Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Wow, you're fast. You've already read all 36 patents/applications and determined they are only 'design, look or feel'.

What about this one? "United States Patent No. 6,717,537, called “Method and Apparatus for Minimizing Latency in Digital Signal Processing Systems,'

Or this one. "United States Patent No. 6,717,537, “Method and Apparatus for Minimizing Latency in Digital Signal Processing Systems,”.

Or "United States Patent No. 8,073,151: “Dynamically Configurable ANR Filter Block Technology".

I haven't read them but they sure sound like a bit more than just 'design, look or feel'.

(Thanks to TechCrunch for the references to these patents).

Apparently, you haven't even read the titles; as two of them are exactly the same.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Yes, you don't sue until there is a great potential for a payoff. It is smart business to wait if your patents are being infringed upon

Then ideally Bose will win. However, courtroom victories tend to have more to do with the talent of the legal team and the money they have to spend on their case than the guilt or innocence of a particular party. Apple has the resources to flood Bose with paperwork for the next few years. I'd honestly be surprised if this makes it to a courtroom.

Bose better have an airtight case or the timing of this lawsuit is horrible. They're going up against a giant here. But if their case is flawless, then it's superb timing and they'll deserve every penny Apple gives them in a licensing deal.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Top level Apple executives have been spotted hanging around Framingham, MA as of late.
Seriously... if this really starts becoming a 'thing' then Apple will just negotiate to purchase Bose or at least licensing rights to all the noise-cancelling technology.

That is what I am thinking as well. Buy the damn thing. It is probably a better technology purchase and acqui-hire compared to Beats.

One possibility is to renegotiate Beats for a few hundred millions less ( in case due diligence did not reveal the IP issues due to hiding by Beats ) and buy Bose with that money. Just saying...

ronwasserman

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Los Angeles
Bose better have an airtight case or the timing of this lawsuit is horrible. They're going up against a giant here. But if their case is flawless, then it's superb timing and they'll deserve every penny Apple gives them in a licensing deal.

A majority of Bose is owned by MIT. A formidable entity. They also (according to Forbes) generate around 2 billion a year in sales. So hiring the best legal team to rep them should be no issue whatsoever.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Of course they did - they must of seen the apple merger and those decrepit pictures of Dr Dre waddling round the apple campus and thought $$$

:p

Both Beats and Apple have enough money to pay for it. Now instead of dealing with whatever lawyers Beats can employ, they have to deal with one of the firms Apple keeps on retainer. I'm not sure that is a better alternative for Bose.

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
Macrumors readers' collective IQ just went down a full standard deviation from all the idiotic posts in this thread.

"Oh my god how dare they sue for some general idea?"
-never read the patent or the article

"Beats is ghetto trash"
-closet racist

"Bose sucks"
-doesn't realize it's not relevant

"Thieves should be punished"
-already made up his mind without doing any reading

What is wrong with these people?
Can these people be sterilized?

Don't forget: random Macrumors poster, let's call him SHNVV, is too obtuse to understand sarcasm. That lowers our collective IQ more than any of the examples you have provided.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
While Bose headphones are quite over-hyped, and they obviously are sub-par to any major can company, their noise canceling ones are actually pretty good for their primary function -- noise canceling. The QC15 I take with me while flying are awesome. I can see why Bose wants to be protective of their IP here, and the lawsuit timing may or may not be correlated to Apple's purchase, given that it hasn't even closed yet. They probably see Apple being more amenable to licensing.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Active noise canceling has been used in aviation headsets made by any number of companies for decades now. I wonder if or how Bose is separating the technology used in consumer headsets from the other implementations.

Bose MAKE aviation headphones.

If Beats are in breach; Bose should layeth the smacketh down.

Personally; I love Bose products (rocking the SoundLink Mini & AE2ws') along with their stores which I have found always to be more than helpful - their support is fantastic, too.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Don't forget: random Macrumors poster, let's call him SHNVV, is too obtuse to understand sarcasm. That lowers our collective IQ more than any of the examples you have provided.

Oh that's a good one.

Oh I have one more
How about half-witted posters posters with community college degrees, say one by the username of Moopie sack of ****, who thinks he's a comedian because he is sarcastic on an internet forum.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
I can say this is just one more clarification that the Beats deal wasn't that great of a deal. No one is paying attention to the signs.

The first sign was when Dre and his buddies posted that stupid video.

And now this?

What's next?

And we have the two knuckleheads Iovine and Dre as employees at Apple? They shouldn't be in upper management, they should be garbage disposal people emptying trash, that's more their style.

The amount of pure ignorance in this post is amazing, it's fine to not approve of someone but knuckleheads loving and Dre. How many albums have anyone on these forums made. How many headphones has anyone on this forum sold.

