Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Irrational decisions continue, there are more of these on eBay if anyone wants to make a poor life choice with me.

I sold the used 6-core I had acquired a while back in a trade, but still kind of wanted another trash can. And BEHOLD! There is clearing house selling sealed NIB 6-Core, D700, 64GB and 1TB with factory warranty for $720 bucks delivered on eBay. Mine just arrived, and having verified it does actually have the factory warranty I am spreading the (very bad, don't do this) news ;).

I already got it a laptop cooling pad, finding a level one is harder than I expected, with luck it will keep it alive for some time. My Sapphire card adds a year of warranty, so I can beat on it for 2 years and if it croaks just get my money back, since I can't imagine Apple supporting it at this point. I suppose I could even put Applecare on it, but it looks like it's $300 since it is really for the new $6k+ Pros, so that doesn't feel like good math.

Viva le poor life choices!!!!
IMG_0369.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 87

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
It’s funny. I was walking the dog tonight and thinking, “Damn, I haven’t fired up my work 6,1 in ages, maybe it’s time to put it out to pasture.” It’s a 4 core D300, and my personal m1max MBp blows it away.

I hope you enjoy it and it’s useful for you!

Chucks4me

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Irrational decisions continue, there are more of these on eBay if anyone wants to make a poor life choice with me.

I sold the used 6-core I had acquired a while back in a trade, but still kind of wanted another trash can. And BEHOLD! There is clearing house selling sealed NIB 6-Core, D700, 64GB and 1TB with factory warranty for $720 bucks delivered on eBay. Mine just arrived, and having verified it does actually have the factory warranty I am spreading the (very bad, don't do this) news ;).

I already got it a laptop cooling pad, finding a level one is harder than I expected, with luck it will keep it alive for some time. My Sapphire card adds a year of warranty, so I can beat on it for 2 years and if it croaks just get my money back, since I can't imagine Apple supporting it at this point. I suppose I could even put Applecare on it, but it looks like it's $300 since it is really for the new $6k+ Pros, so that doesn't feel like good math.

Viva le poor life choices!!!! View attachment 2139648
Which macOS was pre-installed? I got the first new Mac Pro 6,1 (6core,32gb,512gb, D500) last year with a production date 02/2018 and had High Sierra pre-installed.

Reactions: dabotsonline

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
It’s funny. I was walking the dog tonight and thinking, “Damn, I haven’t fired up my work 6,1 in ages, maybe it’s time to put it out to pasture.” It’s a 4 core D300, and my personal m1max MBp blows it away.

I hope you enjoy it and it’s useful for you!
I have no doubt our M1 will smoke it, but my 5,1 is just about done for, and rather than build another one (which I might still do anyway since it’s so cheap) I jumped for this guy. I still have to spend time in Windows for work, so this will make it easy on me. I want to get an Ultra Studio, but can’t even begin to justify it. Someday….

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I have no doubt our M1 will smoke it, but my 5,1 is just about done for, and rather than build another one (which I might still do anyway since it’s so cheap) I jumped for this guy. I still have to spend time in Windows for work, so this will make it easy on me. I want to get an Ultra Studio, but can’t even begin to justify it. Someday….
I hear that. My work actually replaced my 6,1 with a 2017 iMac, which was also substantially faster! Now they’re going to replace that one, even though I keep telling them it’s fine.

Reactions: AngryRedTicTac

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It looks like they don’t ship to my country. Oh well, saved me from spending money I shouldn’t spend. ;)

Enjoy your new computers.

You can upgrade these to the 2.7ghz 12 core CPU as well if you are careful.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
What am I missing here ? That looks like an awesome deal for 600 bucks no? How is it irrational?

I’m tempted to get one as well lol
I mean, it’s $720, but yeah it’s a pretty good deal. Just not one most probably should be taking. OWC has i7 Minis new that will roast this machine in anything not requiring a GPU for a good hundred bucks less if you need windows. I on the other hand are looking for an EGPU now 😁

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I mean, it’s $720, but yeah it’s a pretty good deal. Just not one most probably should be taking. OWC has i7 Minis new that will roast this machine in anything not requiring a GPU for a good hundred bucks less if you need windows. I on the other hand are looking for an EGPU now 😁
Oh I misread it and thought u said 600

Eh sure but the mini won’t be 64gb am i right ?

