Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
My prediction is that if there’s any new model in the works it’ll launch alongside the iPhone/Apple Watch in September 2020 just as the current one did in 2017.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I wonder if the troubles Apple have had with iOS 13 (and therefore tvOS) have pushed back release of a new generation AppleTV.

They could launch a new box with A13X cpu along with an iPad Pro refresh (and iPhone SE2) in March perhaps?

The A10X in the AppleTV 4k is getting long in the tooth but I wouldn't be surprised if an AppleTV 4K Pro would need to have, say, 8Gb of RAM as well as an A13X and perhaps a cooling rig to allow Apple to have a stable platform for AAA gaming for a few years to come.

I'm also bearing in mind that next year will see the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 come out so Apple may want to have their option before they arrive. Yes, Apple aren't going into the games console business (are they?) but they are competing to put their set top box under a TV.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
Specs are basically only for games, and if you’re not interested in that I can’t imagine there being anything new for streaming movies

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Specs are basically only for games, and if you’re not interested in that I can’t imagine there being anything new for streaming movies
HDMI 2.1 can be useful for video streaming:
  1. Quick Media Switching for instantly switching frame rate.
  2. eARC for carrying high bitrate audio (greater than 1 Mbps), lip sync correction, and better reliability than ARC's CEC implementation.

Reactions: chris4565

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
But the current model it’s 2 years old . Since when will Apple support it’s software ?
I want to buy an Apple TV 4K 3 months now , but I hear the rumours for a new model and i m still waiting .
Honestly I don’t know what to do , I need a tv streamer ASAP but I would like to buy the new one , if ever going to be a new one !!

As far as I know they still support Apple 3 which is 5 or 6 years old. You don’t get new features that are based on hardware but my ATV 3 worked 6 months ag. I have 2 TV’s and purchased an ATV last month. If a new one comes out and it has features I want I’ll get rid of the 3 and move the one I just bought to the other TV. Yes, I think Apple’s secrecy is extreme, as in extremely stupid. Lot of people don’t buy an Apple product because a year or more has gone by and past history says it’s time for a refresh. And then they don’t release a new model and some people ditch the Apple brand. Being told as little as ‘Yes a new model is coming’ or ‘No a release is not in the near future’ would probably lift sales because people would quit waiting if there was no release coming soon and buy the current product.Or if they want a new streaming device and buy something other than Apple then the lost sale is squarely on Apple and their overwhelming desire not to tell people.

stockseer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Florida
I have struggled with Apple TV 4k 'audio-video' sync issues; especially on AT&T TV Now but also in 4k HDR or SDR modes using Apple TV+. I use the newest 2.1 HDMI cables; but I wonder if we really need HDMI 2.1 on Apple TV 4k AND eARC on the TV set itself. Also... can anyone explain if AT&T has made a deal to include TV Now as an app 'within' the Apple TV 'App', on new televisions that now include Apple TV Apps. IF that is the case, it's a big deal for those that want to stream not only from Apple TV+ but AT&T TV Now for live networks 'and' would eliminate lots of the worry about cables or connections.

Reactions: Wolfpup

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I scoured everywhere for a sale on the 4K box and couldn’t find one. You’d think with the TV service they would want to push the box more or at least get rid of old stock. My third generation Apple TV is starting to die and I’m trying to hold off in hopes a new one comes soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: morningsong

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I scoured everywhere for a sale on the 4K box and couldn’t find one. You’d think with the TV service they would want to push the box more or at least get rid of old stock. My third generation Apple TV is started to die and I’m trying to hold off in hopes a new one comes soon.

There’s not going to be a new one soon. If there was going to be it would’ve been introduced this fall. It’s gonna be a at least a year before we get a new one. And that’s assuming they’ll be a need for a new one.

Last edited:

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
New AppleTV 4k hardware would be a boost to sales - and would bring a lot more people to the AppleTV+ content available too.

If they were to launch a games console like 'Pro' 6th generation in a year where Sony and Microsoft are updating their consoles it may bring in gamers too and boost the tvOS games choice.

