Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is it me, or since iOS 13 when you get to 20% left the rest of the drain seems quicker than usual ?
I have noticed that as well and it has led me to believe that 13.0 also might have an issue with the percentage not displaying correctly.
[automerge]1577767995[/automerge]
iPhone 11. Lately it's 'in the sink' awful since 13.3.1
So you’re on 13.3.1 beta and no improvement?

newbienew

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
Facing same issue after upgrade on iPhone XS here.

Battery charged to 100% at night, and early morning 7AM, 50 % went missing.

If I fully charged and use the phone as per normal, streaming and etc, it can last me 5-6 hours without any problem.

- TrueTone function went missing, even restore via DFU on Itunes.

- Overheating issue after this upgrade

Attachments

• Battery.PNG
    Battery.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 300
  • Function Gone.PNG
    Function Gone.PNG
    101.5 KB · Views: 293

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018

If I fully charged and use the phone as per normal, streaming and etc, it can last me 5-6 hours without any problem.

That sounds like a hardware issue—try restoring your phone as new, if you're still having issues take it to an Apple store if you're able.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Did you install everything fresh after DFU or did you then restore from backup? My issue only went away when I stopped using the backup and installed everything new.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Experiencing severe drain on my 6s with 13.3. Below 60% after three hours just sitting in my pocket. Powered off for part the time. Battery health is 92%, had a new battery installed Sept 2018.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Experiencing severe drain on my 6s with 13.3. Below 60% after three hours just sitting in my pocket. Powered off for part the time. Battery health is 92%, had a new battery installed Sept 2018.

Restart the OS (longer press than simple power down). It’s probably a rogue app or system function

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Ive tried all the usual tricks. Reset, complete drain and recharge, up to and including restore from backup. Phone not only drains but also charges quickly(at least according to the indicator). Sometimes indicator readings are erratic after reboot or reset.
[automerge]1578444925[/automerge]
Also, phone constantly warm suggestive of some kind of background process. Turned off background refresh to no avail

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Take the sim out and put in airplane mode to disable gps.

Turn off the phone for 5-10 minutes

Reboot again.

Put the sim back after 5 minutes if not warming up again.

viracocha

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Spain
My case.
iPhone X and Watch series 4 LTE
Neved had battery problem.
Upgrading to iOS 13.3 and watchOS 6.1.1 all devices with battery drain. Watch series 4 was the worst.

Y wipped as new devices both devices (I wipped watch from iPhone, unpairing it). But problem still present.
So I wipped Watch again, but this time I did it from iPhone, but with "erase all" option (not unpairing).
And now problem solved IN BOTH DEVICES.

Hope this information could help someone.

I reply myself
Problem NOT SOLVED. One day later, battery drain again in both devices.
After full wipe witch both devices several times, I go to Apple Genius Bar. I hope they can help because now is not possible to use devices.

axari

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Battery life is not an issue for apple, apple never mention battery optimization in their iOS update notes...

Last edited:

salzrat

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I can report that on my iphone 6s, on a new iphone 7 battery, I don't notice a difference between 12.4.1 and 13.3. I compared geekbench 4 (exactly same battery life - 3:44!), idle drop (runs 7 hours in standby without losing 1%), and over-day usage, where I can get about 3:15-3:40 of screen-on-time as shown in the battery app for the last day. All is exactly the same between 12.4.1 and 13.3.

If there is noticeable drain in standby, there has to be some issue. I had a similar issue - unexplainable standby drain (between 15 and 25% in 6hours). Finally found out that I had a setting enabled in my contract that gives my iphone a public IP. The modem was constantly bombarded with traffic and never went to sleep. Disabled this setting and immediately, usage went back to normal. Try running it for a couple of hours without a SIM (sorry if you tried that already, didn't check all of the thread). Through elimination, you might be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

FlorianSchneider

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
I've replaced my iPhone 6s back in October with a iPhone 11 Pro. I've migrated to my new iPhone 11 with the iOS migration tool and I was truly amazed, how well that worked. While in the beginning the battery life of my new iPhone 11 was truly stunning, it suddenly started to consume a lot of battery. The battery consumption on my iPhone has also a direct impact on my Apple Watch 3.

I've contacted also the Apple Support, but they could not help me. The only thing they were suggesting me was, that I should backup all my data to iCloud, factory reset the phone and don't restore any settings. I did not do that.

