Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
oh, yeah, Bill said Apple is lying in the pc vs. mac ads, so ask u guys, is apply lying?

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I would be pissed too if my great box of goodies came out after a long wait to a luke warm welcome and being annoyed with reporters talking about apple when my big great VISTA is here.

Bill took it back to pre-school on SJ's monkey arse....yeah boy!:confused:

Don't worry Bill you will still make billions....even if it flops

Bless

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think this was true in the eighties, when there were loads of different OS's and that wasn't great for he customer, but having 2 or 3 major OS's (as in Games consoles) would be for the best. Apple and Microsoft both certainly get things wrong.

Who says it wasn't great for the consumer?

The only issue I have with that is the price gouging. If MS had acted as the benevolent provider of products, fairly priced, then the perception you speak of would be consistent with their actions. However, once they gained a stranglehold on the industry, they quickly began to victimize the consumer. For business it is even worse.

Since there's really no such thing as benevolent capitalism, we as consumers have to rely on a competitive marketplace to escape being gouged. Or, if the marketplace fails, on the enforcement of antitrust laws. Microsoft's big realization was that they could go way over the line of legal competitive behavior, and by the time anyone caught up to them, the victim would already be dead. They repeated this scheme numerous times. None of it was actually good for us, but as far as Microsoft was concerned it was, because they won, and them winning is the same as us winning. Really, this is the way they think!

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
It's a good thing Bill is retiring. He's sounding dumber every single day.

By the way Bill, my Mac has never been taken over by hackers. Unfortunately though, the PC has been on a daily basis. Thanks for you concern.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Seeing as computers have taken off since I was thinking that they make be connected, though TBH that may be a coincidence, and also most people just use Internet and Office which are available on every platform.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Seeing as computers have taken off since I was thinking that they make be connected, though TBH that may be a coincidence, and also most people just use Internet and Office which are available on every platform.
Computers have been big since the mid-80s from my memory, only then it was Atari STs and Amigas that everyone had at home, with Macs and PCs mostly confined to the office. The major thing that has changed since is communication technology now allows us all to talk to each other about our computers, rather than all of us just using them on our own.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The major thing that has changed since is communication technology now allows us all to talk to each other about our computers, rather than all of us just using them on our own.
Nah, we used to use BBSes over 300 bps modems back then too. :p

What has changed dramatically is that the 'net has democratized access to information and services and you no longer need a specialized client for your mail application, etc... So that you effectively have more freedom to pick an non-Microsoft OS (or at least stay away from Vista) and still get things done.

B

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State

Since there's really no such thing as benevolent capitalism, we as consumers have to rely on a competitive marketplace to escape being gouged. Or, if the marketplace fails, on the enforcement of antitrust laws. Microsoft's big realization was that they could go way over the line of legal competitive behavior, and by the time anyone caught up to them, the victim would already be dead. They repeated this scheme numerous times. None of it was actually good for us, but as far as Microsoft was concerned it was, because they won, and them winning is the same as us winning. Really, this is the way they think!

Point taken.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
It's not necessarily lies, as I see it, it's just a childish attitude to take.

Yes, OS X is riddled with holes and bugs. As is Solaris, Linux flavors, Windows flavors, and anything else out there. ****, even cell phones and PDAs are ripe for exploit.

Gates is the Big Dog on the block. As BV noted, apparently he sees Apple as a real threat if he's going to lower himself to name calling and mom jokes.

IMO, he should have taken the high road. Instead, I think he just laid himself open to ridicule down the road. If he thinks that major security holes aren't going to be found and exploited in Vista... then he's sleeping on a giant pile of money.

Further thought... LMH (the OS X bugs dude) is under the employ of Microsoft (or a dummy corp). You heard it here first.

Microsoft is just plain arrogant. The idiots rewrote the entire IP stack in Vista, and up until just months before the release of Vista Ultimate to corporate users (which happened sometime late 2006) they were still finding exploits that were originally introduced in Windows 95. This is the attitude of a company that honestly believes that it can do anything it wants, and people will flock around them singing their praises.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I think it would make a real statement if you took all those Vista discs and sent them back to Microsoft. :)

While a good image, you know that the type of corporate buyers we're talking about don't have one CD per license, right?

FWIW my wife works for a big company and just got a new HP notebook at work and although it was "designed for XP" and is "Vista ready" it came from corporate IT preinstalled with 2K, and she's had to fight to allow them to install very expensive lab equipment that requires XP on the controller PC.

Don't think she'll be seeing Vista there any day soon, 2K was only deployed in late 2005. :p

B

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
While a good image, you know that the type of corporate buyers we're talking about don't have one CD per license, right?

Yeah, which is too bad, it could have been a neat statement.

Not that it would put you in a very good position should you actually ever need support.

My take on Vista is what has already been said: It is clearly not designed for the end user. With their virtual stranglehold of the market in place, they chose not to focus on the user in this version but instead focused on ways to make things more amenable to Big Corporate Greed, hence the DRM, licensing terms, activation, the bowing down to movie studios, etc.

I watched the Bill Gates interview on the Daily Show where he talked about using families as focus groups, like somehow this was a value-added feature that Microsoft was so thoughtful to do.

That's what Steve Jobs is better at. Apple designs products that really do have the user in mind, first and foremost. And where they don't, Steve manages to convince you that it's what you really wanted, anyway. :)

Reaver

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

FWIW my wife works for a big company and just got a new HP notebook at work and although it was "designed for XP" and is "Vista ready" it came from corporate IT preinstalled with 2K, and she's had to fight to allow them to install very expensive lab equipment that requires XP on the controller PC.

Don't think she'll be seeing Vista there any day soon, 2K was only deployed in late 2005. :p

B

WOW talk about being behind the times, but they must know something we dont... oh wait nope they are just reconfirming our already confirmed expiriences that MS OS's are well not what they say they are (stable, reliable, and worth a crap).

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I think that in his nervousness, he accidentally mixed up the words "Mac" and "Windows" ;). Otherwise, could he really have his head any farther up his ass?

As someone else mentionned, I think he was refering to the Apple Month of Bugs thing. While I'm a bit more of an Apple fan, I'm actually glad when each companiy points out the shortcomings in each other. It creates pressure for both to improve, which is good for consumers.

And I'm actually looking forward to buying a copy of the next MS Office. I'm using a really old version right now. Microsoft should just get over some people not wanting Windows, and focus on giving us reasons to pay them for Office:mac.

Oh, and a newbie question, but does Parallels require a Windows installation, or does it use a variant of Wine?

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
Oh, and a newbie question, but does Parallels require a Windows installation, or does it use a variant of Wine?

No, Parallels is nothing to do with WiNE. It's a virtualization system, so you need to a copy of Windows to install on a Virtual Machine. CrossoverMac is the most talked-about WiNE system currently. I've used it, and it's not too shabby (but not as flexible as Parallels).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
You have to understand, to Bill Gates any Microsoft competitor, no matter how small or remote, is a direct threat. Competitors, real or even potential, must be eliminated by any means necessary, and at any cost. This is one constant throughout the history of Microsoft. It's the way Bill thinks, base line.
Very well said!

He does not like to loose regardless of the venue be it poker or anything his company is interested in developing or doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.