Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
You're more than welcome Aluminum213.

As you may notice in my forementioned stylus review, I'm using the first (original) Bamboo stylus.
At the time it had great reviews, which is why I decided on it.
I think this particular model is no longer for sale, and once I run out of tip replacements I too will need to switch to the actual model(s) that Wacom offers. One can only assume they've improved their products.

The Maglus has a better (firmer and more responsive) tip, and by now they also offer mesh tips and a smaller body stylus. My original sized one is simply too big and heavy on long sessions of writing.
On the other hand, it's a perfect finger replacement for other tasks like browsing the web, handling email. In short, using your device for other things than writing or drawing.

My Trueglide has worn out rather quickly - in a sense that the mesh tip itself is still smooth and responsive, but it's core has somehow softened. It was already a ball shaped tip (rather than a pointy one), and now writing with it feels like you're moving a wad of cotton wool over the screen. I find this lack of firmness a problem, because there's too little feedback (or even too little resistance) while writing.

The maglus isn't battery powered right?

$74 on Amazon?! I can buy a lot of pencils an paper with that.

It was $50 last week and $60 now on Amazon, unless you're not talking about the Pencil by 53

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
No it isn't. Sometimes people refer to these as "dumb styli".

Based on your recommendation I ordered the maglus, it comes with the silicone tip. Should I get the microfiber and graphite tips?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I simply cannot use my Adonit Jot Script on my iPad Air 2? Worked like a dream on the air 1. What's going on? This is on Goodnotes. Any ideas?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Based on your recommendation I ordered the maglus, it comes with the silicone tip. Should I get the microfiber and graphite tips?

My only experience with microfiber tips is the Lynktec TruGlide.
The material itself does glide smoother than rubber, but the TruGlide tip itself (I mean the inside) may be some kind of hollow ball as far as I know.

Now, already the Maglus rubber tip is more firm than p.e. the Bamboo. It's a good steady tip allround. So if they've put the same expertise in their microfiber tip, I'd say it's definitely worth considering.
Microfiber will last longer than rubber. My Maglus rubber tips need replacement every 2 or 3 months I'd say - of course depends on your usage.
Check the Louis Dyer link you'll find in my Stylus lineup review to find out a little more about the Maglus microfiber tip.

Finally, the Maglus graphite tip is meant to write / draw on paper - not on a device surface. The material is said to never needing sharpening. Sounds cool, doesn't it? I'd love to try it someday.

----------

I simply cannot use my Adonit Jot Script on my iPad Air 2? Worked like a dream on the air 1. What's going on? This is on Goodnotes. Any ideas?

According to their support site, it should work OK.
Perhaps contact the developer about it - Steven is very responsive IMHO.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

There is a problem with active stylii and they Air 2. According to Adonit, the new screen uses more power, so to keep things Equal,Apple is scanning the screen less frequently. So far the new Jot Touch barely works at all. Some people are reporting issues with the Script, but it is working great for me. What settings are you using? Palm rejection Adonit or Goodnotes? Palm rejection sensitivity? Battery is good?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
There is a problem with active stylii and they Air 2. According to Adonit, the new screen uses more power, so to keep things Equal,Apple is scanning the screen less frequently. So far the new Jot Touch barely works at all. Some people are reporting issues with the Script, but it is working great for me. What settings are you using? Palm rejection Adonit or Goodnotes? Palm rejection sensitivity? Battery is good?

I've tried adjusting the palm rejection sensitivity and changed the battery. I use Goodnotes but tried Penultimate and Notability. It won't work on any. Your explanation seems the answer. Thanks. Just have to use my Bamboo.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Actually a nice price for the maglus, is it usb powered like the 53 pencil?
Super busy this week, hence the delayed response...

No batteries needed, it's capacitive. Forgot to mention, it also ships with one replacement tip too.

I discovered the Maglus via The Verge - skip to about 5 minutes in their video review of a bunch of stylii. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSrqqHPP1M

I'm considering ordering another one, FYI saw that there's a 20% discount by ordering directly from their website.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Do any recommend the bamboo fineline? I bought an adonit jot pro and it just doesnt write well. Rubber and fiber stylus arent very precise/smooth for me.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Super busy this week, hence the delayed response...

No batteries needed, it's capacitive. Forgot to mention, it also ships with one replacement tip too.

I discovered the Maglus via The Verge - skip to about 5 minutes in their video review of a bunch of stylii. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSrqqHPP1M

I'm considering ordering another one, FYI saw that there's a 20% discount by ordering directly from their website.

Thanks, that's a good video review of it. I ordered it through Amazon and I should have it Monday to try out

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Anyone tried the Maglus Black Edition - Stylus ?

----------

Thanks, that's a good video review of it. I ordered it through Amazon and I should have it Monday to try out

I think my post refers to the one you got. How do you find it?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Anyone tried the Maglus Black Edition - Stylus ?

----------

I think my post refers to the one you got. How do you find it?

I think it's fantastic and built quaility is excellent. I'm happy with the response of the tip it comes with, also curious if the micro fiber tip is worth getting. I've used the noteshelf app as recommended in this thread and messed around with the Paper app.

sorrenvino

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
I think it's fantastic and built quaility is excellent. I'm happy with the response of the tip it comes with, also curious if the micro fiber tip is worth getting. I've used the noteshelf app as recommended in this thread and messed around with the Paper app.

Since your profile shows that you have an iPad Air 2, could you comment on whether you've run into any difficulties with its losing track of your touch, either while using (especially) the stylus or your finger?

