Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
At $1,299 for a pair of these in-the-ear phones, not a chance! :eek:

The whole idea of "noise canceling" is to wear "cans" around the entire ear so you block out external noise e.g. plane noise, crying kids, barking dogs in the neighborhood, sirens, yada-yada.

Are Bose best? No idea
Are Beats? Probably not, but they look cool.

So, there must be other noise canceling "can rigs" out there for well under $1,000 that blow these two away. Anybody?
Noise cancelling is nothing like what you describe. It is about sampling the external noise and generating a phase inverted version of same to cancel the net effect.

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
Just because they stole the technology doesn't mean they know how to or have the skilled personnel to implement it. It's like having John Doe make a dish from a cookbook. Sure he has the ingredients and instructions, but it doesn't mean he'll be able to reproduce the dish perfectly.

I don't think the lawsuit is questioning whether they are implementing it properly, they are more concerned with just copying that major points of the patent and that's all BOSE cares about.

----------

Lawyers making obsene amounts of money in 3, 2, 1..........

You mean, they charge obscene amounts of money, what they actually take home depends on the law firm. If a law firm charges $500 an hour, that amount is also paying for their support staff in addition to the lawyer's time.

Only the really good/busy lawyers make decent money. Some of them don't. At least until they get themselves established. They also have to recoup a hell of a lot of money in schooling, licensing, and other things that they have to pay for. it's not cheap to get a law degree from a top college, they are also are charging obscene amounts of money for tuition, books.

Oh, I forgot to add. Lawyers are the butt of constant lawyer jokes and this is their way to getting back at everyone.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I don't know how they know (Bose) that these particular patents have been used, because as have been mentioned before here there are other companies that does noise cancelation. And the patents seems very particular about specific techniques in improving the quality of noise cancelation, but they do not cover noise cancelation per se.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Beats was a run of the mill headphones made initially by monster by a contract manufacturer in China. Just because Apple bought it doesn't make it legitimate.

Face the music!

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
There are still much better headphones within a similar price range.

Oh that I'm not denying, they're just not as bad as I've heard from the AV community at large.

But then again, people in the computer community and phone community say the same thing about Apple.

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
Why is Bose doing this now ? I thought Beats have been selling their headphones for a long time.

Why? MONEY. Apple has deep pockets and last year Beats actually sold a lot of units.

The other reason is that maybe Bose NEEDS the money due to lack of sales. It's always about the money all of the time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Bose has so-so audio quality, but their noise cancellation is definitely the best.

I have used a lot of different headsets and none are a match. The only alternative I have found that is better is custom in-ear monitors to seal out the noise.

I'm not at all surprised Beats tried to skim the tech.

LouieTheLug

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2013
America
Bose & Beats

I Think Apple Really is playing with mediocre technology when it comes to Beats products... Now I am completely non bias. I do not own Either.. I Have listened to both and find that Bose has a much superior product. If Bose has a problem with there patent being infringed on then so be it... Apple or Beats didn't check on it then that is there Bad!!! oh well..!!! Apple Really should have partnered with Bose... WTF Bose Technology is the Best.... Beats is a Slop Product... Come on..!!!

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
I like .
I like Bose.
I don't like Beats.

What a dilemma.

I don't even think Bose actually attends the High Fi shows, they aren't considered anything but "Lo Fi". there are other products for the same money that have much better sound quality. Bose and Beats just know how to market to the masses that are easily manipulated by marketing BS.

If you want to see what's on the market, the best place to go are these many audio shows they have and there is usually one in big cities once a year. That's where a lot of audio mfg bring their headphones and other products to listen to.

Here's a list of the various shows if you are interested. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/showreports/

These are show reports from past shows and they have both headphone based products all the way up to the super expensive systems.

Just as an FYI, I know someone that actually owns an Infinity IRS system he bought used and he listened to a pair of Audeze headphones and he thinks the headphones are just as good in terms of sound quality as his monstrosity of a system. the headphones cost a couple of thousand and the IRS system costs considerably more when you consider all of the power amps, etc. that it takes to drive the system. So, spending $1000 to $3000 for a pair of headphones are actually a bargain when you consider what it sounds like. If you've never heard a pair of these high end headphones, you'll never know what you are missing. It doesn't cost much to listen to a pair in the audio store.

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Actually, no, they are just one of a great many ANR aviation headset makers, and I'm not sure if Bose even gets credit for doing it first. They can also be purchased from David Clark, Lightspeed, Sennheiser, Telex, and a bunch of others.

Bose was ahead of all those guys. When the Bose noise cancellers came out first they were ridiculously costly and needed a special plug to power them. At that time the David Clarks and others all looked much like they do today, big green blobs on your ears, the Bose noise cancellation was so good they were able to make the headphones lighter.

For the first few years, if I remember correctly, if you wanted noise cancelling for your David Clarks then you bought a 3-rd party kit and fitted it yourself. Eventually the other guys caught up and offered them.

I never actually liked the Bose aviation headset however (was it called the Bose X or something). Having flown for years with DCs I liked the way they really stuck on your ears. DCs + noise cancel was my go-to pair until I gave up flying.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Are... are you serious

I... I re-read that post multiple times. I'm still thoroughly confused. Last time I was this confused, I was 14 and I couldn't decide which girl I liked more at my Jr High. It was tough.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I got even money that says none of you could tell the difference between a pair of Bose and a pair of Beats headsets blindfolded.

Easy, the Beats have a messed up frequency balance, pushing more bass than the actual song has. I don't really get why some people hate Bose. They've got amazing noise cancellation and good sound quality (not that I'd buy them, but I've tried them)… It's always the same people promoting some random headphone company nobody has ever heard of.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I like .
I like Bose.
I don't like Beats.

What a dilemma.

Beats is Apple now. The guys here who defend Apple for everything are now going to defend Beats. One of my favorite companies bought a company that not only makes amazingly overpriced products but represents the kind of people I'd want to stay away from. Why don't they buy Conduit and Bonzi while they're at it?

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I'm sure "Dr" Dre will just go and assault the Bose guys and that will be the end of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.