JCRGH

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
Canada
*Cries in $972 Canadian* 😪

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
Nice find!
For all the (deserved) bad press they got, the nMP (2013) were such COOL little machines! I'd say they're up there with the G4 Cube in terms of being one of Apple's sleekest, boldest designs.

It's really sad that Apple chose to just ignore these after release. If they'd bothered to fix the design flaw that causes the GPUs to fry over time I'm sure they could've gotten dual Fiji (R9 Nano), Polaris (RX 480/580), and perhaps even Vega (albeit likely with reduced core counts/clock speeds) cards in there! With a bit more work to help develop the Thunderbolt ecosystem (and or along side a "full size" Mac Pro), disaster could've been averted and they would've been popular machines.

I used one briefly and it was really fun to use. Fast, quiet, compact, sleek. While I don't think I'll be joining you on this journey, I do envy you. Enjoy it! :)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Public Service Announcement, they've all gone. :( Hope your new machines give you many years of good service.

Nice find!
For all the (deserved) bad press they got, the nMP (2013) were such COOL little machines! I'd say they're up there with the G4 Cube in terms of being one of Apple's sleekest, boldest designs.

It's really sad that Apple chose to just ignore these after release. If they'd bothered to fix the design flaw that causes the GPUs to fry over time I'm sure they could've gotten dual Fiji (R9 Nano), Polaris (RX 480/580), and perhaps even Vega (albeit likely with reduced core counts/clock speeds) cards in there! With a bit more work to help develop the Thunderbolt ecosystem (and or along side a "full size" Mac Pro), disaster could've been averted and they would've been popular machines.

I used one briefly and it was really fun to use. Fast, quiet, compact, sleek. While I don't think I'll be joining you on this journey, I do envy you. Enjoy it! :)

They really are beautiful looking machines and they still run quite okay for most things. The GPUs are the only thing that worry me. Sometimes I take my 6,1 into work with me and it always is a talking point, people stop to ask "what is it" - oh, that's a computer, how fast is it, lots of questions. ;)

They are stunned to find out it's from November 2014 and has 64GB RAM, 2 video cards (12GB ram total) and the CPU is 12 core.

It's pretty impressive inside as well, I pulled mine apart to upgrade it to the 12 core CPU. It's not something for the beginner to do but you really appreciate the effort they went to on this to fit everything in, it's totally bespoke.

Last edited:

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
D500’s and d700’s have historical issues with them, to the point that apple had a public REP on them. When they fail (read: they will) you’ll lose the machine entirely, no boot unless both are detected at post.

These things are basically spinning rust at this point, think lifespan in months not years.

D300 equipped machines don’t really have the same problems but are even more geriatric. Cum ci cum sa

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
D500’s and d700’s have historical issues with them, to the point that apple had a public REP on them. When they fail (read: they will) you’ll lose the machine entirely, no boot unless both are detected at post.

These things are basically spinning rust at this point, think lifespan in months not years.

D300 equipped machines don’t really have the same problems but are even more geriatric. Cum ci cum sa

That was for earlier production runs. 2019 should be fine.

Yes the 2013 Mac Pro isn’t as robust as the older Mac Pros but they certainly aren’t a ticking time bomb either. I reserve that sort of language for the 2011 MacBook Pro.

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009

Yes they are the last new one I have used with a D500 was “dead on arrival”, it worked but kept crashing. Had to go back to Apple to be repaired 😶

You would be better of spending the money on a M1 mini unless you need those 64 GB.

Chucks4me

macrumors member
May 12, 2008

The issue was with machines produced between February and April 2015.
The machines in question here are new machines and would assume from 2018 production.
For the full price, yes, it would be very questionable purchase but for 10% of the original price?
Used machines are being sold at higher prices on eBay and with used machines you can run into the 2015 graphics problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.