Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?

The customization of Android plus the app availability was also a bonus for me. It's like having a jailbroken iPhone with a larger screen. I'm a Note 3 user so I wouldn't necessarily say "slightly bigger". Plus my Note 3 functions fine with my iPad and Macbook Pro with some slight workarounds. I like both Mobile OS's to be honest, but once I got used to Android and the larger screen I realized there was no going back until Apple was able to accommodate. It looks like now they are willing to accommodate and I'll happily switch back if they do. :cool:

Renzatic

Suspended
I imagine that by the time 4K becomes "standard", devices will have no more issues, performance or battery-wise, powering them than devices today have powering 1080p.

And never say never. Remember Bill Gates' infamous quote (which he may not have actually said) about 640K memory?

Unlike memory, which will always be necessary the more complex computers become, there is a point of greatly diminished returns with resolution.

Unless the human eye improves itself over the next couple of years, or we need displays that can give you such granular levels of detail that you can take a magnifying glass to one to pick out little odds and ends, extra pixels are just wasted after a certain threshold is reached.

To paraphrase Bill Gate's misquote, 350-400 PPI is the absolute max the consumer market will ever have a need for.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
No you're an idiot because you want a big phone that may suit your specific needs. :p Some people probably lost their heads when Apple offered the MacBook Air. If it doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it. ;)

I'm happy that they're offering a 5.5. I like having options. I'll see what's more comfortable/enjoyable for me to use and make my choice accordingly.

Some don't want a larger phone, like the 5.5, and they don't want anyone else to have one. The feel since they will get a 4.7 they will no longer have the top phone (their mind) and it just eats at them. In reality choice is good and the size difference should be looked at like it as it is....a size difference.

Choices are always good in my book.

----------

There's an iPad Mini for that :)

You can make calls now in an ipad mini? I wasn't aware. If the phone part doesn't matter then why can't tiny lovers use an ipod nano?

----------

What did you use before 2007? This one?

Before 2007 they were not touch screen computers like now.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
It's neat to see unreleased electronics that will be in the landfill in less than 5 years from now!

from the ashes

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I don't understand how anyone could switch from iOS just to get a bigger screen..

Is putting up with the crappy software and lack of integration into the rest of the Apple ecosystem worth it just to get a bigger screen? Is a slightly bigger screen that important to you?

Said someone who ain't used android for at least 3 years , Times have changed my friend.. Theres nothing
Crappy about the high end droid handsets, they are the same price as the latest iPhone so why do u think folk buy them?, out of Some weird anti Apple spite.. Or because they offer a compelling superior mobile phone experience than Apple currently does.. There is nothing unique about iOS, it doesn't have s single standout feature, and coupled with the fact every end person seems to have one.. Its not exactly "think different" anymore now is it?..

----------

Dude, chill and take it with a grain of salt.

----------

Again, chill. Take it with a grain of salt... Etc. etc...

And 6 hours of battery life is terrible so if that's what you're getting I wouldn't be making fun of what I said if I were you...

Its a grain of sand mate, as on the beach.. And a pinch of salt, I.e. between 2 fingers etc.. Nicely mixed up metaphors there.. Have a nice day..

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
if you look closely on the left most part on the bottom photo you see a golden apple logo stenciled into the circuit :cool:

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Still find it difficult apple will have a new variant of their "C" iPhone, and then these two brand new "premium" models weighing in with two larger screen sizes. That's 2-3 brand new models this year.

Me too, unless they position it as an actually cheap iPhone. They can only really do one every other year on S years anyways. Unless they want a 6SC.

I really hope it was a one off though.

Getafe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Is this the beginning of some real iPhone 5.5 inch rumors?

As much as I really want to see a 5.5 inch iPhone, I am still not 100% convinced there will be one. Just hope Apple have some sense to try and please more than one crowd of people.

I don't think Apple will release a "premium" iPhone. Lets face it, Apple do not like making one better than another, at least in mobile devices (iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch). If Apple release a 5.5 inch iPhone, the screen size (and obviously a bigger battery to make up for the bigger screen) will be the only difference between the 5.5 and 4.7. If they don't do that I see some iPhone users walking to Android, as it would be unfair to need the bigger iPhone (that quite a few here have made clear don't want) to get the faster and better "premium free" that Apple will wanna also put into their iPhone 4.7 inch.

