Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
And yet, Apple will still find a way to make it last only thirty minutes...

What world do you live in? The one where Apple's iPhone gets 30 minutes and everyone else's phone gets about 25 minutes?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Will handhelds be powerful enough to drive output to 4K screens eventually, sure. Do they need to operate in a 4K mode constantly or have built-in displays actually run that resolution? Defiantly not.

I'd rather see those resources put to better uses.

I imagine that by the time 4K becomes "standard", devices will have no more issues, performance or battery-wise, powering them than devices today have powering 1080p.

And never say never. Remember Bill Gates' infamous quote (which he may not have actually said) about 640K memory?

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Long story short, Apple should make what they think is the best products, but just catering blindly to a market want.

No. I am saying Apple making a 5.5 inch phone is wrong. But I agree with you it's a polarising issue. Some love their oversized phones and others think they are toxic cancer. One side or the other is how most people sit on this issue.

How can you say Apple making a 5.5" phone is wrong? Wrong for who? Not for Apple or the people willing to buy it. It's not for everyone just like 4" or iPhone 5C isn't for everyone either. So who is left besides one guy on the internet saying that Apple is making a mistake? Guess who that guy is.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
What world do you live in? The one where Apple's iPhone gets 30 minutes and everyone else's phone gets about 25 minutes?

Dude, chill and take it with a grain of salt.

----------

To be fair... you will find a way to make it last 30 minutes :rolleyes:
Everyone else will make it last 6 hours :p :D

Again, chill. Take it with a grain of salt... Etc. etc...

And 6 hours of battery life is terrible so if that's what you're getting I wouldn't be making fun of what I said if I were you...

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Look in the mirror.. this is the culprit of that issue! I make it through the day with moderate use and still have 30-40% left after a 5am - 10pm day. Thats with moderate texting, some news browsing, a few Facebook posts, a few calls and a boat load of email.. :cool:

Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery. :rolleyes:

You could not be more wrong.. about the closing apps part at least. Here's some resources explaining why and how:

iOS: Understanding Multitasking
Multitasking doesn't slow down the performance of the foreground app or drain battery life unnecessarily.

Misconceptions about iOS Multitasking
the iOS multitasking bar does not contain "a list of all running apps". It contains "a list of recently used apps". The user never has to manage background tasks on iOS.

And finally, a video: http://vimeo.com/34660348

That, if you watch it, will show you that when you exit an iOS app, it will stop using any CPU cycles, and while it will keep itself in memory, it will only do so for as long as it is able. When you open an app that requires more memory than is available, iOS will automatically free up the necessary memory.

Now as far as the guy that you quoted goes, what he (and others who are having battery life issues) needs to do is turn off certain apps in the Background App Refresh section, the Location Services section, and the Notifications section. Also restarting the phone every now and then couldn't hurt either. But he never has to go into the multitasking window to quit out of all of his apps.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I just hope they announce and release the 5.5" iPhone 6 at the same time as the 4.7" model. If Apple plays their cards right, I'll be making the switch back from Android. :D

They will if 5.5" model is true. They may delay the sale but announcement must be made the same time with 4.7". I believe they may just make certain number of 5.5" version available at launch and the rest is just back orders for several weeks. They want to grab the number of orders at launch for records.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
IF sapphire gets used on the phones, then I think it's partly to help with reselling trade-in phones to third world markets at a lower price. Replacement cases for scratched up refurbs are relatively cheap. Replacing the display glass is not. Sapphire makes it easier to resell more used devices at greater profit.

Again I ask: Is this (scratched Gorilla glass) a big problem? I'm on here (much) too much and I just don't hardly ever see threads or even comments within threads about scratched glass. Sure, it happens but it seems like it's not very common… perhaps even what would be called rare.

Shattered screens? Oh yes, THAT's common. But sapphire doesn't do much for that very big problem.

So maybe scratched glass on front is a much bigger problem than I've noticed. Otherwise, I feel like there's an effort to mentally inflate a small problem to rationalize a more expensive part… OR we are trying to imagine that increased scratch resistance means increased shatter resistance (which it doesn't).

Either way, I feel like sapphire is sort of like "thin" now- we expect it because there's enough fact + rumor to mean it's likely, and we'll feel almost cheated if we don't get it. But in the end, it's a transparent rectangle. For those stuck on "what other people think" mode, the only way other people will know it's sapphire is if you tell them… and then you'll need to further explain why that's a big deal.

