Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Two weeks ago at Costco I bought 2 packs of bacon. The prior day it was a limit of one. The two packs should last at least a month.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I went there yesterday and was surprised. Their organic ground beef was nowhere to be found, and that never happens. And the refrigerated section nearby which is normally stocked with tons of cuts of chicken, beef and other meats was half empty.

Packaged bacon was still available, though. :) Small victories.

Be better with a hamburger under it, though.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Two weeks ago at Costco I bought 2 packs of bacon. The prior day it was a limit of one. The two packs should last at least a month.
I bought before they began their rationing. I bought maybe eight or nine packs. The thick cut. We rarely eat bacon in the traditional sense, but it's a great way to pack a bunch in sauces, stews, sandwiches, pizza, etc.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
So it begins: the disunited fiefdoms of America... o_O
People joke about it and states have non-seriously threatened, but it could happen. Historically, it has happened, hasn't it? Not in the US but in Europe. It'll probably happen long after you, I, or even my future grandchildren become part of mother nature.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Our state exports a lot of meat. We're also on the clear in terms of infections at plants. I wouldn't be surprised if by governor's decree all exports are halted to prevent price shock.
Did you mean exported out of the country? Since the farmers seem to be tossing out perishable produce even though it is needed, for meat I’d think they’d want to be selling as mush as possible (domestically).

The interesting thing is that dairy products in the grocery can be hit and miss, eggs missing from the shelf, yet reports of mass quantity of eggs being destroyed because they can’t get to market. It sounds like a limitation of the food distribution system where the original source where those eggs go, say restaurants and been closed down, and there is no easy way to reroute them. The US Dept of Agriculture is been criticized for not being a player, instead being moribund.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Bacon probably isn't going to show up in the food pyramid anytime soon, and it's not part of my (fairly heathy) diet, but I sure do love to smell it. If somebody else orders bacon in a restaurant and I pass it to them, I move the plate verrrrrry slowly past my nose!

And it's not the worst thing you could eat. A single Entenmanns chocolate donut has the same saturated and trans fat as nine strips of bacon! So skip the donut, have eight strips of bacon, and boast how diet conscious you are!
Exactly plus it has sugar and no protein.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
1 lb, fully cooked, $8.49 each. I pay to not have to do bacon cook cleanup.

Room temperature oven.
  1. Put uncooked bacon in stripes (one layer) on a nonstick baking sheet (use aluminum foil if you prefer). No need for oil or anything. Make sure that nothing can drip to prevent flames.
  2. Put bacon in the oven (still at room temp).
  3. Turn oven on at 350F/375F (depending on your oven you might go to 400F).
  4. Remove when crispy (about 15/20 minutes, just check once in a while) or cooked as you want it to be (be careful of course).
Here you have freshly cooked, tasty bacon. Very little mess, very little smell. Almost zero effort.

Reactions: JamesMike

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Room temperature oven.
  1. Put uncooked bacon in stripes (one layer) on a nonstick baking sheet (use aluminum foil if you prefer). No need for oil or anything. Make sure that nothing can drip to prevent flames.
  2. Put bacon in the oven (still at room temp).
  3. Turn oven on at 350F/375F (depending on your oven you might go to 400F).
  4. Remove when crispy (about 15/20 minutes, just check once in a while) or cooked as you want it to be (be careful of course).
Here you have freshly cooked, tasty bacon. Very little mess, very little smell. Almost zero effort.
I cook mine in a skillet because right after I fry up some eggs in beacon grease. Afterwards wipe the no-stick pan with a couple of paper towels. Really no trouble.

• Love
Reactions: yaxomoxay

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Tried eating McDonalds burgers again, no ideas to cook and not willing to go to the store tonight...

Their bacon is terrible to me. Rubbery, and no crispiness. The little bits that are easy to chew aren't worth it, still worse than other bacon from fast food. Not to mention I kept pulling the bacon out because it's not crispy.

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Tried eating McDonalds burgers again, no ideas to cook and not willing to go to the store tonight...

Their bacon is terrible to me. Rubbery, and no crispiness. The little bits that are easy to chew aren't worth it, still worse than other bacon from fast food. Not to mention I kept pulling the bacon out because it's not crispy.

I was never a fan of McD's burgers really; their fries could sure draw me in though. For fast food burgers I had Burger King pegged maybe a tad better (and not so good on the fries)..

But really I don't like burgers at all any more unless I make them from scratch with ingredients I have selected. At that when it comes to beef, I'm more likely to end up with a stir fry than a burger.

Lentil burgers are my burger go-to now, and those are from scratch too.

I admit it's only since I left the workforce that I became quite so picky about a "quick" meal. When I was still working I'd cook on weekends, freeze stuff and still end up depending on takeout from fast food places. That was usually on commutes to or from the city while telecommuting was a thing but not a guarantee all week every week and so I had staff meetings or in-house client consultations once in awhile.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Did you mean exported out of the country? Since the farmers seem to be tossing out perishable produce even though it is needed, for meat I’d think they’d want to be selling as mush as possible (domestically).
No, out of the state.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And now there is an iOS app:

BTW … welcome this thread into 2021.
Live long and prosper, Bacon Thread.....

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I happened to catch the end of an 'Americas Test Kitchen' and they were rating different brands of bacon. The one they picked was $23 a pound!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.