Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I really love Noteshelf. It's freaking awesome. It has a feature to ignore touches below a user-defined point, so you can rest your wrist, and it zooms into an area so you can write small without writing small. The zoomed area automatically jumps to the next line when you reach the end of a line. It supports regular text also, and has great cut, copy, and paste features. Works with the cheapest variety of touch styluses (the kind with the rubbery tips) or even your finger, so there's no expensive hardware to potentially lose.

Edit: it does support five of the major third-party hardware styluses like 53, Intuos, etc., so I mean you can use it that way too. But the Evernote and Dropbox integration and slick, easy, simple user interface really sets it apart IMHO. It's been around forever and is one of the most mature of these kinds of apps. Highly recommended!

PS — it uses an OpenGL based renderer so it is considerably less laggy to write with than any of the other ones I've tried, although many people wouldn't notice a difference. I certainly do. Its colord highlighters and support for regular typed text that always remains re-editable later is awesome.

Couldn't agree more about NoteShelf. It has by far the best writing experience of every app I ever tested (a lot, a whole lot) thanks to their inking engine and plethora of tools and colours. Everything looks very smooth, organic, textured... I can't get enough of sketching with the pencil.
But GoodNotes is more productive, faster, taking less tapping to get things done, offering much more export and open in... stuff. I also need the import of pdf's right into a notebook etc. etc. Tough choices.

As it happens, I just received my new Lynktec Finetip Rechargeable Stylus. First impression, honestly, I'm not very impressed.
It takes a lot more pressure than I expected. While GoodNotes skips about 15% of my strokes and shows a wee lagging for the rest, Noteshelf is overall faster and more fluent, in brief: a better user experience. So I may well end up using Noteshelf again - unless I decide against holding on to the Apex.

Undecided for now though :eek:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
You should try the Adonit smart stylus. I have had great luck with them and GoodNotes!

Thanks for your suggestion, but...

I did consider a lot of styli for a long time, seen and read as many reviews as I could find. I went with the Apex for the soft tip, because I couldn't stand the constant ticking of a hard tip like the Adonit and other BT styli. Not to mention the stress I'd possibly cause my co-workers around me.

Besides, "try" means "buy", right? Uch - I've spent enough money on styli than ended up in a cardboard container :(

s-o-teric

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Boston
Adonit Jot Script + GoodNotes

I've been using the Adonit Jot Script and GoodNotes for over a year now (with iPad 3rd Gen), and I honestly wouldn't know what to do without it. The Jot Script has been terrific for me as I use it for personal note taking and annotating PDFs and simple drawings and sketches for work. No scratching, the tapping isn't loud enough to bother me at all, and haven't had anyone else say it bothers them. Connectivity and responsiveness with GoodNotes is excellent, and the automatic palm rejection works like magic.

Problem is, when GoodNotes updated their app, they did a UI refresh, but then took some features away, and then charged for the upgrade. I was extremely happy with GoodNotes 3 and am still using it, but it seems like they are slowly killing off support for it (backup doesn't work, navigating via thumbnails kills the app, trying to add a picture kills the app).

So I'm currently wondering has anyone made the switch from GoodNotes 3 to GoodNotes 4 with the Jot Script and what is your experience?

I'm considering switching to NoteShelf, but if it doesn't have auto palm rejection and no zooming...that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've been using the Adonit Jot Script and GoodNotes for over a year now (with iPad 3rd Gen), and I honestly wouldn't know what to do without it. The Jot Script has been terrific for me as I use it for personal note taking and annotating PDFs and simple drawings and sketches for work. No scratching, the tapping isn't loud enough to bother me at all, and haven't had anyone else say it bothers them. Connectivity and responsiveness with GoodNotes is excellent, and the automatic palm rejection works like magic.

Problem is, when GoodNotes updated their app, they did a UI refresh, but then took some features away, and then charged for the upgrade. I was extremely happy with GoodNotes 3 and am still using it, but it seems like they are slowly killing off support for it (backup doesn't work, navigating via thumbnails kills the app, trying to add a picture kills the app).

So I'm currently wondering has anyone made the switch from GoodNotes 3 to GoodNotes 4 with the Jot Script and what is your experience?

I'm considering switching to NoteShelf, but if it doesn't have auto palm rejection and no zooming...that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

I don't recall what they took away in going to version 4. In general they have done an excellent job of refining the program without allowing it to get bloated. I have used the Jot Script exclusively with v4 and am happy with it. If anything, I'd expect the experience to be better as I can't imagine v3 actually incorporates Adonit's sdk - certainly nothing current anyhow.

