Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htnt7919

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Brightness 75%
Wifi
Chrome web browsing
Mail and few non-massive tasks

Pre resetting-SMC

08:30 100%
09:00 85%
10:00 75%
10:30 65%
11:00 58%
12:00 30%

-70% in 3,5 hrs

After resetting SMC

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down and wait for your Mac to shut down.
  2. Press and hold the right Shift key, the left Option key, and the left Control key for 7 seconds. Your Mac might turn on and show the Apple logo on its display. Keep holding those keys while you also press and hold the power button for another 7 seconds. If your Mac turned on when you first pressed the keys, it turns off at this point.
  3. Release all three keys and the power button, then wait a few seconds.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

14:00 100%
14:30 97%
15:00 87%
15:30 76%
16:00 62%
16:30 51%
17:00 45%

-65% in 3 hrs (so probably -70% in 3.5 hrs)
[automerge]1576788945[/automerge]
Chrome as been known for Battery Dracula .

cybeross

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
A little update that may help - I migrated from a Time Machine backup. Consider going in and deleting all unnecessary Launch Agents, Launch Damons, and internet plug-ins. Removing those instantly saw my reported battery life skyrocket. It's saying 15 hours of battery remaining now, but I'll test for a few days. So far, after reinstalling Catalina, resetting NVRAM and SMC, this is the biggest most promising leap yet!

Francesco Cinque

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Milan (Italy)
[automerge]1576788945[/automerge]
Chrome as been known for Battery Dracula .

I tried with safari too, brand new installation with no software on it (as factory default).. same result.
It's more then obvious that there is something critical in the OS itself or in the battery. You will see, this probably will be the "new butterfly issue" of the 16''.

cryellow

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2015
California
Was at 100% or close, walked away from it assume it went into sleep mode on its own about 8pm, turned back on about 7am, was at about 89%.

Been using it on and off past couple hours, now at 76%

Theo Lawant

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
I had received my 1rst 16" MBP 1 week ago, also with horrible battery performance, but also getting extremely hot. After calls with Apple and numerous resets, they told me to return it. So I did. not i have number 2, same issues, i charged it twice today and also the heat.....i installed a fan controller to manage the temp, but is this not crazy? for a € 3200 euro laptop, i expect all the best but get this....returning again does not solve the issue i think.
I use hardly nothing, all updates are done. I do use Chrome, but i use the same as on my previous 2015 MBP, that ones runs for hrs without any issues!

is this going to be solved in, i hope, very soon to come updates?

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Just make sure not to leave it plugged in too long, or go down too low in capacity.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Why? It's not the computer it's the users habits.
[automerge]1576986468[/automerge]
I had received my 1rst 16" MBP 1 week ago, also with horrible battery performance, but also getting extremely hot. After calls with Apple and numerous resets, they told me to return it. So I did. not i have number 2, same issues, i charged it twice today and also the heat.....i installed a fan controller to manage the temp, but is this not crazy? for a € 3200 euro laptop, i expect all the best but get this....returning again does not solve the issue i think.
I use hardly nothing, all updates are done. I do use Chrome, but i use the same as on my previous 2015 MBP, that ones runs for hrs without any issues!

is this going to be solved in, i hope, very soon to come updates?
You don't need to install a fan controller to manage temps. Your car gets warm when you use it so does your computer

Reactions: Chevysales

Theo Lawant

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2019
Why? It's not the computer it's the users habits.
[automerge]1576986468[/automerge]

You don't need to install a fan controller to manage temps. Your car gets warm when you use it so does your computer
Well, my old MBP (mid 2015) did not get close to this temperatures, i cannot keep this one one my lap. i assume this has to do also with the battery consumption/ drain. it has to work too much somehow....

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
A little update that may help - I migrated from a Time Machine backup. Consider going in and deleting all unnecessary Launch Agents, Launch Damons, and internet plug-ins. Removing those instantly saw my reported battery life skyrocket. It's saying 15 hours of battery remaining now, but I'll test for a few days. So far, after reinstalling Catalina, resetting NVRAM and SMC, this is the biggest most promising leap yet!
Do you have any pointers as to how we can do that? Any useful links?

MeToo; I migrated from a Time Machine backup and it is bound to have migrated generations of crap into the 16" running Catalina.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'm currently running a 16" connected to a Cinema display. This always triggers the high performance graphics card (dGPU).

I've disconnected the charge cable, so running on battery - but still connected to the external display.

Running pmset -c gpuswitch 0 has *no* affect on the graphics card setting; still running the dGPU.

Activity monitor's saying that there's 2h45 left on the battery. There are no applications using the graphics card. The highest CPU is Firefox staying around 10%. Literally as I am typing this paragraph it's dropped to 2h36.

