Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Many here still call the fold a "gimmick" until Apple releases their own version, then it will become a "must have".

Very true.

I've used my friends one for a bit - it's very, very impressive. A bit chunky but it's not like the iPhone 15 pro max is svelte really is it?

You'd think the foldable technology is now at a point where apple can do something really nice with it. It's great to be able to open the device to small tablet size to watch videos, have calls, or even get a proper look at a document.

• Haha
Reactions: Bethanie21

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.

iPhone Pro Max are for kids, get yourself Apple Watch for calls and iPad Mini, or even better, iPad Pro 12.9” for the rest of your “work”, shove it into your pocket and leave us alone.

No one needs bigger iPhones, unless you’re a lifeless kid that plugged 24/7 to all these nonsense “social” apps.

The correct lineup is more then fine for daily usage, and anyways the up coming iPhones will grow a bit… if already, they should add a smaller 5.4-5.8” iPhone version for people that just want to carry a phone, not tablets.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhone Pro Max are for kids, get yourself Apple Watch for calls and iPad Mini, or even better, iPad Pro 12.9” for the rest of your “work”, shove it into your pocket and leave us alone.

No one needs bigger iPhones, unless you’re a lifeless kid that plugged 24/7 to all these nonsense “social” apps.

The correct lineup is more then fine for daily usage, and anyways the up coming iPhones will grow a bit… if already, they should add a smaller 5.4-5.8” iPhone version for people that just want to carry a phone, not tablets.
I abandoned this philosophy of only getting/using what I need as a kid. It got in the way of getting what I want. And most of the time what I want is more than sufficient for what I need.

I win both ways and I'm not miserable by settling for only what I need.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.
But you could make calls and send text messages with your phone, while using the iPad Mini for the other stuff. That would split your tasks between batteries. And a Mini would barely add any weight to your backpack.

I get that you're looking for a one-device solution for your travel, but this seems like a reasonable compromise.

Reactions: geta

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
I would love iPad mini with ability to make phone calls and send text messages. But Apple just refused to add such capability.

I remember back in old days, Samsung had mini tablets that had ability to make phone calls and send text messages.
I can't speak for you, but I use my iPad to make phone calls and send and receive texts daily. You might check your settings.
FWIW, I definitely prefer my iPhone 13 mini rather than the large phones.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023

Get a smaller iPhone for your daily use and pair it with an iPad mini. Believe me if there was a market for what you're after it would be there and Apple would not miss making money from it.

There is no demand for this need that you identified in your use.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Recently, I have fly to Vancouver for a trip for a week. I booked the ticket with Flair Airline, which only allows a single personal backpack. So I travelled light, with only few essential items. I didn't travel with my laptop or iPads.

Only phones carried with me were iPhone 13 Pro Max and Google Pixel 7 Pro, which are large phones in beginning with. However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. Everything is done on the phone.

And boy, the screen is small. The more I use iPhone 13 Pro Max, the more I feel bigger iPhone is needed and bigger battery needed as well. I feel 7" iPhone should be produced with double amount of battery capacity.

Every iPhone model down to regular iPhone should see size increase. Current iPhone line up is too small.

Living in both the iOS and Android world, I have recently started using an Honor Magic V2 (foldable). The ability to open that device and use its bigger real estate has been an eye opener. A book style foldable iPhone would be a boon IMO.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I don't mean to be rude but have you considered that maybe your problem was your choice of airline and not the biggest iPhone being "too small" ?

I realize full service airlines can be/seem frustratingly expensive for certain routes (especially on short notice,) but it sounds like you were trying to work while traveling in which case your problem really comes down to not having the right tools for the job at hand (due to only being able to bring a single backpack for a full weeks trip!) An iPhone with a bigger screen and battery would only make the experience less bad, it still wouldn't make it good.
Off topic, for those who don't know, Flair Airlines is a Canadian ULCC, basically Spirit Airlines but better and more reliable. (I've flown with them almost exclusively in the past 2 years, and had almost no issues with them.)

Reactions: eyoungren

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
To each their own, but I‘m still holding onto my iphone mini13, which imho could even be a tad smaller. I strongly disagree with “every iPhone should be bigger“. If I want some light computing or reading done, I take my iPad with me. An iphone, even a ridiculously big plus or pro max is still too small for that (and too big for a phone at the same time). In my opinion a phone should fit into a jeans pocket while producing the smallest bulging as possible - and every point of the screen should be reachable with the one hand you‘re holding the phone with. It‘s a communications device, that‘s also a small computer - not the other way round.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I don't mean to be rude but have you considered that maybe your problem was your choice of airline and not the biggest iPhone being "too small" ?

