Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Here's a couple of comparisons from 3DMark, I'm getting 16478 vs. 8935. Nearly double the performance over the 2060 on the time spy.

I'm not sure why its showing Generic VGA other then maybe 3DMark needs to be updated. I have the latest drivers from AMD

1694108162156.png

1694108679412.png

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I wish I had the time and patience to mess with a custom build. But I found a good enough deal on a Lenovo Legion tower that atleast I have a good starting point. Was close to getting a gaming laptop but I realized I have a MacBook already, the gaming laptop would live on the desk anyways lol.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I wish I had the time and patience to mess with a custom build. But I found a good enough deal on a Lenovo Legion tower that atleast I have a good starting point. Was close to getting a gaming laptop but I realized I have a MacBook already, the gaming laptop would live on the desk anyways lol.

I've bought platform desktops that were easy to modify and that's one way to go to save time. It is satisfying to do the whole thing from scratch too.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I've bought platform desktops that were easy to modify and that's one way to go to save time. It is satisfying to do the whole thing from scratch too.
Yea this legion tower seems fairly upgradeable. Big enough to fit a RTX 4090 in it, high efficiency 850 watt psu as well. I7-13700kf RTX 4070 Ti. Good enough for my 1440p gaming

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
ea this legion tower seems fairly upgradeable.
I'm a fan of small form factors and that's one of the major downsides of micro ATX cases. I really love the TU-150, is small and compact but it limits me on what I can do. What surprised me the most as the that I bought a two fan/two slot GPU and I literally thought it was going to be the exact same size as the RTX 2060. Luckily I had room to spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape Dave

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI
You have to be a bit careful though. I bought a Dell Inspiron 5675, which is a mostly standard-parts gaming desktop. It turns out it was limited to 1st gen Ryzen only as Dell never updated the BIOS to support 2nd gen (even though they sold computers with the same motherboard and second gen support).

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You have to be a bit careful though. I bought a Dell Inspiron 5675, which is a mostly standard-parts gaming desktop. It turns out it was limited to 1st gen Ryzen only as Dell never updated the BIOS to support 2nd gen (even though they sold computers with the same motherboard and second gen support).

I have that issue with a 2008 XPS Studio but it was otherwise easy to work with.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
They end up putting the 4080 set up on for a bigger discount so I cancelled the 4070ti set up and got the 4080 for $200 more.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I can see why you guys bought these after watching the 7700 video from Gamer's Nexus.
Yeah, I figured when the 7700 and 7800 was announced with the 7700 being only 50 dollars cheaper but less of everything the 7800XT was a no brainer

I'm really happy with the 7800XT. It fits my small case, my PSU is handling it fine, the temps so far are only in mid 60c range and my system (so far) is whisper quiet.

1694254666324.png

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Yeah, I figured when the 7700 and 7800 was announced with the 7700 being only 50 dollars cheaper but less of everything the 7800XT was a no brainer

I'm really happy with the 7800XT. It fits my small case, my PSU is handling it fine, the temps so far are only in mid 60c range and my system (so far) is whisper quiet.

View attachment 2257197
That’s a lot of differences for $50, surprised

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So that folks can buy the nvidia card instead of the AMD one. Then when AMD makes their prices basically match nvidia folks get upset.

I'm just happy we were thrown a bone.

Oracle's earnings results last night might give nVidia some pause in how big the AI potential is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It’s definitely a nice card for the money. Hopefully help drive down more nvidia prices.
I think overall the 7800xt is a superior card, hence my decision to buy it, even if Nvidia cut the price of the 4070. I don't care that much about ray tracing, its a nice to have feature but more often then not I just disable it.

Oracle's earnings results last night might give nVidia some pause in how big the AI potential is.
I don't think so, if memory serves me, nVidia makes more money on enterprise computing then consumer GPU.

AMD is going all in on this as well as they compete against nvidia, They're rumored to be cutting production of the 8000 series GPUs ln lieu of AI boards.

AMD rumoured to favour future AI chip production over GPUs but it's probably no reason to panic

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I don't think so, if memory serves me, nVidia makes more money on enterprise computing then consumer GPU.

AMD is going all in on this as well as they compete against nvidia, They're rumored to be cutting production of the 8000 series GPUs ln lieu of AI boards.

AMD rumoured to favour future AI chip production over GPUs but it's probably no reason to panic

Oracle is an enterprise cloud provider and they recently signed a deal to provide $4 billion in AI cloud compute to Elon Musk's projects.

They were providing enterprise GPU compute starting around 2019 or 2020 from what I gather working on Oracle Cloud back then.

Elon Musk has bought up a large amount of cloud computing company Oracle’s spare server space for his new AI venture, X.AI Corp. The news was first reported by Twitter Daily News on May 30, 2023, citing sources familiar with the deal. The deal, which is estimated to be worth over $50 billion, is one of the largest in the history of cloud computing.

X.AI Corp is Musk’s latest project to create a “maximum truth-seeking” AI chatbot that tries to understand the nature of the universe and is unlikely to harm humans. Musk has previously revealed that he is working on a large language model (LLM) similar to OpenAI’s ChatGPT. The chatbot, dubbed TruthGPT, is based on a large language model similar to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, but with more advanced features and capabilities.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Oracle is an enterprise cloud provider and they recently signed a deal to provide $4 billion in AI cloud compute to Elon Musk's projects.

They were providing enterprise GPU compute starting around 2019 or 2020 from what I gather working on Oracle Cloud back then.

Elon Musk has bought up a large amount of cloud computing company Oracle’s spare server space for his new AI venture, X.AI Corp. The news was first reported by Twitter Daily News on May 30, 2023, citing sources familiar with the deal. The deal, which is estimated to be worth over $50 billion, is one of the largest in the history of cloud computing.

X.AI Corp is Musk’s latest project to create a “maximum truth-seeking” AI chatbot that tries to understand the nature of the universe and is unlikely to harm humans. Musk has previously revealed that he is working on a large language model (LLM) similar to OpenAI’s ChatGPT. The chatbot, dubbed TruthGPT, is based on a large language model similar to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, but with more advanced features and capabilities.

I wonder what hardware Oracle uses....

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
We were using nVidia GPUs and were just starting to use AMD CPUs back in 2019-2020.
That is cool, I think as long as folks are buying nvidia GPU hardware for whatever (AI, Crypto, etc) they don't care.
Then why did you make your comment on consumer products?
Not to speak for @maflynn but I suspect, based on their last earning, nvidia could stop selling consumer GPU's altogether and not take that much of a monetary hit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Then why did you make your comment on consumer products?
I didn't make a comment on consumer products. Nvidia makes more money from their enterprise business unit then consumers. They sell a lot and that's only going to continue with AI growth. AMD wants in on that and is rumored to use their fabrication allotment for AI specific endeavors then consumer cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.