The few dollars charged for Goodnotes has got to be one of the great bargains in software.

s-o-teric

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
Boston
I don't recall what they took away in going to version 4. In general they have done an excellent job of refining the program without allowing it to get bloated. I have used the Jot Script exclusively with v4 and am happy with it. If anything, I'd expect the experience to be better as I can't imagine v3 actually incorporates Adonit's sdk - certainly nothing current anyhow.

The few dollars charged for Goodnotes has got to be one of the great bargains in software.

Thanks, the inability to manually move around documents (only sortable by title or date in v. 4) was one thing I read. The other issues were performance related.

You've convinced me to at least test out v. 4. Thanks again!

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010

I agree. I think GoodNotes/NoteShelf. Are the iPad killer apps. I prefer GoodNotes much more due to the clean interface and the flow of work. It is so smooth. GoodNotes has replaced paper notes for me completely. Something I never thought would happen! It is a steal at its current price.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Thanks, the inability to manually move around documents (only sortable by title or date in v. 4) was one thing I read. The other issues were performance related.

You've convinced me to at least test out v. 4. Thanks again!

The sorting was all about iCloud compatibility, and will probably be here to stay.

----------

I agree. I think GoodNotes/NoteShelf. Are the iPad killer apps. I prefer GoodNotes much more due to the clean interface and the flow of work. It is so smooth. GoodNotes has replaced paper notes for me completely. Something I never thought would happen! It is a steal at its current price.

They are indeed, always in the Top 10 over at AppShopper.
Point is, as an architect I like / need to sketch a lot - and I really miss a Pencil tool in GoodNotes. Noteshelf has a Pencil tool, and it's a fantastic tool with a very realistic effect.

----------

<snip> I'm considering switching to NoteShelf, but if it doesn't have auto palm rejection and no zooming...that's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

GoodNotes has a very smart palm rejection, it's close to perfect.
Noteshelf has this indicator that moves down automatically as you write, but is totally useless if you need a whole page to draw or sketch.
GoodNotes has the pinch to zoom right on the page, Noteshelf doesn't. As much as I would like to have it, oh well, I can't zoom on a real sheet of paper either :D

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
I really love Noteshelf. It's freaking awesome. It has a feature to ignore touches below a user-defined point, so you can rest your wrist, and it zooms into an area so you can write small without writing small. The zoomed area automatically jumps to the next line when you reach the end of a line. It supports regular text also, and has great cut, copy, and paste features. Works with the cheapest variety of touch styluses (the kind with the rubbery tips) or even your finger, so there's no expensive hardware to potentially lose.

Edit: it does support five of the major third-party hardware styluses like 53, Intuos, etc., so I mean you can use it that way too. But the Evernote and Dropbox integration and slick, easy, simple user interface really sets it apart IMHO. It's been around forever and is one of the most mature of these kinds of apps. Highly recommended!

PS — it uses an OpenGL based renderer so it is considerably less laggy to write with than any of the other ones I've tried, although many people wouldn't notice a difference. I certainly do. Its colord highlighters and support for regular typed text that always remains re-editable later is awesome.

My only problem with Noteshelf is that you cannot record audio. If I am in the middle of a meeting and want to record a bit of the audio, that can do that seems to be Notablility. It doesn't support my chosen stylus, the Pencil by FiftyThree. Noteshelf does.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
My only problem with Noteshelf is that you cannot record audio. If I am in the middle of a meeting and want to record a bit of the audio, that can do that seems to be Notablility. It doesn't support my chosen stylus, the Pencil by FiftyThree. Noteshelf does.

FWIW - Notes Plus does have audio recording, but unfortunately no Pencil support either.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
[/COLOR]

GoodNotes has a very smart palm rejection, it's close to perfect.

Noteshelf has this indicator that moves down automatically as you write, but is totally useless if you need a whole page to draw or sketch.

GoodNotes has the pinch to zoom right on the page, Noteshelf doesn't. As much as I would like to have it, oh well, I can't zoom on a real sheet of paper either :D[/QUOTE]

I don't really need all the pen options NoteShelf has usually. Most of my notes are science/math related which is why I like GoodNotes. The pinch zoom feature of GoodNotes is great too. If NoteShelf had that one feature I might change my opinion. I love the zoom feature.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for your suggestion, but...