Instead, I've uninstalled (with data) almost all apps and installed them one by one. That was in December. After that, the battery life of my iPhone 11 Pro was good again.

During the first week of January I was on vacation and I had no Wi-Fi connection at all and therefore no application was updated during this time. While in the beginning of my vacation the battery life was still excellent (also on my watch), it went bad again. I've had also the impression, that my data usage had increased (I was on roaming).

After I was at home, I've reset all the settings on my iPhone and that not change anything at all. Today morning I've disconnected my phone from the charger and 3 hours later I was was already at 95%. As in the case of others, there is no indication of which application was eating the battery.

IMG_8140.PNG IMG_8141.PNG

Having a proper firewall at home, I've started to look on the traffic log on my firewall. One thing I've noticed is, that there constantly DNS lookups and the phone is downloading every few minutes 15-20 MB from iCloud. Others here have seen a similar behaviour. I expect, that the phone is not going into deep sleep and eating up the battery.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-19 um 14.17.53 anonymized.png

I'm truly wondering what is causing this and if there is any solution to this. Can anybody confirm, that this is fixed with the most recent 13.3.1 beta?

Reactions: badatusernames

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
My wife and I have experienced the same thing intermittently since November. It’s definitely some kind of iCloud sync problem. We get poor battery life on iPhone 7/SE and Apple Watch series 4. The watch usage time is equal to standby time, and the phone uses huge amounts of data for system services (30mb a day for push notifications). Normally if I sign the phone out of iCloud and then sign in again it returns to normal but the problem comes back after a couple of weeks. We’re running iOS 13.3 (not on the betas)

FlorianSchneider

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
I was thinking to open a new support case with Apple, but it looks like I can contact them only by phone. Is there a way to contact them by mail or a ticketing system? I don't feel like to explain the situation to a 1st level support employee.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
Battery drain issues here, too, since updating my SE from 12.4.1 to 13.3 via iTunes. Got a new battery on december 2018, and iOS indicates 95% of health. Still, it doesn't last 24h on a single charge.. Resetting all settings did not help, either...

My take is, whatever was done to solve the aggressive memory management issue that killed all apps in background in previous iOS 13 versions, is responsible for that battery drain issue. As you can see in the screenshot taken today, my iPhone was sitting completely idle after midnight, and still, the energy consumption goes on a steady pace... probably an iOS process that's always active.

Here's hoping 13.3.1 solves that..

Attachments

• ios 13.3 SE battery drain.png
    ios 13.3 SE battery drain.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I was thinking to open a new support case with Apple, but it looks like I can contact them only by phone. Is there a way to contact them by mail or a ticketing system? I don't feel like to explain the situation to a 1st level support employee.
Apple support is nothing short of wal mart greeters, they have cookie cutter solutions and always resort back to restoring your device. I have wasted countless hours and months with them.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
If there is noticeable drain in standby, there has to be some issue. I had a similar issue - unexplainable standby drain (between 15 and 25% in 6hours). Finally found out that I had a setting enabled in my contract that gives my iphone a public IP. The modem was constantly bombarded with traffic and never went to sleep. Disabled this setting and immediately

What setting is that exactly?
[automerge]1579609981[/automerge]
I've replaced my iPhone 6s back in October with a iPhone 11 Pro. I've migrated to my new iPhone 11 with the iOS migration tool and I was truly amazed, how well that worked. While in the beginning the battery life of my new iPhone 11 was truly stunning, it suddenly started to consume a lot of battery. The battery consumption on my iPhone has also a direct impact on my Apple Watch 3.

I've contacted also the Apple Support, but they could not help me. The only thing they were suggesting me was, that I should backup all my data to iCloud, factory reset the phone and don't restore any settings. I did not do that.

Instead, I've uninstalled (with data) almost all apps and installed them one by one. That was in December. After that, the battery life of my iPhone 11 Pro was good again.

During the first week of January I was on vacation and I had no Wi-Fi connection at all and therefore no application was updated during this time. While in the beginning of my vacation the battery life was still excellent (also on my watch), it went bad again. I've had also the impression, that my data usage had increased (I was on roaming).

