 611691

Looking good!

Yes, send the recipe, also interested the Canadian bacon.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I just sent the recipe, I think. I don't message people so I'm kinda lost. All I saw I could do is start a conversation. Is that the same as a message?

Anyway, if I screwed up and you don't get it let me know.

If you don't mind I will pass along the Canadian bacon after I give it a try. It cures for two weeks so it won't be ready to smoke until January 31.

Reactions: JamesMike

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

View attachment 611691

OMG.

We've been buying this natural (I know there will be some clucking from the organic super squad, hahahaha) bacon, there's a couple of brands, this one is (claims to be) from non-hormonal beef, no nitrites, "uncured", it's super lean and just fantastic tasting.

Sending my address in a PM. :D

(BTW, a Conversation is the same as the old Private Message/PM, just with some expanded functionality)

Reactions: Gutwrench

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
OMG.

We've been buying this natural (I know there will be some clucking from the organic super squad, hahahaha) bacon, there's a couple of brands, this one is (claims to be) from non-hormonal beef, no nitrites, "uncured", it's super lean and just fantastic tasting.

Sending my address in a PM. :D

(BTW, a Conversation is the same as the old Private Message/PM, just with some expanded functionality)

Thank you D.T. I think I added you to the conversation. If you don't see an invite please let me know.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas

View attachment 611691
Hey @Gutwrench, what are you paying for the belly? I'm just wondering if making your own bacon is cost effective or more of a hobby? I know you can certainly save a lot of mony making homeade beef jerky, is bacon similar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.