Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
My other brother who loves Android persuaded my brother (Steve) to move to Android and know 2 of my brothers are using the Android platform. Steve says he prefers being able to have an external drive over using iCloud. Personally I like iCloud as my iPhone/iPad/watch and appleTV are all backed up there. I just pay $1.00 a month for many GB of storage and just don’t get why anyone would ditch apple.

I could care less about a foldable or flip iPhone (the hinges do crack) and could care less about using Windows. Have had plenty of jobs that forced me to use Windows and yes far more business apps run under Windows so perhaps Windows is better in the job world.

Steve does not FaceTime, have a applewatch, nor a HomePod, AirPods, nor a Mac so to him the Android platform may be okay. But if he can be persuaded what can be said? Can a iPhone also bypass iCloud with an external drive? What advantages besides being harder to use and cheaper does Android have over the iPhone?

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Because people choose what works best for them. I happen to like Apple computers and devices, but not Apple's ecosystem. I'm not trapped or owned by Apple because with both the Mac and iPhone I can use whatever services I prefer.
Same here. I've also liked using Apple computers for decades at this point and a Chromebook as well during the past few years. Just got fed up with the iPhone and never got too comfy with the ecosystem. Android phones work great for my purposes (no desire to get a folding one) and my AirPods work great with them.

I keep one iPad around to use for FaceTime and as a secondary auth method for signing into my Apple account and pay the Apple credit card bill (which I rarely use) too.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Same here. I've also liked using Apple computers for decades at this point and a Chromebook as well during the past few years. Just got fed up with the iPhone and never got too comfy with the ecosystem. Android phones work great for my purposes (no desire to get a folding one) and my AirPods work great with them.

I keep one iPad around to use for FaceTime and as a secondary auth method for signing into my Apple account and pay the Apple credit card bill (which I rarely use) too.
I love the apple ecosystem.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Steve does not FaceTime, have a applewatch, nor a HomePod, AirPods, nor a Mac so to him the Android platform may be okay. But if he can be persuaded what can be said? Can a iPhone also bypass iCloud with an external drive? What advantages besides being harder to use and cheaper does Android have over the iPhone?

it sounds like he wasn’t using many of the features that make the iPhone good. Maybe android is the better platform for him. I wouldn’t bother trying to persuade him because let him find his way as to what he wants to use. Sure it’s annoying not to have iMessage if you text him a lot, but perhaps use Facebook messenger to communicate with him. He’s probably not that concerned about privacy if he’s using stock android and if you need some private communications, then use signal for that.

Advantages of android are more variety in the hardware although at this point, it’s just a rectangular piece of glass, more customizability in the UI and as you said it can be cheaper

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
it sounds like he wasn’t using many of the features that make the iPhone good. Maybe android is the better platform for him. I wouldn’t bother trying to persuade him because let him find his way as to what he wants to use. Sure it’s annoying not to have iMessage if you text him a lot, but perhaps use Facebook messenger to communicate with him. He’s probably not that concerned about privacy if he’s using stock android and if you need some private communications, then use signal for that.

Advantages of android are more variety in the hardware although at this point, it’s just a rectangular piece of glass, more customizability in the UI and as you said it can be cheaper
He does not have nor care for Facebook. Does Android have a iCloud like system? What if one has an Android phone, tablet and watch? How does Android backup?

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Because people choose what works best for them. I happen to like Apple computers and devices, but not Apple's ecosystem. I'm not trapped or owned by Apple because with both the Mac and iPhone I can use whatever services I prefer.
This is a strange statement to me. “I don’t like apples ecosystem. I’m not trapped or owned by apple.”

I don’t see why you would choose apple if you didn’t expand into the ecosystem. That’s one of their primary winning points over android and others. The fact things work so well together and are more seamless than most other groups of products. I get that may tie you in… but the experience is better when things work together. If that didn’t exist, I doubt I would consider apple “better” than android.

