Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
This is about the most ignorant statement I think he could have possibly made:

Sooo.... there's not millions of zombified Windows machines out there? :rolleyes:

I know he's rich.. but is his 'own little world' really that insulated from reality?
yeah considering my windows computer comes out with some sorta security patch alteast once a week maybe twice as to my old mac had like 3 security updates a year

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I'd point out that truth and reality are not concept that come easy to Mr. Gates.

Here is a sample exchange from the third clip...
DOJ Attorney: Yes. The industry and Microsoft tracks what is referred to as browser market share; correct, sir?

Bill Gates: No.

DOJ Attorney: No? Does Microsoft track browser market share?

Bill Gates: I've seen usage share.

DOJ Attorney: You've seen usage share?

Bill Gates: Uh-huh. But not -- market share usually refers to something related to -- not in usage.

And with browsers, I've seen mostly usage.

Now, some people might refer to that as a market share, but it's not a market share.

DOJ Attorney: What is a market share?

Bill Gates: Well, when I think of a market share, I think of where you're comparing the revenue of one company to the revenue of another company.

DOJ Attorney: The total revenue of a company?

Bill Gates: No, the revenue related to one company's product to the revenue of another company's product.

DOJ Attorney: And that's what you think of when you use the term market share.

Is that your testimony?

Bill Gates: Usually.

DOJ Attorney: Are you aware of documents within Microsoft that describe browser share as the company's number one goal?

Bill Gates: No. I'm aware of documents within Paul Maritz's group that may have stated that.

DOJ Attorney: Is Paul Maritz's group within Microsoft?

Bill Gates: Yes, but his -- he doesn't set the company-wide goals.

DOJ Attorney: Mr. Maritz you identified
last week as being a group vice president; is
that correct?

Bill Gates: Uh-huh. Several times.

DOJ Attorney: And he is the group vice president with responsibility for Windows; is that correct?

Bill Gates: That's among his responsibilities.

DOJ Attorney: And included in his responsibilities was Internet Explorer; is that correct?

Bill Gates: Our browsing technology was part of that group.

DOJ Attorney: Was Internet Explorer part of that group?

Bill Gates: Yes.

DOJ Attorney: Now, did you ever tell Mr. Maritz that browser share was not the company's number one goal?

DOJ Attorney: You knew Mr. Maritz was telling people that browser share was the company's number one goal, did you not, sir?

Bill Gates: I knew that Mr. Maritz was saying to people that the -- that a top goal and perhaps number one goal for his group was browser usage share.

DOJ Attorney: Now, you've put in the words usage share there.

When Mr. Maritz was telling people that browser share was the number one goal, was Mr. Maritz saying browser usage share or just browser share, sir?

Bill Gates: You'd have to ask him. I think he meant usage share.

DOJ Attorney: I'm not asking what he meant.

And perhaps my question was unclear. I'm asking what he said or wrote.

Do you understand the question?

Bill Gates: What writings are we talking about?

DOJ Attorney: Let me ask you the question, Mr. Gates, since you're the witness.

Are you aware of any time that Mr. Maritz wrote in an e-mail or said or otherwise communicated to people that browser share was the number one goal?

Bill Gates: The number one goal for what?

DOJ Attorney: Just the number one goal for the company, let's start with that.

Are you aware of any time when Mr. Maritz said that?

Bill Gates: Where he said it was the number one goal for the whole company?

DOJ Attorney: I didn't say the whole company. I didn't put in the word whole, Mr. Gates.

And I know that you're very precise in the way you use words, so I want to make sure the questions and answers meet.

The question is, are you aware of any instance in which Mr. Maritz, in words or in substance, communicated that browser share was the number one goal for the company? And by the company, I mean Microsoft.

Bill Gates: I don't remember any such case.

DOJ Attorney: Are you aware of any
instance in which Mr. Maritz communicated in
words or in substance that browser share was
the number one goal for his group?

Bill Gates: I think there was a point where he did that. I don't remember the document, but I think there was a point.

DOJ Attorney: Do you know why Mr. Maritz came to the view that browser share was the number one goal?

Bill Gates: For his group?

DOJ Attorney: Did he say for his group in
the communications --

Bill Gates: Well --

DOJ Attorney: -- that you're talking about?

