Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
But I am just going to throw some crappy little build of mine, done today.

If it works and does what you want then all good, that is the benefit of PC building, you can build anything and give it a purpose even if it the components are old.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I haven't heard Sempron in ages. That's a very nice PSU for an i3 system too.

Yes. Sempron was out of market by 2014 I think.

When I had this system, my friend had AMD Athlon64 3800+ (I think). I was very jealous about that.

It was days where single core processor that capable to do everything.

I continued to have AMD build. Upgrade from this Sempron to Athlon x4, then upgraded to Phenom II x4.

Since then I switched to Intel Core i5 Haswell. Then upgrade stoped for few years. Until I got Ryzen 5 again.

Then Big Sur comes in, I get my passion of Hackintosh back where I build 4 Hackintosh system within half year and very unhappy wife.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yes. Sempron was out of market by 2014 I think.

When I had this system, my friend had AMD Athlon64 3800+ (I think). I was very jealous about that.

It was days where single core processor that capable to do everything.

I continued to have AMD build. Upgrade from this Sempron to Athlon x4, then upgraded to Phenom II x4.

Since then I switched to Intel Core i5 Haswell. Then upgrade stoped for few years. Until I got Ryzen 5 again.

Then Big Sur comes in, I get my passion of Hackintosh back where I build 4 Hackintosh system within half year and very unhappy wife.

I had an Athlon64 4600+ at one time, maybe 2004-2007; a long time ago. I never got into the Phenoms as Intel had recovered by then.

I'd love a 5900x Hack but can't get parts.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I had an Athlon64 4600+ at one time, maybe 2004-2007; a long time ago. I never got into the Phenoms as Intel had recovered by then.

I'd love a 5900x Hack but can't get parts.

Well, you can if you are willing to pay premium for that.

In this stage, Intel probably makes more sense for price wise. I mean Intel Core i9 is mostly available along with motherboard.

I have tried turn my Ryzen 3 3200G into Hackintosh, but it is aren’t stable enough for me to justifying Hackintosh. So I went to Core i3 and Core i5 Hackintosh instead.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Well, you can if you are willing to pay premium for that.

In this stage, Intel probably makes more sense for price wise. I mean Intel Core i9 is mostly available along with motherboard.

I have tried turn my Ryzen 3 3200G into Hackintosh, but it is aren’t stable enough for me to justifying Hackintosh. So I went to Core i3 and Core i5 Hackintosh instead.

I'm not willing to pay $500 over MSRP. Especially with:

1) Apple M1X coming out in which case I wouldn't bother with doing an AMD build as I think that the M1X will be very close to the 5900x if it's 8 performance cores.
2) Zen 4 is coming out late 2021.

I have a Core i7-10700 build. I don't really need another one. One of the benefits of the Zen 3 and M1 chips is fast single-core performance which helps with responsiveness. The 10th Gen Intel chips typically score around 1250 on Geekbench 5 Single-Core while the Zen 3 and M1 chips score 1,600 - 1,750. There's also the aspect of performance per watt.

I would like to see if a macOS VM performs better with something with a much higher single-core score in terms of avoiding graphics artifacts.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Its been a while since I touched this thread, but I'm leaning towards resurrecting the AMD Ryzen build.

If you recall, I opted for an Intel build probably 9 months after building this one. Building a new desktop - Part deux

Its been great but the MSI motherboard (MSI MEG Z490I ) is only gen 3 PCIe (I forget it that was my only option) and with my desire to upgrade my GPU from a 2060 to something current - most likely a RTX 4060, I'm needing a 4th gen PCIe.

I stole the ram from the Ryzen build for the Intel, and so that's the only thing I need to fire up the ryzen. I may upgrade the processor as 3700x that's currently a little slower then what I have in the intel machine. I also read that Microcenter in about a week will be the sole distribution of a limited run 5600X3D processor. The only question is my older motherboard compatible. I'll need to update the bios but at the moment its compatible for the 5600x, so I think I should be ok. The 5600X3D goes on sale next week, so I'll probably byte (pun intended) the bullet and get that.

So I'll be off to Microcenter, to get some ram this morning, I may switch out the air large air cooler for something smaller. As you can the fan it so close to the power supply, and so slightly smaller cooler may be better. When I'm at the computer store, I'll decide but since I'll not be upgrading the cpu this weekend, I'll probably hold off.

Finally, I am rather tired of the LED and I want an all blacked out build again.

1688206556853.png

1688206712953.png

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Its been a while since I touched this thread, but I'm leaning towards resurrecting the AMD Ryzen build.