In fact, I tell folks who don’t want to jump in with more than the iphone to stay on android or to try an android out if they already have an iPhone.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Who cares that your brother moved to Android? My brother in law uses Android while everyone else in our family uses the Apple ecosystem but we're not trying to get him to change phones. It's just a phone. Some people like Android's UI more, others don't like how locked down iOS is since they use sideloading. A preference is a preference.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is a strange statement to me. “I don’t like apples ecosystem. I’m not trapped or owned by apple.”

I don’t see why you would choose apple if you didn’t expand into the ecosystem. That’s one of their primary winning points over android and others. The fact things work so well together and are more seamless than most other groups of products. I get that may tie you in… but the experience is better when things work together. If that didn’t exist, I doubt I would consider apple “better” than android.

In fact, I tell folks who don’t want to jump in with more than the iphone to stay on android or to try an android out if they already have an iPhone.
Kind of hard to jump in to the Apple ecosystem in 2012 when your primary computers are 17" PowerBook G4s. Apple chose the lightning cable to cut off PowerPC.

In order to make my brand new iPhone 5 work, I had to look for other services. Dropbox for photos, IMAP for mail accounts, and Google for calendars, notes and contacts all work cross platform. I took advantage of that. iMessage is the only thing I cannot account for. However, that doesn't really matter. Nothing important is ever discussed via iMessage and lots of people would consider me lacking in friends and family. Any photos in iMessage I want to keep go right up to Dropbox.

I also took advantage of jailbreaking. I was loading my iPhone as a shared drive to my desktop long before any file explorers appeared in the App store. And I had dark mode on my iPhones too. Lots of other stuff Apple didn't allow.

In 2020 I tried Android, but the OS is still a mess. I prefer the simple elegance of iOS - which is why I use iPhone. Same with Mac. Mac apps (not necessarily Apple) make things easy.

Just because I don't use Apple's services then does not mean I'm not a user of the product.

PS. You can get iMessage on Android. You just need a Mac that can use iMessage and AirMessage. I kept in contact with people using iMessage for the year I was on a Pixel.

PPS. I do have a 2TB sub for iCloud. Don't use it much though.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gusmula

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX

I've got the Pixel Fold and really love the utility of foldables for my use case scenarios, however I've been mostly Android for the better part of 6-7 years now. I've still had every flagship iPhone release except for the 4S and I like iPhones but I just love my android devices, specifically the Pixel line and the S23 Ultra. Hard to beat that camera experience on the S23 Ultra and the performance with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. I still use it when I want the best camera experience and gaming, so it is running on my personal line while the Pixel Fold is on my work line.

I'm still deep in the Apple ecosystem. 13" M2 MBA, 6 Apple TVs, 3 Homepods throughout my house. 12.9 iPad Pro which I basically use as my controller for all of the connected devices. Still have my 14 PM for facetime/find my/imessage (mostly used via wifi or hotspot from my android devices) and for use with my Watch Ultra. I love the Apple ecosystem for my home life, but for my daily mobile device it just doesn't do it for me as much as I've tried to force it to.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
He does not have nor care for Facebook. Does Android have a iCloud like system? What if one has an Android phone, tablet and watch? How does Android backup?
Android can back up to your Google account just as iOS does with iCloud. I have a Google One Premium account with 2TB of storage for I believe $99.00 per year. That storage is good for backups, Google Photos, Google Drive, etc. along with another perk which is free VPN for multiple devices. I find it every bit as good as iCloud. What I love about Google photos is it is not limited to one platform. It can back up my photos across all my devices in the way that dropbox used to. I've since dropped my Dropbox subscription after getting the Google One Premium.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I love the apple ecosystem.
Some people love it so much that they make the claim that they are trapped. They say they could not leave even if they wanted. Which is a BS excuse really. You can if you are willing to do the work to leave and set up alternative services.

