Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Some people love it so much that they make the claim that they are trapped. They say they could not leave even if they wanted. Which is a BS excuse really. You can if you are willing to do the work to leave and set up alternative services.

But most people aren't willing. They feel they've invested too much time and money into the system to abandon it. They allow Apple to do whatever Apple pleases to it's services, following along even if they don't like it and lose features or access to their stuff. In this way, Apple owns them.
This.
I've been an Apple user for the last 8 years.
The last year I was thinking that I would like to try something different.
You know: think different😉

At the time I had a Apple Watch, iPhone, AirPods and iPad.
When my AW suddenly stop working (it was damaged) I thought this was the right moment to try an Android phone🙂
So now I'm using a Galaxy S23 with my AirPods Pro as my daily driver, and I can't be more happy😊

At first I was little afraid of stop using iOS, but if you can't figure it out for your self, it's plenty of tutorials on YT.

So now I'm using a S23 with APP 2 and so on.
Thinking of gettinge a Garmin Watch Venu 2 for training.
I don't want to be locked in to a ecosystem.
As Freddie Mercury would say:
I want to break free😂

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Yes. It's called Google One and it also has Family Sharing. I still pay Google $2 a month for it and it's on the App store for iOS too now. Although it's limited with what it can do on the iPhone.

You can also transfer your stuff from phone to phone using Google's apps. I would assume Samsung and other manufacturers are the same.

It's not like outside Apple's walled garden it's a hellscape.
My brother told me today he paid $400 for a 500GB Android and I said that was a good deal. No way he could have gotten an iPhone for with that much space for $400.

Reactions: eyoungren

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
This.
I've been an Apple user for the last 8 years.
The last year I was thinking that I would like to try something different.
You know: think different😉

At the time I had a Apple Watch, iPhone, AirPods and iPad.
When my AW suddenly stop working (it was damaged) I thought this was the right moment to try an Android phone🙂
So now I'm using a Galaxy S23 with my AirPods Pro as my daily driver, and I can't be more happy😊

At first I was little afraid of stop using iOS, but if you can't figure it out for your self, it's plenty of tutorials on YT.

So now I'm using a S23 with APP 2 and so on.
Thinking of gettinge a Garmin Watch Venu 2 for training.
I don't want to be locked in to a ecosystem.
As Freddie Mercury would say:
I want to break free😂
How do you like your S23? I’ve always been a stock Android guy — have never really had the desire to give Samsung’s take on Android a chance. But I could be missing out! Sell me on an S23 instead of the Pixel 8 later this year!

JamesHolden

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2022
Some people love it so much that they make the claim that they are trapped. They say they could not leave even if they wanted. Which is a BS excuse really. You can if you are willing to do the work to leave and set up alternative services.
While true, if you're a Mac users and value desktop apps, the Apple ecosystem is very sticky. There's no service like iCloud Photos that offers a native desktop Mac app like Photos, for example.

Reactions: jwolf6589

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is the sort of thing that completely confuses me. I use Apple products extensively. I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone, AppleTV, and HomePod. I even used an AirPort router until it broke down and I was forced to switch. Along with that, I use iCloud mail, storage, etc.. The thing I like more than anything about Apple's ecosystem is how complete and integrated it is. Not only is it easier to set up and more stable and practical when everything is actually designed to work together under a common vision, but it also affords a truly beautiful and pleasant experience that makes using my tech stuff fun again.

I have never understood why it is inherently a problem for me to do this. I fully admit I could "leave" the "trap" any time I wanted. I choose not to. I don't see why I should be ashamed of that choice or why I need an excuse of pretending to be stuck to justify it to anybody. Sure, sometimes there are limitations to these products that frustrate me like anything else. It's up to me if it is worth losing that integration to avoid those limitations. With rare exceptions that prove I am capable of free will (Apple Pages, Studio Display, some Apple adapters), I have for the most part decided that the integration is more important. I wish Apple offered a web search engine so I could use that too instead of Google's. That seems to be the one glaring omission in their services lineup.