From the above comments, certainly most active styluses are problematic for the Air 2, but there are posts critical of passive "touch tracking". E.g., https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6686762, and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6636867. (note the 2nd to last comment in the latter site indicates the suggested solution is only temporary, and the problem recurs for that user)

I would like to get the Air 2, but if these are issues they would be deal breakers (and I would be forced to get the Air 1), as my primary planned uses are annotating PDFs and taking handwritten notes. Right now I'm only interested in passive styli. I would very much appreciate feedback from anyone with relevant personal experience!

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Since your profile shows that you have an iPad Air 2, could you comment on whether you've run into any difficulties with its losing track of your touch, either while using (especially) the stylus or your finger?

From the above comments, certainly most active styluses are problematic for the Air 2, but there are posts critical of passive "touch tracking". E.g., https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6686762, and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6636867. (note the 2nd to last comment in the latter site indicates the suggested solution is only temporary, and the problem recurs for that user)

I would like to get the Air 2, but if these are issues they would be deal breakers (and I would be forced to get the Air 1), as my primary planned uses are annotating PDFs and taking handwritten notes. Right now I'm only interested in passive styli. I would very much appreciate feedback from anyone with relevant personal experience!

I haven't noticed any issue of it losing track of my touch once it's started

hrt

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
What's the best stylus for note taking?

1. You need to figure out whether you need a bluetooth-enabled pen or not. I decided that a regular pen was sufficient.

2. The tip : soft rubber tip, hard tip, disc... Noise can be an issue, and stylus with a disc are slightly noisy. Don't get me wrong, it is not loud, but there is a little tap each time the tip hits the screen.

As I frequently use the stylus during meetings, I don't necessarily want to draw attention..

I decided to go with the Wacom Bamboo Stylus Solo, which I use with Goodnotes.
I am satisfied with this combo.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Do any recommend the bamboo fineline? I bought an adonit jot pro and it just doesnt write well. Rubber and fiber stylus arent very precise/smooth for me.

Did you get Fineline? Thinking to get one, but i cant really find any reviews of it and air2. Support site says it is not yet(?) optimized for Air2.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Did you get Fineline? Thinking to get one, but i cant really find any reviews of it and air2. Support site says it is not yet(?) optimized for Air2.

Nope, i ended up eyeing the creative stylus 2 as it is said to be a slightly better stylus but it is not compatible with the air 2 due to the different touch sensor hardware of it. The fineline is not optimized yet for the air 2, but will be in the future. At least thats what wacom says.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Nope, i ended up eyeing the creative stylus 2 as it is said to be a slightly better stylus but it is not compatible with the air 2 due to the different touch sensor hardware of it. The fineline is not optimized yet for the air 2, but will be in the future. At least thats what wacom says.

Amazon reviews seem to be pretty negative on the fineline and creative stylus 2, have you had any issues with it?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I was looking Creative stylus 2 too, but then i noticed their latest note on their site and they have said that it wont work with air2 (and never will be).

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Amazon reviews seem to be pretty negative on the fineline and creative stylus 2, have you had any issues with it?

Didnt buy the CS2, i held off when i saw there was no compatibility with the air 2.

I read in this very same forum someone saying the CS2 was the best stylus he ever owned, having tried the fineline as well. Im not sure, i think i also need more info/reviews especially on this forum to buy this fineline stylus, im tired of buying styluses only to be dissapointed with them. Here's a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koeRa7hoj04

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Didnt buy the CS2, i held off when i saw there was no compatibility with the air 2.

I read in this very same forum someone saying the CS2 was the best stylus he ever owned, having tried the fineline as well. Im not sure, i think i also need more info/reviews especially on this forum to buy this fineline stylus, im tired of buying styluses only to be dissapointed with them. Here's a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koeRa7hoj04

Just saw the review, looked disappointing, he says himself

But the s pen on the Galaxy looked amazing lol

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010

Have you tried the new GoodNotes update? Any improvement with the Air2 and the Jot Touch?

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
I have tried all the ones mentioned, and I feel that Notes Plus is by far the best Note Taking App out there. With the new Evernote Jot Script (which supposedly works only on Bluetooth 4.0 enabled Ipads), it even works on my Ipad 2 which is only Bluetooth 2.1+EDR and I find it now an even better Note Taking App. I do notice though that Penultimate has managed to considerably reduce the smudges caused by my palm resting on the ipad screen in their latest version, though their lack of magnification, is still a problem. I feel if Notes Plus can just about bring their palm rejection to the same level as Penultimate, then it will be the best.

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
What's the best note taking app with stylus use?

I really love Noteshelf. It's freaking awesome. It has a feature to ignore touches below a user-defined point, so you can rest your wrist, and it zooms into an area so you can write small without writing small. The zoomed area automatically jumps to the next line when you reach the end of a line. It supports regular text also, and has great cut, copy, and paste features. Works with the cheapest variety of touch styluses (the kind with the rubbery tips) or even your finger, so there's no expensive hardware to potentially lose.

Edit: it does support five of the major third-party hardware styluses like 53, Intuos, etc., so I mean you can use it that way too. But the Evernote and Dropbox integration and slick, easy, simple user interface really sets it apart IMHO. It's been around forever and is one of the most mature of these kinds of apps. Highly recommended!

PS — it uses an OpenGL based renderer so it is considerably less laggy to write with than any of the other ones I've tried, although many people wouldn't notice a difference. I certainly do. Its colord highlighters and support for regular typed text that always remains re-editable later is awesome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.