So yeah. I really hope that Apple do release this larger iPhone!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Every time I see complaints about battery.. it's almost always because they left apps like Facebook running in the background after using it.. I always close all my apps down.. The FB and other notifications still get through just fine.. don't need to leave the app open.. that just kills battery. :rolleyes:

you're completely mistaken about how iOS works -- you're not accomplishing anything by removing recently-used apps from the list. all non media apps go into a suspended state after a few minutes.

educate yourself on it:

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
As a shareholder, I'm fine with Apple selling something that people want and makes oodles of money :D

I dont know why you think they are "blindly" entering the market either. That just appears to be code for "I don't like it". What's blind about it? They are arguably two years late. Certainly one with the 4.7 for sure.

The shareholders want Apple to make lots of profits. But they should also be wanting Apple to be innovative in the mobile phone space, just like Apple was in the tablet/netbook space. An oversized phone from Apple is not innovation, it's just blinding catering to the market.

I'd rather Apple do something that is better than the oversized phones, just like the iPad was better than the netbooks. This is not code for I don't like oversized phones. It's code for I'm disappointed Apple are making oversized phones and not something better than oversized phones that get the same things done, just done in a better way.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
There's an iPad Mini for that :)

The jump in screen size from the iPhone to iPad mini is quite large. Apple definitely needs something in that gap.

Doesn't mean you need that gap filled but many others, like myself would enjoy it. And it looks like there's a market for that gap.

I don't understand why people make a big deal about size options.

We're not a one size fits all kinda world.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Still find it difficult apple will have a new variant of their "C" iPhone, and then these two brand new "premium" models weighing in with two larger screen sizes. That's 2-3 brand new models this year.

I can see Apple dropping the C model with perhaps it'll just be the 4" 5C updated to A7 with two iPhone 6 models. No other offerings.

That would be like the current lineup (except it's 5s, 5c, and 4s).

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I can see Apple dropping the C model with perhaps it'll just be the 4" 5C updated to A7 with two iPhone 6 models. No other offerings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see three iPhone 6's, plus an iPhone 5 as the "cheap" model that is either free with a contract, or $50. Then they would have a 4", 4.7", and 5.5" of the current model. Something for everyone. :D

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The shareholders want Apple to make lots of profits. But they should also be wanting Apple to be innovative in the mobile phone space, just like Apple was in the tablet/netbook space. An oversized phone from Apple is not innovation, it's just blinding catering to the market.

I'd rather Apple do something that is better than the oversized phones, just like the iPad was better than the netbooks. This is not code for I don't like oversized phones. It's code for I'm disappointed Apple are making oversized phones and not something better than oversized phones that get the same things done, just done in a better way.

That’s an interesting point comparing this situation to the netbook fiasco. Perhaps Apple does have another magical outside the box answer like they gave us with the iPad, and we should just wait for that. But wow what else could give us more screen real estate without the tradeoff of portability and one-handed use? Eye wear? Holographic screens? I think it’s gonna have to be something crazy.

But if they don’t have a magic answer coming soon (either because they haven’t thought of it yet or the technology is too far out of reach or too immature), then that leaves the question of what do they do with the demand until then? What if because of technological limitations the answer is still 5-10 years away? Do they just ignore it, to the detriment of both the Apple customer and their own revenue?

Also while this argument addresses the general desire for more screen real estate on your phone, it doesn’t address the problem of a one sized phone having to accommodate different sized people with different sized hands and pockets. Shouldn’t there at least be somewhat different sized iPhones for their sake? By the way, is your argument also against the 4.7” or just the 5.5”?

