Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
You get a PIN that is linked to your phone and Blackberry registered email, if you switch phones you get a new pin but keep all your contacts when you deactivate your old phone by activating the new one with your Blackberry registered email.

BBM isn't bad, its actually quite good, since this is a Apple Website and i can understand that, but the hate towards everything Non-Apple is quite pathetic...

I dont buy Macbooks cause of Apple, i buy them cause i prefer them to other notebooks and they get the job done, while being faster and easier to use.

And in my opinion BBM is better than Whatsapp/Imessage etc. its just, that only a few people use it.

• Voicechat
  • Voice Memo sending
  • Location sharing (you can set the desired time)
  • Stable Group Chat
  • Read/Received Notification
  • QR Code / NFC Invites
  • Ping
  • Encryption

Those are all features i dont wanna miss and its not tied to my telephone number, so if i switch sim cards and numbers everyone can still reach me.

and as enterprise user i would probably like the Server Features/Secure Encryption.

You can say what you want but Apple isnt at that Level yet.

Whatsapp has most of those features.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
No spam here, either. Got to wonder who's getting the spam.

If you think a Canadian message service might be more secure, duckduckgo FIVE EYES.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
To be fair, no one using BBM *ever* had spam. BBM was the thing that kept people staying for so long. I'm as much of an Apple fanboi as you'll find, but even I have to admit that BBM got it right and airtight from the get-go. Apple stood on their shoulders.

Actually, you're wrong. As some others have already pointed out in the thread, BBM has had spam.

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Hopefully this attention will motivate Apple to make the spam reporting process more streamline, rather than having to screenshot of the message you have received, include the full email address or phone number you received the unwanted message from, and include the date and time that you received the message. There should just be a simple "Report this Message" option.

Jgltno

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Blackberry missed the boat.

Their lack of innovation let others surpass their success.

Unfortunately that is happening to apple.

Remember the iPad had 75% of the tablet market and now that's under 30%

Apple please innovate ! :apple:

You're a joke. Do some research. The tablets saturating the market are the 49.99 - 99.99 tablets you buy as a stocking stuffer. Let's not forget who innovated the tablet market and kicked other companies in the ass to innovate.

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
What's the point of this article? Who cares about Blackberry these days? They haven't been relevant to the consumer market for years now.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I never got any spam. But if it is a real problem for some people I hope :apple: steps up and does something against it.

And while I am at it. Spam filtering in iOS Mail just sucks.

coryallen78

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
BB10 and BBM

Blackberry is very much alive and kicking and it's stock is up 16% year to date. BBM actually has around the same number of iMessage users worldwide and statistically is picking up a lot of steam in the US. I am an Apple fanatic and iPhone user for 5 years but recently switched to a Blackberry Q10. The BB10 operating system was built from the ground up in 2013 on QNX which is the fastest and most stable OS used by the likes of NASA, Mercedes, and in the Blackberry formula 1 cars. In my honest opinion BB10 is much more fluid and modern than iOS and is much more productive and secure. BB Hub saves me countless hours in responding to work and personal communications since they are all organized in one place that is accessible from any app and screen using a peek and flow gesture. Also, Blackberry now natively runs Android and Amazon App Store apps in the their own secure space. The other reason that I switched are that all of upcoming features in iOS8 have been in BB10 for 2 years including in app responding to messages and a fully customizable settings pull-down. Apple is an amazing company but you owe it to yourself to look at another option such as Blackberry who maybe late but have become very innovative and are indeed making a comeback. Stay tuned for the Passport and BB10.3. No, I am not a troll or BB employee, I am a UX/UI designer for a MLB organization.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Blackberry is very much alive and kicking and it's stock is up 16% year to date. BBM actually has around the same number of iMessage users worldwide and statistically is picking up a lot of steam in the US. I am an Apple fanatic and iPhone user for 5 years but recently switched to a Blackberry Q10. The BB10 operating system was built from the ground up in 2013 on QNX which is the fastest and most stable OS used by the likes of NASA, Mercedes, and in the Blackberry formula 1 cars. In my honest opinion BB10 is much more fluid and modern than iOS and is much more productive and secure. BB Hub saves me countless hours in responding to work and personal communications since they are all organized in one place that is accessible from any app and screen using a peek and flow gesture. Also, Blackberry now natively runs Android and Amazon App Store apps in the their own secure space. The other reason that I switched are that all of upcoming features in iOS8 have been in BB10 for 2 years including in app responding to messages and a fully customizable settings pull-down. Apple is an amazing company but you owe it to yourself to look at another option such as Blackberry who maybe late but have become very innovative and are indeed making a comeback. Stay tuned for the Passport and BB10.3. No, I am not a troll or BB employee, I am a UX/UI designer for a MLB organization.

Lol. This doesn't look like a PR astroturfing copy-paste campaign at all.

coryallen78

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2014
Lol. This doesn't look like a PR astroturfing copy-paste campaign at all.

I have nothing to do with Blackberry and just gave it a shot and found it to be a great experience. There came a point when I asked myself, why do I push a button, swipe, enter my code just to get into the phone and then double press a button to multi-task. That isn't really multi-tasking at all. So no, this is not a PR marketing campaign, just an honest opinion from a guy who wants to get stuff done in Milwaukee, WI U.S.A. I own a 2013 Macbook Pro 15, 2013 iMac, and 2013 iPod Nano. My Blackberry compliments them all well as a productivity tool.

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
It's not fair to say that you "never get spam" if no one ever uses your phones in the first place.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
It's not fair to say that you "never get spam" if no one ever uses your phones in the first place.

I don't get spammed and I use my phone a lot. I think the reason why I don't get spammed is because my Apple ID is an email address that I just use for important things like my Apple ID, my bank, my medical, and other important things. If I want to sign up for junk, I use one of the aliases I have just for that, and I have another alias for forums and websites that I go on also. I also get very little spam in my email too (my important ones), I get a spam once every few months.

drewzkie

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
CA
I've never had an issue with spam, nor have I known anybody who has. You must really have to play fast and loose with your contact information to get tangled in that mess.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
The silliest part of this to me is that iOS 8 already is bringing tonnes of management options to iMessage that just make iMessage spam ridiculously easy to deal with anyway.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
I'm surprised that people are getting spam - I thought iMessages never got through? Can't have it both ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.