Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Ok,
I wanted to post an update to this thread, slightly of topic.

I have been working on porting a program from a visual basic application for Excel to Object C/Cocoa. When I wrote it before, I was not using an iPad. I had my hard copy of the PDF with the formula highlighted. I had my laptop. I had to take some hand written notes as well on a paper at the same time.

This time I had the PDF on my MacBook which I had highlighted in GoodNotes. I had GoodNotes for scratch Notes with the Adonit on the iPad. I also looked at the PDF as well on the iPad. Then I had Xcode open on my MacBook Air. It was great. I didn't miss not having a pen and paper at all. Even if had an all in one Surface Pro or Thinkpad Yoga Pro I would not have enough room to see everything I needed to while typing on the keyboard.

Really impressed by the combination of iPad/GoodNotes and MacBook Air!:apple:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Ok,
I wanted to post an update to this thread, slightly of topic.

I have been working on porting a program from a visual basic application for Excel to Object C/Cocoa. When I wrote it before, I was not using an iPad. I had my hard copy of the PDF with the formula highlighted. I had my laptop. I had to take some hand written notes as well on a paper at the same time.

This time I had the PDF on my MacBook which I had highlighted in GoodNotes. I had GoodNotes for scratch Notes with the Adonit on the iPad. I also looked at the PDF as well on the iPad. Then I had Xcode open on my MacBook Air. It was great. I didn't miss not having a pen and paper at all. Even if had an all in one Surface Pro or Thinkpad Yoga Pro I would not have enough room to see everything I needed to while typing on the keyboard.

Really impressed by the combination of iPad/GoodNotes and MacBook Air!:apple:

Nice to read about your methods. It's on topic actually, as it shows the stylus/notetaking in a working setup.
Allow me to share my situation...

I'm slowly growing to a point where my GoodNotes categories and Notebooks' books are named the same: in each app I have one per project.
These apps can exchange all their data without the need of an intermediate step. So, from within GoodNotes, I can export a handwritten page to Notebooks where it becomes part of a project book, or from within Notebooks I can export a pdf into GoodNotes where I can annotate it. I really like to work with this combo.
Both apps automatically backup to my Dropbox folder.
And in the meantime, I'm getting better at using my Apex stylus.

I use Notebooks on my Mac as well, and can't wait to see GoodNotes for Mac...

The thing I miss most in GoodNotes, is the lack of a pencil. Right now I add Bamboo Paper to the mix, but I'm not too happy with it. Since I do a lot of sketching, I'm still considering the switch from GoodNotes to Noteshelf.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Best stylus iPad app for note taking?

Nice to read about your methods. It's on topic actually, as it shows the stylus/notetaking in a working setup.
Allow me to share my situation...

I'm slowly growing to a point where my GoodNotes categories and Notebooks' books are named the same: in each app I have one per project.
These apps can exchange all their data without the need of an intermediate step. So, from within GoodNotes, I can export a handwritten page to Notebooks where it becomes part of a project book, or from within Notebooks I can export a pdf into GoodNotes where I can annotate it. I really like to work with this combo.
Both apps automatically backup to my Dropbox folder.
And in the meantime, I'm getting better at using my Apex stylus.

I use Notebooks on my Mac as well, and can't wait to see GoodNotes for Mac...

The thing I miss most in GoodNotes, is the lack of a pencil. Right now I add Bamboo Paper to the mix, but I'm not too happy with it. Since I do a lot of sketching, I'm still considering the switch from GoodNotes to Noteshelf.

You should try NoteShelf. It has many inking options all of them very good. The interface isn't as clean as GoodNotes though. It is not bad at all though. In fact it is easier to change pens colors in NoteShelf. GoodNotes can bog down with a lot of highlights but I have not experienced that. If I was going to do a lot of sketches and notes, NoteShelf would be my go to. I take notes and draw diagrams so GoodNotes is my main app.