---

I'm struggling to trust this 16" for client visits. As we have to have all the damn "special" power supplies, I've two; one in each office. Disconnecting those is a bloody nuisance as they're under the desk. So I'd like to be able to trust the 16" machine to do a half day out without going flat on me.

I've yet to see the 16" get to within 50% of their claimed 10 hours. I feel this is a politician's promise.

Now down to 2h29

---

Question: how can I disable the dGPU for all modes? (As sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 doesn't seem to work)

I've no use for the dGPU for my normal workflows - office work, browsing, listening to music, development using VMWare Fusion. I don't run games nor video editing, etc.

Last edited:

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
It is working. Just disconnect your external monitor and run it.
Probably you see no effect of your command as you run it with monitor connected.
After you execute manual iGPU you won't be able to work with external monitor - it requires dGPU - something to do with wiring I guess - going external is running always through dGPU.
[automerge]1577021030[/automerge]
One more - if you have multiple accounts on your MBP - log-off all except the one you are using. I see ~40% more time on battery with single user on light work. Can have 10h easily in this mode (again - light work/web browsing).

vkmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
I have pretty much tried everything (using intel gpu, avoiding Chrome, single user only etc) but still not getting more than five hours doing normal office tasks (coding in Python, Safari with 4-5 tabs, Mail and Outlook apps and brightness set to ~70%). This is really disappointing. I am definitely returning it when I get back to Blighty!

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I'm currently running a 16" connected to a Cinema display. This always triggers the high performance graphics card (dGPU).

I've disconnected the charge cable, so running on battery - but still connected to the external display.

Running pmset -c gpuswitch 0

Question: how can I disable the dGPU for all modes? (As sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 doesn't seem to work)

I've no use for the dGPU for my normal workflows - office work, browsing, listening to music, development using VMWare Fusion. I don't run games nor video editing, etc.

It is impossible to disable when using an external monitor, as only the DGPU is connected to the usb c ports on 15/16" laptops ( and this is also why they can support more external displays than 13" can )

Reactions: Glenny2lappies

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I have pretty much tried everything (using intel gpu, avoiding Chrome, single user only etc) but still not getting more than five hours doing normal office tasks (coding in Python, Safari with 4-5 tabs, Mail and Outlook apps and brightness set to ~70%). This is really disappointing. I am definitely returning it when I get back to Blighty!

Are you using an external monitor?

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal

Running pmset -c gpuswitch 0 has *no* affect on the graphics card setting; still running the dGPU.

Activity monitor's saying that there's 2h45 left on the battery. There are no applications using the graphics card. The highest CPU is Firefox staying around 10%. Literally as I am typing this paragraph it's dropped to 2h36.

---

I'm struggling to trust this 16" for client visits. As we have to have all the damn "special" power supplies, I've two; one in each office. Disconnecting those is a bloody nuisance as they're under the desk. So I'd like to be able to trust the 16" machine to do a half day out without going flat on me.

I've yet to see the 16" get to within 50% of their claimed 10 hours. I feel this is a politician's promise.

Now down to 2h29

---

Ah, the problem with dedicated cards on 15" and 16" machines!!!

You cannot run external monitors without triggering the dedicated GPU. That kills battery life and elevates the power consumption and temperatures.
That is a design choice from Apple and the reason I struggle with the 13 vs 15 decision for years. I love the added screen real estate, but my needs don't require a dedicated GPU.

I currently have 15 2018 i7 AMD 560 pro. Temperatures on office work range from 32C to 44C on iGPU, while running dGPU with external monitor it ramps up to 60-65. Solution was to ramp up fans to minimum of 2500 and use active cooler base to keep temperatures below 50C. (PECI sensor)

External monitor battery times go around 2h30 to 3h, while using iGPU gets close to 8:30, sometimes 9. These machines never get more than 3:30 with external monitor connected. It has always been like this since they created double GPU back in 2011. Battery times always measured with Integrated GPU.

Maybe they decide along the way to take advantage of new Intel integrated chips in 2020, who knows?
But as it stands we have to live with what we've got. Thunderbolt connections are tied to dGPU.

I would like to buy new 16" machine next year but I need the new machine to have these issues sorted, by using the iGPU or a really efficient dGPU that does not kill my battery and gives me the opportunity to fry an egg on it just because I want to use a fullHD external display with it...

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Now sitting in the lounge with the 16" on my lap. Very little running, only really this Firefox browser with a bunch of windows open. Activity monitor shows about 20% CPU time on Firefox; the CPU graph is barely off the bottom line and the Activity monitor icon (cmd + tab) is showing no activity, occasionally one "light" of the eight; the GPU is "integrated"; brightness is moderate.

So, I'd expect something like a predicted 10 hours, less the half-hour I've been using it.

