Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I’ve been continuing to have battery drain issues while in standby in iPadOS for the last couple of versions. Did a second DFU restore this morning on my 11” iPad Pro and did not restore from any backups this time—just reinstalled everything manually. By this evening it was back to the same old issues. Went from 98% to 95% in about 2.5 hours of standby. I’ll give it a couple of days on the new install and see if things calm down, but I’m not optimistic. If it’s a rogue app doing it, I have no way of knowing because nothing is showing as running in the background when I’m not using it.

Reactions: badatusernames

viracocha

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Spain
Since iOS 13.3, battery drain (no previous battery problems before)
Even I wiped iPhones with no luck.
So, iOS 13.3 drains my battery :-(

Same for my watch, since Watch OS 6.1.1

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
No issues with battery drain and iOS 13
iPhone 11 Pro Max
I’m not having any issues on the 11 Pro Max or my Apple Watch Series 4 LTE. Just the 11” iPad Pro. Still kind of waiting to see what happens after my DFU reinstall though. It only lost 5% overnight last night—went from 60% to 55% in about 7.5 hours. That’s actually an improvement over what it was doing before. I’ll have to see what happens over the next couple of days after the OS settles down.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I’m not having any issues on the 11 Pro Max or my Apple Watch Series 4 LTE. Just the 11” iPad Pro. Still kind of waiting to see what happens after my DFU reinstall though. It only lost 5% overnight last night—went from 60% to 55% in about 7.5 hours. That’s actually an improvement over what it was doing before. I’ll have to see what happens over the next couple of days after the OS settles down.
I know it is a PIA but you should try to restore it and leave overnight without any app installed, to check if anything is causing the drain.
After that, install apps one by one to check which one is causing the problem.

I have absolutely no battery drain on my iPad Pro 11” ??‍♂️

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

How many cycles does your iPad have? If it is > 200, very likely it is just ageing. What’s the health as per Coconut?

viracocha

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Spain
iPhone X owners. How’s battery on 13.3 compared to 13.2? Any improvements at all?

Since iOS 13.3, battery drain in my iPhone X.
Before that, never had battery drain.
I wipped as new device (no restoring) and still battery drain.
Battery health is 92%.

viracocha

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Spain
iPhone X. I don’t notice poor battery while using the phone. Just poor battery life when it’s on standby. However, my battery issue seem to be related to HomeKit with my Philips Hue bridge.
[automerge]1576097904[/automerge]

Are you experiencing battery drain during standby?

Why do you think battery issue is related to Homekit and Philips Hue bridge? (I have Philips Hue bridge too).

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
I don’t seem to have any battery life problems on iOS 13 on my iPhone XR or iPadOS on my first generation iPad Pro 9.7.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
How many cycles does your iPad have? If it is > 200, very likely it is just ageing. What’s the health as per Coconut?
I’m not sure, but it’s only a year old. I’m sure age has a little bit to do with it, but my DFU restore on Sunday morning seems to have helped quite a bit. 3 nights in a row now it has drained 5% or less in standby and is draining at a normal rate in use as well. I did NOT restore from backup after the DFU restore, but DID reinstall all my apps.

Remix26

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2015
Huge battery drain on my iPad Pro 12.9 2018. Streaming video on any app will kill it in just under 5 hours. I’ve done a settings reset and restore and still nada.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Astonishing drain with 13.2 and 13.3 on my trusty old 6s+, one year old battery at 99% health... feels like iOS 11 all over again. Everything was fine until 13.2, the battery pig began eating my battery immediately upon update to 13.2

like from 100% to 20% in ONE HOUR on standby with NOTHING running.

sigh

Reactions: badatusernames

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
I wonder what apps people have running to kill the battery like that, my iPhone XR and my first generation iPad Pro 9.7 have awesome battery life.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've developed a bit of a theory with my 11" Pro--I think this is a problem carrying over from (roughly) 13.2.2, when the multitasking issues started, all the way up through 13.3. This is JUST a theory based on what I'm seeing--I don't have any technical information or proof to back it up:

Let's say I charge up my iPad to 100% and use it for 2 or 3 hours. Let's also say that after that 2 or 3 hours of use, I'm down to about 85%. I put the iPad down for the night, and it sits on my desk in standby for about 8 hours. Typically, after that much overnight standby time, it will be down to 80 or 81%. So a loss of 4 or 5% overnight just sitting there doing nothing.

HOWEVER

Now I've opened the cover and "woken up" the iPad when I checked the battery level in the morning. 2 more hours later, after I've gotten ready for the day, gotten the kids to school, started my work day, etc., I open the cover and it's drained another 2 or 3% just in that 2 hours since I woke it up after a long standby. This has been the case 2 or 3 days in a row now after my DFU restore.

SO

My theory is that the last couple of versions are not truly going to sleep right when you close the cover, hit the lock button, etc. They're staying active for at least another couple of hours, hence draining the battery a little more in standby after you were using the iPad. The OS eventually does truly go to sleep, which is why I only lose about 5% overnight, but could lose more than that in total on a consistent basis during the day as I'm waking/locking/waking/locking the iPad.

If my theory is correct, and assuming this is something that gets fixed eventually, that would account for the extra overnight drain I'm seeing. I'm guessing it would reduce my overnight standby drain to more like 2-3% which is much closer to the normal amount that I've seen on iPad Pro.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
I have a 6s that has been showing crazy power drainage since iOS 13 was released. Last night, I rebooted the phone when it was at 10% and after powering it on, showed it was at 48%. (Can't remember exactly) This morning was down to 58% -- rebooted and it displayed 74%. (And less than the time to compose this post.. it went from 72% to 62%.) Wondering if the percentage display is even accurate or just freaking us out with an inaccurate percentage display. The battery on the 6s was just replaced last year with an aftermarket battery.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have a 6s that has been showing crazy power drainage since iOS 13 was released. Last night, I rebooted the phone when it was at 10% and after powering it on, showed it was at 48%. (Can't remember exactly) This morning was down to 58% -- rebooted and it displayed 74%. (And less than the time to compose this post.. it went from 72% to 62%.) Wondering if the percentage display is even accurate or just freaking us out with an inaccurate percentage display. The battery on the 6s was just replaced last year with an aftermarket battery.
This is also entirely possible, and something I have considered, but I don't get the same result when I hard reboot my iPad.