I originally tried to do this with Microsoft a long time ago during the Windows 8 era. But with the death of Windows Phone, Apple became the only way to have your phone and PC operating systems be made by the same company and designed to work together. It doesn't sound like Windows Phone was ever that usable anyway.

I hear I'm taking a big risk putting all my eggs in one basket. I'm supposed to spread myself out over all these little companies that each specialize in just one thing. Then I hear about one of those little companies either going under or changing their business model to something egregious due to financial problems and people panicking because the product isn't popular enough for them to be able to easily import their data into something else.

Ignoring the benefit of integration though and just comparing iOS and Android as standalone products, I think Android would be better for usability and flexibility, and iOS would be better for security. Android gives you far more choices for hardware, and there is no need to jailbreak to run whatever you want. I purchased a Google Pixel Tablet so that I could keep up with what's going on in Android land, and I appreciate being able to use it to play the many thousands of available emulated console games, which Apple would never allow. At the same time, there is a dangerous lack of security on the Google Play Store, and premium-quality Android devices are only cheaper than Apple ones if you don't care about security patches when deciding how often you want to replace your device.
Use whatever it is that you like and are comfortable with. It doesn't affect me and I don't have any animosity for those who CHOOSE to be in Apple's ecosystem.

What I'm driving at are those people who make excuses for using Apple's services. Instead of saying that they made the choice to be there, they say they are trapped and can't get out. Then shrug and act helpless. I've heard these excuses on this forum many times before. It's a choice and I'm certainly not going to come down on someone for using services that Apple specifically crafts to work well with it's products.

I just choose, for myself, to use only select services is all. I want to be able to access stuff on a PC or a tablet, or an iPad or an iPhone or Mac. Using cross-platform services works for me because they work cross-platform. And with certain exceptions, I don't need to update old hardware/software/OS. I look for services that are going to work across a broad range of the computers/devices I own.

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm typing this on a 2009 MacPro. This Mac and the two 2009 Mac Minis I own are my youngest Macs. My youngest phone and my primary is an 11 Pro Max which I got in 2021. I can't afford to be buying new Macs and new phones every six months. So, I need services that work for me.

As to longevity, I think if Dropbox and Google ever folded then there would be greater economic problems affecting people to worry about that.

And for the record, I'll mention again - I use iMessage and I have a 2TB iCloud subscription. Because I want to.

Last edited:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Use whatever it is that you like and are comfortable with. It doesn't affect me and I don't have any animosity for those who CHOOSE to be in Apple's ecosystem.

What I'm driving at are those people who make excuses for using Apple's services. Instead of saying that they made the choice to be there, they say they are trapped and can't get out. Then shrug and act helpless. I've heard these excuses on this forum many times before. It's a choice and I'm certainly not going to come down on someone for using services that Apple specifically crafts to work well with it's products.

I just choose, for myself, to use only select services is all. I want to be able to access stuff on a PC or a tablet, or an iPad or an iPhone or Mac. Using cross-platform services works for me because they work cross-platform. And with certain exceptions, I don't need to update old hardware/software/OS. I look for services that are going to work across a broad range of the computers/devices I own.

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm typing this on a 2009 MacPro. This Mac and the two 2009 Mac Minis I own are my youngest Macs. My youngest phone and my primary is an 11 Pro Max which I got in 2021. I can afford to be buying new Macs and new phones every six months. So, I need services that work for me.

As to longevity, I think if Dropbox and Google ever folded then there would be greater economic problems affecting people to worry about that.

And for the record, I'll mention again - I use iMessage and I have a 2TB iCloud subscription. Because I want to.
2TB???? You must have allot of video.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
While true, if you're a Mac users and value desktop apps, the Apple ecosystem is very sticky. There's no service like iCloud Photos that offers a native desktop Mac app like Photos, for example.
I have a 2TB sub with Apple. May of 2022 I dropped and broke my 11 Pro Max. So, I subscribed because I wanted to restore everything in one go and not have any problems.

You know what happened when I got my replacement?

