Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Updated iPhone X to 13.3.1 left it 100% charged over night. Woke up with dead phone, completely drained.
Something fishy with new update
It’s so strange , for me my x has never been better battery wise , used it loads this morning and it’s only dropped 4% even leaving it , doesn’t drain.
This happened before where it fixed itself and then came back when Apple released another update . But in this version it’s fixed again. I don’t have Siri on etc perhaps that a contributing factor

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I'm with my iPhone 11 Pro on the new 13.3.1. and the battery drain startet again. Leaving the phone as it is, not using any apps, loosing about 10% each hour.

I'm really getting sick of all this iOS nonsense. They screwed up, whatever Tim tries to tell how "Amazing" it is.

My feelings exactly. This only started on iOS 13 and I noticed it on late versions of iOS 12.

Pimmp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2018
Charged the iPhone X again to 100%, after 5 non use it was down to 20%.
Battery states Siri is using 58% for some strange reason. Also iPad 11 Pro starting to drain fast.
GET YOUR **** TOGETHER Apple, I´m sick and tired of the iOS 13 nonsens

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life after one day on my iPad Mini 5 or iPhone 7+. I will check the status tomorrow morning to see if there's any change but so far, so good. I was a bit surprised as I was expecting a day or two of bad battery life due to indexing.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Reading these posts make me never want to update to the latest iOS in fear. I'm still on 13.2.2 but I feel like 13.1 had the best battery life.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Updated iPhone X to 13.3.1 left it 100% charged over night. Woke up with dead phone, completely drained.
Something fishy with new update
Same, iOS 13.3.1 drains my iphone and my watch 2-3 times faster than before

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
people who have bad drain , do you have Siri on. This is by far the best my x has been since I’ve got it, I don’t have Siri on, i did read someone who had it on had huge drain. at the moment my phone is on 12% normally I’d have to charge it by lunch ... my iPad Pro 11 is also a lot better too

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Reading these posts make me never want to update to the latest iOS in fear. I'm still on 13.2.2 but I feel like 13.1 had the best battery life.
Agree, 13.1.3 seems the best battery life. But 13.3.1 seems return 13.1.3 battery life with some other fixes. My iPad has been very stable in 13.3.1. Sometime, in 13.2 ipad get warm on some apps, but not in this version.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Agree, 13.1.3 seems the best battery life. But 13.3.1 seems return 13.1.3 battery life with some other fixes. My iPad has been very stable in 13.3.1. Sometime, in 13.2 ipad get warm on some apps, but not in this version.

Great to hear that its as good as 13.1.3. In that case, I think I will update tonight. ?

Reactions: Isamilis

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Same, iOS 13.3.1 drains my iphone and my watch 2-3 times faster than before

Watch Series 5 cannot survive a day without recharge after the update. I’m loosing 5-6 percent per hour on idle.
iPhone 11 PRO 0-10 percent at the end of the day, it was 35-40 before the update. 1500$ phone+800$ watch and such a bad performance.
I really doubt I go with Apple in 2020.

Last edited:

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Watch Series 5 cannot survive a day without recharge after the update. I’m loosing 5-6 percent per hour on idle.
iPhone 11 PRO 0-10 percent at the end of the day, it was 35-40 before the update. 1500$ phone+800$ watch and such a bad performance.
I really doubt I go with Apple in 2020.
This certainly doesn’t reflect my experience with the Series 4 and 11 Pro. The battery life hasn’t degraded in anyway from the 13.3 but there’s a definite room for improvement in a few areas.

Pimmp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2018
people who have bad drain , do you have Siri on. This is by far the best my x has been since I’ve got it, I don’t have Siri on, i did read someone who had it on had huge drain. at the moment my phone is on 12% normally I’d have to charge it by lunch ... my iPad Pro 11 is also a lot better too
Turned off Siri, now battery time back to normal. Siri used 58% on my iPhone x and 100%!!!!!! On my iPad pro

FlorianSchneider

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
After the upgrade to 13.3.1, the battery life of my iPhone 11 Pro was normal again - at lest for a few days. Suddenly, I'm now there again, where I was before. As you can see on the screenshot, it started to consume just like that.

IMG_8167.PNG

This is now going on for more than a week. I've disabled the iCloud sync of my address book, but it did not change anything.

I've noticed then, that Siri showed up in the battery usage, even I'm not using Siri at all. I've enabled then the iCloud sync of the address book again and disabled all the Siri setting: Siri iCloud sync, all Siri settings including all the applications and dictation. But this did not change anything. Battery usage did not got any better and interestingly, Siri is still showing up in the battery usage. Rebooting the phone did help.

I am now really running out of ideas. When I called Apple two months ago, they suggested me to factory reset my phone and not to restore from any backup. Just login into my iCloud account.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
After the upgrade to 13.3.1, the battery life of my iPhone 11 Pro was normal again - at lest for a few days. Suddenly, I'm now there again, where I was before. As you can see on the screenshot, it started to consume just like that.

This is now going on for more than a week. I've disabled the iCloud sync of my address book, but it did not change anything.

