Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Let's hope they don't go crazy with the thinness (which from what I gather Ive is pretty big on) because if they put a 2500+ mAh battery that's going to lead to some serious battery life improvements.

If the current iPhone can go almost toe to toe with devices that use a 3000 mAh battery despite it's 1520 mAh battery, then putting in a battery with another 1000 mAh is going to force everyone else to step up their game on the batterylife front. So it's a win-win kind of thing as even people who don't use iPhones will see their device makers producing devices that last for more than a day or two between recharges.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
The shareholders want Apple to make lots of profits. But they should also be wanting Apple to be innovative in the mobile phone space, just like Apple was in the tablet/netbook space. An oversized phone from Apple is not innovation, it's just blinding catering to the market.

I'd rather Apple do something that is better than the oversized phones, just like the iPad was better than the netbooks. This is not code for I don't like oversized phones. It's code for I'm disappointed Apple are making oversized phones and not something better than oversized phones that get the same things done, just done in a better way.

How do you know apple aren't producing an oversized phone and something innovative?Why is it mutually exclusive?

How about the way the iTime will connect to the phone? How about NFC payments linked to fingerprints? How about a super easy and sophisticated coding language? How about something no one here has heard of or thought of yet?

Unless you think that Apple actually are the only people with good ideas, so by definition if someone else has an idea then apple can't do that as well because it will validate it? So we can't have an add on swype style keyboard because android allows that? Or a size if phone that many other people want because Samsung came out with one first?

Goodness I hope Samsung doesn't invent a battery that lasts for 5 years on a single charge because according to your reasoning, it wouldn't be innovative for apple to have one as well.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Let's hope they don't go crazy with the thinness (which from what I gather Ive is pretty big on) because if they put a 2500+ mAh battery that's going to lead to some serious battery life improvements.

If the current iPhone can go almost toe to toe with devices that use a 3000 mAh battery despite it's 1520 mAh battery, then putting in a battery with another 1000 mAh is going to force everyone else to step up their game on the batterylife front. So it's a win-win kind of thing as even people who don't use iPhones will see their device makers producing devices that last for more than a day or two between recharges.

I think 1810 mAh battery for the 4,7" is pretty much confirmed.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Goodness I hope Samsung doesn't invent a battery that lasts for 5 years on a single charge because according to your reasoning, it wouldn't be innovative for apple to have one as well.
That is correct, if Samsung invented a battery like that and put it in their phones, it would not be innovative for Apple to use the same tech. It would a revolutionary change by Samsung. That doesn't mean Apple shouldn't then use that tech in their phones, but it's not innovation.

If Apple added 1 meter wireless charging to the iPhone, that would be innovative. If Apple came up with a way to use TouchID without having a home button, that would be innovative.

The issue here is that all anyone is going off of are the rumors and possible leaks, which so far have shown nothing more than a upsized iPhone 5s. If Apple comes out in September and trolls the world by showing something completely different, then good but up until that happens, expect some people to be disappointed in what they have seen.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
How do you know apple aren't producing an oversized phone and something innovative?Why is it mutually exclusive?

How about the way the iTime will connect to the phone? How about NFC payments linked to fingerprints? How about a super easy and sophisticated coding language? How about something no one here has heard of or thought of yet?

Unless you think that Apple actually are the only people with good ideas, so by definition if someone else has an idea then apple can't do that as well because it will validate it? So we can't have an add on swype style keyboard because android allows that? Or a size if phone that many other people want because Samsung came out with one first?

What you said is quite off topic and nothing about what I said. I was just saying that making yet another over sized phone is not better than a oversized phone device, it's the same thing. I had hoped Apple would do something better.

But to what you did say I agree 100%. Apple are not the only folks with good idea. For one I loved the Microsoft courier tablet concept so much. If it was released with a good OS and eco system I would have bought it. But it never got off the ground.

I even own a Samsung camera. NX300. I was after a Sony NEX one but the Samsung one came up at a very good price. So I grabbed it and takes great photos. What Samsung and Sony have done on the compact system camera market is nothing short of amazing.