I did consider a lot of styli for a long time, seen and read as many reviews as I could find. I went with the Apex for the soft tip, because I couldn't stand the constant ticking of a hard tip like the Adonit and other BT styli. Not to mention the stress I'd possibly cause my co-workers around me.

Besides, "try" means "buy", right? Uch - I've spent enough money on styli than ended up in a cardboard container :(

Your right I did mean buy. But most places allow you to return it if you don't like it. I actually bought my Adonit Jot Touch with pixel point as an open item from Amazon and saved 10 to 20 dollars.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Your right I did mean buy. But most places allow you to return it if you don't like it. I actually bought my Adonit Jot Touch with pixel point as an open item from Amazon and saved 10 to 20 dollars.

Most places, yes. Belgium? Hmm - not so sure.

Meanwhile, I'm rather happy to say I'm close to solving the problem with the Apex in GoodNotes. I had my sensitivity set to High, which worked well to distinct a fingertip from a rubber stylus. This evening, while driving home from work, all of a sudden it struck me: the Apex tip actually mimics a fingertip.
So, after I set GoodNotes' sensitivity to Normal, the Apex works a lot better :)
Strange how a 2mm tip should be considered as a finger, but it makes sense.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

All of those fine tip styli work by creating a field larger than the size of the tip that mimics the size of a finger. The tip is mostly for the user's sake as they have better feel and don't block your view as much. The software can't detect a touch point that small.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Most places, yes. Belgium? Hmm - not so sure.

Meanwhile, I'm rather happy to say I'm close to solving the problem with the Apex in GoodNotes. I had my sensitivity set to High, which worked well to distinct a fingertip from a rubber stylus. This evening, while driving home from work, all of a sudden it struck me: the Apex tip actually mimics a fingertip.
So, after I set GoodNotes' sensitivity to Normal, the Apex works a lot better :)

Could you order one from Amazon USA and ship it there?

One of the other settings for me in GoodNotes that made a significant difference was my hand position setting.

Glad you are having better luck.

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2007
Has anyone considered OneNote? I understand that a latest update includes stylus support. I will test it out when I can.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
All of those fine tip styli work by creating a field larger than the size of the tip that mimics the size of a finger. The tip is mostly for the user's sake as they have better feel and don't block your view as much. The software can't detect a touch point that small.

Exactly, but it took me a day or so to realize.

----------

Could you order one from Amazon USA and ship it there?

One of the other settings for me in GoodNotes that made a significant difference was my hand position setting.

Glad you are having better luck.

I ordered mine at Amazon UK: much faster and less transportation costs and no import taxes. In other words a huge difference (guessing about € 25).

----------

Has anyone considered OneNote? I understand that a latest update includes stylus support. I will test it out when I can.

I did test OneNote and Outline+. Both are great apps IMHO, and available on iOS and MacOS.
IMHO they're best at creating documents, including all kinds of media like pictures, web clippings, sketches now indeed, and to make nice looking page layouts. All I need is a page to enter notes, so I don't want to spend time moving around text objects. YMMV

Outline+ isn't for free (at all), but I liked it a lot better.
OneNote on Mac is a 500 MB app, hard to believe.

Both apps have gone a bit wild on their user interface. About 1/3 of the screen is filled with a sidebar, a ribbon, a page guide etc. Especially on an iPad, the actual working space is reduced for no good reason. The top area is just an empty black banner.

I quickly tested the stylus support in OneNote, it's very basic. There is no comparison to apps like GoodNotes or Noteshelf. Perhaps they just wanted to add a few markup tools, and they did that OK.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
So limited screen real estate

Exactly, but it took me a day or so to realize.

----------

I ordered mine at Amazon UK: much faster and less transportation costs and no import taxes. In other words a huge difference (guessing about € 25).

----------

I did test OneNote and Outline+. Both are great apps IMHO, and available on iOS and MacOS.
IMHO they're best at creating documents, including all kinds of media like pictures, web clippings, sketches now indeed, and to make nice looking page layouts. All I need is a page to enter notes, so I don't want to spend time moving around text objects. YMMV

Outline+ isn't for free (at all), but I liked it a lot better.
OneNote on Mac is a 500 MB app, hard to believe.

Both apps have gone a bit wild on their user interface. About 1/3 of the screen is filled with a sidebar, a ribbon, a page guide etc. Especially on an iPad, the actual working space is reduced for no good reason. The top area is just an empty black banner.

I quickly tested the stylus support in OneNote, it's very basic. There is no comparison to apps like GoodNotes or Noteshelf. Perhaps they just wanted to add a few markup tools, and they did that OK.