Photos only restored a certain amount and then stopped. I'm grateful that I had the sub because that made things easier. I went in to all my Dropbox photo backups and dropped all the missing photos in to the Photos app on my Mac. That pushed them to all my iDevices.

Which is great, I got all my pics back. But guess what? They are all out of order!

Dropbox makes things easy for me. Every pic I take goes up to the Camera Uploads folder and it's dated in the filename. Dropbox gets backed up every night to my NAS and to Dropbox itself every weekend. Periodically I empty the Camera Uploads folder into another folder on my NAS. THAT gets backed up to Dropbox every weekend.

So without Dropbox and without having all my photos backed up locally, iCloud Photos wouldn't have done me a heck of a lot of good.

I keep the sub because sometimes I want to get stuff from one device or another to my Mac and that makes it easy. But that stuff is dragged out of the apps and put on my hard drives/SSDs so it can be physically backed up.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
2TB???? You must have allot of video.
No, I do not. In fact my 11 Pro Max is a 512GB phone, but I have probably 50GB stored. The sub is $10 a month and I share it with my family too.

I also have 4.1TB with Dropbox. That I primarily use to handle computer backups once a week.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Can a iPhone also bypass iCloud with an external drive?
For backups, etc.? Yes. I don't use iCloud for the most part, but I backup my phone to my Mac by simply plugging it in and navigating to it in the Finder. Also I can offload & backup photos using Image Capture, which should be in your Applications folder.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
My texts to them go through fine and even though we can’t FaceTime, regular phone calls work great for a quick chat.
I don't think it's too well known, but you can FaceTime on non-Apple devices now...ever since iOS/iPadOS 15 and Monterey. Of course it isn't quite as seamless as "regular" FaceTime, but at least neither party needs to sign up for something else, nor do they need to download or use a different app.

iJest

Suspended
Jul 27, 2023
I don't think it's too well known, but you can FaceTime on non-Apple devices now...ever since iOS/iPadOS 15 and Monterey. Of course it isn't quite as seamless as "regular" FaceTime, but at least neither party needs to sign up for something else, nor do they need to download or use a different app.

I completely and utterly forgot this existed. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: gusmula and v0lume4

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Don't stop talking to your brother. Keep loving him like family. Remember that your brother matters far more than popularity on MacRumors. ;)

• Love

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

It’s not well known on non Apple platforms.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Talked with him today. He misses Apple but really needed at least a 500GB phone with a SD card for a cheap price. he hates iCloud and hates the phone using it when low on space.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Don't stop talking to your brother. Keep loving him like family. Remember that your brother matters far more than popularity on MacRumors. ;)
I dont understand why some hate the apple ecosystem. I love the apple ecosystem and much rather prefer it over Android and Windows.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
He does not have nor care for Facebook. Does Android have a iCloud like system? What if one has an Android phone, tablet and watch? How does Android backup?
I don’t think it’s seamless like iCloud but they do have backup solutions. Perhaps they’re not on by default so he would want to make sure to turn them on. It sounds like he wants to use some type of external drive, so perhaps back up on it.

If he refuses to use Facebook messenger, there are alternatives with similar capabilities, but none are seamless like iCloud. I’m guessing that’s not important to him since he switched to android so maybe this is not an issue for him

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This right here is my #1 complaint about Apple. Apple is not a charity. It is not a movement that needs or deserves my activism. It is a for-profit corporation that is more than capable of doing its own advertising.
You are 100% correct with the statement above and I totally agree.

I strongly resent the way they seem to punish me for not doing their marketing for them against my own friends and family.
Punish you? Has Tim came to your house with a paddle and give you a spanking for being a bad boy? If so, you gotta make a video of this because it will go viral 🤣

I don't think it is unreasonable to want them to make free….
Please refer to the first comment you made that I agreed 100%. Perhaps it’s not unreasonable for you to “want” something because we all want things. I’d say it’s unreasonable for you to expect or feel like you’re owed this. There’s a lot of things I want Apple to do but I don’t feel they have any obligation to do them.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Because people choose what works best for them. I happen to like Apple computers and devices, but not Apple's ecosystem. I'm not trapped or owned by Apple because with both the Mac and iPhone I can use whatever services I prefer.
I use apple ecosystem coz it meets my requirements. I dont get being trapped or owned by Apple? How can you be a slave to company/business?