Currently showing 4h30 remaining. Or half what I'd I've been lead to expect.

Hate to say this, but it seems this claim of 10 hours or "all day battery" is just lies or exaggeration at the very least. (We've just had an election here in the UK and all of us are thoroughly sick of the lies and spin of the politicians -- I don't expect that from Apple!)

The silly thing is all previous MacBook Pros have would last 2h30 to 5 hours. An attraction of this was the hope that I could genuinely leave the power brick in the office.

covedrop

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
I've been extremely satisfied with my 16's battery life. When not using it for work (video editing, music prod) I can go a couple of days with it unplugged. Obviously the heavier I use it (even if just surfing/opening apps/whatever) the battery life will change but I haven't noticed anything remotely similar to what you're describing. Maybe exchange it?

miroki

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2018
I have the 2.4/64/5500M 8GB/2TB. This is what I got with battery health, it has been all over the place with its Current Max but it has always been below its designed 8790 View attachment 879628
I took this with like 8 chrome tabs open (a combination of youtube, this forum, and various newsites), telegram up in another desktop as well as terminal in that same desktop. I would continue to monitor your computer and I will do the same. I will let you know if anything changes on my end
I have the same specs as yours and the battery is as poor as yours. After five to six charging, I’ve never seen it reach its designed capacity. plus, the multicore geekbench score is not ideal (the best shot was below 7100). I’m considering returning it but I’m afraid it won’t make much differenc.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
i think everyone is clearly misunderstanding apples advertising. it firstly says "up to 11 hours", not "11 hours" of battery. i agree this is a stretch. however they do not claim you will get 11 hours of battery life using the dGPU. secondly using the dedicated GPU on these computers kills battery life, i'm not sure how people on this forum don't get this concept. apple cannot break the laws of thermodynamics. more power = less battery. the 15/16" computers can power so many displays because they use the dGPU. the intel integrated graphics can't push so many pixels. this is why they switched to usb-c, so when you use that port you can charge your computer and power a display with one cable. first everyone complains about the usb-c ports, but doesn't actually use them for what they are intended.

again, if people want a silent computer while running an external display, i suggest getting the 13". the reason i got the 16" is because it can push 2 4k displays (quite easily) while running cpu intensive tasks and not throttle. this forums obsession with quietness on a mobile workstation laptop is just flummoxing. its like people sit around all day just holding their ear to their computer and not getting much work done.

Francesco Cinque

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Milan (Italy)
i think everyone is clearly misunderstanding apples advertising. it firstly says "up to 11 hours", not "11 hours" of battery.

Mh no, I disagree. It's called scam. The demonstration is on the Car market, let see the emissions scandal on VW diesels engine. If you declare a value you have to reach it.

Anyway, I understand your point of view, so let's both us make a step back. 11 Hours maybe is just Apple self-promotion, an exaggeration for sure. Let's say that the real value is 30% lower then the 11hrs? The real life should be around 7.7hrs of light usage (mail, web, no graphics). It isn't. It's 4 hours.

Let's suppose then the real battery life is 40% less then the claimed 11hrs? It's 6,6 Hours. I've nver nearly touched this value. This is the demonstration that as users we can use their specifications as toilet paper. It's a complete lie and a scam, that's all.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Mh no, I disagree. It's called scam. The demonstration is on the Car market, let see the emissions scandal on VW diesels engine. If you declare a value you have to reach it.

This is actually a bad example. Most if not all cars state ranges that can only be reached in "ideal" conditions, similar to battery life. The reason VW got fined was due to creating defeat systems to cheat a test - that is nothing to do with meeting claimed values. One is an optimistic target in best conditions, the other is outright fraud.

Francesco Cinque

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Milan (Italy)
Not really, one of the problem was that the tests were made in a lab on a top of the mountains, so their "ideal conditions" were where there is no air.

I'm a Photographer and if I sell you a wedding with up to 1000 pictures, I can't give it to you 10. Even if is "up to".

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
at least on my 15", real 'light' usage, when some process is not misbehaving is somewhere in the 6-8 hour range.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

Anyway, I understand your point of view, so let's both us make a step back. 11 Hours maybe is just Apple self-promotion, an exaggeration for sure. Let's say that the real value is 30% lower then the 11hrs? The real life should be around 7.7hrs of light usage (mail, web, no graphics). It isn't. It's 4 hours.

Let's suppose then the real battery life is 40% less then the claimed 11hrs? It's 6,6 Hours. I've nver nearly touched this value. This is the demonstration that as users we can use their specifications as toilet paper. It's a complete lie and a scam, that's all.
Your model is defective. With light usage I get 8-9 hours. Still not the 11 hours but it gets me thru my workday

Reactions: JohnnyGo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.