Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
If you’re ok with the 7.5w charge rate then I think it is well worth it. Very solid design, looks great.
charging speed isn't really that important... I worry more about how good this will hold the phone with MagSafe? Going over bumps etc..

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
If you’re ok with the 7.5w charge rate then I think it is well worth it. Very solid design, looks great.
charging speed isn't really that important... I worry more about how good this will hold the phone with MagSafe? Going over bumps etc..

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009

I’ll find out tomorrow when I pick up my 13PM. If it can hold that good it can hold anything.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
So the Moment wall puck things fits in the ProClip mount that’s meant to hold a MagSafe charger puck?
Technically yes. The car-specific ProClip bases are meant to be paired with phone-specific mounts, but it’s a matte surface and you can 3M sticky tape nearly anything on there. For example, one might opt to adhere a MagSafe charger to the base. I have to use wired CarPlay, so I chose to go for a cleaner look and use a mount on the ProClip base instead of a charger.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Technically yes. The car-specific ProClip bases are meant to be paired with phone-specific mounts, but it’s a matte surface and you can 3M sticky tape nearly anything on there. For example, one might opt to adhere a MagSafe charger to the base. I have to use wired CarPlay, so I chose to go for a cleaner look and use a mount on the ProClip base instead of a charger.
Thanks for getting back to me! So in your case, you just attached that Moment Mount directly onto a ProClip Car Base and not to the Actual MagSafe Mount that they have.

Like you, I also use Wired CarPlay. When ProClip released that MagSafe Mount, I wanted one but tried to avoid having to buy an actual MagSage Puck to put in it when I didn't actually need it for charging. I tried to find a magnet of the exact size as the official MagSafe puck so I could put it on there and not have to buy a $39 Magsafe charger, but I could never find anything with the right dimensions. I even came across the very same Moment mount you are using and thought it might work, but found out it's too big to fit in the ProClip holder.

Ultimately, I did just buy a MagSafe Charger, cut off the cord and stuck it in the ProClip. An expensive solution, but one I am quite happy with at least.

Reactions: chrisdazzo

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Thanks for getting back to me! So in your case, you just attached that Moment Mount directly onto a ProClip Car Base and not to the Actual MagSafe Mount that they have.

Like you, I also use Wired CarPlay. When ProClip released that MagSafe Mount, I wanted one but tried to avoid having to buy an actual MagSage Puck to put in it when I didn't actually need it for charging. I tried to find a magnet of the exact size as the official MagSafe puck so I could put it on there and not have to buy a $39 Magsafe charger, but I could never find anything with the right dimensions. I even came across the very same Moment mount you are using and thought it might work, but found out it's too big to fit in the ProClip holder.

Ultimately, I did just buy a MagSafe Charger, cut off the cord and stuck it in the ProClip. An expensive solution, but one I am quite happy with at least.

Correct. The Moment mounts come with 3M tape, so it's extremely simple to attach.

As long as you're happy with it, good on ya. There are more elegant solutions, but they too require cutting off mounting points.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Anybody seen if this is available?

looks like the perfect 1!

Any recommendations?

I was looking to get the Belkin 1, but realised it doesn't have a port to charge wirelessly so you have to physically plug it in the phone each time (What!?)

Any recommendations? Preferably with USB C. Wanting it for an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
So ive read from some 12 owners that the original belkin doesnt contact the 13 as well due to the camera bulge lip.

apparently belkin updated it so there are two versions 1) one no charge, 2) one with 10w

some reported that magnets are weaker on the updated version but id figure id ask here to see what people have experienced

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Hey how is the Spiegel holding so far? Any issues of the phone not holding strong enough and falling? I have 13 pro and MagSafe case. Still looking for strong magnetic car holder/charger that is not vent mounted

thank you

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Hey how is the Spiegel holding so far? Any issues of the phone not holding strong enough and falling? I have 13 pro and MagSafe case. Still looking for strong magnetic car holder/charger that is not vent mounted

thank you

I’ve been using it with a 13 Pro Max with both a Caudabe MagSafe case and the Apple Leather case. Both work great. Magnets are very strong.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I’ve been using it with a 13 Pro Max with both a Caudabe MagSafe case and the Apple Leather case. Both work great. Magnets are very strong.
Thank you for your time and response. I think I’ll finally pull the trigger. Tired of looking for something that is strong enough so the phone doesn’t fall off during ride. And not in mood of buying a car mount from porclip USA for my car that still needs either a magnet or apple
MagSafe puck charger at over $100 cost. This seems like a good deal for a less than half of the price.

Reactions: OddyOh

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I just picked up the spigen MagSafe holder only (no charger, because I use wired CarPlay). It’s holding the my iPhone 13 pro (with spigen hybrid MagSafe case) quite strongly, no issues.

I have a mount that is specific to my CX-5. The magnetic portion of this mount fits right onto the ball mount of my existing base, so easy swap there.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Well, I 3D printed a small cylindrical part to thread onto my shifter rod and mounted the Spiegel wireless car charger to it.
2D2B2AC4-D929-4033-89D8-40BA34939653.jpeg
FC2C5061-B9E6-49F7-84B9-0D93C086CB7C.jpeg

The nice thing about this is my knee will no longer knock it off the mount and it also does not interfere with my cup holder.

Last edited:

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Well, I 3D printed a small cylindrical part to thread onto my shifter rod and mounted the Spiegel wireless car charger to it.
View attachment 1856739 View attachment 1856742
The nice thing about this is my knee will no longer knock it off the mount and it also does not interfere with my cup holder.
Cool :)
How do you like that Spiegel charger? Strong magnet? Also, how far vertically can the magnetic plate be adjusted? I have Mini Cooper and this would be sitting almost flat on the dashboard and will need to tilt it down far enough to see the phone screen. Is there any limitation to the tilt?

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Cool :)
How do you like that Spiegel charger? Strong magnet? Also, how far vertically can the magnetic plate be adjusted? I have Mini Cooper and this would be sitting almost flat on the dashboard and will need to tilt it down far enough to see the phone screen. Is there any limitation to the tilt?
Well, I’ve only used it for a trip to the local Safeway here, but I do like it! The magnet seems very strong and the all-metal parts are well made. There‘s a wide range of movement for it, but it can’t go totally vertical. Ideally it needs a 1-1/2” diameter flat spot for the tapered base to mount to a surface. I can go look at it and take a picture of it in full upward position for you.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
This is the maximum it will tilt to vertical- not very much! About 45 degrees I would say.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I ordered this one from Amazon - the vent ones don't like the vents in my girlfriend's car.

It is only 15w charging, but should keep her from killing her phone when she's FaceTiming all of the time. :)

And, yes, don't get me started on her FaceTiming in the car...distracted driving and all that - she's been doing it for years, no amount of preaching is going to get her to change her ways. :D

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
I've been using the Phonesuit Magsafe Carmag Wireless Car Charger & Magnetic Dock, and while it's awesome, now the iPhone 13 Pro camera bump doesn't allow my phone to sit flush with a case. Since I already have a Proclip mount, I have the Proclip iPhone Holder for Magsafe Charger coming later this week. Fingers crossed it's a good solution to my issues. Magsafe issues ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.