Luna Murasaki

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
Punish you? Has Tim came to your house with a paddle and give you a spanking for being a bad boy? If so, you gotta make a video of this because it will go viral 🤣

Maybe "seem to" was not enough to soften the hyperbole. Maybe I should have said "almost seem to" instead. I dunno. I thought it was pretty clear what I meant.

I feel pressure to either stop talking to my family and friends, or convince them to buy Apple products, because of the inconvenience of talking to Android users as an Apple user. I agree that the fact that this problem exists in the first place is not Apple's fault by itself. But they seem happy to capitalize on it and make it worse. I don't feel like this is very tasteful or honorable, especially because Apple is a luxury tech company that makes products many people can't really afford.

Please refer to the first comment you made that I agreed 100%. Perhaps it’s not unreasonable for you to “want” something because we all want things. I’d say it’s unreasonable for you to expect or feel like you’re owed this. There’s a lot of things I want Apple to do but I don’t feel they have any obligation to do them.
Yes, this is why I used the word "want" and not "demand". There are other things they could do instead. Maybe that could be just implementing RCS support in Messages or some alternative gesture I'm not smart enough to think of that makes it clear they want to sell iPhones based on the product's merit rather than social/compatibility pressure.

Reactions: cateye and gusmula

Shouldibuy

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2022
thanks for letting us know OP, I informed Tim Cook of this issue, the president is also informed we may have to go to DEFCON 2 there is a team of SEALS on standby

• Haha

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Sell me on an S23 instead of the Pixel 8 later this year!
Im gonna try😂

Maybe this will be off topic from the thread, but I also been using a Pixel 6a in work for a couple of months.
Pixel have a more clean look in the Os and its more easy to find things.
Samsungs Os is quite good except that I don't like Samsungs version of the phones health, with the happy and sad faces. It doesn't feel premium.

I did however notice that there have been more bugs and lags in the Pixel, and also one time the Pixel just freeze and did a complete restart. I have never experienced that on the Samsung.
I´ve bought the S23 at the same time as I get my Pixel from work.

Here are some + and -.
+ Speed. Its just as fast as my former iPhone 12 PM
+ Battery. Medium user, and it last me mostly 2 days.
+ Camera. It takes beautiful photos.
+ The size. Maybe not for all, but I actually like the weight and size of the phone.
+ Screen. Gorgeous screen and a boost in nits. No problem outdoor in direct sunlight.

- Samsung version of the phones/battery's health.
Can't think of any more.

These are some fast fact🙂

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use apple ecosystem coz it meets my requirements. I dont get being trapped or owned by Apple? How can you be a slave to company/business?
You've made the choice to use the services and aren't making an excuse about your choice.

Not so many users are as enlightened as you. They will say they might be willing to try other non-Apple services, but are stuck or trapped in the ecosystem. They aren't, they are just choosing not to leave and don't want to admit it.

Why that is a thing I don't know. But the fact that they stay, willing to leave their data to Apple's mercy while claiming they are trapped means Apple owns them. They are unwilling to do the work to leave but unwilling to admit they choose to stay.

It's weird.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
You've made the choice to use the services and aren't making an excuse about your choice.

Not so many users are as enlightened as you. They will say they might be willing to try other non-Apple services, but are stuck or trapped in the ecosystem. They aren't, they are just choosing not to leave and don't want to admit it.

Why that is a thing I don't know. But the fact that they stay, willing to leave their data to Apple's mercy while claiming they are trapped means Apple owns them. They are unwilling to do the work to leave but unwilling to admit they choose to stay.

It's weird.
That’s your opinion, you are speaking for some one else. Worry about you, what some one may or may not think. And calling some one slave is downright insulting and offensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.