On a side note, my Adonit Jot Touch with Pixel point died on me today. It began to lose connection and then finally would not even work as a dumb stylus. I tried my old Adonit Jot Touch and it still works great. I emailed Adonit so I will see. I have only had the Pixel point model 2 months.

I agree with you. I am looking forward to GoodNotes for the Mac!

Last edited:

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I just wish the Dropbox integration was better in Noteshelf. I'd like auto uploads not manual uploads.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I just wish the Dropbox integration was better in Noteshelf. I'd like auto uploads not manual uploads.

You are right. I found it much more difficult to import and export with NoteShelf. It would seem I could set automatically to upload your documents. GoodNotes automatically syncs with iCloud. So when I pick up my phone and open GoodNotes my notes are already there.

In fact, that is one big plus for GoodNotes. I really like being able to glance at my notes on my iPhone or add to them on either device. Plus I can use the Adonit Jot Touch on either device.

icekuma

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
It is time to report back.

I finally bought GoodNotes. A mixed bag feedback. Let me start with the positive. :)

1) The writing experience is slightly better than Notability due to left-right (when writing in zoom mode); whereas in notability; it auto advance as i reach to the right of the border, which sometimes caused me to create unwanted spaces. Just my personal preference, I thought MyScript Notes gives better response and feedback though my handwriting looks mechanised.

2) Zoomed writing mode works really well.

3) the Jotscript pixel point. Honestly, I cannot find that much of difference compared to the JotPro with disc. Perhaps I am not used to it yet?

Negative:
1) I cannot get JotTouch Pixel Point to work without being connected to GoodNotes! It is not the pen as I can use it to write in other app (notability/script) Anyone has any idea how to makes pixel point work without being connected?

2) Felt lag at times.

3) The writing without zoomed mode definitely SUCK big time. I tried so many variation of hand position (physical and setting); still there is some sort of several mm gaps between the tip and the actual "ink" on the screen. with the "ink" was a bit to the left (i am right-handed if that matters?) from the tip.

I will try it again and see if my experience improves.

I am seriously don't think it worth the money for pixel point now. i should have bought the jot script that time (esp when Amazon was having good discount!)

Cheers.

What's even more, the images are saved on what I'd call a separate layer of the document - so that whatever you write over it remains on yet another layer.
GoodNotes has a similar management of the strokes you make with a marker: once drawn, it's automatically stored on it's own layer and then moved back underneath the layer that holds your actual text notes.
It's probably as complex as I make it sound, because - as the downside - it slows down the app. Not at first, but once your notebook holds 20+ pages, you better stay away from the Marker tool.

In Noteshelf, everything (pen, marker, images...) is piled one on top of the other, and flattened onto one single layer of pixels. Import an image, draw a line over it then erase it and boom! part of the image is gone as well.
Draw a Marker line over a text, and you'll see how it makes the text a wee blurry and less crisp.
Sometimes this approach is less what I'd want, but... Noteshelf remains on top speed and responsiveness.

Choices...

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
You should try NoteShelf. It has many inking options all of them very good. The interface isn't as clean as GoodNotes though. It is not bad at all though. In fact it is easier to change pens colors in NoteShelf.

Just for the record, I should add that I own Noteshelf - in fact it was my app of choice before switching to GoodNotes. While on the latter at this point, I haven't made my mind up yet. So I might go back to Noteshelf for the beautiful toolset and superior writing experience. But then again, I'd have to give up some on productivity.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
It is time to report back.

I finally bought GoodNotes. A mixed bag feedback. Let me start with the positive. :)

1) The writing experience is slightly better than Notability due to left-right (when writing in zoom mode); whereas in notability; it auto advance as i reach to the right of the border, which sometimes caused me to create unwanted spaces. Just my personal preference, I thought MyScript Notes gives better response and feedback though my handwriting looks mechanised.

2) Zoomed writing mode works really well.