I've noticed then, that Siri showed up in the battery usage, even I'm not using Siri at all. I've enabled then the iCloud sync of the address book again and disabled all the Siri setting: Siri iCloud sync, all Siri settings including all the applications and dictation. But this did not change anything. Battery usage did not got any better and interestingly, Siri is still showing up in the battery usage. Rebooting the phone did help.

I am now really running out of ideas. When I called Apple two months ago, they suggested me to factory reset my phone and not to restore from any backup. Just login into my iCloud account.

Yeah, same thing here..

Yesterday, while my SE was charging, I disabled Siri, dictation and Siri in iCloud Settings, performed a hard reset and then, unplugged it .. These are the results.. All seems promising in the first hours, but then, in the following days, the downhill returns..

SE 13.3.1 Battery Usage 2020-02-05.png

This is my last attempt.. If this does not work, I'll just move on and bring a power bank with me everywhere I go.. It's annoying, frustrating, but it's not worth my time anymore..

JupoDupo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2017
Turning off hey Siri seems to have helped me a lot but it’s still early days as I only made the change 3 days ago.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Anyone with an older model? Hopping my 6S sees improvement! Want to hold out for the 5.4” this fall

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I continued having severe battery drain on my 11" iPad Pro (2018) for the last several months all the way up through the most recent update and finally contacted Apple support and decided to send it in. It was getting to where it was draining 1% an hour in standby, so in a 24 hour period in standby it would lose a quarter of its total charge. I had tried everything I knew how to do to get it to stop and I just couldn't figure it out.

I have no idea what Apple found was wrong with it because they didn't call or email me to tell me anything--they just sent me a replacement iPad Pro. I sent my malfunctioning one in on Thursday of last week and got my replacement this afternoon--pretty quick turnaround considering that they are probably getting a lot of these that would usually go to an Apple Store.

2 frustrating things to note here:

1) I had this exact same thing happen to me with my 10.5" iPad Pro with the exact same result. Apple ran a diagnostic and just gave me a new one even though it was out of warranty. I wonder if stuff just goes wrong with these batteries and they don't want to admit it.

2) I realize we're in unprecedented times and things are tough for everyone right now, but I was amazed by the poor customer service I got on this particular repair with my 11" model. I had to agree to allow them to put a hold on my credit card--fair enough--this was a WAY out of warranty repair. But that's when the trouble started.

One night I realized by checking the Apple support site that they had "finished" my repair and a replacement unit was being sent out the next morning. I called to ask what was going on because I never got a call or email saying what they were going to do and if I was indeed going to be charged for any service. Nobody could tell me what was actually done, what service fee there would be, etc. A couple of people even told me I was being charged the entire amount of the hold that was put on my card, which sent me into a panic because I did not agree to that and was never asked.

I talked to 5 different support reps. Each of them gave me a different story. Not one of them could tell me what the repair center did with my original iPad Pro and if I was going to be charged a service fee of any kind for the replacement.

In the end, my card was never charged, but if it does end up being charged I'm supposed to contact the senior advisor I worked with for a full refund--she agreed I should have been notified if they were charging me any amount of money. It was just frustrating that I was not kept in the loop and that Apple's own support reps didn't know what Apple's own repair people were doing.

I usually have really good experiences with Apple support whether it's on the phone or in person. This was not good. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt since they're probably super swamped and tired. But cripes.

goudok

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Reviving this from the dead.
I have iphone xs max and work 8 and a new ipad air. My wife has a x.
So long story I started noticing terribly battery during the lockdown and even went as far as getting my credit company to honor the extended warranty service, however I need to go to an actual store to get a form signed and all the stores were closed I never bothered sending it in since I needed a phone. Once the restrictions were lifted I quickly came to realization that it only happens at home and only on my wifi not anyone else's.
So I started playing with wifi settings and nothing seemed to work. I got to the point where I actually started disconnecting from wifi when going to sleep.
Now this is where it gets rather interesting. I have a work iphone 8 that is no on my icloud account as I was not allowed signing into personal icloud. And that phone drains about 2% overnight where mine is about 20%. My wife was always under the impression that hers is fine since she charges overnight, but we tested it and it is also not fine it goes down by about 20-25 over night. Ipad is slightly less noticeable but still way too much drain overnight.
I finally had enough of this in the last few weeks and decided to figure this issue out. Bought a brand new xr last week to do testing.
Restored as a new phone but with my wife's icloud. All settings restored, photos, messages in the cloud. No sim card installed just wifi. First 2 nights brand new phone battery went down by 18% both nights. Which is absurd considering there is no sim card not a single app installed just icloud. I started thinking maybe its cookies and cache, but I do not want to delete those just yet as it deletes on every device.
I restored the phone last night and started as a new device without logging into any icloud accounts. It did not drop a single percentage overnight.
So I started thinking the only common denominator between this is homekit. Tonight, I will be restoring it again and signing in but not enabling homekit and gonna see what happens.

UPDATE: Restored a brand new phone without a backup just logged in. Turned off all icloud services.. ZERO drain..turned everything on before I left for work except for siri and homekit. We'll see when i get home.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.