If you've scratched your GG in the past, you may enjoy knowing that this material is more resistant against future scratches. If you've never scratched your GG in the past, the net upside is maybe a bit more confidence about not having a first time (scratch). In either case though, which will likely cost more to replace a shattered screen: GG or sapphire?

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?
You are absolutely right for those who really use their phones for many things other than talk and text. As much as I love big screen, I don't see the point of switching just for it because I invested a lot in iOS apps and these worked so well for me. For those "Talk and text" people, it doesn't matter right? Their user requirements for the device are not that much.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
to put it simply, yes...

Especially if you are 6'6" like me. The current iPhone is simply too small to be used.

What did you use before 2007? This one?

Attachments

• First Cell Phone.jpg
    First Cell Phone.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 60

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Those logic boards are meant for the phone. Why would an Apple TV have space for a LTE modem and sim card slot ;)
Also, the iPod touch does not have either. :)

So go try. It's easy to imagine eight-tenths of 1 inch DIAGONAL as being a huge behemoth that "requires new pants with bigger pockets" but it's not that big of a difference. Go to a store that sells phones not branded with a fruit and you can see screen sizes up to 6" today. See if they'll fit non-cargo pants, etc. It's easy.
I use a wallet that is around 160 mm diagonal and it fits in my right side pocket without much issue. It does bend somewhat and would have a different aspect ratio than a 5.5" iPhone, but I don't expect that putting a 5.5" iPhone in my pocket and walking around would be problematic for me.

And the jeans that I am wearing right now are probably the tightest ones that I have.

natbarmore

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
It's for one, a click generator, and two, it gives the opportunity for 5.5" lovers to re-iterate their desire for a larger phone for the 47th time :D

Am I the only person left in the world who wants a top-of-the-line smartphone that is small enough to use comfortably one-handed? Even with gloves on?

Yes, I’d like a larger screen to look at, but absent TARDIS tech, that is only possible with a larger phone to hold (and pocket). If Apple is going to have two sizes, why not have 1 for people who consider portability/pocketability/handability more important, and 1 for people who consider large screen more important? Instead of 2 models that are both too big for 1-handed use, so they’re just big and bigger?

(I guess I can take a tiny bit of comfort in the fact that these are just rumors, so it might all be bunk.)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If they are actually going to do an NFC antenna, I suspect it would be on the battery just like other manufacturers (small read here). However, a metal casing would interfere with the field and prevent that from working well. Similarly, the touchscreen electrical elements prevent the screen from being a simple glass transparent window.

Putting it in one of the small RF transparent windows at the top of bottom would also be problematic because it would impose a smaller size, making it much more difficult to get enough current induced.

Perhaps they could find some way to include the body of the phone, but skin contact would modify the electrical properties, also proving problematic. Thus, I'm anxious to see if this rumor is somehow true and how they accomplish it.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
You can't have it both ways either you going to get more screen real estate which does not equal a bigger text. Or you can just make the text bigger on any phone which is counterproductive. Bottom line is the phone does not equal bigger text

You can't have it both ways either you going to get more screen real estate which does not equal a bigger text. Or you can just make the text bigger on any phone which is counterproductive. Bottom line is the phone does not equal bigger text

But it does! Mrs Tumbleweed has a Sammy 3 with text size dialed up,and because of the larger screen can still geta fair amount on the screen. On an iP5 it would be ridiculous you'd have not much better than a word a line. And Mrs T only has a Sammy 3 since she can't read anything on my iP4s without glasses unless I dialled text size up to laughable levels. If there was an iphone same screen size as S3 she'd have bought one if those.

And what's the issue about having large text size? If it makes it more readable how on earth is that "counterproductive"? You might as well argue there is no point in the iBooks app letting you adjust text size presumably that would also be counterproductive.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
How can you say Apple making a 5.5" phone is wrong? Wrong for who? Not for Apple or the people willing to buy it. It's not for everyone just like 4" or iPhone 5C isn't for everyone either. So who is left besides one guy on the internet saying that Apple is making a mistake? Guess who that guy is.

How can you say Apple making a 5.5" phone is wrong?
Because it is. Apple got it right with the iPad. They didn't make a netbook, they made a good product to beat the netbooks. But Apple is not making a product to better the over sized phones. They are just blindly entering the market. Sure it'll make Apple lots of money. If profits are all you care about then sure it's a good move. But past that it's not a good sign. I'd rather see Apple make products with more thought. Just like in the netbook scenario, I'm waiting to see if Apple can make a product to better the oversized phones. But that is looking like it won't happen.

