Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Nice find!
For all the (deserved) bad press they got, the nMP (2013) were such COOL little machines! I'd say they're up there with the G4 Cube in terms of being one of Apple's sleekest, boldest designs.

It's really sad that Apple chose to just ignore these after release. If they'd bothered to fix the design flaw that causes the GPUs to fry over time I'm sure they could've gotten dual Fiji (R9 Nano), Polaris (RX 480/580), and perhaps even Vega (albeit likely with reduced core counts/clock speeds) cards in there! With a bit more work to help develop the Thunderbolt ecosystem (and or along side a "full size" Mac Pro), disaster could've been averted and they would've been popular machines.

I used one briefly and it was really fun to use. Fast, quiet, compact, sleek. While I don't think I'll be joining you on this journey, I do envy you. Enjoy it! :)
Yeah, imagine this same design with TB4 ports and modern GPUs. I think the studio is the same idea, but the trashcan was actually an innovative look and design. I didn’t mind that it looked like a trash can, it also looked like a jet pack!

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
The issue was with machines produced between February and April 2015.
The machines in question here are new machines and would assume from 2018 production.
For the full price, yes, it would be very questionable purchase but for 10% of the original price?
Used machines are being sold at higher prices on eBay and with used machines you can run into the 2015 graphics problem.
Mine was actually March of 2019, I assume the lot of them were. About as new as there ever could be at this point.

Chucks4me

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Wohoo 🎉! “Final Edition MacPro 6,1”
Waiting for the shipping details.
I ordered last night and they were sold out this morning.
I used the Costco Credit card and got 2 years extended warranty with it.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Mine was actually March of 2019, I assume the lot of them were. About as new as there ever could be at this point.

I have seen some for sale with a production date of 2020. Not sure how thst works since supposedly Apple ended production in 2019.

My guess is they are either refurbished units that are not marked as such or Apple still had one assembly line going to finish up orders placed by large scale customers after “official production” ended.

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
A computer that is dead on arrival is a completely different problem no?

How long has it lasted since Apple repaired it?
Well it was not totally dead, worked but was quite unstable.

I did use it like 2 years then it went back to the company IT as it was not my personal machine.

I nearly wanted to buy one today when I saw this thread but decided not too as it is a bit dated.

2019 Mac pros unfortunately are way to overpriced for what they are especially these days (at least I think so).

Last edited:

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016

I did use it like 2 years then it went back to the company IT as it was not my personal machine.

I nearly wanted to buy one today when I saw this thread but decided not too as it is a bit dated.

So you don’t even know that it was a GPU problem?

I am just saying that a brand new computer that has problems out of the box isn’t proof that the trash can Mac Pro still had GPU design issues in 2018. All signs point to those issues being from earlier production runs.

But ya, the system is a 2013 design so pretty dated today. The biggest problem I have with it is the IO was never updated to Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 devices are really hard to come by. Combined with the USB all being on a single lane and there are real IO limitations unless you can ise those TB2 ports.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
What...?
thanks

wow , heck of a price , if i were in the US i'd get that for my dad who needs windows .

afaik bootcamp is just as good as an actual windows desktop aint it ?

i want my dad to use macOS but he needs windows for his pro software which he uses thrice a year lol

so if i could have him use macOS 99% of the time ,whilst having a solid windows backup for when he needs it , it'd be good

sadly i doubt bootcamp will come to m1 ....

Chucks4me

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
So you don’t even know that it was a GPU problem?

I am just saying that a brand new computer that has problems out of the box isn’t proof that the trash can Mac Pro still had GPU design issues in 2018. All signs point to those issues being from earlier production runs.

But ya, the system is a 2013 design so pretty dated today. The biggest problem I have with it is the IO was never updated to Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 devices are really hard to come by. Combined with the USB all being on a single lane and there are real IO limitations unless you can ise those TB2 ports.
You can use a TB3/4 hub and get USB 3.2 with that.
If the design is dated is up for discussion but could imagine a comeback of such a form factor with a M4 superultrapro.
That internal component updatability the “pros” always lament is a thing of the past.
In my opinion it is a great machine and fits nice in my collection.
I have a few M1 macs already but was looking for intel macs. Used 2015 laptops in stellar condition with box sell for at least $550.00. So these Mac pros are a no brainer in new condition with warranty.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
You can use a TB3/4 hub and get USB 3.2 with that.
If the design is dated is up for discussion but could imagine a comeback of such a form factor with a M4 superultrapro.
That internal component updatability the “pros” always lament is a thing of the past.
In my opinion it is a great machine and fits nice in my collection.
I have a few M1 macs already but was looking for intel macs. Used 2015 laptops in stellar condition with box sell for at least $550.00. So these Mac pros are a no brainer in new condition with warranty.

