Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
Dear community,

I'm just wondering if it would be ok to share my story here. Just to let you know how Apple treats loyal customers (using Apple since 2006, iPhones since 2008).

Since May 2018 I have issues with my iPhone 7:
- calls on airplane mode (WiFi disabled),
- unable to connect to the network,
- unable to disconnect from WiFi,
- unable to synchronise iCloud, etc
I'm not happy how Apple Support handling these cases (yes, it's still ongoing).
The only think I've asked them for - to replace this phone or make a refund. I simply don't consider it as safe to use. I'm not even talking about privacy aspect.

Below a short log of what was and is still going on (most probably will publish it in several parts)

29APR18 - received messages and calls while on Airplane mode for the first time.
01MAY18 - received a call again and made a screen-capture.
02MAY18 - contacted Apple Support for the first time. Call 1005240709XX opened. Reset of Network Setting Performed (thanks to Daniel). All WiFi passwords were gone.
05MAY18 - I was unable to disconnect from WiFi. Video recorded and Apple Support informed .
11MAY18 - I was contacted by Vicki (UK support). She told me how important my case is that informed about ongoing investigation.
14MAY2018 - "I hope this email finds you well. This is just a quick follow-up to your previous request. I wanted to make sure your issue has been resolved. If you’ re still having problems, just let me know. I’ ll be happy to help." I told her that issue didn't happen again but I would like to know why it happened and get some kind of proof that it will not happen again.
16MAY2018 - she contacted me again and asked me to send a screen capture I've made as a proof of call on airplane mode even thou I showed this screenshot before while remote session. No problem. Done. She also told me that bugs might happen on every phone being it Samsung or iPhone. (14 min call time)
19MAY2018 - "I hope this email finds you well! I have no resolution for the time being from the Engineering Team. I will be following up with you again Tuesday around 1.30pm."
22MAY2018 - Installing profiles "AppleCare Profile Signing Certificate" and "Apple Application Integration 2 Certificate Authority" from "Apple Root CA", logs collected for the first time. On iOS11 (actually on every iOS before iOS12) you need to connect your phone to a PC/Mac to synchronise it with iTunes to get access to the collected logs. I didn't upload logs because I was on vacation and didn't have stable internet connection to upload 0.7Gb of logs.
01JUN2018 - i've contacted support and asked to re-generate the link to GigaFiles to upload logs.
03JUN2018 - phone was not able to connect to any of the cellular networks for 2 hours.
05JUN2018 - link re-generated but was not working
07JUN2018 - second attempt to use the link, but still not working
11JUN2018 - another attempt to contact support and get a proper link
13JUN2018 - link was working properly and logs finally uploaded
//to be continued//

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's perfectly possible to receive calls while Airplane Mode is on if WiFi is on and your carrier has WiFi calling.

In fact I do it all the time when I visit a particular convention center that has really lousy cel coverage (which drains my battery) but great WiFi.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m still lost what the actual issue is. Calls will come through on airplane mode if the device is connected to WiFi and your carrier supports WiFi calling.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's perfectly possible to receive calls while Airplane Mode is on if WiFi is on and your carrier has WiFi calling.

In fact I do it all the time when I visit a particular convention center that has really lousy cel coverage (which drains my battery) but great WiFi.

I’m still lost what the actual issue is. Calls will come through on airplane mode if the device is connected to WiFi and your carrier supports WiFi calling.
The assumption there being that WiFi was enabled in Airplane Mode, along with WiFi Calling.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
sorry for confusion. wifi disabled and my carrier did not support wifi calls back in spring-summer 2018...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
That is very odd. I am out of my depth here in this case to be honest.
that what every new Senior Tech Support advisor told me as well :D
[doublepost=1553976715][/doublepost]
Have you tried sone general trouble shooting such as reset network settings or dfu restore?

The symptoms sound very odd.
well, issue with calls disappeared itself after reset network, but from time to time i have odd bugs related to the network...

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.