Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have a regular iPhone 13 and the screen is big enough. I also have an official MagSafe battery pack which gives me more than enough juice to last an entire day of heavy use. I own an M1 MacBook Air but have only used it a handful of times in the year I’ve owned it. This proves to me that the iPhone is the only computer I need.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd like an iPhone somewhere between the size of the current Pro Max phones and an iPad Mini. But Apple doesn't consult me so that's unlikely to happen.

For me, I sit in front of a computer with eight attached displays for over 16 hours a day. There is very little use of my iPhones outside the house. But when out, I find the iPhone woefully inadequate compared to eight displays, a keyboard and a mouse. I will keep my real, dedicated computers.

HSVBamaBob

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.
I think that’s what the iPad mini equipped with cellular and Wi-Fi is for😁🙏

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Just.... get an iPad Mini with Cellular?
I think that’s what the iPad mini equipped with cellular and Wi-Fi is for😁🙏

I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.
You could always add the Google Voice app and use a Google number. Or use Facetime audio only.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
You could always add the Google Voice app and use a Google number. Or use Facetime audio only.

This is a comprised experience at best.

More importantly, Google Voice is not available in Canada. Secondly, most One Time Verification Code won’t work with VOIP numbers.

Secondly, my phone number has been used for more than 15 years, I don’t want change phone number and porting number to VOIP is PITA and it is also impossible to port number out.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like you could use a foldable smartphone like the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5.

It has a 6.2-inch external display, but when you open it up, you get a 7.6-inch display.
Was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned a foldable.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use an iPhone SE. It's way too big and all the iPhones are oversized. Remember when phones fit in a single hand and trouser pockets? Those were the days.
I have an 11 Pro Max. It fits in my trouser pockets. Of course, my trouser pockets tend to be attached to either Dickies carpenter pants or carpenter shorts and not the kind of trousers you'd wear with a suit and tie. I have plenty of pocket space.

My problem is that my 11PM tends to get sideways in my back pocket.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I just cannot fathom the need for anything bigger than the Pro Max phones. I swear some people would like an 84" OLED TV with cellular connectivity strapped to their head!

Why would you think Pro Max would be the limit on screen limit? Who said 7 inch phone is too big?

I mean if there are group of people love small screen, what is wrong with people liking bigger screen.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002

Why Every iPhone model? I admit that I'm one of those loyal fans of the Mini and I'm sad to see it go, but I do get why some people want bigger phones. But why can't we just have a regular size, or dare I say it, smaller size for those who just want their phone to be, you know, a phone, and then make the Pro Max ultra-supersized for those who want the biggest phone ever?

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Current iphones are more than big enough, as I am sick of their
ever-increasing size. Don’t give Apple the idea. Now they might come out with an 8” phone. Seriously, use an iPad, even a wi-fi model, via a wireless hotspot from your phone. Incoming calls will roll over to the iPad, or make outgoing calls using Facetime.

Last edited:

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
My new company is called “Vault-Tec”…can I interest you big phone chaps in my new range of Pip-Boys?

Vault-Tec calling 💥

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Why Every iPhone model? I admit that I'm one of those loyal fans of the Mini and I'm sad to see it go, but I do get why some people want bigger phones. But why can't we just have a regular size, or dare I say it, smaller size for those who just want their phone to be, you know, a phone, and then make the Pro Max ultra-supersized for those who want the biggest phone ever?

I think this is bond to happen. The iPhone 16 Pro will see size increase and it is almost guaranteed that regular iPhone 17 will see size increase as well.

So this will be dram line up: iPhone Pro Max will 7”, iPhone Pro will 6.7”, iPhone Plus will be 6.5” and Regular iPhone will be 6.3”, iPhone SE with 6.1 inch.

I believe Apple should also produce foldable, with triple fold to 8 inch or 9 inch.

iPad line should be 15”, 13”, iPad Air 13”, regular iPad will be 11 inch and iPad mini would be same size I guess. I serious think 17 inch iPad should also be available.

• Haha
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002

I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.
I don't mean to be rude but have you considered that maybe your problem was your choice of airline and not the biggest iPhone being "too small" ?

I realize full service airlines can be/seem frustratingly expensive for certain routes (especially on short notice,) but it sounds like you were trying to work while traveling in which case your problem really comes down to not having the right tools for the job at hand (due to only being able to bring a single backpack for a full weeks trip!) An iPhone with a bigger screen and battery would only make the experience less bad, it still wouldn't make it good.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.
This is why I use an iPad mini/Cellular + Apple Pencil and leave my phone behind 90% of the time (unless I'm going somewhere formal and need something small and slim to slip in a pocket incognito). The Mini is the smallest display I want to look at spreadsheets, drawings & notation on, while still fitting in most jacket pockets & *just* slips in the rear pockets of most dress pants & even some jeans. While driving, the en-route GPS on such a big display makes the iphone a permanent bag-dweller. I have a skype number that costs me about $30 for a year of phone service. From 2010 through 2022 skype on ipad was my only phone service and will be again soon. The Skype app was clearly designed by a room full of monkeys on typewriters, but it does work.
...I got better battery life out of the mini 5 because it only turns on when you hit the home (or power) button, whereas the buttonless 6 would turn on any time it detected movement, so even when walking or in a bag it'd be on and burn up its battery halfway through the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmcbhi

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I don't mean to be rude but have you considered that maybe your problem was your choice of airline and not the biggest iPhone being "too small" ?

I realize full service airlines can be/seem frustratingly expensive for certain routes (especially on short notice,) but it sounds like you were trying to work while traveling in which case your problem really comes down to not having the right tools for the job at hand (due to only being able to bring a single backpack for a full weeks trip!) An iPhone with a bigger screen and battery would only make the experience less bad, it still wouldn't make it good.
100%, my exact thoughts while reading this thread 😂
Just pay the extra and bring the correct tools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.