After I was at home, I've reset all the settings on my iPhone and that not change anything at all. Today morning I've disconnected my phone from the charger and 3 hours later I was was already at 95%. As in the case of others, there is no indication of which application was eating the battery.

View attachment 889541 View attachment 889542

Having a proper firewall at home, I've started to look on the traffic log on my firewall. One thing I've noticed is, that there constantly DNS lookups and the phone is downloading every few minutes 15-20 MB from iCloud. Others here have seen a similar behaviour. I expect, that the phone is not going into deep sleep and eating up the battery.

View attachment 889543

I'm truly wondering what is causing this and if there is any solution to this. Can anybody confirm, that this is fixed with the most recent 13.3.1 beta?

I noticed this as well. My phone is constantly pining iCloud even while in standby and me not using any other device connected to iCloud.

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
It's probably too early to be optimistic about it, but yesterday I decided (out of options, out of ideas, out of patience...) to try to disable the Optimized Battery Charging option, as a last alternative before resetting everything and restoring data from iTunes (keeping it without a restore is not an option for me).

So far the results are promising, as you can see in the attached image. Comparing to my last post, in which my SE drained the battery sitting idle during the night and with Low Power Mode activated, the consumption now seems to be more in accordance to my usage pattern, which is light to moderate.

One thing to consider is that before disabling the Optimized Battery Charging, my attempt was to disable, in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services, Location-Based Suggestions, Location-Based Alerts, System Customization and the Wi-Fi Networks options... It didn't seem to help..

According to this Apple Support page about the Optimized Battery Charging feature, it uses some of the location options mentioned above and local machine learning to activate it. Since that info remains (or should remain) in the iPhone, it goes against all that crazy traffic to iCloud witnessed by other users in this thread...

If things go well, I'll let you know. But it's all an attempt based on being upset about awful the battery life in iOS 13.3. If any of you guys have the knowledge to criticize or comment on this, it'll be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after disabling the Optimized Battery Charging, I also did a hard reset (power + home button for 10s) before unplugging my SE. If anyone tries to replicate what I did to solve the drain, maybe that step is worth mentioning.

ios 13.3 SE battery drain - no optimized charging - 2020-01-21.png

Last edited:

FlorianSchneider

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2020
It clearly has to do something with iCloud. After I changed my iCloud password and forced to logout all of the devices, my battery life was good again and it started to get worse as soon I've logged in with all the services on iCloud.

Eastf

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2020
I had the same issues recently on all iphones in my family. By tracing the CPU usage, and changing several setting; I finally figure it was caused by some bugs related iCloud sync. With the icould back up and Contacts sync on the cpu usage on iphonexs was around 25% and 100% on 6s. After disabling the back up and contacts sync, the cpu usage on both were drop to 4% on average. The iOS version was 13.3 and were updated one month ago, but the battery draining only started several days ago.

Reactions: badatusernames

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
Reporting back after almost a week after disabling the Battery Optimized Charge, the battery drain isn't as severe as before when my SE is idle, but it's still there.

Another thing I've noticed is that Siri appears in the apps list several times, indicating that it's being triggered.. not to respond to voice commands, but probably to do its search and suggestions job.. And since Siri things have to go to iCloud.. it makes sense that it appears in the traffic mentioned in previous posts..

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Another thing I've noticed is that Siri appears in the apps list several times, indicating that it's being triggered.. not to respond to voice commands, but probably to do its search and suggestions job.. And since Siri things have to go to iCloud.. it makes sense that it appears in the traffic mentioned in previous posts..

I've disabled Siri in my iCloud and still it's being triggered.

52EDE2FE-B1EF-4CA9-B7A8-E1AED168AAF9.png

vlad_djkax

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2016
Brasil
I've disabled Siri in my iCloud and still it's being triggered.

Same here.. Siri appearing even after being disabled in iCloud.. and with the iPhone sitting idle when I'm sleeping.. But the battery graphics is much more merciful in your iPhone.. During 13.3, mine was (still is?) a complete downhill... ?

I've updated to 13.3.1 on Tuesday evening, left the SE plugged until yesterday morning by 09:26 am, hoping that all the Spotlight and reindexing stuff would happen in that time frame..

25h hours after unplugging it, here's the result: disappointing at first, promising later..

SE 13.3.1 Battery Usage 2020-01-30.png

Again, I'll have to wait.. but I'm not holding my breath for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.