Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
"Nobody wants the thing that I want legislators to force companies to allow" seems like a strange argument.

To answer your question, developers have additional restrictions on iOS, especially around privacy and third-party payments. For example, Facebook has no incentive to leave Google Play, while they certainly have an incentive to avoid Apple's privacy rules.

Thanks but I get all that. There are any number of reasons and opinions on why this could cause a mass store exodus. This seems to be the fall back position for many against “opening” up install options. What we are not seeing is anything historical (ex: Android) that supports this action and devs/dev houses jumping up and saying they are. Just trying to understand why so many are sure this is “going to happen”. Oh, and the malware invasion too.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks but I get all that. There are any number of reasons and opinions on why this could cause a mass store exodus. This seems to be the fall back position for many against “opening” up install options. What we are not seeing is anything historical (ex: Android) that supports this action and devs/dev houses jumping up and saying they are. Just trying to understand why so many are sure this is “going to happen”. Oh, and the malware invasion too.
But there is current and historical evidence on how crappy things are and were without and before app stores. Trillion dollar malware industry. Sky high prices. Scams. Variable pricing. Discount codes. Tracking.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
President must have a big distaste for big-tech. Why on earth would the President of the United States care if one store went unionized?

Perhaps you meant to post this in the "President Biden Praises Apple Employees in Maryland for Unionizing" comments section??

Anyway, I don't think Biden's statement reflected him being anti-big tech. It was about him being very pro-union. Biden has been quoted as saying, "I intend to be the most pro-union president leading the most pro-union administration in American history."

The fact that this was somewhat of a local story (Towson Apple Store is less than 60 miles from DC) may have given it extra Washington attention too. However, Biden would likely praise employees of any company (regardless of size or industry) who were looking to unionize.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
With regulators intervening and putting together a list of specific items they expect Apple to fix in a specific way.
That is what SHOULD have happened, had the regulators done that, Apples' compliance might have happened sooner. By being suitably vague they left the ball in Apples court to try to appease them. This may also have been a tactic in order to not risk a higher court ruling (yet) which would have set future precedent for other app categories if it ruled in Apples favor.
Streaming TV services are one area where mass exodus has/does happen and could also happen to both Apple AND Android if stores were to operate in niche fields e.g. creative app store, audio app store etc..

Of course it remains to be seen, and it's also likely that whoever decides to open up the first, tries to incentivize devs by charging less. Which may result in them finding out pretty soon that it's not profitable to both create and maintain a store at the level of the current app store.

What could happen at that point is that Apple are forced to "rent" their infrastructure at a reduced rate to allow others enter the market (like happened to telephony services).

Last edited:
Reactions: dk001

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[...]

What could happen at that point is that Apple are forced to "rent" their infrastructure at a reduced rate to allow others enter the market (like happened to telephony services).
If I were Apple, I would charge above market prices and let those who want 3rd party app stores find out the grass isn't greener.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
If I were Apple, I would charge above market prices and let those who want 3rd party app stores find out the grass isn't greener.
If governments stepped in and de-regulated app stores opposite would most likely happen (like with telco's), they would probably mandated to offer near at-cost services so small fish could become "entrepreneurs" on the back of someone else's hard work.

Sad, but historically thats whats happened, along with shoddy customer service and re-sellers not having a clue about the actual technical aspects of the business they got into.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If governments stepped in and de-regulated app stores opposite would most likely happen (like with telco's), they would probably mandated to offer near at-cost services so small fish could become "entrepreneurs" on the back of someone else's hard work.
If this scenario came to pass, and if a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of such a law was upheld.
Sad, but historically thats whats happened, along with shoddy customer service and re-sellers not having a clue about the actual technical aspects of the business they got into.
Yup.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
I’m not coming up with any proof. I am simply stating that this did not happen with Android, why would iOS be any different?
I have yet to see any kind of sensical response.
Nah, you're literally ignoring every factual response, including what developers have tried to do with apps and can't and what they've literally said they'll do if given the option. You are terrible at this.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Nah, you're literally ignoring every factual response, including what developers have tried to do with apps and can't and what they've literally said they'll do if given the option. You are terrible at this.

Believe what you want.
I am seeing a lot of opinion and some niche events held up as proof that “This is what will happen!”. If forced we don’t even know what Apple’s solution will be.

As a former dev, I would do all of the above. App Store if allowed. Alternative stores if allowed. Personal web page. Etc.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Apple will fight for whatever gives them more revenue and profits … the best well being of customers is secondary.

Currently the policies are aligned to give them the most profits considering the current legislation. Change the legislation the objective does not change.

Why are they fighting the legislation? Because they fear it will impact their revenue and profits in the digital service space. It takes from them the ability o model the friction between their digital services and comparing offers.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: I7guy

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Apple will fight for whatever gives them more revenue and profits … the best well being of customers is secondary.

Currently the policies are aligned to give them the most profits considering the current legislation. Change the legislation the objective does not change.

Why are they fighting the legislation? Because they fear it will impact their revenue and profits in the digital service space. It takes from them the ability o model the friction between their digital services and comparing offers.

I don’t think it will but we’ll
The best thing for Apple to do is align their profit making abilities to what consumers want.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I don’t think it will but we’ll
Apple will first follow the laws. Second maximize the customer experience within that framework and then price accordingly.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Apple privacy is a total hoax. Sure its better than FB and Google, but read their privacy policy+CSAM all show that "privacy" is just a marketing scheme they use but its not real. I no longer feel safe using Apple software and would not trust them.

Tosdr.org gave them a rating of E which is the similar rating of Facebook

Attachments

• rrrrrr.jpg
    rrrrrr.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 59

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple privacy is a total hoax. Sure its better than FB and Google, but read their privacy policy+CSAM all show that "privacy" is just a marketing scheme they use but its not real. I no longer feel safe using Apple software and would not trust them.

Tosdr.org gave them a rating of E which is the similar rating of Facebook

I don’t have a problem with apples privacy. I read the tos and I’ve downloaded data they have collected on me. Csam scanning is coming everywhere imo, but is not related to privacy. Privacy is the handling of your PII. If you don’t feel safe using apple software, doesn’t leave you anywhere to go.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I don’t have a problem with apples privacy. I read the tos and I’ve downloaded data they have collected on me. Csam scanning is coming everywhere imo, but is not related to privacy. Privacy is the handling of your PII. If you don’t feel safe using apple software, doesn’t leave you anywhere to go.
PII is just one component of privacy.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

not true
there is FOSS software to use.

Operating system: Linux with a lot of varieties
phone: GrapheneOS and CalyxOS
app store: FDroid
router firmware: OpenWRT

MS Office: OpenOffice
Photoshop: GIMP
browser: Firefox , Brave

just some examples

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Location data as it relates to something like a home address, sure. As far as being at a particular store or medical facility for instance, no.
To use apple as an example, I would think that anything apple collects about you whether entered or derived is PII. Now the cell phone company may know you’re at a medical facility based on the connection information of the nearest tower but that obviously is out of apples control.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
To use apple as an example, I would think that anything apple collects about you whether entered or derived is PII. Now the cell phone company may know you’re at a medical facility based on the connection information of the nearest tower but that obviously is out of apples control.
I wasn’t saying anything with regard to Apple specifically, only that there’s more to privacy than just PII.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.