Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT! DO SOMETHING! You want legislation, put out an executive order for one just like you did with Right to Repair. It's not hard. This is why the EU is laughing at us.

Aw yes, the executive order. The epitome of a democracy. :rolleyes:

Apple should just do 80% of what they're asking voluntarily and then they'll shut up.

Reactions: gusmula

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Hard to argue with what they are saying... but I love my Apple ecosystem... so hands-off. People have alternatives to Apple.

Actually just one: Google. That’s it. Over 90% of the phones that aren’t iphones use Android. That’s not good. These giants need to be broken up. We need more alternatives. What about those of us who dislike both Apple and Android? guess we’re going to have to settle with living without a phone.

Reactions: xpxp2002

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
This is as insane as it is stupid. Apple has a minority of market share compared to Android and should not be subject to any monopolist targeting measures. They also created their entire market from scratch and should do with it as they please. Let consumers vote with their wallets. This is completely unAmerican and anti-capitalist.

What’s next? Forcing separation of the hardware and the software so users can install Android on an iPhone?

Here’s an idea: Car manufacturers should build cars that allow steering wheels between different companies to be hot-swappable!

Reactions: gusmula

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I want to stay in my walled garden and I want to keep my family there. I’m sure Apple will find a way for that to happen. I’ll put money the implementation offering some sort of low security mode with a million ‘are you sure?’ pop ups.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love how some people still think JOE BIDEN is a 'good president' 2 years after nonstop catastrophe and decay in the West. And when there's failure, it's always 'incompetence' or 'congress' - no room for further debate or nuance. Inconceivable that it's being willfully done, even though he's a WEF/OSF globalist diehard.

A much poorer nation that refuses to acknowledge what a recession (and soon a depression) is, impending WW3 and nuclear war, wide open borders, runaway cost of living increases with inflation, installed DA's siding with violent criminals not victims, child abuse and indoctrination in schools, the list goes on and on and on... I wonder what's next.

I preferred mean tweets, but you do you on 24/7 mental gymnastics to make this all a good or even benign thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
If you don't like how it is, buy an Android. I think the government has better things to do.

So, you’re saying that as long as there is an alternative, two companies should be allowed to engage in anticompetitive behavior in a market they dominate?

Apple should be able to do whatever it wants with iOS because there is Android and Google should be able to do whatever it wants with Android because there is iOS?

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
"If you like the plan you have, you can keep it. If you like the app store you have, you can keep your app store, too. The only change you’ll see are falling costs as our reforms take hold."

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
It's funny. I wonder if any govt agency in any country had these same concerns back when the app store was first announced.

They may have but the mobile OS market wasn’t dominated by just two major players back then. The government doesn't tend to get involved (and even then, it can take a while) unless a market becomes overpowered or too controlled by one or two or so players.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Reason why I do not want sideloading is that it makes the iPhone less secure and owners of the iPhone cannot lock it down totally for the users they assign the smartphone to.

Jailbreaking was only useful if you wanted to add functionality but overtime these functionalties was added to iOS so end users have less use for them.

Android is a better platform for those who want this flexibility. People who buy into Android accept its security flaws.
🤣

Where do I even start with this.

Bet you literally take everything said at a keynote as gospel.

Kazgarth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2020
This is as insane as it is stupid. Apple has a minority of market share compared to Android and should not be subject to any monopolist targeting measures. They also created their entire market from scratch and should do with it as they please. Let consumers vote with their wallets. This is completely unAmerican and anti-capitalist.

What’s next? Forcing separation of the hardware and the software so users can install Android on an iPhone?

Here’s an idea: Car manufacturers should build cars that allow steering wheels between different companies to be hot-swappable!

HUH?

Reactions: M3gatron

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Can't wait for sideloading on PlayStation, because for sure they wouldn't only over-regulate mobile appstores, right? Right?

If someone wants to acquire a PlayStation game, there are numerous stores and websites they can easily go to and ways they can pay. They can also buy privately ("used").

By comparison, Apple is far more restrictive with the iPhone/iOS.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
🤣

Where do I even start with this.

Bet you literally take everything said at a keynote as gospel.
Not every one is a super nerd that can defend against what I mentioned.

I'd prefer Biden make right of repair & user replaceable batteries a bigger priority.

It would extend the life of smartphone, tablet, laptop and desktop ~1 decade.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I'm having fun thinking how this article would have been written and the comments had it been "Trump Administration Report Recommends..." 😄

Heads would have exploded. Heck just Trump originally going after TikTok had everyone up in arms. Not to mention all the censoring the Biden administration was a part of working with Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. during the COVID years. Makes you wonder what they're up to? 🧐

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I love how some people still think JOE BIDEN is a 'good president' 2 years after nonstop catastrophe and decay in the West. And when there's failure, it's 'incompetence' or 'congress.' Inconceivable that it's being willfully done, even though he's a WEF/OSF globalist diehard.

A much poorer nation that refuses to acknowledge what a recession (and soon a depression) is, impending WW3 and nuclear war, wide open borders, runaway cost of living increases with inflation, DA's siding with criminals not victims, child abuse and indoctrination in schools, the list goes on and on and on...

I preferred mean tweets.

So you think there is a person out there, just waiting to become the perfect next president?
Sorry for destroying your illusion, but nobody will ever be able to satisfy a whole nation, and any president/party will make good and wrong decisions.

Regarding the poverty in the USA, that's not a party or president issue, that's a core issue that exist since many centuries.

Nor Biden, nor Trump, nor [insert name here] will be able to fix that in the USA anytime soon, this requires a core nationwide mindset flip. People cheering Apple (just another unimportant company in the timeline of humanity) shows that America is not ready for fixing this yet.

Actually the whole humanity is not ready to fix this yet and probably never will be.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
fantastic news. bring the hammer down on apple and break them up.
well, the devil is in the details. legislation is needed, congress is divided and 98% of lawmakers are bought off by our system of legalized bribery via campaign donations and superPAC dark money by big tech and they'll never vote against their owner donors. #america

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
How about no...if you want that, you have options. Apple does not have a monopoly on smartphones, tablets or computers. If people arn't happy with the Apple ecosystem they can leave. The things sleepy joe is wanting to change is the reason I use apple. Typical big government bs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
So you think there is a person out there, just waiting to become the perfect next president?
Sorry for destroying your illusion, but nobody will ever be able to satisfy a whole nation, and any president/party will make good and wrong decisions.

Regarding the poverty in the USA, that's not a party or president issue, that's a core issue that exist since many centuries.

Nor Biden, nor Trump, nor [insert name here] will be able to fix that in the USA anytime soon, this requires a core nationwide mindset fiip. People cheering Apple (just another unimportant company in the timeline of humanity) shows that America is not ready for fixing this yet.

Actually the whole humanity is not ready to fix this yet and probably never will be.

I'm glad you accept egregiously sub par performance as 'so... you want a perfect president?'

No, I am an adult I don't need to be coddled in every facet of my life by some imaginative tooth fairy, or be forced to listen to nonstop random generic speeches about emotions to make me instantly forget about the garbage policies they put forth that are incongruent with everything they purport to be about, simply because 'it's the cool thing to do' and to fit in. I will easily settle for someone who ideologically wants US to succeed and be strong and better, not to fail, and be weaker and worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

mookc1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2014
So, you’re saying that as long as there is an alternative, two companies should be allowed to engage in anticompetitive behavior in a market they dominate?

Apple should be able to do whatever it wants with iOS because there is Android and Google should be able to do whatever it wants with Android because there is iOS?
Pretty much. Things are fine just the way they are. To your point, there are always alternatives, and not just these two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.