Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Not to speak for @maflynn but I suspect, based on their last earning, nvidia could stop selling consumer GPU's altogether and not take that much of a monetary hit.

That's fine but what does it have to do with Oracle's earnings? The implication in his line was that Oracle is buying a lot of consumer GPUs which they aren't.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I didn't make a comment on consumer products. Nvidia makes more money from their enterprise business unit then consumers. They sell a lot and that's only going to continue with AI growth. AMD wants in on that and is rumored to use their fabrication allotment for AI specific endeavors then consumer cards.

"I don't think so, if memory serves me, nVidia makes more money on enterprise computing then consumer GPU."

So what does that have to do with Oracle's earnings?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
This:

I was disagreeing with your hypothesis that nVidia may tap the brakes on their AI products.

Then what does that have to do with consumer products? Economies can slow and can drag down the strongest performers. We had that in 2000, 2008 and countless other times. Oracle has been frothy and has been running up quite fast and they're down 10% this morning. Do I think that it's a short? No. I see this area as growing as well. But trees don't grow to the sky.

Giving pause means to rethink your position. It may or may not mean tapping the brakes on it. The market itself has been tapping the brakes on NVDA and AMD.

sc-1.png
sc.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Then what does that have to do with consumer products?
It doesn't and I never said it was. For some reason you're confused, and I really don't care to beat a dead horse, as its just derailing this thread.

Let me close and say nvidia is making a boatload of money off of AI. AMD sees this wants a piece of that pie.

I'm done. I'll interact with his thread on topics of PC building I'm done discussing nvidia's AI business plan

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It doesn't and I never said it was. For some reason you're confused, and I really don't care to beat a dead horse, as its just derailing this thread.

Let me close and say nvidia is making a boatload of money off of AI. AMD sees this wants a piece of that pie.

I'm done. I'll interact with his thread on topics of PC building I'm done discussing nvidia's AI business plan

Then why mention consumer products at all. I'm confused? It seems like you were unclear.

I have no problems with your other statement that nVidia is making a lot of money off of AI and that AMD wants some of that.

But the implication of your original reply was that Oracle buys a lot of consumer GPUs and I clearly disagree with that.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I think overall the 7800xt is a superior card, hence my decision to buy it, even if Nvidia cut the price of the 4070. I don't care that much about ray tracing, its a nice to have feature but more often then not I just disable it.

I don't think so, if memory serves me, nVidia makes more money on enterprise computing then consumer GPU.

AMD is going all in on this as well as they compete against nvidia, They're rumored to be cutting production of the 8000 series GPUs ln lieu of AI boards.

AMD rumoured to favour future AI chip production over GPUs but it's probably no reason to panic
7800xt definitely positioned itself nicely. Harder to find pre built systems with that card though. Nvidia still owns that market pretty much

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
7800xt definitely positioned itself nicely. Harder to find pre built systems with that card though. Nvidia still owns that market pretty much

It's brand new. You could always buy a prebuilt with a minimum or no GPU and then add it yourself assuming enough PSU and space.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
It's brand new. You could always buy a prebuilt with a minimum or no GPU and then add it yourself assuming enough PSU and space.
Yea generally though they cheap out on the psu if it’s a low end or no gpu at all. Plus then dealing with if the case can handle it etc.

But yea, in general though, just more limited for amd options on pre built. And lately with the sales on the prebuilt systems, they’ve been pricing themselves cheaper than it is to build one.

Atleast here in Canada, there’s no way I can build a new 13th Gen Intel system with an rtx 4080 for $2600. Let alone under $3k for the specs I’ve gotten ordered

Reactions: Cape Dave

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
7800xt definitely positioned itself nicely.
This year has been a year of frustration with GPUs over priced or under powered, this card is the sweet spot imo, of price and performance.

Its handling Starfield rather nicely, which is the reason why I upgraded my GPU

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
This year has been a year of frustration with GPUs over priced or under powered, this card is the sweet spot imo, of price and performance.

Its handling Starfield rather nicely, which is the reason why I upgraded my GPU
Starfield is definitely playing nicer with the amd gpu’s. Hopefully there’s a patch coming out to fix the nvidia performance, no way it should be suffering that badly

Reactions: maflynn

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Prebuilt sure has come a long way. Very impressed with the build quality of this new legion 7i. And as much as I wanted to build one, I couldn’t even come close to the price of this one on sale.

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpeg
    IMG_2335.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 56

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Prebuilt sure has come a long way. Very impressed with the build quality of this new legion 7i. And as much as I wanted to build one, I couldn’t even come close to the price of this one on sale.
Wow, really nice. Congrats. I think the Lenovo Legion series both desktop and laptop are great computers. You could have done a lot worse ;)

As for build, I've been tempted to get a prebuilt myself. There was a point where the cost of GPUs were so high, I might as well spend that and little more to get a full system. The thing is with this prebuilt, you can upgrade the components yourself as time goes on, so in a way you get the best of both worlds

• Love

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
According to this demo, the game (engine) needs a lot of polishing yet:
Its actually one of the best games Bethesda released - from a stability/bug perspective. If you're on AMD hardware (like I am) then it runs really well. Bethesda worked tightly with AMD and it shows. We already had a bug fix released that cleaned up some of the minor annoyances. It may have DLSS support, but if not, there's a a mod available.

There's a long thread in the games forum, where people have shared their opinions (pros and cons).

Being a Bethesda fanboy (I love their games), this one is right up my ally and its been a great experience.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Wow, really nice. Congrats. I think the Lenovo Legion series both desktop and laptop are great computers. You could have done a lot worse ;)

As for build, I've been tempted to get a prebuilt myself. There was a point where the cost of GPUs were so high, I might as well spend that and little more to get a full system. The thing is with this prebuilt, you can upgrade the components yourself as time goes on, so in a way you get the best of both worlds
Yea that one was one thing i was very happy about it, was it was using standard parts, not proprietary crap. 850 watt gold plus psu as well. An RTX 4080 system for $2600 Canadian just isnt heard of here lol.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.