Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Actually watching GN review. It is a good chip for the price and power draw.
I saw the video, it came out around the same time as Jayz' Steve did seem to be at a loss trying to support this sort of move but also questioning the worth. I think the value proposition for this processor is extremely narrow. It can make sense, but only a small segment of AM4 users. In all honesty I thought I was one of them, I actually planned on taking a 1/2 vacation day tomorrow and picking one up but, comparing the benchmarks from Jayz's video, its clear that my current setup is faster.

Another issue I guess I have is that Steve tested the processor with a 4090. I really think a mid range GPU is more likely the GPU people are going to be using with this CPU. If you can afford a 4090, the odds are you're going to have a high end motherboard and CPU, not a last gen.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I saw the video, it came out around the same time as Jayz' Steve did seem to be at a loss trying to support this sort of move but also questioning the worth. I think the value proposition for this processor is extremely narrow. It can make sense, but only a small segment of AM4 users. In all honesty I thought I was one of them, I actually planned on taking a 1/2 vacation day tomorrow and picking one up but, comparing the benchmarks from Jayz's video, its clear that my current setup is faster.

Another issue I guess I have is that Steve tested the processor with a 4090. I really think a mid range GPU is more likely the GPU people are going to be using with this CPU. If you can afford a 4090, the odds are you're going to have a high end motherboard and CPU, not a last gen.
If you are GPU limited then getting a new CPU doesn't help you at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
If you are GPU limited then getting a new CPU doesn't help you at all.
for game playing I agree, but I need this computer to balanced. I play some games but also other tasks where the processor is more important.

In other news I got the Noctua NF-A12x15, sadly in my rush to order it, I failed to see that it was not PWM. I have it running on the sys fan header on the mobo and its definitely helping the GPU, i.e., the gpu fans are not ramping up/spinning down as much as they were.

I have the case fan disconnected since its PWM, and while I have a splitter and set the bios to voltage (and not PWM), the A12 spins up to max. I'll probably put an order in for the PWM version of the fan but for now I'm happy and I may just live with it. I'm seeing any major difference my CPU temps with that one case fan not hooked up. Just goes to show how restricted the air flow is in the front of the TU-150.

1688672978440.png

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
for game playing I agree, but I need this computer to balanced. I play some games but also other tasks where the processor is more important.

In other news I got the Noctua NF-A12x15, sadly in my rush to order it, I failed to see that it was not PWM. I have it running on the sys fan header on the mobo and its definitely helping the GPU, i.e., the gpu fans are not ramping up/spinning down as much as they were.

I have the case fan disconnected since its PWM, and while I have a splitter and set the bios to voltage (and not PWM), the A12 spins up to max. I'll probably put an order in for the PWM version of the fan but for now I'm happy and I may just live with it. I'm seeing any major difference my CPU temps with that one case fan not hooked up. Just goes to show how restricted the air flow is in the front of the TU-150.

View attachment 2229010
Maybe a 13500T would be a better balanced CPU?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I mean if you had to stick with AM4 but are trying for balanced (instead of gaming specific), it seems like the non X3D parts are fine no?
I’m happy with my processor. I just thought the 5600X3D would be a clear upgrade but it’s not. I’m happy with the system I upgraded it to 64gb off ram and the mobo is PCIe gen 4 so I’ll be ready for a new GPU when I take the plunge

Reactions: diamond.g

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Its been a while since I touched this thread, but I'm leaning towards resurrecting the AMD Ryzen build.
Here's the latest, and in some ways I feel very much like @LiE_ with his flip/flopping.

I just flopped back to my Intel desktop - the one with the 011D for a number of reasons.
First and foremost the RTX 2060 is near silent in this case, I just couldn't deal with the fan noise coming from the 2060 in the TU150 (bottom pic). As you can between the two pictures, I have more fans, and more airflow in the case. I tried putting some slim line fans at the bottom of the TU150, and at first I thought I was successful, but no. Also I played with MSI After burner to see if I could get the GPU to run quieter, and I was somewhat successful.

I do like the TU150 case more then the 011D mini, but overall the Intel build just works. In the coming days, I'll be looking to turn off the RGB, that should help with my aesthetics. While I liked the smaller case, the air flow was just too restricted. I could have gone with a AIO pump, but why spend money when I don't have too.

1689450009241.png

1689450084263.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I don't think it was that as much as trying to get the most performance for the least cost. The Ryzen build has Gen 4 PCIe, and my plan is to upgrade to a new GPU in the near future. I'll definitely get more bang for my buck if all things being equal, the TU150 was able to run the 2060 much like the 011D.

I'll eat the slower PCIe performance on the 011D build simply because its silent.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Here's the latest, and in some ways I feel very much like @LiE_ with his flip/flopping.