Bill Gates: It's not his position to set goals for the entire company, so when he says something that's a goal, it's certainly implied it's a goal for his group.

DOJ Attorney: Interpreting what Mr. Maritz has communicated in light of that, do you know how Mr. Maritz came to the view that browser share was the number one goal?

Bill Gates: Well, I think he was aware of the increasing popularity of the Internet and the growing usage of the Internet and felt that all the many, many innovations we were doing in Windows, that a particular focus had to be doing the best job on the Internet and Internet browsing features of the operating system and seeing if we could innovate enough to make people prefer to use that technology from us.

DOJ Attorney: Mr. Gates, isn't it the case that you told Mr. Maritz that browser share was a very, very important goal and that's why he believed it?

Bill Gates: I guess now we're delving into the inner workings of Paul Maritz's mind and how he comes to conclusions?

DOJ Attorney: Well, let me try to ask you a question that won't inquire you to delve into anybody else's mind.

Did you tell Mr. Maritz that browser share was a very, very important goal?

Bill Gates: I know we talked about browser share being important.

DOJ Attorney: I'm not asking you what he said to you. I'm not asking what topic you talked about. I'm asking you whether you told Mr. Maritz that browser share was a very, very important goal?

Bill Gates: I remember that we agreed that it was an important goal. I'm not sure which one of us reached that feeling before the other.

DOJ Attorney: Have you communicated to
people other than Mr. Maritz within Microsoft
that browser share was a very, very important
goal?

Bill Gates: Well, you've used several times the very, very. And I don't know if you're asking me specifically about sometime where I used the words very, very, is that the question?

DOJ Attorney: Let me begin with that question.

Have you communicated to people within Microsoft, other than Mr. Maritz, that browser share was a very, very important goal, using those words?

Bill Gates: I don't remember using those words.

DOJ Attorney: Have you communicated the substance of that to people within Microsoft?

Bill Gates: Help me understand. If you communicate to people that something is important, is the substance of that identical to communicating to them it's very, very important?

DOJ Attorney: Would it be, in your view, Mr. Gates, if you were using those terms, would important be the same as very, very important?

Bill Gates: Not identical.

DOJ Attorney: What would be the difference?

Bill Gates: The two very's.

DOJ Attorney: And what significance in terms of substance would those two very's have?

Bill Gates: A speaker's tendency towards hyperbole.

DOJ Attorney: Other than your tendency, if you have one, to a hyperbole, would there be anything different that you would be communicating to people if you were to say browser share is an important goal or browser share is a very, very important goal?

Bill Gates: You'd have to look at the context to see.

DOJ Attorney: As you sit here now, what you've told me is that you recall communicating that browser share was an important goal, but not a very, very important goal.

And all I'm trying to do is find out whether you draw a distinction in terms of the substance of those communications.

Bill Gates: And I said, it would depend on the context.

DOJ Attorney: Let me ask you to look at at least one context, and that would be Exhibit 358 that we marked during your deposition last week. And it is in the stack of exhibits that you have in front of you.

Did you write Exhibit 358, Mr. Gates, on or about January 5, 1996?

Bill Gates: I don't remember doing so specifically, but it appears that I did.

DOJ Attorney: And the first line of this is, winning Internet browser share is a very, very important goal for us.

Do you see that?

Bill Gates: I do.

DOJ Attorney: Do you remember writing that, sir?

Bill Gates: Not specifically.

DOJ Attorney: Now, when you were referring there to Internet browser share, what were the companies who were included in that?

Bill Gates: There's no companies included
in that.

DOJ Attorney: Well, if you're winning browser share, that must mean that some other company is producing browsers and you're comparing your share of browsers with somebody else's share of browsers.

Is that not so, sir?

Bill Gates: You asked me if there are any companies included in that and now -- I'm very confused about what you're asking.

DOJ Attorney: All right, sir. Let me see if I can try to clarify it.

You say here, quote, winning Internet browser share is a very, very important goal for us, close quote.

What companies were supplying browsers whose share you were talking about?

Bill Gates: It doesn't appear that I'm talking about any other companies in that sentence.

DOJ Attorney: Well, sir, is a market share something that is compiled only for one company?