But most people aren't willing. They feel they've invested too much time and money into the system to abandon it. They allow Apple to do whatever Apple pleases to it's services, following along even if they don't like it and lose features or access to their stuff. In this way, Apple owns them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes. It's called Google One and it also has Family Sharing. I still pay Google $2 a month for it and it's on the App store for iOS too now. Although it's limited with what it can do on the iPhone.

You can also transfer your stuff from phone to phone using Google's apps. I would assume Samsung and other manufacturers are the same.

It's not like outside Apple's walled garden it's a hellscape.

Reactions: jamezr and aggie99

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Android can back up to your Google account just as iOS does with iCloud. I have a Google One Premium account with 2TB of storage for I believe $99.00 per year. That storage is good for backups, Google Photos, Google Drive, etc. along with another perk which is free VPN for multiple devices. I find it every bit as good as iCloud. What I love about Google photos is it is not limited to one platform. It can back up my photos across all my devices in the way that dropbox used to. I've since dropped my Dropbox subscription after getting the Google One Premium.
That is why I use Google for backup and photos and data storage. It doesn't matter what OS or devicee I am using....it just works. Oh and Magic Eraser is pure gold on Google Photos :)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My FIL and SIL both have Android devices. It’s kind of a pain in the group chat since everyone else owns iPhone’s. But they don’t want to use WhatsApp, etc. For the most part though, it’s fine. My texts to them go through fine and even though we can’t FaceTime, regular phone calls work great for a quick chat. Would it be nice if they both switched to iPhone? Sure, but Android works for them, so I’m not going to tell them to switch.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My FIL and SIL both have Android devices. It’s kind of a pain in the group chat since everyone else owns iPhone’s. But they don’t want to use WhatsApp, etc. For the most part though, it’s fine. My texts to them go through fine and even though we can’t FaceTime, regular phone calls work great for a quick chat. Would it be nice if they both switched to iPhone? Sure, but Android works for them, so I’m not going to tell them to switch.
I asked my son once when he was in highschool (a couple of years ago) if the kids who had Androids were ridiculed in a group chat. He looked at me like I'd sprouted a second head and just said 'No.' This was back when that whole blue bubble/green bubble thing was a thing.

That said, my son attended a highschool for STEAM students where technology was a very big deal for the school. So, you could argue he wasn't a 'average' student.

I find it rare to engage with others outside of my (very) small family group using iMessage. Most everything I deal with on a daily basis is simply SMS. Heck, my wife has both an Android phone and an iPhone. I have a group message with me, her (Android) and her (iPhone) because I never know which phone she's going to be using at any given time. She gets my messages either way…when she's around her phone, LOL.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
What advantages besides being harder to use
It sounds like someone hasn’t used Android extensively!

There’s so many little quality of life features that makes life easier on Android. Design decisions that just make sense. It’s little things that, honestly, you’d just have to use it to notice. Sounds like your brothers have found something that works better for their personal use case, and you should be happy for that.

I, for one, have been back on iOS for about a year and a half and I’m almost to my wit’s end. I’m getting back on Android ASAP. I’ve used iOS for a combined ~6 years and Android for a combined ~5, so I have a pretty good feel for both.

I have an extensive list of frustrations with iOS, but the final straw for me was me asking Siri for movie showtimes the other day and it giving me flat-out wrong showtimes for a movie. I cross checked the showtimes with Fandango (which is where Siri pulled the data from!!) and the showtimes didn’t even match up. I mean, the numbers were just made up. I’m done. :)

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
As some other posters have mentioned, texting and communication is a total non-issue. iMessage (or lack thereof) isn’t a big deal.

Also, “ecosystem” (hate that word) — third party services that work on iOS, Macs, Windows, and Android are the way to go. I don’t believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. So, again, total non-issue for Android users.

I really recommend giving Android a go for a good month if you’re able. You might walk away impressed. :)

Last edited:

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
My other brother who loves Android persuaded my brother (Steve) to move to Android and know 2 of my brothers are using the Android platform. Steve says he prefers being able to have an external drive over using iCloud. Personally I like iCloud as my iPhone/iPad/watch and appleTV are all backed up there. I just pay $1.00 a month for many GB of storage and just don’t get why anyone would ditch apple.