I agree with you that OneNote has a very reduced real estate, without a reason for this being so at all. A large area of the screen is deactivated and filled with bars and columns and such. No reason for this at all! The same is BTW the case with MS Word: You have problems with doing away with the damned columns on each side of the screen and with the ribbon at the top.

Let's have the option of having a REAL full screen.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I agree with you that OneNote has a very reduced real estate, without a reason for this being so at all. A large area of the screen is deactivated and filled with bars and columns and such. No reason for this at all! The same is BTW the case with MS Word: You have problems with doing away with the damned columns on each side of the screen and with the ribbon at the top.

Let's have the option of having a REAL full screen.

You hit the nail on the head with OneNote. There is not enough room for entry and the interface is much too complicated and busy. The whole point of the iPad/tablet is to simplify.

icekuma

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
MyScript Notes

I am using Adonit Jottouch Pixel Point with Notability and searching a better handwriting experience now.

I think there is not much progress/update for Notability. I am trying a few but a bit hesitant to spend money on GoodNotes or Noteshelf now without actually trying it out. unfortunately, nobody I know having those app.

I come across MyScript Notes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myscript-smart-note-handwriting/id477967083?mt=8) and found the writing experience is great (though once I connect the pen, it lags extremely bad). it works like a charm when jottouch is not connected! The best part that tempting me to move away from Notability is ability to search my handwriting

I am sure I am not the only one with this dilemma. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

cheers

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Goodnotes is worth every penny and recently added handwriting recognition.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I took a quick look at MyScript Notes.
Honestly, I like the app in general. Unique scrollbar concept, limited number of tools but enough to take notes. Original ink effect.
The palm rest is a bit passé IMHO, especially if you're used to working in p.e. GoodNotes or Noteshelf.

If you really need to search your handwriting, Noteshelf is off the table and GoodNotes is very good at it.
But then again, MyScript Notes proved to deciver my scribbles as well.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I like some of the features of NoteShelf. The inking is nice. The palm rejection works well. It exports and imports well.
But GoodNotes works so much better and is more consistent with its user interface. With my Jot Touch with Pixel point is is better then paper. I love the pinch zoom function on the page. I like the zoom window better as well. Finally, I discovered today that if I import an image you can even crop it!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I like some of the features of NoteShelf. The inking is nice. The palm rejection works well. It exports and imports well.
But GoodNotes works so much better and is more consistent with its user interface. With my Jot Touch with Pixel point is is better then paper. I love the pinch zoom function on the page. I like the zoom window better as well. Finally, I discovered today that if I import an image you can even crop it!

What's even more, the images are saved on what I'd call a separate layer of the document - so that whatever you write over it remains on yet another layer.
GoodNotes has a similar management of the strokes you make with a marker: once drawn, it's automatically stored on it's own layer and then moved back underneath the layer that holds your actual text notes.
It's probably as complex as I make it sound, because - as the downside - it slows down the app. Not at first, but once your notebook holds 20+ pages, you better stay away from the Marker tool.

In Noteshelf, everything (pen, marker, images...) is piled one on top of the other, and flattened onto one single layer of pixels. Import an image, draw a line over it then erase it and boom! part of the image is gone as well.
Draw a Marker line over a text, and you'll see how it makes the text a wee blurry and less crisp.
Sometimes this approach is less what I'd want, but... Noteshelf remains on top speed and responsiveness.

Choices...

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
What's even more, the images are saved on what I'd call a separate layer of the document - so that whatever you write over it remains on yet another layer.
GoodNotes has a similar management of the strokes you make with a marker: once drawn, it's automatically stored on it's own layer and then moved back underneath the layer that holds your actual text notes.
It's probably as complex as I make it sound, because - as the downside - it slows down the app. Not at first, but once your notebook holds 20+ pages, you better stay away from the Marker tool.

In Noteshelf, everything (pen, marker, images...) is piled one on top of the other, and flattened onto one single layer of pixels. Import an image, draw a line over it then erase it and boom! part of the image is gone as well.
Draw a Marker line over a text, and you'll see how it makes the text a wee blurry and less crisp.
Sometimes this approach is less what I'd want, but... Noteshelf remains on top speed and responsiveness.

Choices...

Wow, Thanks. I didn't realize that. I don't usually use many photos or colors so I had not noticed that. I am not a big highlighter either. But even on the PDF's I have imported into GoodNotes, I often highlight and have not appreciated the slow down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.