If you recall, I opted for an Intel build probably 9 months after building this one. Building a new desktop - Part deux

Its been great but the MSI motherboard (MSI MEG Z490I ) is only gen 3 PCIe (I forget it that was my only option) and with my desire to upgrade my GPU from a 2060 to something current - most likely a RTX 4060, I'm needing a 4th gen PCIe.

I stole the ram from the Ryzen build for the Intel, and so that's the only thing I need to fire up the ryzen. I may upgrade the processor as 3700x that's currently a little slower then what I have in the intel machine. I also read that Microcenter in about a week will be the sole distribution of a limited run 5600X3D processor. The only question is my older motherboard compatible. I'll need to update the bios but at the moment its compatible for the 5600x, so I think I should be ok. The 5600X3D goes on sale next week, so I'll probably byte (pun intended) the bullet and get that.

So I'll be off to Microcenter, to get some ram this morning, I may switch out the air large air cooler for something smaller. As you can the fan it so close to the power supply, and so slightly smaller cooler may be better. When I'm at the computer store, I'll decide but since I'll not be upgrading the cpu this weekend, I'll probably hold off.

Finally, I am rather tired of the LED and I want an all blacked out build again.

View attachment 2226288

View attachment 2226289
Oddly, I am getting tired of the LEDs in my Windows gaming PC.
At some stage, I might have to replace/remove them...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm back from Microcenter, I installed the 64GB kit into the Ryzen computer and updated the bios, so now its ready for the 5600X3D processor that's coming out next week. It like I have a whole new computer, more ram, better processor, and next month a better GPU.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So, switching back to the TU150 PC, has been largely smooth. The only issue, is the smaller case is more air starved and temps are a bit higher. I'm having trouble adjusting the fan curve for my 2060 to keep it running relatively quite. Overall its nearly silent at this point and I'm pretty happy.

Having most of your data on the cloud makes this sort of operation fairly painless, I only had to update or install apps, my data was already there.

With 64GB, I'm pretty happy with how things are running, some stuff like Cities:Skylines eats ream for breakfast so the more ram the better.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So, switching back to the TU150 PC, has been largely smooth. The only issue, is the smaller case is more air starved and temps are a bit higher. I'm having trouble adjusting the fan curve for my 2060 to keep it running relatively quite. Overall its nearly silent at this point and I'm pretty happy.

Having most of your data on the cloud makes this sort of operation fairly painless, I only had to update or install apps, my data was already there.

With 64GB, I'm pretty happy with how things are running, some stuff like Cities:Skylines eats ream for breakfast so the more ram the better.

My first thought when I saw your pictures is that it looked cramped.

I've been seeing a lot of larger cases lately and my build from 2020 is one of those big cases. I like the idea as you can put in more fans that allow you to keep the system quiet. The downside, of course, is finding a good spot to place the tower.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
My first thought when I saw your pictures is that it looked cramped.
That's the issue with ITX cases, and for the most part why I chose some of the components. The cooler for instance, is oversized especially due to the relatively cool running 3700x.

Oddly enough, I have the bios fan curve set up now and the TU150 silent, more so then the the larger case (the one with RGB and lots of fans).

As for playing games, I'm trying to nail down the GPU fan curve - it goes full blast, then ramps down to nothing - that's annoying as hell. I'm seeing GPU temps in the 70c range, so I'm trying to cap the wattage and see if that will help keep it a bit cooler.

One of the benefits of going with a 4060 as opposed to any other RTX card, is its power efficiency and heat. I don't need a lot of GPU power, so I should be happy with that card. I mentioned before that I'll wait a month for taking the plunge on that card, but I have my ducks in a row now to use it

Reactions: pshufd

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I really like the look of your TU150 - if I had to redo my build I'd love to have a smaller case, and maybe switch to an AIO cooler just to cut down on the clutter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
maybe switch to an AIO cooler just to cut down on the clutter.
Yeah, no question though I opted for a mammoth air cooler simply because I wanted a dead silent computer and for none game playing activities

Reactions: Cape Dave

TheOtherAndy

macrumors member
May 20, 2018
Outside Milwaukee, WI
Oddly, I am getting tired of the LEDs in my Windows gaming PC.
At some stage, I might have to replace/remove them...
So I went full "sleeper" on my current desktop. I purposely built my current machine in a Rosewill FBM-01 to look as "boring office PC" as possible. I even sanded down and painted the CD drive to remove all the branding. It's utterly silent, too, with just a Wraith cooler and 92mm Coolermaster PWM controlled exhaust (it's an APU build, so no graphics card to cool).