Sorry, by design I meant the internal architecture. The physical design of these things is amazing. I wish the new Studio looked as good!

Ya I always wonder what you loose converting TB2 to TB3. It always seems like there is something that won't get passed through with the conversion. Plus you can't drive a 5k display off of a single TB2 line, no matter how you try to convert that.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
thanks

wow , heck of a price , if i were in the US i'd get that for my dad who needs windows .

afaik bootcamp is just as good as an actual windows desktop aint it ?

i want my dad to use macOS but he needs windows for his pro software which he uses thrice a year lol

so if i could have him use macOS 99% of the time ,whilst having a solid windows backup for when he needs it , it'd be good

sadly i doubt bootcamp will come to m1 ....
I don't even know if bootcamp exists anymore. It definitely doesn't on M Macs as MS hasn't released an ARM version of Windows and won't until Qualcomm let's them go. AFAIK you can still use Parallels for Windows but it's a little more complicated than dual booting from bootcamp.
Honestly unless you're running Windows exclusive programs, macOS is just as easy to use as Windows for casual computing.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I don't even know if bootcamp exists anymore. It definitely doesn't on M Macs as MS hasn't released an ARM version of Windows and won't until Qualcomm let's them go. AFAIK you can still use Parallels for Windows but it's a little more complicated than dual booting from bootcamp.
Honestly unless you're running Windows exclusive programs, macOS is just as easy to use as Windows for casual computing.
Parallels is kinda painful and isn’t free… rather expensive actually

I do believe that macOS still support boot camp on Intel macs

Oh yeah, I’d like my dad to use windows only when he needs to do his paper stuff , and use macOS for anything else

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

2019 Mac pros unfortunately are way to overpriced for what they are especially these days (at least I think so).

If you need a machine with lots of RAM, two very powerful GPUs and huge storage, what else is available to do the job of the 2019 Mac Pro? Apple has no alternatives and the PC workstation alternatives are also at new car prices.

It exists for me in Ventura using 2019 Mac Pro (Intel W3245 16 core processor). I know, I'm one of those evil traitors that got a 2019 Mac Pro. ;)

I'm using Windows 11 Pro for Workstations for Windows only programs and it runs actually even quicker than Ventura. I installed it on an NVME drive.

Attachments

• bootcamp.png
    bootcamp.png
    140 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I just saw this thread. That's a phenomenal deal on a 6,1. I probably would have picked up another if I noticed it before they sold out, but now I have the 7,1, so I don't need it. I don't see how those ones on eBay could have the factory warranty though. You have to purchase it from an authorized reseller for that. If you're somehow able to get AppleCare+ for it that's awesome, but I really don't think they'll accept an eBay invoice as proof of purchase.

AngryRedTicTac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
09D6167C-18A2-4251-94B8-55442FD35BA0.jpeg
I just saw this thread. That's a phenomenal deal on a 6,1. I probably would have picked up another if I noticed it before they sold out, but now I have the 7,1, so I don't need it. I don't see how those ones on eBay could have the factory warranty though. You have to purchase it from an authorized reseller for that. If you're somehow able to get AppleCare+ for it that's awesome, but I really don't think they'll accept an eBay invoice as proof of purchase.
I was pretty skeptical, so I called Apple to activate the warranty as soon as it arrived with the serial on the box. I didn’t open it in case I had to send it back. They took a few minutes, but it did indeed activate the warranty.

It is eligible for Applecare+, but at $299 I’m not sure I’m going to bother. My card already extends it to 2 years…

Last edited:

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Parallels is kinda painful and isn’t free… rather expensive actually

I do believe that macOS still support boot camp on Intel macs

Oh yeah, I’d like my dad to use windows only when he needs to do his paper stuff , and use macOS for anything else
Well, as Apple has to still support the intel processors it's selling, you could look into building a hackintosh pc that will dual boot and be fairly cheap to build. Or build a cheap pc for his paper stuff and get him an iPad Air or used 11" M1 Pro for the rest.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
If you need a machine with lots of RAM, two very powerful GPUs and huge storage, what else is available to do the job of the 2019 Mac Pro? Apple has no alternatives and the PC workstation alternatives are also at new car prices.

It exists for me in Ventura using 2019 Mac Pro (Intel W3245 16 core processor). I know, I'm one of those evil traitors that got a 2019 Mac Pro. ;)

I'm using Windows 11 Pro for Workstations for Windows only programs and it runs actually even quicker than Ventura. I installed it on an NVME drive.
Yeah I figured it had to still exist for the intel macs.

I dunno, I could build a pc for $8000 that would run literal circles around a W3245 Mac Pro. It may not last as long or run quite as stable but it wouldn't be a slouch by any stretch.

Yeah that was always my experience running 10Pro on High Sierra (which was the last build I used professionally). Windows really likes the stability of the sourced Apple parts that work well together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.