Anyone can innovate. Apple did not here if their rumoured oversized phone rumours are true. Integration with iTime is different though. I need a reason to buy a smart watch. I am not against smart watches, I just don't see a need for myself to get one. I don't know what it can do that the iPhone/iPad can't do. When the iTime is released I'm sure Apple will tell me why I need it. Then I'll consider it then. Then I'll know if it's for me. Right now I do not know due to not enough information about it being out there.

Also.. you don't like oversized phones :D
Correct. But that has no relation to what I said. But ya I don't like them.

I'm curious, what exactly do you have in mind? People use their smartphones nowadays as pocket computers. Browsing web, watching movies, etc. The other day my wife edited a short movie on her phone. All this goes better using a big(ger) screen.

I tell you what disappoints me, after having seen the mockups: those oversized bezels, which will make the phones comically huge. Certainly bigger, than they have to be. Just for the sake of the home button and a 'pleasant, symmetrical look'. I was hoping that Apple will squeeze the maximize the screen size and still keep the size down and come up with something really innovative, not just blown up iPhone 5 siblings.

Your wife is a good example. I know smart mobile phones can do amazing things. But it's not really designed for editing movies. An iPad screen size would be so much better. The issue here is say you make the phone way oversized to cater for things like this. Then all the good points about being able to use the phone with one hand (for average or smaller hands) and being able to fit in average sized pockets goes out the window. The larger a phone is, the less portable it is. Get too big and it just would feel like an iPad mini that can make calls. That's apart from the fact using a phone really oversized as a phone looks strange when you put it to your ear. Not really important but one would think that would matter to Apple.

Your 2nd paragraph is exactly what I mean totally. Well said. A larger phone screen just for sake of larger with zero other innovations. That's no better than anything the competition does. And why would someone buy an oversized Apple phone when Samsung, HTC etc etc have them out already. If you don't need the iTunes ecosystem then you can get good oversized phones now. Not from Apple of cause. Why would that crowd choose Apple? That's what Apple have to answer. if it's just an oversized 5S then might as well not go Apple. But if the iPhone 6 has some real innovations then maybe it might be worth getting.

That’s an interesting point comparing this situation to the netbook fiasco. Perhaps Apple does have another magical outside the box answer like they gave us with the iPad, and we should just wait for that. But wow what else could give us more screen real estate without the tradeoff of portability and one-handed use? Eye wear? Holographic screens? I think it’s gonna have to be something crazy.

But if they don’t have a magic answer coming soon (either because they haven’t thought of it yet or the technology is too far out of reach or too immature), then that leaves the question of what do they do with the demand until then? What if because of technological limitations the answer is still 5-10 years away? Do they just ignore it, to the detriment of both the Apple customer and their own revenue?

Also while this argument addresses the general desire for more screen real estate on your phone, it doesn’t address the problem of a one sized phone having to accommodate different sized people with different sized hands and pockets. Shouldn’t there at least be somewhat different sized iPhones for their sake? By the way, is your argument also against the 4.7” or just the 5.5”?

*Very off topic to this post, but now is a good time to ask as any— Why do so many people refer to Apple as a plural entity? Eg. “Apple do”, “Apple are”, etc. That sounds so weird. It’s “Apple does”, and “Apple is”, am I right?! I wouldn’t mention this if it was just occasional, but I feel like at least half the comments in Macrumors are doing this.

I agree with you, what does the iPhone 6 offer that the other oversized smartphones from Samsung, HTC etc etc don't already have? That's what I want Apple to answer. But if you say there tech is not going to be there for 5-10 years, Apple have two options. Just make larger 5S's or don't enter the oversized phone market will the tech is ready to make them amazing. Just making a profit before it can be amazing for profits is great for the bottom line but it does scream innovation. It actually screams the opposite. I do realise Apple is one of those companies that need to keep innovating to get sales.

How large is too large for a phone? That's a very subjective question. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. I think too large is when it becomes bad at what it was originally designed to do. Ie be a phone that is usable by one hand well and fits in most pockets well. In that case get a phone sized phone and a tablet or notebook. But then you have multiple devices and people want to limit the number of devices they want to carry with them . . . you get my point. And that's the issue. Phone sized phones and over sized phones do very different things well. One could successfully argue tablets to the things an oversized phone does well even better. But taking phones only, it's a sacrifice. Having both sizes would alleviate that. Even though I think the iPad mini is the real answer and not an oversized phone.