I could care less about a foldable or flip iPhone (the hinges do crack) and could care less about using Windows. Have had plenty of jobs that forced me to use Windows and yes far more business apps run under Windows so perhaps Windows is better in the job world.

You can connect a USB-C SSD to an iPhone as well!

Well, after this September’s announcement that is. Hopefully 😜

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Some people love it so much that they make the claim that they are trapped. They say they could not leave even if they wanted. Which is a BS excuse really. You can if you are willing to do the work to leave and set up alternative services.

But most people aren't willing. They feel they've invested too much time and money into the system to abandon it. They allow Apple to do whatever Apple pleases to it's services, following along even if they don't like it and lose features or access to their stuff. In this way, Apple owns them.

This is the sort of thing that completely confuses me. I use Apple products extensively. I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone, AppleTV, and HomePod. I even used an AirPort router until it broke down and I was forced to switch. Along with that, I use iCloud mail, storage, etc.. The thing I like more than anything about Apple's ecosystem is how complete and integrated it is. Not only is it easier to set up and more stable and practical when everything is actually designed to work together under a common vision, but it also affords a truly beautiful and pleasant experience that makes using my tech stuff fun again.

I have never understood why it is inherently a problem for me to do this. I fully admit I could "leave" the "trap" any time I wanted. I choose not to. I don't see why I should be ashamed of that choice or why I need an excuse of pretending to be stuck to justify it to anybody. Sure, sometimes there are limitations to these products that frustrate me like anything else. It's up to me if it is worth losing that integration to avoid those limitations. With rare exceptions that prove I am capable of free will (Apple Pages, Studio Display, some Apple adapters), I have for the most part decided that the integration is more important. I wish Apple offered a web search engine so I could use that too instead of Google's. That seems to be the one glaring omission in their services lineup.

I originally tried to do this with Microsoft a long time ago during the Windows 8 era. But with the death of Windows Phone, Apple became the only way to have your phone and PC operating systems be made by the same company and designed to work together. It doesn't sound like Windows Phone was ever that usable anyway.

I hear I'm taking a big risk putting all my eggs in one basket. I'm supposed to spread myself out over all these little companies that each specialize in just one thing. Then I hear about one of those little companies either going under or changing their business model to something egregious due to financial problems and people panicking because the product isn't popular enough for them to be able to easily import their data into something else.

Ignoring the benefit of integration though and just comparing iOS and Android as standalone products, I think Android would be better for usability and flexibility, and iOS would be better for security. Android gives you far more choices for hardware, and there is no need to jailbreak to run whatever you want. I purchased a Google Pixel Tablet so that I could keep up with what's going on in Android land, and I appreciate being able to use it to play the many thousands of available emulated console games, which Apple would never allow. At the same time, there is a dangerous lack of security on the Google Play Store, and premium-quality Android devices are only cheaper than Apple ones if you don't care about security patches when deciding how often you want to replace your device.

...I wouldn’t bother trying to persuade him because let him find his way as to what he wants to use. Sure it’s annoying not to have iMessage if you text him a lot...

This right here is my #1 complaint about Apple. Apple is not a charity. It is not a movement that needs or deserves my activism. It is a for-profit corporation that is more than capable of doing its own advertising. I strongly resent the way they seem to punish me for not doing their marketing for them against my own friends and family. I don't think it is unreasonable to want them to make free, decent iMessage and FaceTime clients for Windows and Android specifically as a service to their paying customers who want to be able to actually use these products with others. I find it especially tasteless to watch them capitalize on the "green bubble" phenomenon in their own advertising. Obsessed with integration as I am, I am happy to inconvenience myself by encouraging my loved ones to use what makes them comfortable in the name of resisting something this offensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.