Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
The number [of violations] will be way less because we’ve done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn’t done any of those things.

Q: Are you bugged by the Apple commercial where John Hodgman is the PC, and he has to undergo surgery to get Vista?

A: I've never seen it. I don't think the over 90 percent of the [population] who use Windows PCs think of themselves as dullards, or the kind of klutzes that somebody is trying to say they are.

Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16934083/site/newsweek/

Apologies if this is a repost. I had a look around... and we all know the search function here leaves something to be desired.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine."

i thought they already do Bill , many times over:rolleyes:

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
I like this quote from when Bill is asked what he´d tell people asking him why they should upgrade:

Bill Gates said:
The most effective thing would be if I could sit down with them and just take them through the new look for a couple of minutes, show them the Sidebar, show them the way the search lets you go through lots of things, including lots of photos. Set up a parental control. And then I might edit a high-definition movie and make a little DVD that's got photos. As I went through, they'd think, “Wow, is that something I could use, would that make a difference for me?”

Guess Bill has left MS to work at the Seattle Apple Store.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Proving that Gates doesn't get the Apple ads. Hodgman doesn't play a PC user, he plays a PC. That's why he's all out of date and stuffy looking.

As for those Mac vulnerabilities (note, these are not exploits) virtually every single one of them requires physical access to the computer, whereas Windows exploits allow remote code execution from the other side of the planet.

Gates has tried that "Windows is more secure" line before with Linux. Didn't work then either :rolleyes:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
So can you give us an indication of what the next Windows will be like?
Well, it will be more user-centric.

What does that mean?
That means that right now when you move from one PC to another, you've got to install apps on each one, do upgrades on each one. Moving information between them is very painful. We can use Live Services [a way to connect to Microsoft via the Internet] to know what you're interested in. So even if you drop by a [public] kiosk or somebody else's PC, we can bring down your home page, your files, your fonts, your favorites and those things. So that's kind of the user-centric thing that Live Services can enable. [Also,] in Vista things got a lot better with [digital] ink and speech but by the next release there will be a much bigger bet. Students won't need textbooks, they can just use these tablet devices. Parallel computing is pretty important for the next release. We'll make it so that a lot of the high-level graphics will be just built into the operating system. So we've got a pretty good outline.

So MS will have total access to everything on your computer:confused:

That's not at all worrying!:rolleyes:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it’s superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it.

I liked this one. You can almost hear the peevishness. :)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Bill G said:
You can go through and look at who showed any of these things first, if you care about the facts. If you just want to say, "Steve Jobs invented the world, and then the rest of us came along," that's fine. If you’re interested, [Vista development chief] Jim Allchin will be glad to educate you feature by feature what the truth is. I mean, it’s fascinating, maybe we shouldn't have showed so publicly the stuff we were doing, because we knew how long the new security base was going to take us to get done. Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine. So, yes, it took us longer, and they had what we were doing, user interface-wise. Let’s be realistic, who came up with [the] file, edit, view, help [menu bar]? Do you want to go back to the original Mac and think about where those interface concepts came from?

Interviewer missed a great opporunity there. The answer to that last question should have been "Yes."

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
I think that the problem is that Bill Gates cannot handle having an operating system that is not the best and doesn't have features like iLife.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Bill himself brought up Apple. He may be trying to halt the positive media OSX gets in the light of the launch of Vista. Of course, in the next couple of days media will prove him wrong and tell people how out of date Bill and his company are.

BTW: BBC World now reports on how Vista can potentially self-destruct via a voice command on a web site or via e-mail. Likely to never happen, but more bad news for Bill.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Bill Gates view of history is creative needless to say.

He really sounds concerned about what Apple is doing right now.

I am looking forward to seeing the first Vista virus! ;)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
BTW: BBC World now reports on how Vista can potentially self-destruct via a voice command on a web site or via e-mail. Likely to never happen, but more bad news for Bill.

It's ok though, that can only happen if you actually want to use that feature:rolleyes: :D :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Sounds like Karl Rove is now working for Gates, what a bunch of lies. Microsoft has no idea what innovation is and its software allways seem to be a generation behind Apples. Its still sad that the world went to crappy windows when it had a choice for superior software. If only Apple had a different marketing and hardware tier.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
In just about every interview that I've seen with Big Bill, someone always mentions Apple. I think that's something he's never really had to deal with on such a large scale before. The Apple folks have always done a little Saber rattling, but the media is getting in his face about it. Something I've never seen much of in the past.

In most of the interviews, he's managed it pretty well, but I'm sure he's not happy about the media pissing in his cheerios lately. 5 Years and billions later, and he gets a lukewarm reception. Can't be a positive thing, I'd hate to be a stockholder right now.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
This is about the most ignorant statement I think he could have possibly made:

I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine.

Sooo.... there's not millions of zombified Windows machines out there? :rolleyes:

I know he's rich.. but is his 'own little world' really that insulated from reality?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
You cant watch TV or go on the net without seeing those new Commercials from Apple, Gates is spinning in his Vista, for him to say again Macs are riddled with hacks and virus everyday is again blatant lies. Vista and gaming appears to be crap at the moment from everything I have read. I see no reason or need for Vista at the moment for many people. Its release is going to flop yet they still will sell millions of copys with new machines.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It's not necessarily lies, as I see it, it's just a childish attitude to take.

Yes, OS X is riddled with holes and bugs. As is Solaris, Linux flavors, Windows flavors, and anything else out there. ****, even cell phones and PDAs are ripe for exploit.

Gates is the Big Dog on the block. As BV noted, apparently he sees Apple as a real threat if he's going to lower himself to name calling and mom jokes.

IMO, he should have taken the high road. Instead, I think he just laid himself open to ridicule down the road. If he thinks that major security holes aren't going to be found and exploited in Vista... then he's sleeping on a giant pile of money.

Further thought... LMH (the OS X bugs dude) is under the employ of Microsoft (or a dummy corp). You heard it here first.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
FECKING HILARIOUS!!!!

"So you feel in 2010-2011 Microsoft will be back with the next big one?"

"Absolutely. We'll tell you how Vista just wasn't good enough, and we'll know why, too."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.