Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That’s your opinion, you are speaking for some one else. Worry about you, what some one may or may not think. And calling some one slave is downright insulting and offensive.
I am speaking my opinion for myself. And no where did I call anyone a slave.

Have you ever heard of the term 'pwned'?

That's the meaning here.

PS. I was serious when I said you were 'enlightened'. I wasn't being sarcastic. Few people are willing to stand by their choices.

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
It’s whatever works for them. My husband uses Apple and Android, because he’s just a tech nerd and loves playing with this stuff and learning. it’s nice for me, I just give him my phone and tell him to fix it.

I had Android years ago and I did like it. Who knows, I might go back someday.

Whatever you do, don’t act like an Apple snob. Be happy for him.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Who cares that your brother moved to Android? My brother in law uses Android while everyone else in our family uses the Apple ecosystem but we're not trying to get him to change phones. It's just a phone. Some people like Android's UI more, others don't like how locked down iOS is since they use sideloading. A preference is a preference.
My brother moved from Nike to Adidas. The family are beside themselves with worry.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
My brother bought a Ford from Jeep/Dodge Ram.
The family doesn't want to invite him to family get togethers. No one want that parked in front of their house.
Hell yes to this. If you come to my house in a Ford you better prepare to park down the street. Ram all the way
IMG_3449.JPG

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This is a strange statement to me. “I don’t like apples ecosystem. I’m not trapped or owned by apple.”

I don’t see why you would choose apple if you didn’t expand into the ecosystem. That’s one of their primary winning points over android and others. The fact things work so well together and are more seamless than most other groups of products. I get that may tie you in… but the experience is better when things work together. If that didn’t exist, I doubt I would consider apple “better” than android.

In fact, I tell folks who don’t want to jump in with more than the iphone to stay on android or to try an android out if they already have an iPhone.
The ecosystem is the glue that holds everything together. I started off with the iPhone. Then I had my iphone 4 stolen in 2012. I decided to try an android phone. At that time android phones had bigger, higher resolution displays and other features that the iPhone didn’t have at the time. I switched back to the iphone in 2014. There were some things about android that I didn’t like, mainly stability issues which are non existent now. However, the main thing that drew me back was the ecosystem. Even in it’s infancy back then it was a huge deal breaker for me and there was no such thing as an ecosystem on android. Devices did not talk to each other at all. For me it’s the most important thing I look for when I buy a new devices. I think about how it is going to fit in, or enhance what I already have.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Android can back up to your Google account just as iOS does with iCloud. I have a Google One Premium account with 2TB of storage for I believe $99.00 per year. That storage is good for backups, Google Photos, Google Drive, etc. along with another perk which is free VPN for multiple devices. I find it every bit as good as iCloud. What I love about Google photos is it is not limited to one platform. It can back up my photos across all my devices in the way that dropbox used to. I've since dropped my Dropbox subscription after getting the Google One Premium.
The VPN is a nice feature. I only pay for 200GB of google drive storage. The main reason why is because many years ago I had a samsung Chromebook that came with free google drive storage. Once the two years were up I could keep the content I had already uploaded. The problem I had was that I had exceeded the free storage tier and I couldn’t access my emails. So I subscribed to the 100GB plan. Last Christmas I picked up a Chromebook just to play about with and upgraded to the 200GB just to give myself some more space to work with. I think it’s great that for only £2.49 a month I get access to the VPN and some photo editing skills in the google photos. I have the 2TB iCloud storage and make good ususgae out of that because I’m heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. However, there are no other benefits for subscribing. It’s just the storage space.

Reactions: aggie99 and jamezr

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Android is lot more friendly than ios, more interesting apps and better user interference.
I think that comes down to opinion. If by friendly you mean that there is more than one way to get to a Setting or to do 'X', then yeah, Android is friendly. As far as more interesting apps and better interface, I find the lack of consistency between devs and the lack of consistency with Android OS to be tiring.

One of the reasons I switched back to iOS in 2021.

• Haha
Reactions: animalx

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
That is one sweet truck!
Thanks bud. I used to flip trucks almost like I do phones. I'd get a new one about every 16 months (I put a lot of miles on them). I'm at 26 months on this one and around 60k miles and no itch to move to anything else although the new Denali Ultimate HD is catching my eye. Knowing that Ram is cutting the Hellcat engine in the next couple years and the TRX line may not make it past 24 I'll likely hold onto this one, maybe give it to my son when he turns 16.

