Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Six spam messages over three months is hardly even up to the level of "annoyance". You click one button and they are gone (well, slide then click). I have seen the same happen with SMS on Android (which makes sense when you note that 30% of spam on close to 50% of active devices isn't exactly iMessage getting more than its fair share of this spam).

Personally, I've gotten three messages in the past couple weeks. A little more than you, but I don't find it annoying really (although I don't have my phone set up to become annoying every time a text message comes in).

Those don't include the many that I've erased and blocked from my phone. Those are just the ones that are left.

Regardless, don't you think Apple should have a system in place to prevent spam? Either a filter, a better reporting system, or some other method?

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
how ironic, considering most of what RIM/Blackberry announces these days could be considered spam anyways

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
BBM vs iMessage

BBM is (was?) solid at one time. But it doesn't really doesn't do what I need it to do.

Voicechat: iMessage has FaceTime Audio.
Voice Memo: Next month. iOS8
Location sharing: Next month. iOS8
Stable Group chat: iMessage has group chat.
Read/Receive: iMessage has it ( I turn mine off)
QR Code/NFC: OK. I'm not sure what this is for but iMessage doesn't have it.
Ping: This is like poke on FB? Thank you, no. iMessage doesn't have this.
Encryption: Shown to be one of the more secure.

What BBM doesn't have:
Facetime (as opposed to just FaceTime audio).
Video messaging
attachment browser (Next month. iOS8)

and lastly...iMessage sync'd and total functionality on my iPhone, iPad mini, iPad air, macbook pro, and mac mini. Only with iMessage for now...but with all SMS soon (say it with me....Next month. iOS8).

So. I guess BBM has some things iMessage has. If I ever need QR codes/NFC or to ping someone...well. I can't see myself needing those things.

But everything iMessage does to include things that BBM doesn't do...is exactly what I need.

• Voicechat
  • Voice Memo sending
  • Location sharing (you can set the desired time)
  • Stable Group Chat
  • Read/Received Notification
  • QR Code / NFC Invites
  • Ping
  • Encryption

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Honestly, you should find more important things to be bothered by. ;)

Well that's a win win observation. I can smell your synergy. Did you get value add with that? Let's just peel back the onion shall we and use leverage!

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Some people are even getting confused by the term imessage. I have never recieved spam via it. Normal text messaging I have a few times but a delete or block is easy enough. The worst is the phone calls from companies keep asking for a person who is not me about a car accident >.>

Last edited:

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Yosemite has an option in iMessage called "Notify me about messages from unknown contacts". It defaults to unchecked:

Im2k0jn.png

All that's needed to fix this problem is for that option to be in iOS 8.

Zyriab

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
I'm certainly not going to use any messaging service that can't even use English properly like what she is spoke - "architected" FFS!!!!??? :mad:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I love iMessage. Just sometimes my computer and phone aren't always jiving together. How does BBM make money by asking me to use them instead? Always wondered that.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Oh Look! the 4 people still using BBM haven't had spam!

To be fair, no one using BBM *ever* had spam. BBM was the thing that kept people staying for so long. I'm as much of an Apple fanboi as you'll find, but even I have to admit that BBM got it right and airtight from the get-go. Apple stood on their shoulders.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm certainly not going to use any messaging service that can't even use English properly like what she is spoke - "architected" FFS!!!!??? :mad:

Once again, it's a word. Look it up.

----------

I love iMessage. Just sometimes my computer and phone aren't always jiving together. How does BBM make money by asking me to use them instead? Always wondered that.

They're flailing, trying to keep themselves relevant. Or more accurately, trying to make themselves relevant again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.