3) the Jotscript pixel point. Honestly, I cannot find that much of difference compared to the JotPro with disc. Perhaps I am not used to it yet?

Negative:
1) I cannot get JotTouch Pixel Point to work without being connected to GoodNotes! It is not the pen as I can use it to write in other app (notability/script) Anyone has any idea how to makes pixel point work without being connected?

2) Felt lag at times.

3) The writing without zoomed mode definitely SUCK big time. I tried so many variation of hand position (physical and setting); still there is some sort of several mm gaps between the tip and the actual "ink" on the screen. with the "ink" was a bit to the left (i am right-handed if that matters?) from the tip.

I will try it again and see if my experience improves.

I am seriously don't think it worth the money for pixel point now. i should have bought the jot script that time (esp when Amazon was having good discount!)

Cheers.

Always nice to read people's feedback - so thanks for sharing!
Positive...
@1- Notability has a rather poor writing experience IMHO. So, no wonder GoodNotes is better.
@2- Indeed it does.
@3- No experience with the Jots. All I can say from my experience: you need to get used to your tools, give it some time.
Negative...
@1- You should give feedback to the developer, he's a very thoughtfull person. Again, I have no experience with the Jots, but GoodNotes is supposed to support them.
@2- I experience lag once I start using the marker tool a tad too much (it's layered underneath the pen layer, therefor takes quite some screen redraw i.e. lag).
@3- I'm getting used to my Apex, and find the writing without zoom window quite doable. The alignment can be a result of software incompatibility or bug, but also - like I said earlier - you really have to give it some time. I'm confident your experience will change for the better.

Best of luck!

s-o-teric

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Boston
Upgraded my GoodNotes

So I finally bought the newest GoodNotes version.

The inability to organize my notes isn't as anyone as I thought it would be...so far.

Everything else works wonderfully, except for one big issue. The big issue is that randomly, when I have my Jot Script connected (which I always do), I lose the ability to zoom in or out. This is extremely annoying, as I'll have zoomed in to add some smaller notes or sketches and all of a sudden cannot two pinch zoom back out. I either have to power off my Jot Script or exit out of the app and open it back up... That happens multiple times throughout the day, so here's to hoping they can fix that bug soon.

GoodNotes

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2015
Hi all, I am Steven from GoodNotes. Thanks a lot for recommending GoodNotes!

I cannot get JotTouch Pixel Point to work without being connected to GoodNotes! It is not the pen as I can use it to write in other app (notability/script) Anyone has any idea how to makes pixel point work without being connected?

In Options > Settings > Palm Rejection, please set Sensitivity to Low or None and it will let you write with the stylus without connecting. GoodNotes ignores input from these fine tip styluses because they are seen as large touches.

The big issue is that randomly, when I have my Jot Script connected (which I always do), I lose the ability to zoom in or out. This is extremely annoying, as I'll have zoomed in to add some smaller notes or sketches and all of a sudden cannot two pinch zoom back out. I either have to power off my Jot Script or exit out of the app and open it back up... That happens multiple times throughout the day, so here's to hoping they can fix that bug soon.

It is a bug from the latest Adonit Jot SDK but they told me a new SDK with the fix would be available today or tomorrow. We are going to send an update to Apple for approval this week with their new SDK.

Last edited:

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Ok,

Good news. My pixel point is fixed. Support said the end near the tip could sometimes loosen and I should turn it clockwise. It didn't feel loose but it did turn a quarter of a turn and after that it worked perfectly. I bought a pen case to carry it in my Pixel point from now on. I had been carrying it the pen slot of my messenger bag.

The feel of taking notes with it is completely different from using the Jot Touch. Not that the Jot Touch is bad, but the feel with Pixel Point in GoodNotes is awesome.

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Looking to start using my iPad for notes at work rather than using pen and paper. What stylus would you recommend?

daminliu

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
check this iPad app for drawing

While you are talking about the stylus iPad app for note taking, I would recommend a great iPad drawing app "Penpoint Drawing" that I made.