• Love
Reactions: jamezr

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What i meant is there are way too many restrictions on IOS than Android. May be its due to security but sometimes it really piss you off.
I ran into those restrictions back in 2012 with my first iPhone. It is a primary reason I got into jailbreaking. Unfortunately, by early versions of iOS 9 a lot of JB devs had quit the scene. Then came semi-untethered jailbreaks where you have to run the jailbreak app after each reboot and periodically reauthorize the app.

I held out on iOS 9.0.2 until December 2020. With a lot of stuff broken and not working anymore it just became too frustrating trying to regain what had been lost around the time of iOS 7 while trying to maintain what I could. Fighting that was more of a battle than fighting Apple's implementation of certain things so I abandoned my jailbreak.

There are rumors that the JB community could release a fully-untethered jailbreak again but until they do I'm not revisiting that scene. And having done a year on Android from 2020 to 2021 I find the consistency of how Android OS works and Android apps work to be more frustrating and jarring than just sticking with iOS.

That's just me though, I certainly acknowledge that there are quite a few less restrictions on Android. In fact, I keep my Pixel 3a XL around just for that very sort of thing - when I need to do something I cannot do with my iPhone.

lyleschmitz

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2023
USA
I'd be willing to say the only advantages to an iPhone over an android are the ecosystem, the privacy, and the longevity of support. If he's not in the ecosystem, like you said, that's only two benefits, and for a lot of people they don't even matter. Most people I know upgrade their phone every year or two, and even if you do care about privacy there are ways to get more on android.

If you're not already using Apple-exclusive apps and ecosystem features, then support for third-party app stores, external storage, more choices for hardware, and features like Dex can be really compelling. I know I've been tempted, but ultimately losing the ecosystem features is enough to keep me in the walled garden.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd be willing to say the only advantages to an iPhone over an android are the ecosystem, the privacy, and the longevity of support. If he's not in the ecosystem, like you said, that's only two benefits, and for a lot of people they don't even matter. Most people I know upgrade their phone every year or two, and even if you do care about privacy there are ways to get more on android.

If you're not already using Apple-exclusive apps and ecosystem features, then support for third-party app stores, external storage, more choices for hardware, and features like Dex can be really compelling. I know I've been tempted, but ultimately losing the ecosystem features is enough to keep me in the walled garden.
iPhones are and have been my primary phone since 2012, with the exception of one year on a Pixel.

But I guess I negate the advantages? With the exception of iMessage and an iCloud sub (neither of which I need and could take or leave), I used other services.

My concern is not the ecosystem, it's using MY ecosystem on a device I want to use. Whether that's Android or iPhone, it has to work with my chosen services.

Reactions: gusmula

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
iPhones used to be so much better than Android in terms of quality many years ago but nowadays even cheap Android phones are so good. Apple is competing on marketing while Android is competing on features and value for money.

I don't get the part on Android being harder to use. You just open the app you want to use and use it.

The one main thing I like about Apple is iCloud backup that backups everything. Many Android phones offer backup but not 100% backup, e.g. some don't backup files saved within apps.

There are so many advantages offered by Android
- Fast charging
- MicroSD card slot
- Dual sim + microSD card
- External storage support
- Using your phone as external storage
- Video out with USB-C
- Desktop mode, e.g. SamsungDex

I use an iPhone though because not many Android phones can record videos at 25FPS, not even Samsung phones can do that.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
My brother told me today he paid $400 for a 500GB Android and I said that was a good deal. No way he could have gotten an iPhone for with that much space for $400.
Wow, you endorsed a non-Apple product?? The betrayal! I am personally shocked and appalled, sir, at your lack of loyalty to Tim Apple himself.

I personally cut off one of my relatives entirely because they refused to UPGRADE to an iPhone. I will not tolerate disgusting green messages on my pure iPhone.

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
I get it when people say they love the Apple ecosystem. However, as a PC gamer at home and a Windows user at work, I always found it hard to stay in the Apple ecosystem long-term. I flip-flop between Android and iOS freely, because I mostly use apps and services that are not tied to any one ecosystem. Gives me a lot of flexibility, but I am sure I am working harder and spending more on apps/services to get similar results to people who just go All Apple All the Time. Yeah, iPhone is great if you use a Macbook for everything else, but for Windows users, iOS just isn't quite as "sticky." Everyone's workflow is unique, so pick the tools that work best for you.

Reactions: aggie99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.