I understand if a company has a monopoly, that may be so, but in a usual situation where a company does not have a monopoly, share ordinarily implies comparing how much of a product one company has with how much of a product another company has; correct?

Bill Gates: Yes.

DOJ Attorney: Now, when you were talking about Internet browser share here, what companies were you talking about?

Bill Gates: You're trying -- you seem to be suggesting that just because share involves comparing multiple companies, that when I wrote that sentence, I was talking about other companies.

It doesn't appear that I'm talking about other companies in that sentence. I've really read it very carefully, and I don't notice any other companies in there.

DOJ Attorney: Oh, you mean you don't see any other company mentioned in that sentence. Is that what you're saying?

Bill Gates: The sentence doesn't appear to directly or indirectly refer to any other companies.

DOJ Attorney: When you refer to an Internet browser share here, sir, what is the share of?

Bill Gates: Browser usage.

DOJ Attorney: Of course, you don't say browser usage here, do you, sir?

Bill Gates: No, it says share.

DOJ Attorney: Now, let's say that you meant browser usage because that's what your testimony is.

What browser usage were you talking about in terms of what your share of browser usage was? What browsers?

Bill Gates: I'm not getting your question.

Are you trying to ask what I was thinking when I wrote this sentence?

DOJ Attorney: Let me begin with that.

What were you thinking when you --

Bill Gates: I don't remember specifically writing this sentence.

DOJ Attorney: Does that mean you can't answer what you were thinking when you wrote the sentence?

Bill Gates: That's correct.

DOJ Attorney: So since you don't have an answer to that question, let me put a different question.

Bill Gates: I have an answer. The answer is I don't remember.

DOJ Attorney: Okay. You don't remember what you meant.

Let me try to ask you --

Bill Gates: I don't remember what I was thinking.

DOJ Attorney: Is there a difference between remembering what you were thinking and remembering what you meant?

Bill Gates: If the question is what I meant when I wrote it, no.

DOJ Attorney: Okay. So you don't remember what you were thinking when you wrote it and you don't remember what you meant when you wrote it. Is that fair?

Bill Gates: As well as not remember
writing it.​

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I'd point out that truth and reality are not concept that come easy to Mr. Gates.

Here is a sample exchange from the third clip...
DOJ Attorney: Yes. The industry and Microsoft tracks what is referred to as browser market share; correct, sir?

DOJ Attorney: No? Does Microsoft track browser market share?

Bill Gates: I have an answer. The answer is I don't remember.

DOJ Attorney: Okay. You don't remember what you meant.

Let me try to ask you --

Bill Gates: I don't remember what I was thinking.

DOJ Attorney: Is there a difference between remembering what you were thinking and remembering what you meant?

Bill Gates: If the question is what I meant when I wrote it, no.

DOJ Attorney: Okay. So you don't remember what you were thinking when you wrote it and you don't remember what you meant when you wrote it. Is that fair?

Bill Gates: As well as not remember
writing it.​

wow this may be worse than mark mcgwires testomoney it almost makes Mark looke like he did nothin lol

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

Ah, thanks for the memories! Here's a few more (Portions of Bill Gates' 1998 videotaped deposition for the Department of Justice.).

DOJ : Let me show you a document that has been previously marked as government exhibit 366. This is a document bearing Microsoft document production stamp MS-980110952 through 53. The first part of this purports to be an email from Don Bradford to Ben Waldman with a copy to you, Mr. Maritz, and others, on the subject of "Java on Macintosh; IE control." Did you receive a copy of this email on or about Feb 13, 1998?

Gates: I don't know.

DOJ : Do you have any reason to doubt that you received a copy of this email?

Gates: No.

DOJ : The first paragraph reads, "Apple wants to keep both Netscape and Microsoft developing browsers for Mac, believing that if one drops out the other will lose interest, and also not really wanting to pick up the development burden. Getting Apple to do anything that significantly materially disadvantages Netscape will be tough. Do you agree that Apple should be meeting the spirit of our cross-license agreement, and that Mac Office is the perfect club to use on them?" Do you have an understanding of what Mr. Bradford means when he refers to Mac Office as "the perfect club to use on" Apple?