Reactions: Chung123

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
This is also entirely possible, and something I have considered, but I don't get the same result when I hard reboot my iPad.

Also possible that Apple is deliberately not playing nice with third party batteries here. They love giving us "angst" - fear of not having enough juice for emergencies. I just did a restore for the heck of it and set up the phone as new and installed apps as needed. Let's see if it will fix the wonkiness.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Also possible that Apple is deliberately not playing nice with third party batteries here. They love giving us "angst" - fear of not having enough juice for emergencies. I just did a restore for the heck of it and set up the phone as new and installed apps as needed. Let's see if it will fix the wonkiness.
Ah yes--that's possible too, and would explain why I'm not seeing it on my device.

I have tried three restores so far on my iPad Pro:
1) Just standard reset all content and settings and install everything fresh.
2) DFU restore, then restore from the backup of the fairly new restore from above.
3) DFU restore, no restore from backup, everything set up and installed fresh.

Option 3 has been the most effective so far, and I haven't seen any dramatic spikes that fall outside of my theory of what's going on. Since this doesn't seem to be super widespread for all iPad users, this could be unique to the 11" Pro, or maybe just my particular configuration of it. Who knows.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
Ah yes--that's possible too, and would explain why I'm not seeing it on my device.

3) DFU restore, no restore from backup, everything set up and installed fresh.

Option 3 has been the most effective so far, and I haven't seen any dramatic spikes that fall outside of my theory of what's going on. Since this doesn't seem to be super widespread for all iPad users, this could be unique to the 11" Pro, or maybe just my particular configuration of it. Who knows.

So far, the fresh install-restore from iTunes is looking great. (Painful to reenter passwords for all the apps and accounts, but glad to have a Mac in front of me to access the 1Password)

Definitely good to get rid of all the old settings and preferences, garbage built up over the years. So far, the iPhone 6s is behaving like pre-iOS 13. Woo-hoo!

Update: NOPE. Issue still happening. :(

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
So far, the fresh install-restore from iTunes is looking great. (Painful to reenter passwords for all the apps and accounts, but glad to have a Mac in front of me to access the 1Password)

Definitely good to get rid of all the old settings and preferences, garbage built up over the years. So far, the iPhone 6s is behaving like pre-iOS 13. Woo-hoo!

Update: NOPE. Issue still happening. :(
Yep, nothing I've done has REALLY worked long term. 10% battery loss in 4 hours on standby is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. Even my iPhone doesn't do that with all the radios firing at all times.

viracocha

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Spain
My case.
iPhone X and Watch series 4 LTE
Neved had battery problem.
Upgrading to iOS 13.3 and watchOS 6.1.1 all devices with battery drain. Watch series 4 was the worst.

Y wipped as new devices both devices (I wipped watch from iPhone, unpairing it). But problem still present.
So I wipped Watch again, but this time I did it from iPhone, but with "erase all" option (not unpairing).
And now problem solved IN BOTH DEVICES.

Hope this information could help someone.

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
So this is odd: My standby battery drain has suddenly gone back to normal for the last day and a half or so. For example, yesterday after work at about 5 pm it was at 89% and when I picked it back up at about 9 pm it was still 89%. During that same time frame the day before that it randomly dropped 10%.

I then used it from 9 to midnight for some web browsing, Twittering, and HBO watching, and put it back down at 70%. Didn’t kill any apps or hard reboot first or anything like that. Just put it on my desk and went to bed. Between midnight and 6 am it only went down to 67%. This is much more like what I would call typical for iPad Pro.

So now I’m thinking either a rogue app that somehow wasn’t reporting in battery settings finally updated and stopped malfunctioning, or I have just been doing a magic combination of things on my iPad that haven’t caused the issue lately.

I suppose it’s also possible that it has just taken this long for my DFU restore on Sunday to settle in and normalize. Whatever the reason, I’m cautiously excited and I hope it continues.

EDIT: Almost forgot—2 nights ago i used it until the battery completely died. Could be that helped calibrate the battery better since the DFU restore as well.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
So this is odd: My standby battery drain has suddenly gone back to normal for the last day and a half or so. For example, yesterday after work at about 5 pm it was at 89% and when I picked it back up at about 9 pm it was still 89%. During that same time frame the day before that it randomly dropped 10%.

I then used it from 9 to midnight for some web browsing, Twittering, and HBO watching, and put it back down at 70%. Didn’t kill any apps or hard reboot first or anything like that. Just put it on my desk and went to bed. Between midnight and 6 am it only went down to 67%. This is much more like what I would call typical for iPad Pro.

So now I’m thinking either a rogue app that somehow wasn’t reporting in battery settings finally updated and stopped malfunctioning, or I have just been doing a magic combination of things on my iPad that haven’t caused the issue lately.

I suppose it’s also possible that it has just taken this long for my DFU restore on Sunday to settle in and normalize. Whatever the reason, I’m cautiously excited and I hope it continues.

EDIT: Almost forgot—2 nights ago i used it until the battery completely died. Could be that helped calibrate the battery better since the DFU restore as well.

I suspect it has something todo with cloud sync. Probably iCloud or any other cloud. They fixed sync issue and therefore stop retrying the sync proces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.