Just explaining myself so you realise how Apple is wrong in this, even it won't affect their bottom line at all.

Seriously, how can it be "wrong"?
Read my comment above in this post.

----------

to put it simply, yes...

Especially if you are 6'6" like me. The current iPhone is simply too small to be used.

And if you have small or average sized hands the oversized phones are too large to use with one hand. And they are certainly too large for all of the pockets I have. I know, I've used a few friends samsung phones and tried them in my pockets.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Another curiosity - it appears either the A8 has fewer die pads than A7, they decreased the pad pitch, or both. The resolution makes it very difficult to tell if the pitch has become finer, but I can't rule it out either.

(A7 pads pasted above and to the right of A8).

msGKI5x.png

One possible conclusion is that they moved more functionality on-die, reducing the necessary pads to interface with external circuitry. It's also possible that they just consolidated pins to be more useful or outright eliminated interfaces that are handled completely externally now. It seems very clear that this is a new part though, no question.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Again I ask: Is this (scratched Gorilla glass) a big problem? I'm on here (much) too much and I just don't hardly ever see threads or even comments within threads about scratched glass. Sure, it happens but it seems like it's not very common… perhaps even what would be called rare.

I do not disagree.

Like you, I'm simply trying to figure out a way to justify the use of sapphire... if indeed it does get used on the phones.

If they are actually going to do an NFC antenna, I suspect it would be on the battery just like other manufacturers (small read here).

However, a metal casing would interfere with the field and prevent that from working well.

According to ArsTechnica, the HTC One has its NFC antenna laid out inside its metal back around its video camera opening. Apparently that's good enough for NFC to work.

(NFC antennas are not really radio antennas. They're magnetic inductors.)

Since Apple seems to be using something similar to HTC's technology (*) for metal antenna cell phone cases, they could do the same with their NFC antenna.

(*)Apple and HTC have a patent cross license.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
(NFC antennas are not really radio antennas. They're magnetic inductors.)

Since Apple seems to be using something similar to HTC's technology (*) for metal antenna cell phone cases, they could do the same with their NFC antenna.

(*)Apple and HTC have a patent cross license.

You linked the same content I did without noticing :)

I did not know about the HTC One, though. Granted, it has a much larger lens than previous iPhones. Though it could have something to do with the pill shaped flash changing, or that could be completely incidental. In any case, definitely seems feasible given that knowledge.

edit: checked the One teardown. You can see the "antenna" module on the left.

XRZGQ5ZNTaXJP1b6.huge

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
If they are actually going to do an NFC antenna, I suspect it would be on the battery just like other manufacturers (small read here). However, a metal casing would interfere with the field and prevent that from working well. Similarly, the touchscreen electrical elements prevent the screen from being a simple glass transparent window.

Putting it in one of the small RF transparent windows at the top of bottom would also be problematic because it would impose a smaller size, making it much more difficult to get enough current induced.
How about where the apple cut out is? Maybe that's why it's there ?!
You read it here first :cool:

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
How can you say Apple making a 5.5" phone is wrong?
Because it is. Apple got it right with the iPad. They didn't make a netbook, they made a good product to beat the netbooks. But Apple is not making a product to better the over sized phones. They are just blindly entering the market. Sure it'll make Apple lots of money. If profits are all you care about then sure it's a good move. But past that it's not a good sign. I'd rather see Apple make products with more thought. Just like in the netbook scenario, I'm waiting to see if Apple can make a product to better the oversized phones. But that is looking like it won't happen.

As a shareholder, I'm fine with Apple selling something that people want and makes oodles of money :D

I dont know why you think they are "blindly" entering the market either. That just appears to be code for "I don't like it". What's blind about it? They are arguably two years late. Certainly one with the 4.7 for sure.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
What did you use before 2007? This one?

Nope. I had a Blackberry that was provided by work and a personal dumbphone. Typing on the blackberry was terrible with my gargantuan hands, but it was a necessary evil. My first personal smartphone was the Droid DNA and now I am using a Lumia Icon. I will likely switch to the 5.5" iPhone once it becomes available and immediately install a Swype-style keyboard. Those keyboards are a godsend for people with big hands/fingers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.