*Very off topic to this post, but now is a good time to ask as any— Why do so many people refer to Apple as a plural entity? Eg. “Apple do”, “Apple are”, etc. That sounds so weird. It’s “Apple does”, and “Apple is”, am I right?! I wouldn’t mention this if it was just occasional, but I feel like at least half the comments in Macrumors are doing this.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

I can't see a 4.7" iPhone 6 retailing for $99 though, which it would have to, in order to fill the 5c void (as it obviously wouldn't be inferior to the C model)

Unless you think the 5.5" iPhone 6 will retail for $299? That seems a little crazy ... but I guess people will still buy it.

Me too, unless they position it as an actually cheap iPhone. They can only really do one every other year on S years anyways. Unless they want a 6SC.

I really hope it was a one off though.

Maybe the S cycle is dead? That would mean the 4.7" iPhone 6 this year and the 5.5" model the next.

I do agree it will be confusing to have the 6C this year, and then a 6SC the next?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
More wasted space. Of what value is a photo of circuitry to readers? Of what benefit is it? So, they moved a screw hole and it's complex. It doesn't provide any information on features, benefits, or final visible design, so why waste the bandwidth?

I disagree. We previously have only seen component leaks for the 4.7 inch, which led some to believe that there was no 5.5. Now that we're seeing more and more leaks for the 5.5, it may hint that there is a 5.5 coming for sure.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World

I'm curious, what exactly do you have in mind? People use their smartphones nowadays as pocket computers. Browsing web, watching movies, etc. The other day my wife edited a short movie on her phone. All this goes better using a big(ger) screen.

I tell you what disappoints me, after having seen the mockups: those oversized bezels, which will make the phones comically huge. Certainly bigger, than they have to be. Just for the sake of the home button and a 'pleasant, symmetrical look'. I was hoping that Apple will squeeze the maximize the screen size and still keep the size down and come up with something really innovative, not just blown up iPhone 5 siblings.

newcronos

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009

Also.. you don't like oversized phones :D

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
I really don't understand why some people here are so against various sized iPhones.

After all:

• Apple has been offering iPods in different sizes
  • 2 sized iPads
  • MB Air in 2 sizes
  • MBP in a 13 and a 15 variant
  • iMac in 2 sizes.

What is the problem giving people choices which suits them most? How could one be possibly against that? :confused:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Said someone who ain't used android for at least 3 years , Times have changed my friend.. Theres nothing
Crappy about the high end droid handsets, they are the same price as the latest iPhone so why do u think folk buy them?, out of Some weird anti Apple spite.. Or because they offer a compelling superior mobile phone experience than Apple currently does.. There is nothing unique about iOS, it doesn't have s single standout feature, and coupled with the fact every end person seems to have one.. Its not exactly "think different" anymore now is it?

So why does every end person not have an Android handset?

Pricing handsets the same as an iPhone, doesn't make them an iPhone either.

I think most people buy large screen android handsets simply because of the screen size. You say iOS has nothing unique, but you've missed the simplicity of use if you've got any other Apple devices, in fact, you've just missed the simplicity of iOS.

It's not necessarily what Android can do, it's how it does it and (for me) iOS and it's ease of use wins every single time when it comes to simplicity and ease of use.

It's why some many people have them. People who would never, ever have purchased a tablet computer, one thanks to Apple (even those that have an Android tablet, as Apple bought it to the masses with the hugely popular iPad.

I find android a messy, unintuitive mobile O/S compared to iOS, it may well be able to "do more", but for me, it doesn't do it's core features simply and easily.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

I know it's hard to believe, but there is another world out there besides Apple that works quite well. :eek:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I don't care what people might say about the sheer irrelevance of naked logic boards in comparison to what REALLY matters in the world today. But they get me excited every time ...mmmm ...logic boards. Lying there. Uninstalled. Bare. And...and. I'm sorry. I really have nothing else in my life to think about ...I'm off to compare a few screen sizes, work out (the processor speeds between the A7 and A8) and find a few friends.
Ok. Ok. Relax. Only joking about the last part.
Mmmm .... Logic boards. They're so ...logical ....:p

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I know it's hard to believe, but there is another world out there besides Apple that works quite well. :eek:

You make an interesting point.

I don't want something that works quite well.

I want something that works extremely well, has a fantastic support network and works seamlessly with my other Apple devices (out off the box too-without any tweaking, modifying or workarounds).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.