Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
No, that isn’t your only option. You create an account in your new country and can select gift card instead of credit card as payment method. You can log out of your home store and into temporary country store and install what you need then log back in to home country.

How do I know? I live in 2 countries for the last 7 years.

I’ve complained to Apple many times they should make it like how Apple TV works but I am always ignored.
This is brilliant. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Hard to argue with what they are saying... but I love my Apple ecosystem... so hands-off. People have alternatives to Apple.
Exactly.

I didn't like the lockdown on the iPhone ecosystem - so I didn't buy an iPhone.
If Apple extends the lockdown too far into MacOS I'll stop using Macs.
I'm a grown up and can make my choice.

I'm almost on the point of re-considering - since starting to use a phone for e-banking and payments is becoming harder to avoid and I trust Apple slightly further than I trust Google/Samsung/Huawai etc. and I certainly don't want to install questionable third-party software on a phone I use for banking and ID.

I remember the "dark days" of the 1990s when it was a massive uphill struggle to use anything other than Wintel PCs and Internet Explorer. The current phone situation is nothing like that - there's a decent choice between iPhone, "Google experience" Android, "generic" Android and even a few Linux/Ubuntu phones, and most of the major Apps & services support at least iOS and Android.

...and, as for third-party payments, if Apple allow third-party payments in the App store then they won't get a nickel for any "freemium" apps they distribute which pretty much breaks the financial model.

Imagine you could walk into a store, pick up an Acme Widgetmaster, then phone Acme directly with your credit card number - how would the store finance itself without getting a slice of purchases? ANS: by monitoring your every move and selling your personal data to marketers. Remind you of anybody else with a large share of the smartphone market?

Of course, back in the good old days you could hack around with your PC and if you broke it you got to keep both parts, and if you installed malware you mostly just lost your own data (as being connected 24/7 to the internet was the exception rather than the rule). Today, smartphones have become security critical devices used for banking, ID verification etc. and installing malware has consequences. They probably need locking down even harder, not liberalising. If you want to hack around, choose the tool for the job - a linux PC or "maker-board", not a consumer appliance - and don't do your e-Banking on it.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I want the Xbox store on my PlayStation! In fact, I’m going to open a target distribution center in Walmart.

The government is not forcing Apple to allow alternative app stores inside their App Store. Besides, when you consider all of the national/regional retail chains and independent local stores out there, Walmart’s market share is fairly small compared to Apple's share of mobile OS. Apple (iOS) and Google (Android) are potentially impacted by this legislation because of their dominance in mobile OS.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hard to argue with what they are saying... but I love my Apple ecosystem... so hands-off. People have alternatives to Apple.
Pretty darn easy to argue with what they're saying. In fact, you've made a good argument against it right here.

Apple customers aren't lobbying government to make these changes. They are, for the most part, happy, which is why they are Apple customers instead of Android users.

It's companies like Epic Games (Fornite) that want to profit from iPhone's marketplace but not play by Apple's rules that are driving these supposedly consumer-focused plans. They accuse Apple of being "greedy". Fine, Apple is greedy, whatever. But so are Epic and the others, who want all the benefits of being on Apple platforms but don't want to play by the rules, so they whine to and lobby Congress and administrations to change the rules, while pretending their just sticking up for the little guy. This is baptists and bootleggers in action.

You're right; they should keep their hands off, butt out, and let consumers make their own decisions. The last thing we need is government stepping in to "help". Their dream phone would be one with no first party apps installed, and a long list of questions: Which browser would you like to install? Which email client do you want to use? Which of 50 apps stores would you like to shop? Congratulations, your phone is now ready to use, 10 hours later!

Grr, it's hard not to argue with what they're saying. It's such utter BS from clueless people who think that they can run large, successful, and popular technology firms when they can't come even remotely close to balancing a budget. Apple (and Google) is immensely popular; the same cannot be said of politicians and bureaucrats.

(My complaints, by the way, are not in anyway limited to the Biden administration. They apply to both parties, and both the executive and legislative branches).

I realize I'm ranting at this point, but this crap ticks me off. Apple et al are successful because people, for the most part, like them. Stop trying to screw this up!

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Soon it will be easier to list the countries that aren’t investigating Apple for anticompetitive behavior.
It’s not anticompetitive in fact in a way it’s pro consumer. I have a choice between a closed system Apple and open system Android. Now this takes my choice away. Only a handful of users on this site are asking for this that just want to run emulators (most common request I have seen in this topic over the years). Other than that it’s just big companies wanting more money. It won’t help us.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
None of this is irrational, as far as findings go. And if it comes down to it, Apple will find ways to oblige while still maintaining control of the OS.

Isn't iOS programmed in such a way that an app exists in a sort of "walled space", where its functionality is bound to only itself, and not affected by or able to affect other apps? Or at least, not without express permission?

Because I can totally see something like the above being implemented (if it isn't already) so that while allowing apps from outside sources, their functionality will always be just shy of perfect compared to Apple's own in-house variants.
Well how will stores work? Epic wants to implement their own store. If an app (store) can’t maintain/edit/manipulate another app due to the sandbox model, how can a store work?

Reactions: robco74 and jdb8167

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
so I see google payments to the government did not see any disruption. They were like we know how to kill apple make them look just like our crappy platform then people will have to choose us and we shall get all there data perfect..... said in a megalomaniac voice....

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Well how will stores work? Epic wants to implement their own store. If an app (store) can’t maintain/edit/manipulate another app due to the sandbox model, how can a store work?
I don't know, that's why I asked the general question. 😂

I'm sure there's someone in the forum with a lot more technical knowhow who could explain the intricacies of iOS. All the same, any change brought about from the results of this investigation won't affect us for years to come anyway.

And the extent to which it affects us is still unknown, if at all. So I really don't feel too bothered by any of the doom-posting.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I remember my MotoRazer V3 Elite was app locked and I couldn’t install apps outside those available on my carrier.

I remember BlackBerry didn’t allowed me to sideload apps outside the ones on their app portal.

I don’t remember the government going such lengths to allow me to do so.

Maybe there were less companies dictating the world’s politics back in the day.

macdisciple

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2016
USA
I’ll plan to explain to my Mom this weekend about side loading apps on her iPhone and the merits of various browsers and mail apps so she can make informed decisions.
Glad your mom has offspring that understands the implications and is willing to provide her with helpful guidance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sikh

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Article should be updated to include that they aren't very happy with how Google are doing things either. Big difference is that Google does allow sideloading, but limits in other ways. This is not only an issue the US Government has with Apple.
Thanks for pointing this out. People forget this fact because “yay let’s HATE APPLE!!!!” Epic sued Google because it’s “too difficult to side load on Android devices”.

Reactions: robco74 and jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.