Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
No. I am saying Apple making a 5.5 inch phone is wrong.

"wrong" ? In what respect?

Do you mean, in terms of having too many models so its too expensive to carry that stock?
Or that you think they look stupid and wish to forbid people to use them (a quixotic task since if people cant have an Apple one they can get an Android)
Or that you dont want one and therefore no one else should have one?
Or something else?

Seriously, how can it be "wrong"?

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I wasn't one of those Mini doubters. The mini had TONS of leaked parts. We haven't had TONS of leaked parts for a 5.5" phone. As a matter of fact... we have had none except for this logic board... and this part could be for anything... like I said... an iPad Mini or a redesigned Apple TV.

Seeing just 4.7 parts now would make sense if 5.5 production is a month behind the 4.7 production, as some analysts have said will happen. And now, we see the (alleged) first significant 5.5 part, which suggests more will start coming forth as 5.5 reaches production. Plus, its also assumed a lot more 4.7s will be produced, at least initially, so leaks of parts for the 5.5 will be less numerous.

So, nothing unusual here, nor is there anything to suggest the 5.5 isn't a reality. But the biggest factor is Apple. Phablets are becoming popular (5 percent last year is now 10 percent this year, and climbing) and no way is Apple going to let Samsung or LG get that market to themselves, any more than Apple was going to let Samsung own the 8 inch tablet market two years ago (hence, the Mini). Steve Jobs might not have cared to match other companies tit for tat, but the "new" Apple does.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Well, I would upgrade the screen to 1920 x 1080. That is standard full HD, which is a universal standard size which would make using a lot of media products easier. At least for now, until 4K becomes mainstream.

4K on a Phone or Phablet is well beyond overkill. The average person or even print shop doesn't scan photographs at those dot/pixel densities, or even really print them. You really need a screen that is better than a 600 dpi photo?

The higher you push the resolution the larger the image assets have to be to not look like blurry crap or super undersized, which eats file space. That or switch over to all Vector graphics for the majorty and put that load on the GPU/CPU to render everything, which will eat performance and battery power (a point of contention already).

You hit a point of demising return in noticeable quality. Portable devices are not TVs, projectors, or large screen monitors. They don't need that high a resolution, unless you perpetually operate your devices with your nose mashed against the screen.

Will handhelds be powerful enough to drive output to 4K screens eventually, sure. Do they need to operate in a 4K mode constantly or have built-in displays actually run that resolution? Defiantly not.

I'd rather see those resources put to better uses.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Yawn, we get it new iPhones coming soon in different sizes.

Why don't we have every screw photographed (blurry please) and make a news feature out of it?

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
iPad?

I haven't read all of the comments, but how do we know that the larger logic board isn't for an unreleased iPad Mini?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
And still the same terrible battery

Yes, but that helps deliver the all-important "thinner" or "thinnest ever" spin in the marketing speech at the rollout. You know we all need a thinner iPhone. Have you not been reading the countless threads griping about the onerous thickness of the iPhone 5?

The battery is the biggest part. Maybe for the iPhone 7, Apple will finally take it out altogether so that they can achieve an even thinner and lighter iPhone. Sure it won't work without hooking it up to some other power pack but WOW(!), will it be thin.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I predict that 5.5" sales will pale in comparison to 5c sales. It's just too big for the masses. If 'big' is needed, wait for next years iPad or iPad Mini with built-in telecommunications .

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I keep trying to figure out why we care about Sapphire? It's an invisible benefit- we won't be able to tell if it's glass or sapphire. Sure sapphire is more scratch resistant but if I had a nickel for every post I've ever read here griping about how easy all prior iPhone's glass scratched, I'd have enough for a McD dipped cone… maybe 2.

I think people believe that greater scratch resistance = greater shatter resistance… and it doesn't. What it does mean is that when it shatters, a sapphire replacement part will probably cost a lot more than a replacement part made of glass.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
So what you're saying is, only dumb people want 5.5" phones?
I really have a hard time understanding all the hate towards a bigger device. I can understand if you don't prefer it and leave it at that, but it's like some people are losing their minds about it.
Makes no sense.

No, it's because you want a big phone that may suit your specific needs. :p Some people probably lost their heads when Apple offered the MacBook Air. If it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it. ;)

I'm happy that they're offering a 5.5. I like having options. I'll see what's more comfortable/enjoyable for me to use and make my choice accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I predict that 5.5" sales will pale in comparison to 5c sales. It's just too big for the masses. If 'big' is needed, wait for next years iPad or iPad Mini with built-in telecommunications .

I predict the opposite. Not only will this entire crowd jump all over BOTH bigger iPhones but many who went to Android because they wanted a bigger screen will now have a very enticing reason to switch back to iOS. That latter segment in particular will likely be somewhat addicted to the added space and heavily favor the 5.5" over the 4.7".

And "big" in terms of 5.5" vs. 7.9" is entirely different than 5.5" vs. 4.7". Lots of people are saying they'll choose 4.7" but many are the same people who previously made fun of every size above 3.5" and then 4" when those were Apple's officially endorsed "perfect" sizes. Now Apple will roll out 2 new "perfect" sizes- much like iPad Mini and iPad Air- triggering a 1,000 "which one should I get?" threads.

