Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holdencommstra

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Sydney Australia
I have a question about the New 2015 lineup of ipods.

The colour of space grey looks darker then the space grey we got midway though the 2012 ipod lineup cycle.

Is it the same colour as the First Space grey we got?

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
I have a question about the New 2015 lineup of ipods.

The colour of space grey looks darker then the space grey we got midway though the 2012 ipod lineup cycle.

Is it the same colour as the First Space grey we got?
Detroitborg made a video on it:
feel free to check it out!

Reactions: Traverse

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
WOW what a forum I found! I've been reading this forum from the start for 2 days now and Iam only half way through! Iam happy to see there are other collectors out there besides me.

Anyway, I found (1) 7th gen silver Classic 160gb in a store the other day and bought it immediately. I want to keep it sealed in the box, but I worry about the battery. What do you guys think? Will it be safe in the box for a long time?

iChernov

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2013
Munich, Germany
WOW what a forum I found! I've been reading this forum from the start for 2 days now and Iam only half way through! Iam happy to see there are other collectors out there besides me.

Anyway, I found (1) 7th gen silver Classic 160gb in a store the other day and bought it immediately. I want to keep it sealed in the box, but I worry about the battery. What do you guys think? Will it be safe in the box for a long time?

If you want to open it - better sell it to me :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Dug out my old friend to enjoy this weekend. I didn't use it much back in 2004 when I bought it and even up till now, it's been used sparingly. i do charge the battery once or twice a year and it still last as long as it did new. I think it was $325 or so back then at CircuitCity.

30GB iPod Photo

IMG_9804.JPG

Ipod Collector 2

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2015
I am still building my iPod collection and this thread sure isn't helping :) now I am even more determined to finish my collection

What models have you gotten your hands on so far ?

Any pics of what you got ? I'd like to check em out if you had a moment to post
some pics of them.

I just got my hands on a Ipod Mini 2nd gen 6gb blue brand new in sealed box for $150 shipped.

A nice lil addition to my collection. It should be here tomorrow, yippie !!

Here's some pics of the last ipod I got my hands on to add to the collection:

It's a 4th gen classic 60gb photo model year 2004. It's a 1st generation model of the
photo 60gb. The 2nd gen model of the same came out in 2005. It came in a black box
with silver lettering on it. I just found out literally this past week that the one I got
here is a 1st gen model in 2004. I didn't know they had 2 generations of this model :)
The box on this one is just a little rough, but it's still completely sealed, so I consider
it worthy enough. Can't find any others new & sealed in the box anywhere online...

Apple Ipod 4th gen Classic 2nd Edition 60gb Photo - 2.jpg
Apple Ipod 4th gen Classic 2nd Edition 60gb Photo - 1.jpg
Apple Ipod 4th gen Classic 2nd Edition 60gb Photo - 3.jpg
Apple Ipod 4th gen Classic 2nd Edition 60gb Photo - 4.jpg

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
Some of your collections are impressive. I was never a big iFan to be honest, but I do own a Fourth Generation "iPod + HP".

I don't think there are very many of us around.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So this is the thread I go to when I want to find a good home for my old photo ipod? I'd sell it on gazelle to make money for a newer touch but the $4 offer doesn't really help.

Reactions: Ipod Collector 2

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Last edited:

peterburk

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
I have an original iPod 1st generation, 5GB, bought in France in February 2002. Serial number U214758MLG6.
I was 12 years old, and spent all my allowance money to pay for half (my parents offered the other half of the price as a Christmas present).
The first batch to the local Apple reseller (CIP) had sold out within a week, while we were on holiday. When the new batch came, the store phoned us, and we drove straight down to the store to pick up the first two units.

In 2003, I upgraded to a 30GB iPod 3rd generation (and Apple then released the 40GB 3rd gen a week later). It was then that I first popped open the case on my 1st generation, had a look inside, and put it back together again still-working. I also joined the iPodLinux project as a forum moderator.

In 2004, the iPod became popular, and many friends in high school and church bought them. They would break their screens or hard drives. I bought broken ones and used the parts to fix other friends' iPods with different problems. And I "backed up" their music libraries, and got really into punk rock. I've since been to many concerts and bought signed CDs, supporting the bands that I shamelessly ripped off in my rebellious youth.

I used an On-The-Go playlist to give a subtle hint to a girl I liked. She said no. I got further with 8 songs on the 32MB Rio 600* that I gave to another girl, but she also said no. But eventually I succeeded! My first girlfriend (6 months) used an iPod nano 1st gen 4GB. See the photo with the Speck iGuy case hugging her! I met my second girlfriend (3 months) by fixing her black iPod Video 80GB. My third girlfriend (1 year 5 months) used a 4GB silver iPod Mini. My fourth girlfriend (1 year 1 month) used a silver iPod classic 160GB, which I also repaired. My fifth girlfriend (1 year 7 months) didn't use an iPod; she had a white iPhone 4S 32GB. But we became friends by listening to music together in her room, and sharing iTunes libraries.

*Pre-history: The Rio 600 was the second MP3 player to use USB (after the Rio 500), and synced with SoundJam MP. Apple bought SoundJam MP and turned it into iTunes. The device driver was left in until iTunes 6, when Palm discovered it, and tried to sell their PDAs with iTunes support. Apple weren't happy, and took out the driver :-(.

By fixing iPods for friends, I collected the following models, some of which are pictured:
iPod 1st generation (working)
iPod 2nd generation (broken)
iPod 3rd generation (working)
iPod mini (working)
iPod 4th generation (many, working)
iPod photo (working)
iPod shuffle (working)
iPod Mini 2nd generation (working)
iPod nano (working)
iPod video (many, working)
iPod nano 2nd generation (working)
iPod video 5.5G (working)

history.jpg

My brand-new iPod classic 160GB was in my bag when it was stolen at a concert in 2007 in Manchester. I then downgraded to an iPod Video 32GB, later upgraded to 240GB in 2012.
From October 2011 to December 2012, I had no left belt clip. I just had a 64GB iPhone 4S, and kept my music on my iPhone.

I then kept a Raspberry Pi inside an original iPod shell as a pocket USB host. http://peterburk.github.io/blog/#pipod
That was on my belt clip from February 2013 to March 2015.

Now I have an iPod video 5.5G with a Tarkan iFlash adaptor, SD to CompactFlash adaptor, PQI Air Card, SD female to microSD male, and SD card inside.

It works as an iPod when the normal SD card is inside (with Apple firmware and Rockbox). If I shut down and put in a FAT32 SD card from a digital camera, the iPod doesn't boot, but I can keep it awake in Disk Mode. The PQI Air Card then shares files from the SD card over a WiFi network, and lets me copy the files to my iPhone. It's a media server and an iPod, all inside the case of an iPod. This will be even cooler when I get my iFlash-Dual SD, which I ordered last week. Maybe I can even fit my ODroid-W Raspberry Pi clone inside the case at the same time.