I just flopped back to my Intel desktop - the one with the 011D for a number of reasons.
First and foremost the RTX 2060 is near silent in this case, I just couldn't deal with the fan noise coming from the 2060 in the TU150 (bottom pic). As you can between the two pictures, I have more fans, and more airflow in the case. I tried putting some slim line fans at the bottom of the TU150, and at first I thought I was successful, but no. Also I played with MSI After burner to see if I could get the GPU to run quieter, and I was somewhat successful.

I do like the TU150 case more then the 011D mini, but overall the Intel build just works. In the coming days, I'll be looking to turn off the RGB, that should help with my aesthetics. While I liked the smaller case, the air flow was just too restricted. I could have gone with a AIO pump, but why spend money when I don't have too.

View attachment 2233046
View attachment 2233047
Admit it, you're probably going to change this setup next week, aren't you?

I am thinking of buying some new fans for my Windows desktop, non-RGB. I fancy a stealth look, versus my current RGB setup...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Admit it, you're probably going to change this setup next week, aren't you?
Nah, both desktops offer something and both are excellent. I was just trying to position the build for a new GPU

The more I played with both, the more I realized how much I value silent operation

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Nah, both desktops offer something and both are excellent. I was just trying to position the build for a new GPU

The more I played with both, the more I realized how much I value silent operation
I hear you on the silent side of things. My Windows PC, once it gets going with a game running, those fans are quite loud.
When I work on switching the from the Thermaltake fans, I will make sure to research some quiet fans. Might look into Noctua. But, can't stand their colour choices; just offer pure black will ya! Ugh...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I hear you on the silent side of things. My Windows PC, once it gets going with a game running, those fans are quite loud.
When I work on switching the from the Thermaltake fans, I will make sure to research some quiet fans. Might look into Noctua. But, can't stand their colour choices; just offer pure black will ya! Ugh...
Noctua has the chromax.black line where only the rubber grommets are colored.

For quiet I also would recommend open loop water-cooling. With a CPU and GPU block you could have a really quiet system (look at Optimum Tech on YouTube to see some really quiet builds).

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Noctua has the chromax.black line where only the rubber grommets are colored.

For quiet I also would recommend open loop water-cooling. With a CPU and GPU block you could have a really quiet system (look at Optimum Tech on YouTube to see some really quiet builds).
...thanks for the info. I've been in the area of tech for quite some time. However, I have never been fond of water/liquid in PCs. However, am sure it would offer the quietest of solutions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have never been fond of water/liquid
Same, my issue is that if the pump failed, you may not know it until and the PC basically shuts down. With air cooled solutions, you could easily replace a fan, and even use it without a fan temporarily. In my mind, air cooled is a simpler solution that is generally cheaper, quieter and more stable

• Love

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Same, my issue is that if the pump failed, you may not know it until and the PC basically shuts down. With air cooled solutions, you could easily replace a fan, and even use it without a fan temporarily. In my mind, air cooled is a simpler solution that is generally cheaper, quieter and more stable
Fan curves for air cooled GPUs are not fun to tweak for silence, in my opinion. But yes they are safer and easier overall compared to water.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I flipped flopped back to the TU-150/AMD build.
Reasons for this go around is I have family staying in my spare bedroom, and I needed a desktop for my bedroom as I turned a corner of that room into my home office. The RGB would be too distracting especially when wifey was trying to sleep. As it stands, I work and play with headphones on so the noise doesn't wake her up

Also as the specs of the RX 7800XT were released the power supply for the Intel machine would be inadaquate. Finally the whole gen 4 PCIe thing.

As for the fan noise level, its generally quiet expect in certain sections of the games I play. Also I have no idea how noisy or quiet the new GPU will be. the RX 7700 and RX 7800 will be available to purchase Sept 6th, so next week. I'll update this thread once more I have the GPU installed

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I flipped flopped back to the TU-150/AMD build.
Reasons for this go around is I have family staying in my spare bedroom, and I needed a desktop for my bedroom as I turned a corner of that room into my home office. The RGB would be too distracting especially when wifey was trying to sleep. As it stands, I work and play with headphones on so the noise doesn't wake her up

Also as the specs of the RX 7800XT were released the power supply for the Intel machine would be inadaquate. Finally the whole gen 4 PCIe thing.

As for the fan noise level, its generally quiet expect in certain sections of the games I play. Also I have no idea how noisy or quiet the new GPU will be. the RX 7700 and RX 7800 will be available to purchase Sept 6th, so next week. I'll update this thread once more I have the GPU installed

It's always nice when circumstances validate past computer purchases.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It's always nice when circumstances validate past computer purchases.
I wouldn't put it that way but rather, I'm blessed to have the opputunity to use what was considered a mistake. As time went on with the AMD purchase I regretted some aspects which ultimately drove me to build the second desktop. The plan was after building that machine, the AMD machine was going to be my wife's but I needed another GPU (the amd processor has no iGPU). Given the craziness of the GPU market these past 3 or 4 years that never happened.

While not out in the wild, the RX7800 appears to be the best balance of performance, vram, and price, none of the sub-RTX 4080 GPUs check those marks.