In the end though- when people can actually see them side-by-side, I suspect the current weighting which feels about 70:30 will shift toward 50:50 or maybe even lean a bit to the 5.5". Doubts? Go to any store with Androids at 4.7" and 5.5" and try them out. Eight-tenths of an inch DIAGONAL is not a lot of difference. Even those 6" Androids are easily pocketable.

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
No, it's because you want a big phone that may suit your specific needs. :p Some people probably lost their heads when Apple offered the MacBook Air. If it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it. ;)

I'm happy that they're offering a 5.5. I like having options. I'll see what's more comfortable/enjoyable for me to use and make my choice accordingly.

Hey now, get out of here with that rational thinking... It isn't welcome on these forums... You MUST either bash apple as being stupid or praise them as being infallible. ;)

----------

Even those 6" Androids are easily pocketable.

Have you tried to pocket a 6" phone personally? I Feel like that really may not be very comfortable when sitting and wearing anything other than cargo pants... I haven't tried though so I am not sure. I also think the 5.5" will be my next iPhone but the bezel on top and bottom of the phone (if the mockups are close to accurate) will make it even bigger than say the Galaxy Note 3 which has a 5.7" display... I hope Apple can reduce at least the top bezel.

Last edited by a moderator:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Wait until you dont have such good close up eyesite in say 20 or 30 years time, then ask again :eek:

You can't have it both ways either you going to get more screen real estate which does not equal a bigger text. Or you can just make the text bigger on any phone which is counterproductive. Bottom line is the phone does not equal bigger text

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
As a matter of fact... we have had none except for this logic board... and this part could be for anything... like I said... an iPad Mini or a redesigned Apple TV.
The Apple TV is 98 mm x 98 mm, the longer board is 98.7 mm, and the shorter board is 95.5 mm so if it is for an Apple TV, then a redesign may have to increase the length or width of the device.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Kid: "I want an iPhone AND an iPad mini for my birthday this year."

Dad: "No way. You'll get a 5.5 iPhone and like it! Now take out the garbage."

I keep trying to figure out why we care about Sapphire?

IF sapphire gets used on the phones, then I think it's partly to help with reselling trade-in phones to third world markets at a lower price.

Replacement cases for scratched up refurbs are relatively cheap. Replacing the display glass is not. Sapphire makes it easier to resell more used devices at greater profit.

That said, I'm not yet convinced it's meant for phones. The sample bend test we saw makes me think the phones are still using Gorilla Glass, and the sapphire is slated for something we cannot conceive of yet. Or at least, I hope so! Time for someone to start going through GTAT's Arizona factory trash to see if any samples are being thrown out :)

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?

But Android offers you lots of things you could not even dream on iOS... Including bigger screen... Actually larger screen alone is enough for me to switch.. Ever since switch to Nexus 4, I will never even looking into iPhone until the rumoured large screen iPhone.

Oh, until iOS 8 and 3rd party keyboard available, I will stay with Android...

----------

There's an iPad Mini for that :)

But iPad mini is not really pocketable... I would not want check email or reading some website on a go with iPad mini all the time. I would want my phone to do it... And larger screen means better experience...

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
There is no 5.5" iPhone. This could be an iPad Mini part. Could be a redesigned Apple TV part. Apple hasn't updated Apple TV in a while and could want to catch up to Amazon Fire TV in features.

I'm going to quote this after the September keynote. :p

Those logic boards are meant for the phone. Why would an Apple TV have space for a LTE modem and sim card slot ;)

That is not to say I disagree that Apple will update the Apple TV. Although, I've been thinking it was due for an update for the past 2 years :eek: I'm hoping that the finally come through with a it this year.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Have you tried to pocket a 6" phone personally?

Yes, have you? Obviously not...

I Feel like that really may not be very comfortable when sitting and wearing anything other than cargo pants…

No, they fit just fine in non-Cargos. Go to a high school game and pay attention. Little teenage kids in teenage fashions seem to have no trouble pocketing big-screened Android phones. This "obstacle" is invented, likely by those who "feel" but...

I haven't tried though so I am not sure.

So go try. It's easy to imagine eight-tenths of 1 inch DIAGONAL as being a huge behemoth that "requires new pants with bigger pockets" but it's not that big of a difference. Go to a store that sells phones not branded with a fruit and you can see screen sizes up to 6" today. See if they'll fit non-cargo pants, etc. It's easy.

My thinking on this 5.5" vs. 4.7" thing is simple. Those who use an iPhone mostly for non-phone functions (browser, email, reading, texting, games, etc) are probably going to have the 5.5" "kind of grow on me" when they can see both (after Apple officially endorses both as the new "perfect" sizeS). Those who are absolutely committed to one-hand use or are relatively small people or who use an iPhone much more as a phone than as an "everything" device (probably also owning an iPad for bigger screen wants or needs) will probably favor the 4.7".

Personally, I don't even know why "we" care so much about it as long as Apple rolls out both sizes. With both, the 4.7"-or-bust crowd gets what they want and the 5.5"-or-bust crowd gets what they want too. The existence of the other size "we" don't want for ourselves doesn't harm us- just let's more people join our party. For those that are more stockholders or imaginary employees/management, both are better for Apple too as they can sell phones that bite into the whole, bigger-screen smart phone market instead of just about half of it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.