You can use it to draw lines without a stylus, but it has the same effect as a stylus.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Hi all, I am Steven from GoodNotes. Thanks a lot for recommending GoodNotes!

In Options > Settings > Palm Rejection, please set Sensitivity to Low or None and it will let you write with the stylus without connecting. GoodNotes ignores input from these fine tip styluses because they are seen as large touches.

It is a bug from the latest Adonit Jot SDK but they told me a new SDK with the fix would be available today or tomorrow. We are going to send an update to Apple for approval this week with their new SDK.

I though I would just post a quick update. I have completely shifted to GoodNotes and the Adonit pixel point. It works well. I have been working on a rather long linear equations with multiple constants and 2 to 3 variables. Usually, on paper I would write the equation substitute the numbers and calculate as I go. If I made an error, re-write and/or erase then continue.
Now I simply write in GoodNotes and then substitute. If I make and error I can easily erase the section and pick right up. Mean while on my MacBook Air, I have the section of code for the program I am working on with the formula and check its results easily looking at the Ipad. Really clean. Much smoother work flow.

I am really surprised I do not depend on paper.

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I think I missed something here when buying daily notes but I don't think it supports a stylus, seems like only keyboard input :(

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I think I missed something here when buying daily notes but I don't think it supports a stylus, seems like only keyboard input :(

When on a day page, tap on the + sign at the bottom left and pick "Attach Sketch". You'll land in a sketch page. Not exactly a luxurious handwriting environment but perhaps it helps. In the end, the page is stored in the day page.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010

I tried the free version of ZoomNotes. It has a lot of features and I think it has the most share options.

However, I found scrolling and zooming not at smooth as in Notability or GoodNotes.

I agree. I have seen ZoomNotes mentions but I do not see how it has any advantages over Goodnotes, NoteShelf or notability? The zoom feature in the zoom box and being able to zoom in on the full page by 2 finger pinch in Goodnotes is unbeatable.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I agree. I have seen ZoomNotes mentions but I do not see how it has any advantages over Goodnotes, NoteShelf or notability? The zoom feature in the zoom box and being able to zoom in on the full page by 2 finger pinch in Goodnotes is unbeatable.

I didn't find as many options in NoteShelf, & I'm unfamiliar with Goodnotes.

I use ZoomNotes for all my meetings, and being able to tag a place is great. I can usually do a large outline, and then zoom is as necessary for the individual points.

I also love being able to import a .pdf to fill in, or annotate.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010

I didn't find as many options in NoteShelf, & I'm unfamiliar with Goodnotes.

I use ZoomNotes for all my meetings, and being able to tag a place is great. I can usually do a large outline, and then zoom is as necessary for the individual points.

I also love being able to import a .pdf to fill in, or annotate.

Take a look at GoodNotes. It can do all of that. And it has a quick indent feature in the zoom box that I use all the time when I take notes. Works great for outlines. It can import and export PDFS to google drive, iCloud, skydrive, and Drop Box.

Ok I tried ZoomNotes. It is nice. But unless I missed something, you cannot view the entire page when writing with a stylus. Is that right? There is no "zoom box"?

How can you see the overall format say when taking notes as an outline??

Last edited:

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Ok,
I found out how to get a zoom box in ZoomNotes. I like ZoomNotes. It does have many of the same features that GoodNotes has. ZoomNotes works well with my Adonit Pixel point. However, the palm rejection seems better in GoodNotes. ZoomNotes does have more inking options than GoodNotes. And inks as well as GoodNotes. However, GoodNotes has a simpler interface. It is easier for me to get to options quicker in GoodNotes. I don't have to customize it.

I will have to set some defaults in ZoomNotes to get it where I would want it. I don't think that is a negative at all. In fact, it could be a real plus. I will give it a try and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.