I realize full service airlines can be/seem frustratingly expensive for certain routes (especially on short notice,) but it sounds like you were trying to work while traveling in which case your problem really comes down to not having the right tools for the job at hand (due to only being able to bring a single backpack for a full weeks trip!) An iPhone with a bigger screen and battery would only make the experience less bad, it still wouldn't make it good.
not rude ... wrong tool for the job, both that airline and the phone ...

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Don’t worry, this year Apple will offer a bigger Pro Max, with an almost 7” screen display.

Meanwhile, those of us who need a more compact and lightweight iPhone are stuck with an iPhone 13 mini or the SE3, because the smaller regular iPhone 16 starts at 6.1”. And the iPhone 17 will start at 6.3” in 2025.

Reactions: klasma

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
However, I am out about daily without accessing to battery banks and have to use phones to send emails, filling out charts, booking tickets, navigation etc. [...] Current iPhone line up is too small.
Too small for you, you mean. Some of us carry our phones in pockets all day, and use computers or tablets for the things we need computers and tablets for -- like "filling in charts" (??) or whatever.

By the way, have you seen this? Seems like it might be what you actually need. You can even get it with cellular access so it's essentially a giant iPhone.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.26.53 PM.png

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

No one wants that. Larger would just make it harder to type on

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
No offense, but that sounded a bit selfish. You are suggesting the size of the smaller model should also be increased, not leaving any options. So, all iPhone users in the world should suffer from overly large models just because you like them? Personally, I would like a smaller iPhone back, but I never say that larger ones should be changed to smaller ones. I’d like to see more options for different people.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This is a comprised experience at best.

I have GV and have used a cellular iPad mini as (also) my "phone" (with buds) for more than a decade now. No problems and no sense of compromise. Yes, it's not Apple's default VOIP app but simply a different VOIP app. There's plenty of them in the App Store.

More importantly, Google Voice is not available in Canada.

Google Voice works just fine in Canada. I've used it there many times myself.

If you mean setting it up in Canada, the free version is not directly available but you can get it for a cheap monthly rate as part of a bundle of Google services there. Else, there must be many other VOIP services available in Canada. I encourage you to shop around and try some of them.

Secondly, most One Time Verification Code won’t work with VOIP numbers.

In my decade of experience, I've had this issue only 2 times... with neither being that big of a deal. For one of those, I used a backup VOIP app that I keep on the iPad and the verification worked with it. For the other, I verified with a friends number and have since been freely using the app for nearly 2 years now. Eventually, I'll probably need to verify again and I'll just use the same approach.

Secondly, my phone number has been used for more than 15 years, I don’t want change phone number and porting number to VOIP is PITA and it is also impossible to port number out.

My phone number started as a land line number in about Y2K, then ported to iPhone for a few days, so I could port it to a mobile number for a few days, so I could port it to a VOIP service... which eventually led to porting it another VOIP service. Perhaps things are different in the USA, but an entity cannot keep anyone from porting their number to a different service. US carriers don't even has a say in that. You port and they find out you are done with them AFTER you are already with the other carrier.

I suggest you take a fresh look at VOIP apps, services, etc available to you in Canada. That's the path to getting your much "bigger" phone in the form of a cellular iPad. Else, you can hope that Apple will grow iPhones even more but that tends to happen a few millimeters at a time... so your wait will be long. Maybe Apple will roll out a "fold" at some point though very speculative rumors put that at many years from now.

Lastly, you can run VOIP apps on Mac too, effectively making maybe a 15" MBair into a "phone." I sometimes make and receive calls on my Desktop Mac and OFTEN text on it instead of phone or tablet screens. That may not be quite the "portable & light" you seek but if you carry around 2 of the bigger cell phones, I bet the relative weight would be similar... and all apps would probably be more enjoyable on that much bigger screen.

OR, you can have a Cellular iPad as soon as today.

Last edited:

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
If it takes you a (presumably rare) long distance, multi-day trip to decide you need a bigger phone, you don't need a bigger phone. You could have tethered either phone to one of your existing iPads and taken that along in your hands just like a magazine or book, if you absolutely didn't have room in your backpack. You could also have brought a cheap battery pack in your pocket, or bought one after you arrived and then given it away when you left again, if you had no room in any pockets.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021

An iPad Mini could make phone calls and text messages if you have your phone with you.

Sure, a bigger iPhone could be cool. But if you just got an iPad Mini you'd be set for the time being. The iPad Mini display is really bad though unfortunately.

Instead of hanging around MacRumors wishing your phone could be a tablet, you will be much better off just spending the money and getting a tablet. Use the right tool for the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.