And to specific sizes, 4.7 inch or 5.5 inch both work. I don't care which one Apple uses in addition to the current iPhone size. But Having both the 4.7 and 5.5 is dumb. Just pick one. Both is not needed.

And Apple is singular and plural I think depending on the contest. "Apple is" is more related to the Apple the company. But Apple are a lot of employees working to make/design us products. The is/are thing is all about the context in which you are referring to Apple.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
That is correct, if Samsung invented a battery like that and put it in their phones, it would not be innovative for Apple to use the same tech. It would a revolutionary change by Samsung. That doesn't mean Apple shouldn't then use that tech in their phones, but it's not innovation.

If Apple added 1 meter wireless charging to the iPhone, that would be innovative. If Apple came up with a way to use TouchID without having a home button, that would be innovative.

My point is, the attitude seems to be, if it's not innovative, "we" don't want it and "we" certainly don't want any other apple users to have it either:eek: Apple users can't even have the choice of either a 4.7 or a 5.5, they are only allowed one. So never mind that might lose literally millions of users to the whole ecosystem, you only get one. Because it's "dumb" apparently. Never mind that some folks want a 5.5 and others think that's too big and a 4.7 is the sweet spot. Nope you only get one choice. Because it's "dumb" to have choice. Apparently.

Never mind how many people like the non innovative thing, be it a bigger screen, or a 5 year battery, because if Sammy come up with it then according to the8thark, "it's being produced blindly" and we can't have it because we can only have innovative things. Indeed I'm surprised he is ok with apple having mice and windows, because they didn't invent those.

what does the iPhone 6 offer that the other oversized smartphones from Samsung, HTC etc etc don't already have? That's what I want Apple to answer.
That would be iOS and the Apple ecosystem? How is that difficult to understand? Are you aware there are literally tens of millions that switched from Apple only to get a bigger screen? And that will switch back the instant a bigger screen with ioS is available? Why should I or they have to compromise on my phones screen size merely because you think it's "dumb" to have a choice ?

Anyway Apple obviously don't think its dumb. Goodness knows how you will cope with all the non innovation going on imminently. Bigger screens, a choice of screen sizes, changeable keyboards, widgets, life is going to be hell for you the next few months.

Last edited:

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
My point is, the attitude seems to be, if it's not innovative, "we" don't want it and "we" certainly don't want any other apple users to have it either:eek: Apple users can't even have the choice of either a 4.7 or a 5.5, they are only allowed one. So never mind that might lose literally millions of users to the whole ecosystem, you only get one. Because it's "dumb" apparently. Never mind that some folks want a 5.5 and others think that's too big and a 4.7 is the sweet spot. Nope you only get one choice. Because it's "dumb" to have choice. Apparently.

Never mind how many people like the non innovative thing, be it a bigger screen, or a 5 year battery, because if Sammy come up with it then according to the8thark, "it's being produced blindly" and we can't have it because we can only have innovative things. Indeed I'm surprised he is ok with apple having mice and windows, because they didn't invent those.

That would be iOS and the Apple ecosystem? How is that difficult to understand? Are you aware there are literally tens of millions that switched from Apple only to get a bigger screen? And that will switch back the instant a bigger screen with ioS is available? Why should I or they have to compromise on my phones screen size merely because you think it's "dumb" to have a choice ?

Anyway Apple obviously don't think its dumb. Goodness knows how you will cope with all the non innovation going on imminently. Bigger screens, a choice of screen sizes, changeable keyboards, widgets, life is going to be hell for you the next few months.

I guess I am reading those comments differently. Seems to me there is disappointment that Apple would just upsize the iPhone to get to 4.7" and/or 5.5" screen sizes, instead of getting to those screensizes in a different manor. I can't say I disagree with that.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
How can you say Apple making a 5.5" phone is wrong?
Because it is. Apple got it right with the iPad. They didn't make a netbook, they made a good product to beat the netbooks. But Apple is not making a product to better the over sized phones. They are just blindly entering the market. Sure it'll make Apple lots of money. If profits are all you care about then sure it's a good move. But past that it's not a good sign. I'd rather see Apple make products with more thought. Just like in the netbook scenario, I'm waiting to see if Apple can make a product to better the oversized phones. But that is looking like it won't happen.