Reactions: morningsong

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
I scoured everywhere for a sale on the 4K box and couldn’t find one. You’d think with the TV service they would want to push the box more or at least get rid of old stock. My third generation Apple TV is started to die and I’m trying to hold off in hopes a new one comes soon.

We just upgraded to the AppleTV 4K from our old AppleTV 3 and we are very happy with the upgrade. (Even though our TV is not 4K).

I stubbornly stuck with the AppleTV 3--but with the advent of Amazon Prime Video and Disney+ and the annoyance of the getting 5.1 sound from the older box---(Prime Video only outputted Dolby Digital Plus and the inability of AppleTV 3 to downgrade to 5.1--- the new 4K box is an elegant solution. (Bonus of course is native apps like VUDU and Movies Anywhere)

The most immediate and noticeable thing about the AppleTV 4K is the SPEED and responsiveness of the menu and apps (launching and loading).

I mulled getting a Roku or Firestick with the ability to install the AppleTV app etc... but I would miss Airplay and access to iTunes library on the Mac.

I saw open box sales of the AppleTV 4k on eBay... but you would miss out on a free years subscription to AppleTV+?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
New AppleTV 4k hardware would be a boost to sales - and would bring a lot more people to the AppleTV+ content available too.

I doubt that. I betting that having the app on all the major smart TVs is helping the cause more. That along with the free year coming to all hardware purchases with exception of the Watch. Other hardware has always outsold the tv.

Reactions: SalisburySam

morningsong

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
They need an app for more people to join in. I have two Apple TV 2nd gen that stream my media library just fine, with no need to spend $200 for a new one JUST for Apple TV+. I've got a smart TV and XBOX ONE X which handle all my streaming 4K needs. C'mon Apple!

Reactions: Wolfpup

sundialsoft

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Scotland
What's really needed is a new remote. Needs to support Siri (which the current one does fine) and must improve on the navigation as the swiping is so imprecise. Maybe add arrow keys as well as enhancing the touch pad? I find the 4K apple TV to be a superb centre for all my TV apps.

My top Apple TV tip is to get it 'hard wired' into your network via a CAT 5 cable. Don't rely on wifi. I'm using a power line gadget to get to my router and it works so much better than when on wifi.

Reactions: SalisburySam

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
What's really needed is a new remote. Needs to support Siri (which the current one does fine) and must improve on the navigation as the swiping is so imprecise. Maybe add arrow keys as well as enhancing the touch pad? I find the 4K apple TV to be a superb centre for all my TV apps.

My top Apple TV tip is to get it 'hard wired' into your network via a CAT 5 cable. Don't rely on wifi. I'm using a power line gadget to get to my router and it works so much better than when on wifi.

If there was a new AppleTV ready to go last year then surely there's no reason why it can't get a launch this year especially when Apple have a TV service to promote. Maybe at WWDC if there's something software related that would tie into it - eg games?

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Ok, I am looking to buy an Apple tv, but is it a good time to get one or I must wait. I am going to use it for music, hbo go, youtube and probably watch some streams.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Ok, I am looking to buy an Apple tv, but is it a good time to get one or I must wait. I am going to use it for music, hbo go, youtube and probably watch some streams.
No one knows when or even if a new Apple TV will be announced.

I suggest trying to find a good deal in an ATV4K if you want one. Stay away from the ATV4 (HD) unless you get a crazy good deal.

For the stuff you plan on doing with the ATV, you could probably get a cheap Firestick, and buy the next ATV release.

The ATV4k is by far the superior device, but once in the common apps, there is little difference between it and other devices.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
You should be fine. The only consideration might be that no current iOS device support YouTube in 4K. If (and that's a big IF) Google switches to the AV1 codec, that may be supported by next-gen Apple devices since Apple is now part of the AV1 development alliance. I doubt the A10X in the current ATV 4K is compatible with AV1—especially at 4K HDR bitrates. These are educated guesses!

The current A10X powered Apple TV 4K is a streaming/media champ. Really the best streamer out there if you've got any affiliation or predilection for the Apple Ecosystem. The only obvious failing is 4K HDR gaming and I think we'll have to wait for the A14X since current high-end gaming systems with 3-6X the power of the A12X GPU struggle with that.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.