DOJ : The second sentence of that paragraph, the one that says "Getting Apple to do anything that significantly materially disadvantages Netscape will be tough." Was it your understanding in Feb 1998 that Microsoft was trying to get Apple to do something that would disadvantage Netscape?

DOJ : Do you know why Mr. Bradford would have written this in Feb 1998 and sent a copy to you?

Gates: I'm not sure.

DOJ : Did you ever to say to Mr. Bradford, in words or in substance, in Feb 1998, or thereafter, "Mr. Bradford, you got it wrong, we're not out to significantly or materially disadvantage Netscape through Apple?"

DOJ : No.

DOJ : Did you ever tell Mr. Bradford or anyone else, in Feb 1998 or thereafter, that they should not be trying to get Apple to do things that would significantly or materially disadvantage Netscape?

DOJ : Did you have any conversations with anyone within Microsoft as to what position Microsoft should take with Apple in terms of what Microsoft should ask Apple for in return for Microsoft developing Mac Office?

Gates: What time frame are you in?

DOJ : 1997 or 1998.

Gates: It actually makes a big difference. We reached an agreement with Apple in 1997, and there's no... I'm not aware of any agreement other than the 1997 one.

DOJ : Can I have the question read back?

[question repeated by another person]

Gates: I'm not sure what you're saying about Mac Office. We develop Mac Office because it's a profitable business for us.

DOJ : Well, you threatened to cancel Mac Office, did you not sir?

DOJ : You never threatened Apple that you were going to cancel Mac Office, is that your testimony?

Gates: That's right.

DOJ : Did you ever discuss within Microsoft threatening Apple that you were going to cancel Mac Office?

DOJ: Let me direct your attention to the second item on the first page. And this purports to be an email from Mr. [Ben] Waldman [head of MacOS development] to you, dated June 27, 1997. Is that correct sir?

Gates: The second one.

DOJ : You have to answer audibly, yes or no, Mr. Gates.

Gates: Yes, the second one.

DOJ : OK. Now, in the second paragraph of this email to you, the second sentence reads, "the threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately." Do you see that sir?

Gates: Mmm-hmm.

DOJ : Do you recall receiving this email in June 1997?

Gates: Not specifically.

DOJ : Do you have any doubt that you received this email in June 1997?

DOJ : Do you know why Mr. Waldman wrote you, in June of 1997, that "the threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately"?

Gates: Well, Mr. Waldman was in charge of this update, and the Mac Office product had been shipping for over a decade by now, and there was a financial question of whether to do this update, and he thought it made good business sense to do it. Other people, irrespective of their relationship with Apple, had said that it didn't make sense to do the update, and so there was some mail from Ben, including this one, where he said he thought we should got ahead and finish the product. I'm not sure what he means about the negotiations with Apple; I'm not sure we were negotiating with Apple at this point.

DOJ : Was this the time you were negotiating with Apple to try to find out what you could get Apple to do to undermine Sun?

Gates: The only email, the only thing you've show me, is that that term was used after we reached a Mac Office agreement with Apple.

DOJ : You're referring to your email, dated August 8, 1997?

Gates: That's right.

DOJ : It's clear from your August 1997 email that you were still trying to get Apple to do additional things, is it not sir?

DOJ : Well, sir, let's read it. It's only two lines. You write, "I want to get as much mileage as possible out of our browser and Java relationship here." When you talk about 'here' you're talking about Apple, are you not sir?

Gates: I'm not sure.

DOJ : Well, the subject of this is "Fw: post-agreement", correct sir?

Gates: Yes, that's what makes me think this was post-agreement.

DOJ : Post agreement with Apple, right?

Gates: Yes.

DOJ : Ok. So the subject is "Post-agreement with Apple" and the very first sentence says "I want to get as much mileage as possible out of our browser and Java relationship here." The second sentence says, "In other words, a real advantage against Sun and Netscape." Third line says, "Who should Avie be working with? Do we have a clear plan what on we want Apple to do to undermine Sun?" Now do you have any doubts that when you talk about "I want to get as much mileage as possible out of our browser and Java relationship here", you're talking about Apple?

Gates: That's what it appears.

DOJ : Ok. Do you have any recollection of any discussions about the subject matter of this email on or about August 1997?

