Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

padster2014

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2014
Looks like BBM forgot it was used for riots

London Riots were organised by BBM, cost London millions in damages, but lets forget that and look at annoying spam messages!

appreviewme

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
BBM...we appreciate the hard fight you started years too late, you got heart kid, but it's over. Keep your head up though, remember you started this game, but it's time to look in the mirror and accept that it's 2014 and move on.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I use BBM. But only cos all my friends use it. Can't say I've gotten any spam on it but I've never used imessage so I can't really comment.

xEODGuy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Indiana
Whatever...

Last I knew, BlackBerry was circling the drain. They cannot be serious with this...of course there's no issues with spam on the BlackBerry network. It's because there isn't anyone left to spam on the BlackBerry network. :eek:

And for the record, I've had an iPad and an iPhone for the last 2 1/2 years, and we've had other users on them for far longer, and as far as I know, no one has gotten a single spam message. Not sure what they're talking about, and this is the first I've heard of it.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I've used BBM and don't see the hype. Aside from teenage girls who uses all the emoticons they throw in there? I thought BB was 'the professionals' phone? I've used BBM enough on iOS I got into a couple groups and had a couple people try it out with me. The groups would rarely update, and with just plain messaging people meh. Not worth having another app that basically does the same thing as iMessage or regular texting.

I much prefer iMessage because its very simple, and works great on a Mac as well. Now with iOS 8 Beta 5, and OS X Yosemite Im texting non-iMessage users as well from my Mac. Great addition, and can't imagine using anything else. Not that Apple is alone with messaging both from a phone and computer but I love the way Apple is doing this.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
BBM is safer primarily because it does not utilize a phone number or email address and it only accepts messages from contacts.

What if there is someone i would like to get a message from that is not in my contacts? like when my wife's phone battery dies and she texts me from a friends phone to pick her up? or selling things on craigslist?

and as others have mentioned, i have never gotten spam in iMessages....

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I don't get spam on my iOS devices.

And of all critics…. BBM, really? The reason BBM can brag to be "spam-free" is because it's not relevant any more. Hardly anyone uses it these days. Hence spam traffic would be negligible for BBM.

antonioj1015

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Blackberry has always been just a messenger.

Even when they were popular, the only thing their phones had was BBM, thats why people use to buy it then came whatsapp, and many more apps and blackberry went doooooooooooooown!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.