Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Upon reading the replies, I think some of you guys are correct.

There is no need to increase size of every iPhone model, leaving some model in existing size would be fine. Therefore I hope there is Pro Max Ultra or just increase size or Pro Max or Plus.

However, I still refuse using iPad mini as stop gap. I want carry one devices, not 2. This is also the reason I use Microsoft Surface, I want one devices for both computer and tablet at sometime, if I need to use one.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.
That's what iPads are for... personally, I think it (the iPhone Pro Max series) are big enough in form factor. It's a phone and as such, should not balloon to the size of a tablet.

As for battery... there are numerous portable battery options available that are slim enough to be added to your backpack and charge even a Pro Max multiple times. Can this not get you thru the day?

Trying to figure out how you travel to another city for a week with only a single backpack. (I guess you stuff a change of clothes or two in there as well?)

Just my opinion..

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
However, I still refuse using iPad mini as stop gap. I want carry one devices, not 2.
You said you are carrying two devices, though - an iPhone 13 Pro Max and a Google Pixel 7 Pro. So...
  • Leave one phone at home and bring a power bank instead, if your space is honestly at such a premium.
  • Pay for the ability to bring a carryon (Flair's prices start at $29)
  • Book a flight on an airline that allows you to bring the items you want.
  • iPad Mini, as others have suggested.
But the answer to what you want does not involve Apple changing their iPhone lineup as you suggest, just for you.

Reactions: saber32au

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Upon reading the replies, I think some of you guys are correct.

There is no need to increase size of every iPhone model, leaving some model in existing size would be fine. Therefore I hope there is Pro Max Ultra or just increase size or Pro Max or Plus.

However, I still refuse using iPad mini as stop gap. I want carry one devices, not 2. This is also the reason I use Microsoft Surface, I want one devices for both computer and tablet at sometime, if I need to use one.
You like to use a Microsoft Surface and carry an iPhone, but you don’t want to use an iPad Mini and carry an iPhone? 🤔

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'd like an iPhone somewhere between the size of the current Pro Max phones and an iPad Mini. But Apple doesn't consult me so that's unlikely to happen.

For me, I sit in front of a computer with eight attached displays for over 16 hours a day. There is very little use of my iPhones outside the house. But when out, I find the iPhone woefully inadequate compared to eight displays, a keyboard and a mouse. I will keep my real, dedicated computers.
I'm not quite that extreme, but that's why I have an iPhone Mini. There's just no reason to try and carry around an 8" tablet everywhere, when I have so many large screens at home - so instead I take the bare minimum; phone, text, banking apps. Everything else can be done from a giant screen with a mouse and keyboard.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not quite that extreme, but that's why I have an iPhone Mini. There's just no reason to try and carry around an 8" tablet everywhere, when I have so many large screens at home - so instead I take the bare minimum; phone, text, banking apps. Everything else can be done from a giant screen with a mouse and keyboard.
I just am and always have been partial to larger screens, hence my current primary, an 11 Pro Max. But, even at that size I'm not consuming media or doing work on it.

Smaller phones I either tend to misplace more or drop more. And I don't use cases, so that can be a problem.

Reactions: fatTribble

jediandrew97

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.
For a lot of people I think the current Max size is already big enough. Even if you go larger to get literally double the battery capacity would also mean a much thicker and heavier phone. The 16 Pro Max is rumored to get a size bump to 6.9 inches and the smaller Pro will be 6.3

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
You like to use a Microsoft Surface and carry an iPhone, but you don’t want to use an iPad Mini and carry an iPhone? 🤔

I usually leave Microsoft Surface at home and only carry phones with me out about. Surface is almost always on my desk or at bed before I am sleep.

Reactions: fatTribble

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.
Your iPad mini can make calls using handoff to an iPhone?

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Fr is this a troll post?

People are begging Apple to make SMALLER iPhones.

Did anyone ever remember how people communicated in 2000s? Every one had small phone with keys in their pockets and it was so easy to answer calls with this. Thats it. Now most people don’t even talk by holding iPhone near their ear…like a usual phone. They talk via AirPods which is not really convenient for some other people.

Should we get back to the 90s when people had large slates in their faces?

1713557578378.jpeg

It is not even aesthetic. ITS A PHONE after all. It must be small. Smaaal. Not large.

1713557856615.jpeg

Look at this! This is the art in terms of industrial design. The iPhone 5. As a hobbyist photographer with 15 years of experience, iPhone 5 was my favorite shooter. Better than any point-and-shoot. Because it was light as paper.

All people are different and have different demands but… C’MON, please. There is MacBook, iPad, anything.

And don’t do your work on iPhone. Thank me later. I have been working as SMM Manager with my iPhone 11 Pro for 1.5 years and my vision dropped significantly. Not saying it was good already, but I suspect those OLED PWM screens are not as safe as everyone tries to paint them as

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.
Yes because it dosent make sense from a business and product perspective

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Sounds like someone forgot the iPad Mini exists?

I doubt anybody forgot. The iPad mini lacks an earpiece. The camera sensor is from iPhone XR. Apps like WhatsApp aren't available on iPadOS.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I doubt anybody forgot. The iPad mini lacks an earpiece. The camera sensor is from iPhone XR. Apps like WhatsApp aren't available on iPadOS.

Other messaging apps working perfectly on the iPad Mini/iPadOS.

And why would I need an earpiece on an iPad mini? After all it’s not a phone…

As for the camera sensor, that's the last thing I care about, I can count on one hand how many times I used the camera since having the Mini.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It’s because nobody uses an iPad as an iPhone due to the hardware differences. Kinda chicken and egg situation.
Nope. Don't confuse usage with opportunity. If the developers built the app for iPadOS, it would be there for whoever wanted it. The fact that they didn't is why there's no WhatsApp users on the iPad platform.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I would love a larger iPhone. I've been saying it for a few years now that I'd like an iPhone in the range of ~7-7.4"

This year seems like it will get a slightly bigger screen but I hope by the time I upgrade Apple will break the 7" size.

6.7" isn't bad but I wish it was bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.