Just explaining myself so you realise how Apple is wrong in this, even it won't affect their bottom line at all.

I'm glad Apple has you to look after them even though Apple and everyone else appears to be "wrong". Where were you when Apple was wrong about the iPad mini too?

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
iOS doesnt work that way ....
It depends. If an app continuously uses GPS then it will continue using GPS even while the app has been suspended in the background which can drain your battery, so closing those apps can help. Otherwise, if it isn't using GPS/Geofencing then the app is suspended and has no effect on your battery, so might as well leave them running.

I really have a hard time understanding all the hate towards a bigger device. I can understand if you don't prefer it and leave it at that, but it's like some people are losing their minds about it.

I think it's just that people seem paranoid that Apple will slowly kill off the 3.5'' iPhone 4S, then the 4.0'' iPhones, and eventually even the 4.7'' iPhones until all that's left is 5.5'', leaving them with no option but to either keep their existing iPhone for the rest of their lives, or finally upgrade to the 5.5'' iPhone to get the latest features but then they're stuck with a phone they feel is too large.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You make an interesting point.

I don't want something that works quite well.

I want something that works extremely well, has a fantastic support network and works seamlessly with my other Apple devices (out off the box too-without any tweaking, modifying or workarounds).

Somehow I knew that would be the reply.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Somehow I knew that would be the reply.

But it was an honest reply.

I've always been honest about my feelings about the Android O/S (I still don't like it) and the various high end Android handsets (I don't like them either), so all in all Android isn't for me, as not only do I not like the O/S or the handsets, but I don't wanna handset that doesn't integrate seamlessly with my existing setup.

I'm also not convinced about Android's security (or lack thereof), but I don't have anything specific to base that on, just what I keep reading.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
But it was an honest reply.

I've always been honest about my feelings about the Android O/S (I still don't like it) and the various high end Android handsets (I don't like them either), so all in all Android isn't for me, as not only do I not like the O/S or the handsets, but I don't wanna handset that doesn't integrate seamlessly with my existing setup.

I'm also not convinced about Android's security (or lack thereof), but I don't have anything specific to base that on, just what I keep reading.

I respect that. And your honesty. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Logic boards don't need to be made to be exact materials to look exact,, they could be a complete fake, and just said "make to work exactly, and made of such and such"

How do we know this didn't happen ?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I guess I am reading those comments differently. Seems to me there is disappointment that Apple would just upsize the iPhone to get to 4.7" and/or 5.5" screen sizes, instead of getting to those screensizes in a different manner. I can't say I disagree with that.

I am intrigued. Please explain how you'd get to a larger screensize without, errm, a larger screen?

----------

IMO the main issue with Android security is nothing to do with Android as such, its to do with the way the whole mess of vendors, ISPs and Google work(or dont work) to make it very difficult or often impossible to get new releases.

So with iOS there have been a few security issues. Apple issues a fix. Pretty much everyone upgrades to it within days or weeks. Done. Fixed.

With Android, a security issue often simply cannot be fixed in practice because although Google issued an update, either or both of the ISP and the handset vendor stopped issuing new releases roughly 17.3 picoseconds after they shipped the phone. Not done. Not fixable.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
I am intrigued. Please explain how you'd get to a larger screensize without, errm, a larger screen?

Where did I say the screen wouldn't be larger? I said getting to a larger screen without just up sizing the iPhone 5s, like say, get rid of the home button? Go with an asymmetrical design? Come up with some other type of design that I'm not smart enough to think of because that is what Apple is supposed to be all about.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
A7 = 28nm
A8 = 20nm
A9 = 14nm :apple:
While we really don't know anything about what process the A8 in manufactured on and even less about the A9, the size of the die has very little to do about the size of the packaging. Especially since the packaging in this case includes one or more RAM chips too.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
While we really don't know anything about what process the A8 in manufactured on and even less about the A9, the size of the die has very little to do about the size of the packaging. Especially since the packaging in this case includes one or more RAM chips too.

Yes. All I was saying was:

The A7 is 28nm
The A8 is 20nm (trust me)
The A9 will be 14nm if Samsung and Global Foundries get it together by the end of 2015. ;) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.