Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
While I understand the sentiment of wanting Apple's ecosystem broken up, what I don't understand is Apple isn't the same case as the android system and shouldn't be as cut and dry. Google made Android open source and allowed phone companies to reskin and develop on top of it, so it makes sense that there are multiple stores and other things when something is open source. Apple makes its product from bottom to top, potential legislation like this cannot be just against Apple if the government wants to do this or else they will have to go after every company that builds 100% of their products. Examples like Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. I know that Microsoft has their store in a way where purchased games can be played on Xbox and PC, but you still can't just have whatever store on your Xbox and you are still locked to Microsoft.

All these companies that build the product, the operating system, everything need different rules if there are going to be rules. I understand Apple is a large company, but when it comes down to the product like these remarks with the iPhone and iPad you have to look at the others too because all of these remarks apply to the game consoles and many other products that are 100% designed and made by one company. I can't use whatever browser I want on my Nintendo Switch, heck they make it hard to even access the browser and whatever isn't on their eShop or a physical cartridge is a nogo. These are no different than Apple, Just make sideloading possible for all devices, allow the companies to put in waivers or disclosures agreement popups something to acknowledge if you want to sideload or not and any warranties that may be voided. The browser one is honestly tricky, because I know devs find Apple's webkit annoying, but it is literally the only thing keeping a chrome based monopoly of browsers, so I don't know how to handle this one honestly. As for preinstalled apps, I don't see a problem with it with the exception of paid deals like Facebook being preinstalled on some androids, OEM pre installs should be fine with the ability to remove all if desired.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Will be interesting to see how far "sideloading" will have to be allowed to go like there is a difference between installing ... let's say an App like Duolingo from another source (in its own sandbox with no access to anything outside of it) or to download a Tweak that has access to the iOS "core" to change things like fonts and system functionalities (think JB) over all
The latter is only possible when there are unfixed iOS security bugs. Apps are sandboxed, and sideloading won't change that. It's in Apple's power to ensure that sideloading doesn't cause security issues.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
fantastic news. bring the hammer down on apple and break them up.
I think the news is good, but why break Apple up? They are the only ones who build their products. The Mac clones have been long dead (Steve killed it) and no one else makes products that run macOS and iOS (all the variants). Wouldn’t breaking up Apple kill its hardware/software marriage? I think if they broke up Apple… just shut the whole thing down at that point, it wouldn’t be the same. The company would become separate entities and unable to work together by law (if they were broken up).

The only plus I see is users will get some choices with their iOS based devices from Apple.

Reactions: Sikh and cyanite

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Last edited:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Hard to argue with what they are saying... but I love my Apple ecosystem... so hands-off. People have alternatives to Apple.

Yes they do but just because there may be alternatives does not mean a company with a major share of a market (iOS has about 58% of the mobile OS market in the U.S.) should be allowed to engage in (potentially) anticompetitive behavior. There were desktop OS alternatives to Windows in the 1990s but that didn't prevent the DOJ from going after Microsoft.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
About time.

I spend over £1000 to open my device, I should be able to pick my default apps and side load apps without being burped and hugged by Apple’s creepy old men who decide what we should be allowed to view on something I’ve paid for.

iOS isn’t a service, it’s childish software that should work like macOS and android.

Side loading works perfectly on android, you get warnings and a switch to block it.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Thanks, big government. Please ruin my user experience by adding multiple App Stores, payments systems, and malware to iOS.Let people use Android (or actually some open source mod of Android, since Google also restricts these things) if they want a free-for-all crap fest akin to the classic Windows user experience.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
I wish the iPhone worked exactly like a Mac. I'm living temporarily in another country and I can't download a few important local apps, because they are not available at my home country's App Store. The only option is to switch region, which I'm avoiding, as I would first have to undo a family group and cancel all my subscriptions. Would be nice to be able to simply download a .dmg file on Safari.
No, that isn’t your only option. You create an account in your new country and can select gift card instead of credit card as payment method. You can log out of your home store and into temporary country store and install what you need then log back in to home country.

How do I know? I live in 2 countries for the last 7 years.

I’ve complained to Apple many times they should make it like how Apple TV works but I am always ignored.

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
Concerns have been raised in regards of Android as well. This research wasnt Apple exclusive
Yes but android specific to the company google and samsung etc. DO not restrict your ability to use alternative payments and they allow you to sideload at your own risk and install other app stores willingly.

You have to approve it and acknowledge it on the device to enable those features but they are there and not hidden.

Most of the concerns listed for apple, google does not have.

Most of googles issues with regulators is based around advertising and how default apps are required to be pre loaded for manufacturers if the manufacture wants to use specific versions from google.

Also on the topic of safety and security people say malware will be put on it. Have not ran into profiles etc. There are apps and websites that have you pre load a profile on an iphone and boom full access to all your ****. Literally. And all it requires is entering your phones passcode and nearly all the people do not even know its on there controlling **** installing vpns and dns in order to deliver specific content to the iphone users.

People just do not know the concerns they say why they dont want sideloading.. is ALREADY occuring.

and people can choose NOT to sideload thats whats stupid. it would change NOTHING about their safety and security.

**** putting a MDM profile on a phone like the iphones current way of getting malware/ip/dns changes is significantly more invasive than some malware on android without root. That profile on iPhone is basically root level access to all your **** without root.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Give me my game emulator. I know you can currently side load it with altstore, but if it were more mainstream then developers would improve them more, we could put our save files on OneDrive or iCloud Drive, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.