Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
If you have a connection to higher education you could ask them for the education discount which makes AC+ $269. Be prepared to provide a .edu email though. They don’t usually ask, but sometimes they do random checks.
I hadn't even pondered that, but we do actually get edu discount. My wife is a teacher/tutor, so we've been buying our new stuff on edu for a decade. This made it even easier to spring for it. Excellent.....

hometech99

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Enjoy! I’ve had mine 2 years.

Why the cooling pad?

I had posted a photo with mine with a AC Infinity fan sitting perfectly on top ( the rubber on the screws sits perfectly on the trash can), and got roasted ( in typical Reddit fashion) with “why does it need it?”, “ if the Apple engineers thought it needed another cooling fan they would
have put one there”, etc

I already got it a laptop cooling pad, finding a level one is harder than I expected,

Reactions: dabotsonline

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Enjoy! I’ve had mine 2 years.

Why the cooling pad?

I had posted a photo with mine with a AC Infinity fan sitting perfectly on top ( the rubber on the screws sits perfectly on the trash can), and got roasted ( in typical Reddit fashion) with “why does it need it?”, “ if the Apple engineers thought it needed another cooling fan they would
have put one there”, etc

More airflow can never hurt, I may yet throw another fan on top but now that I'm invested into 3 years of warranty I'm probably just going to let it do it's thing.

I am happy having another trash can around, and as I'm prepping my rough looking (but perfectly functioning) 5,1 I'm wondering how long it will be before the absurdly low cost of a dual processer machine has me purchasing another one of these as well....

Reactions: Chucks4me

hometech99

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
More airflow can never hurt, I may yet throw another fan on top but now that I'm invested into 3 years of warranty I'm probably just going to let it do it's thing.

I am happy having another trash can around, and as I'm prepping my rough looking (but perfectly functioning) 5,1 I'm wondering how long it will be before the absurdly low cost of a dual processer machine has me purchasing another one of these as well....

Got it. AC Infinity is a quiet fan used to cool custom racks, cabinets etc for audio, etc.

Sorry I missed deal. Glad you ( and others) got one! Would have been good to have a backup!

I’ll have to see when mine was made by watching a video or something how to do a rom dump, but mines been running 3 years no problems.

I updated the heck out of it, mainly for hobby. But I run macOS and VM windows on it. General use, Adobe stuff, older games, file storage.

Mine is 12-core, dual d700. 128GB ram.
Amfeltec Angelshark 3 SSD daughter board -system on 2TB Apple Polaris , and 2 2TB Samsung 960 Pros for files.
CalDigit TB2 station, Atto TB2 SFP+ fiber for network, Areca TB2 Raid controller to a SAS 12gb/s 12-disc Supermicro rack
Monterey 12.6.3

I shop heavily, and got great prices on a lot of things, so I guess that’s my win ( ex. I got that $1200 Areca ARC-4883T2 TB2 to 12gb/s SAS raid adapter box NIB for $280, the Atto TB2 to SFP+ for $180, etc)

I only used fiber because I ran fiber to my office and upstairs because it was easier to run single jacketed 6-strand fiber than multiple ethernet up the wall of a 1920s house from basement ONT and router to second floor 🤣

Attachments

• 1674005641840.jpeg
    1674005641840.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 82

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Man, I'm jealous of this deal. I've always wanted one of these even though they have flaws because they were such a radical design shift for a machine like this (good or bad). Maybe I'll try to pick up a base model on ebay - they seem to be at the $350 - $400 range. Not fast, obviously!

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Man, I'm jealous of this deal. I've always wanted one of these even though they have flaws because they were such a radical design shift for a machine like this (good or bad). Maybe I'll try to pick up a base model on ebay - they seem to be at the $350 - $400 range. Not fast, obviously!
There's usually a decent supply on Craigslist around here as well, that's where I got my first one. They are just cool little machines, even if they are slipping into dinosaur territory.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
There's usually a decent supply on Craigslist around here as well, that's where I got my first one. They are just cool little machines, even if they are slipping into dinosaur territory.
All the ones in my area are $700+, but they are more akin to what you got, just not brand new and in box (which I'm jealous of!). I'll keep looking around.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
For anyone that went for one of these with me I realized something possibly important. I was about to fire up my yearly AppleCare Plus, since I'm down to a little over a week to do so, and I came across this in the AppleCare propaganda.

Additionally, unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan for fraud or material misrepresentation, or if service parts for the Covered Equipment are not available, upon thirty (30) days' prior written notice.

This seems to indicate that Apple can just say bye-bye at any time with a quick email if they choose to do so on your recurring $109/year plan. It honestly looks like they can even stick a fork in a fully paid one with just a pro rated refund. Honestly starting to wonder if just enjoying the year of coverage for free and the second year likewise free from the Sapphire card might be the most reasonable path...

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I see a few new ones on eBay still, but they’re not as good a deal. One other important thing to keep in mind when purchasing a new Mac is that the fixed term AppleCare+ plan is transferable. So it adds value to the computer if you ever plan to sell it. The subscription based annual plan is not transferable. However, anyone can purchase an annual plan within 30 days after the fixed term plan expires.

So if you’re shopping used Macs make sure it has a fixed term AC+ plan. Then you can purchase an annual plan when it expires. There should be quite a few used 7,1s with AC+ still. Almost zero 6,1s still have AC+, but I suggest to not own one without it. I saw the repair bill when I had to send one in and it was about $1800. So without AC+ a broken trash can really is trash. No doubt the same goes for the 7,1; out of warranty repairs are probably astronomical. If Apple cancels a plan prematurely due to lack of replacement parts I guess that means it’s time to buy a new Mac, but don’t go without AC+.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.