But, I think now I actually want to build a flashy, LED strewn monstrosity with a big honking GPU. Boring office PCs are... boring.
current-tower.jpg

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So, now I remember why I wanted a larger case. The air movement specifically for the GPU is restricted. The front case fan, isn't pushing air towards the graphics card and the only air intake is the bottom case and the GPU fans are spinning up and down to keep the card cool. I'm not having much luck with MSI's afterburner to control the fan, the temps rise up into the 70s, and the fans spin up. I ordered a thin Noctura fan for the bottom case, and I'll use that to push air into the GPU - it may work better then solely relying on the GPU fans.

The picture doesn't do it justice, there's a lot less space then this picture implies

1688382780011.png

Reactions: LeeW

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So, now I remember why I wanted a larger case. The air movement specifically for the GPU is restricted. The front case fan, isn't pushing air towards the graphics card and the only air intake is the bottom case and the GPU fans are spinning up and down to keep the card cool. I'm not having much luck with MSI's afterburner to control the fan, the temps rise up into the 70s, and the fans spin up. I ordered a thin Noctura fan for the bottom case, and I'll use that to push air into the GPU - it may work better then solely relying on the GPU fans.

The picture doesn't do it justice, there's a lot less space then this picture implies

View attachment 2227357

Kind of why I like the bigger cases - you have more flexibility to fix issues. It's just a nuisance if you don't have a convenient place to put it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Kind of why I like the bigger cases - you have more flexibility to fix issues.
No question but I really do like the TU-150. I'll see if that slimline fan will help. Outside of the GPU's fan spinning up, its dead silent, but the fan spin up is a bit annoying.

I was initially displeased with the gigabyte bios/motherboard, but this computer seems rock solid. The 011D computer has this weird issue if I use the power button or put the computer to sleep, it wipes the bios. I never saw anything like it. So if I shut that down, I need to unplug it and then plug it back in, then the button works and doesn't mess with the bios

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So tomorrow the 5600X3D hits the shelves at Microcenter, and I believe you have to buy onsite, no online orders. I'll try to order it online for pickup and then pop over there later tomorrow. Either way, I'm going on a field trip to Cambridge tomorrow. If they have a bundling special, with a GPU, I may partake of that, but the plan is to just get the CPU. If it sells out (which I doubt it, but you never know), I'll just buy a 5800X3D

I'm going to start taking benchmarks of my current system and see how this new CPU will measure up

Reactions: pshufd

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So tomorrow the 5600X3D hits the shelves at Microcenter, and I believe you have to buy onsite, no online orders. I'll try to order it online for pickup and then pop over there later tomorrow. Either way, I'm going on a field trip to Cambridge tomorrow. If they have a bundling special, with a GPU, I may partake of that, but the plan is to just get the CPU. If it sells out (which I doubt it, but you never know), I'll just buy a 5800X3D

I'm going to start taking benchmarks of my current system and see how this new CPU will measure up

Are you in MA?

My problem is that I'm in NH and paying sales tax is a foreign experience for me.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yup, Boston area.

You can maybe try and wait for August 12 and 13th where its the tax free weekend. The tax is only 14 bucks on the 5600X3d, I don't think its worth waiting a month for 14 dollars.

Oh. I was more interest edin the GPU. I would really need to do a whole new build to go back to using Windows on a regular basis. There would be some benefit to doing so for one program that I use that runs via WINE and Rosetta 2 that doesn't perform that well on Apple Silicon. The program on Apple Silicon performs similarly to my i7-10700 but the single-core performance of the newer Intel and AMD stuff would make it better than what I have. I do not want to deal with the power consumption of the Intel chips though.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

View attachment 2227357
I wonder if re-pasting your GPU would help. Not that it is worth it currently since you plan on getting the 4060.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The embargo has lifted for the 5600X3D and the numbers are looking a little surprising

Here's what I'm seeing on my system currently:
1688652148808.png

From JayzTwoCents, he displayed a Cinebench score of 10799/1398 (multi/single) and geekbench 6: 2106/9401 (single/multi).

I'm not seeing much uplift in the basic synthetic benchmarks, maybe in game playing I'll see some better FPS but overall I'm not seeing the value in the 5600X3D. Maybe I'll start looking at the 5800X3D in its place.

• Wow
Reactions: diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The embargo has lifted for the 5600X3D and the numbers are looking a little surprising

Here's what I'm seeing on my system currently:
View attachment 2228870

From JayzTwoCents, he displayed a Cinebench score of 10799/1398 (multi/single) and geekbench 6: 2106/9401 (single/multi).

I'm not seeing much uplift in the basic synthetic benchmarks, maybe in game playing I'll see some better FPS but overall I'm not seeing the value in the 5600X3D. Maybe I'll start looking at the 5800X3D in its place.

Actually watching GN review. It is a good chip for the price and power draw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.