Apparently Tim Cook and Apples board saw enough of Dre and Lovine to make a billion dollar deal with them.

We may not understand or like decisions that are made but trust these are men that are good at what they do

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
See I used to buy into the party line and scoffed Beats as being too bass-y. Then I listened to a friend's Studios, granted they're not the best headphones I've ever heard, but they're far from being the bass heavy mess everyone claims them to be.

Then compare those $300 Beats to a GOOD brands $175-200 offering. You'll get just as good, if not better build quality, and have much more accurate sound while saving $100 for a nice set of IEM's to use or to spend on more music.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They should feel threatened. All sound quality aside, Bose just doesn't have the "cool factor" that Beats does in the average person's eyes.

I'd bet Bose has more cool factor than Beats with the over 30 crowd. Teeny boppers is no contest, Beats all the way.

MikeVera

macrumors regular
May 5, 2014
The newest generation of Beats studio, and Beats Studio Wireless (the ones I'm assuming this lawsuit is aimed against), are actually much better than the crappy predecessors...

The picture macrumors used for the article are the crappy previous gen. The newer ones are sleeker.

I mean, these are still headphones aimed at users that primarily prefer R&B and Hip Hop, and they are priced high for what you get. But they are not the crappy models from last gen....

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
Bose doesn't makes big bold asinine claims that the Beats marketing has. If we are strictly speaking headphones Bose doesn't claim to be the end all be all that all the Pro's are using, they do make bold and valid statements about noise cancellation which they've been doing for a very long time.

On the other hand you have Beats advertising that top sound engineers using Beats because they sound exactly how the music should sound (right... that v curve response...). Or that top DJ's rock them because they're the shiz and of course all the sports players and rappers that just wear them around their neck MUST mean they sound good.

First of, any reputable sound engineer is going to use headphones that have the flattest curve and sound the most neutral. Far as DJ's go, they don't care about the audiophile aspect of the sound, they're in a loud club and they need headphones that blast out certain frequencies to do their job and ones that can take night after night abuse of being tossed around like a rag doll. Senn HD25II are an example of solid DJ gear.

Over the years I've read Beats have stepped up a notch or two (being they were rock bottom) in sound and quality but are still maybe worth 50% of their cost. If you want bloated one note wonder bass, sizzling bacon treble and the most drawn back lack of any sort of midrange; Beats are your choice.

I own a few array of headphones, Audeze LCD-XC, Hifiman HE500, Grado PS500, Beyer T1's, 10+ year old Senn HD600 and a few other's. Woo Audio amplification and a few different option DAC wise. So with that said I hope Bose punishes them in court, Beats have added zero to the headphone world, well other than a good laugh.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Then compare those $300 Beats to a GOOD brands $175-200 offering. You'll get just as good, if not better build quality, and have much more accurate sound while saving $100 for a nice set of IEM's to use or to spend on more music.

And like I said before, I agree with this.

But the same can be said for Apple, Wacom, and other boutique brands.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I like it how everyone suddenly became audiophiles.

(sidenote: nope, audiophiles are not weirdos who take advantage of headsets)

Audiophiles?!?!? One needs to not be deaf partake in a discussion involving Beats sound quality.

----------

The newest generation of Beats studio, and Beats Studio Wireless (the ones I'm assuming this lawsuit is aimed against), are actually much better than the crappy predecessors...

The picture macrumors used for the article are the crappy previous gen. The newer ones are sleeker.

I mean, these are still headphones aimed at users that primarily prefer R&B and Hip Hop, and they are priced high for what you get. But they are not the crappy models from last gen....

I must admit that I have to try the new generation before I judge them. The previous generation was god awful .

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
How many mediocre headphone makers would you like Apple to purchase this year?

Bose has a loyal user base almost as strong as Apple's and a very, very handsome patent suite covering acoustic and home entertainment systems. It would be a good match.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Which part? The question of Bose "quality" has generally been settled to most audiophiles' satisfaction. They suck. I have the Bose "high end" sound system in my car and Bose Quietcomfort headphones, and they are mediocre at best. That's not to say Beats are any better. They're both mainly positioned by marketing, not actual performance.

Yep - for years, in home theater circles, there has been a saying:

Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Overpriced crap.

FWIW - I have no experience with Beats.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Fascinating that they wait until Beats is acquired by someone with deeper pockets. Good luck getting any money, though. If Bose ever gets a payout, it'll be ten years down the road. And the general impression I get from people who work in the speaker business is that Bose isn't really that good.

Well, Apple has been losing a lot of cases lately. They lost to virnetx, Samsung and also the ebook case. It also paid Nokia. Antennagate case. It might settle the employee poaching case.. So yeah! Bose looks like it is set for a windfall..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.