Now that I need to relocate for a period of time, this is the perfect opportunity for the TU150.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I wouldn't put it that way but rather, I'm blessed to have the opputunity to use what was considered a mistake. As time went on with the AMD purchase I regretted some aspects which ultimately drove me to build the second desktop. The plan was after building that machine, the AMD machine was going to be my wife's but I needed another GPU (the amd processor has no iGPU). Given the craziness of the GPU market these past 3 or 4 years that never happened.

While not out in the wild, the RX7800 appears to be the best balance of performance, vram, and price, none of the sub-RTX 4080 GPUs check those marks.

Now that I need to relocate for a period of time, this is the perfect opportunity for the TU150.

I bought the M1 mini and it was insufficient for my needs so I upgraded to a Studio. I put my mini up for sale but only got scammers interested in it. So I decided to keep it. macOS Monterey and Ventura have been buggy and I think that two of the updates broke my production stuff so now I use the M1 mini to validate my production software before upgrading it on my Studio and MacBook Pro. Without the mini, I would probably have to do it on an external bootable drive which would be a pain in the neck. I also have Sonoma on the mini and test every new beta with my production stuff so that I'm ready to go on testing it when it launches and then putting it into production.

My daughter needed a Windows laptop several weeks ago for a day, so I installed it via Bootcamp on a 2015 MacBook Pro, gave it to her and she gave it back to me the next day. It's my backup laptop and it's really good to have one so I can use it for x86 stuff or when my primary is running a long update.

I will loan out a computer to friends or even give them to friends and relatives if they need one.

So having someone staying over and needing a spare computer is something I can understand.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I pulled the trigger and picked up a RX 7800XT GPU. Quite a step up from my old RTX 2060, which will go back into my intel build where as this will be main machine and the other will be for the wife and kids.

The minimum PSU is a 700w, but I only have a 650 :oops: but that requirement is based on a 7950X which is a 170w processor, where as my 3700x is a 65watt processor - so I have about 100 watt wiggle room.

It barely fit the TU-150 case that I have and its only a two slow card. I knew that was my only option, and inventory of these two fan/two slot cards were very limited. There was only 4 Sapphire GPUs and since Sapphire is one of the major AMD GPU makers I wanted them. By the time I got home yesterday from Microcenter, they were already sold out, so I'm pretty happy to snag one.

I've not played anything that can fully take adantage. I suppose I'll install cyberpunk and see that plays. I'm dealing with a hiccup with Starfield. In buying this card, I should be able to get Starfield for free. I have the coupon code, I did the redeeming process but at the last moment (after product verification, just as I was submitting the order the process rejected it. I was unable to re-start as the coupon code was already used by then. I have a ticket open with support but I'm not holding my breath on this

Overall I'm pretty happy though, I've been patiently waiting since basically 2021 but I was not going to over pay. With the 7800 I feel like I got a good balance of raster processing power, vram, decent RT for a good price

image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I pulled the trigger and picked up a RX 7800XT GPU. Quite a step up from my old RTX 2060, which will go back into my intel build where as this will be main machine and the other will be for the wife and kids.

The minimum PSU is a 700w, but I only have a 650 :oops: but that requirement is based on a 7950X which is a 170w processor, where as my 3700x is a 65watt processor - so I have about 100 watt wiggle room.

It barely fit the TU-150 case that I have and its only a two slow card. I knew that was my only option, and inventory of these two fan/two slot cards were very limited. There was only 4 Sapphire GPUs and since Sapphire is one of the major AMD GPU makers I wanted them. By the time I got home yesterday from Microcenter, they were already sold out, so I'm pretty happy to snag one.

I've not played anything that can fully take adantage. I suppose I'll install cyberpunk and see that plays. I'm dealing with a hiccup with Starfield. In buying this card, I should be able to get Starfield for free. I have the coupon code, I did the redeeming process but at the last moment (after product verification, just as I was submitting the order the process rejected it. I was unable to re-start as the coupon code was already used by then. I have a ticket open with support but I'm not holding my breath on this

Overall I'm pretty happy though, I've been patiently waiting since basically 2021 but I was not going to over pay. With the 7800 I feel like I got a good balance of raster processing power, vram, decent RT for a good price

View attachment 2256242 View attachment 2256243

I couldn't find the Geekbench 6 OpenCL on that GPU so I assume that it's pretty new. Your old one was 91K so that's smoking most GPUs out there already.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I couldn't find the Geekbench 6 OpenCL on that GPU so I assume that it's pretty new.
It came out yesterday. It's been rumored since the beginning of August and AMD announced it last week. Once I saw the rumors, I basically knew that this was going to be the card for me. I'll try to run some timespy benchmarks, as I should have them available for the 2060

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It came out yesterday. It's been rumored since the beginning of August and AMD announced it last week. Once I saw the rumors, I basically knew that this was going to be the card for me. I'll try to run some timespy benchmarks, as I should have them available for the 2060

You could run GB 6 OpenCL so that it's in the database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.