DOJ : If the question is confusing I'd be happy to rephrase it Mr. Gates.

Gates: Go ahead.

DOJ : Did you send this email?

Gates: It appears I did.

DOJ : Did you discuss the email with anyone?

Gates: I don't remember that.

DOJ : The next sentence in Mr. Waldman's email begins, "I also believe that Apple is taking this threat pretty seriously." Did someone tell you in or about June 1997 that Apple was taking Microsoft's threat to cancel Mac Office 97 seriously?

Gates: Maritz had taken the position that it didn't make business sense to finish this upgrade, and it's possible Apple had heard Maritz's opinion there, and therefore been worried that we business-wise didn't see a reason to complete the upgrade, and that they would have the older Mac Office as opposed to this new work that we were partway along on.

DOJ : Mr. Gates, my question is not what position Mr. Maritz did or did not take. My question is whether anyone told you, in or about June of 1997, that Apple was taking pretty seriously Microsoft's threat to cancel Mac Office 97.

Gates: Apple may have known that senior executives at Microsoft, Maritz in particular, that it didn't make business sense to that upgrade.

DOJ : Mr. Gates, I'm not asking you what Apple may have known or may not have known. What I am asking is whether anyone told you, in or about June of 1997, that Apple was taking pretty seriously Microsoft's threat to cancel Mac Office 97.

Gates: I think I recall hearing that Apple had heard about Maritz's view that it didn't make sense to continue the upgrade, and that they wanted us to continue the upgrade, but I don't remember and of it being phrased they way you're phrasing it.

DOJ : Well, the way I'm phrasing it is the way Mr. Waldman phrased it to you in his email of June 27, 1997, correct sir?

Gates: In reading it, I see those words, yes.

DOJ : Mr. Gates, Mr. Waldman--on June 27, 1997--sends you an email that says, "The threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately. I also believe that Apple is taking this threat pretty seriously." Do you recall anyone telling you what I have just quoted, in words or in substance, in or about June of 1997?

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
honestly what do you guys expect here? i really doubt if he's in his "own little world" as some of y'all claim, i mean, look at his freakin exchange with the DOJ attorney. he knows what he said was B.S but he'll say it anyway because he's the head of MS. did you want him to break down and sob admitting how Apple's OS is screwing Vista six ways from Sunday before it was even released? i'd loved to see it but it ain't gonna happen.

in a subtle way i think he gave props to Apple (where said he would sit someone down to show 'em how to make a dvd...etc) and that to me is pretty impressive. i don't think i've ever seen a public statement from him regarding Google or Firefox but then again i don't linger on his every word.

so is Gates rattled by what Jobs is doing? i doubt it...but he's definitely taking notice. he's not a stupid man by all means, many CEO's out there are probably as bright as a dead light bulb and are about as threatening as a kitten. Gates on the other hand...he'd probably knife you through the heart and shoot you for good measure if he thought you were pissin in his corn flakes...and he'll end up owning your hotdog stand or whatever else you had.

just wondering though...how long will it take the average user to figure out that Vista is just a gussied up XP? kinda like the normal girl-next-door who all of a sudden lost 10 pounds and discovered make up...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
After reading those transcripts, I almost have more respect for the guy - he's running rings around the attorney in both of them. Those above read almost like comedy sketches, particularly the former.

It also highlights the utmost importance of anti-trust legislation!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
After reading those transcripts, I almost have more respect for the guy - he's running rings around the attorney in both of them. Those above read almost like comedy sketches, particularly the former.

He's just being disingenuous. Judges tend not to be too impressed by this sort of behavior. The judge in this case certainly wasn't.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
He's just being disingenuous. Judges tend not to be too impressed by this sort of behavior. The judge in this case certainly wasn't.

Conceptual semantics might make Billy feel clever and superior, but most prosecutors and judges aren't impressed by verbal dodgeball.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Conceptual semantics might make Billy feel clever and superior, but most prosecutors and judges aren't impressed by verbal dodgeball.

Right, exactly. The judges in this case expressed frequent frustration with Microsoft and their legal time over issues such as this, to the extent that Microsoft tried to get a judge thrown off the case for having expressed his frustrations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.